1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah. Honestly, Earth is extremely lucky that it's a non-malevolent salesman instead of, say, The Reach.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

hums I wonder if the fleet would want to try to do something with Mars while they are at it - the 'unclaimed' status type thing is something that they would likely have an even better case for on Mars.

Darko likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Mars may not have anything they would want in comparison to Earth.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  5. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

My assumption is either the obvious, he isn't a member of the Corps, or the other is that Dox looked for people that would Want to do this, and Khan was the only Orange Lantern that fit the profile.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He is a member of the OLC.

Commanding the various orange lanterns to do things is going to be a hassle if they can't find the motivation to do them.

Really hope Jevek or the other Controllers are working on more living weapons like Effigy, the guy had a point that Orange Lanterns aren't exactly all that reliable in a war if they don't feel like fighting.

7. l---erddad---l

Orange Lanterns are really just agents on contract. Orange Lantern Ring in exchange for taking on jobs from the OLC, meaning that in case of emergency there are Lanterns that can respond to emergencies but mostly you want normal weapons and soldiers. Aside from that, though, I feel like they mostly freelance, unless they Want to be be part of running and maintaining the OLC.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The current recruits are most likely warriors that want to prove their worth and skill and fighting an empire as powerful as the Reach, who even the GLC was unable to defeat, will certainly do that

9. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

wait, am i missing something here? why is he following batman's orders if he doesn't have to follow Aquaman's? i thought that deal that OL made with WW and Bats was only for a year, wouldn't it have expired by now?

Darko likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's more used to following his orders and probably respects him the most among the members of the League, aside from Alan and Diana.

BartlettMagic likes this.
  11. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

No, pretty sure the only reason is that Batman is in charge of the Team and the SI is on the Team.

12. l---erddad---l

Batman is in charge of the Team and OL does respect Batman, Alan and Diana the most, so I think if they asked he would have, at most, presented his disagreement but not to that level of snarky shittiness, but I'm pretty sure that was just OL digging in the fact that Aquaman is not in charge of him, considering that heroes tend to assume that every hero involved in the situation will automatically be on their side, OL just wants to dig in that point that Aquaman doesn't get to dictate what OL does.

13. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

The times I remember are early in the story as I said I don't have time to search through the story only for every time paul shot someone for monologuing

As the previous citation's stated he got Krona's help, to attempt to sustain a timeline that didn't exist, Krona while helping time trapper paul (who is technically paul only separated by the time travel shenanigans). He assisted Krona, Krona broke the multiverse hence "helping Krona break the multiverse."

Even ignoring that Para-paul assisted time trapper in re-creating a Neverwhere universe, as seen in the first edit the timeline didn't exist.

If not for the actions of time trapper then Krona would not have broken the multiverse (in the manner relevant to the episode)

Paul knows Krona is bad news as seen by Fallout paul recognising him and time trapper still worked with him.

The citation in the second edit has someone literally falling through the multiverse.

Here is where it is implied that krona was responsible for that universe breaking shenanigans.

Just because something is broken doesn't mean its bad, supersonic aircraft break the sound barrier that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The citation where the multiverse was breaking isn't relevant? The Citation that shows us that the timeline was unsustainable wasn't relevant?

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

I just realized that some of the babies Paul helped the Amazons with would have been born by this point (born for ~6 months, given that the first baby was conceived on January 9th 2011, and we're currently in April 2012)

Do you think they brought in foreign OBGYNs and Pediatricians for the births? I hope everything went well for those kids.

Edit: Assuming the birth wasn't premature, the first baby born on Themiscyra in more than a thousand years would have been around the time Paul was stealing fruit from Eden in Alienated

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Orange Lanterns aren't really reliable period.

Now, if the Controllers are really smart, they wouldn't even go the living weapon route and instead be trying to recruit Alan to have him build a Blue corp so they can phase out Orange Light users.

16. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

I mean, it's not necessarily their first rodeo with childbirth even if it has been a long time. Maybe they got doctors in from outside. But I consider it if anything more likely that ancient midwives dusted off their scrolls and refreshed their memory in the months before the births started as well as prayed to Hera.

17. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

For those of you unfamiliar with Lord Manga Khan as he appeared in the comics, one of his many corporate projects is a mail order elocution course that teaches you how to speak melodramatically. The Lord Manga Khan School of Melodrama.

That is not a joke. Comics, everybody!

18. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

They might even be a little better than many modern doctors as it better not to give birth laying down and modern doctors have a tendency to (somewhat) lazily use C-sections to get it over with.

Darko likes this.
  19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I woudn't worry about the Amazons, I would assume that Eileithyia, goddess of childbirth and midwivery, would be in their divine rolodex.

20. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

The burden of proof lies on you. I've given an example of something that might convince me and if you can't provide evidence, then it doesn't really matter whether it's because you don't have time or it doesn't exist. Either find me something to convince me that OL would not be willing to listen to a monologue or stop making the claim.

Unless you can convince me that OL is responsible for that? Yes. ...but I'll go into that below.
    Frankly, I'm not sure you understood what you've been saying here; Vaermina holds the position that Time Trapper was essentially the final boss and that, by helping him, OL has fucked up the multiverse. I started off looking for Vae to provide evidence or arguments for that so when you say that they 'bent' the multiverse, you're either moving the goalposts or totally missing the point.

As to the actions of Time Trapper, your logic seems to go pretty much as follows
    • P1. If OL and Time Trapper are the same person, they are liable for each other's actions.
    • P2. OL and Time Trapper are the same person.
    • C1. They are liable for each other's actions.
    And
    • P3. OL is liable for Time Trapper's actions.
    • P4. Time Trapper tried to work with Krona.
    • P5. Time Trapper is responsible for the actions of those he works with.
    • C2. OL is liable for trying to work with Krona and for the thing Krona did.
    The problem here starts with premise two. OL and Time Trapper were the same people but they aren't now and I wouldn't blame OL for something Time Trapper did any more than I'd lock someone up for the crimes of their identical twin. Things Time Trapper does reflect on OL to a degree since they are things he would be willing to do in the same circumstances, sure, but he's not in those circumstances and so he didn't do those things.
    Since P3 is based on the first conclusion, it's also bunk and P4 is reasonable but P5 I have issues with. Time Trapper presumably either didn't think Krona would betray him or knew all this would occur so either he didn't expect everything Krona did or he anticipated everything. Since the outcome seems pretty positive, I don't see an issue with the latter and while the former is rather negligent, it still doesn't make him fully responsible.

So yeah, if you've got an arguement for OL being responsible for bringing harm to the multiverse, I'm happy to be convinced.

21. AlexUgalde

AlexUgalde Getting sticky.

Could someone find me all the Indigo Lantern chapters that took place in the 'The Boyz' universe, or teach me how to find them myself efficiently? I'm new to this site format, thanks in advance!

22. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I seem to recall something about Paul asking to rejoin the team when he came back from establishing the OLC. Perhaps he said he'd follow Batman's orders then.

BartlettMagic, Vorian, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  23. Threadmarks: Low Politics (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

6th April
    04:23 GMT

I'm standing in what appears to be a communal area on the command sphere of the Cluster ship, people-watching. I've identified several species so far, some wearing the symbol of the ClusterCorp and others not. Not everyone here is employed by the ClusterCorp directly; some are contractors while others actually pay for a berth and make money taking advantages of the opportunities Comic King creates. Some of them are AIs with robotic bodies and others are wearing the same sort of power armour as Comic King himself. Less garishly decorated, though.

A gold-coloured L-series robot floats towards me. The model is highly customisable, but even though the head matches what I saw over my ring that doesn't mean that it's the same individual. If it even has human-equivalent intelligence.

"Greeting, Illustres."

"Hello. I'm sorry, you didn't say your name?"

"I am L-Ron, majordomo to-."

"I said majordomo to-."

I frown. "I'm not sure-?"

"Majordomo to-."

There's a thud on the far side of a nearby door.

L-Ron sinks slightly in the air.

"Excuse me."

L-Ron turns away, floating over to the door control panel and extruding a small tool which it proceeds to insert into the door's control system. It chimes, the door opening momentarily to reveal Lord-Lantern Comic King on the far side.

"I, Lord-L-!"

The door closes again.

"Ah."

Why did we give this guy a power ring?

"Should I go out and come in again?"

"No, we can pretend that this didn't happen without you physically leaving." It disconnects from the door control. "This time for sure, m'lord!"

"Understood, my loyal servant, secretary and lackey!"

L-Ron floats in place for a moment.

"I've asked him not to call me that."

"Maybe you should consider unionising."

BLAAARP BLAAARP BLAAARP-

The passers-by dive for cover behind pillars, seating, suddenly appearing rows of chest-high walls or their more solid looking co-workers.

-BLAAARP-!

"Oh dear. You-"

-BLAAAAAAAAAAAARP!

"-shouldn't have said that."

I don my armour and generate construct armour. But… Nothing appears to happen.

"Um."

"Perhaps they need oil-"

Gatling laser turrets on ball mounts deploy from the ceiling, the walls, the floor and a flower bed.

"-or perhaps not."

They fire, and… They're lasers. If I was an unarmoured civilian, this would be quite deadly. As it is, my construct armour is entirely untroubled.

"Not an organised labour friendly environment?"

"To say the-" A stray laser shot hits him and deflects off his highly reflective outer casing. "-least, sir."

I raise my left hand and destroy each turret with precision bolts of orange light.

"Just so we're clear, Lord-Lantern Manga Khan is the one with the ring and not you, right?"

He doesn't breathe, but I hear him sigh.

"That is so, sir." He pauses. "Ahem!"

"Ready!"

"I am L-Ron, majordomo to..."

The door slams open, and a figure in gold armour accessorised with a purple-with-orange-trim cape strides through.

"Lord-Lantern Manga Khan! Which is me!"

And there's an orange power ring on his left middle finger.

"Here to gather resources from this world for the fungible glory of ClusterCorp! Earth's economic and fiscal distinctiveness shall be added to our own! Its financial systems will adapt to service us!"

Why, Dox? Why did you do this?

"Our thirst for profit knows no bounds! The resource requirements of ClusterCorp is my sole consideration! My first upon waking!"

His species doesn't sleep.

"My last upon retiring! And already as the Earth's planetary government reacts to our arrival with confusion, other free economic actors heed the call of profit! As the sole supplier of off-world services, ClusterCorp and licensed affiliates is perfectly placed to take advantage of a favourable trading environment!"

There's a brief pause, and one of the ClusterCorp employees hiding behind a raised bed risks sticking his head up and clapping-.

"Not yet!"

He ducks back down again, arms over his head.

"And light-touch regulatory regime!"

"M'lord, they don’t yet have a regulatory regime."

"Then its touch cannot be anything but light! Furthermore, opportunities abound for establishing permanent trade posts and inflating demand further! What we exchange during the initial contact period is but the smallest fraction of what long-term transactioneering might profit us!"

Well… Nice to know that he's thinking long term.

"Even outside of our core competencies, opportunities abound for tech-divergent leverage! Already, multiple requests for freelance peacekeeping support services have been forwarded to our outsourcing-handlers!"

Ooooh… Dear.

Alright, the League can sort of blame me for that one.

"But now I will consult with my valued external operating partner, the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, providing a full briefing on corporate strategy so that on the morrow we may begin synergising with local assets and begin value-extraction in the most expedient manner!"

"I'd be happy to, but-"

"Excellent!"

"-I'm afraid that a full consultation will have to wait. I have plans tomorrow."

"Plans?! What plans could possibly be of more significance than the day upon which I, Lord-Lantern Manga Khan, first arrived at your planet?!"

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that Dox did this to screw with OL for all the shit he put him through.

And he may want to screw with him in a more sexual manner also.

I'm fairly certain that Dox's type of romance is similar to that of a Cardassian, that being arguing with his potential partner until the romance part.

Dox, while brilliant in many areas, is shit at interpersonal relationships, so it makes sense he would do this.

And he also doesn't have that high tastes, he did date Blackfire in the comics.

25. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Good question. Paul better have a good explanation.

26. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I’m betting there’s a 75% chance it is for someone’s birthday party/birthday present.

27. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Well, for Paul, tomorrow is a tuesday. That means game night and he's finally painted his 5000pt army.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well we know his priorities can be a bit skewed after the whole enlightenment thing, so there is a high possibility that he considers a friends birthday to be more important than the sheer clusterfuck Earth is about to undergo.

29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Is the robot L Ron meant to be Hubbard?

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because he wanted revenge really really badly, and this was the method with which he decided to get it.