1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Control through Compassion - MCU/Lantern Corps

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by JeckJack, May 26, 2020.

1. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

Can Lantern rings restore people to their youth? I mean if he does this he can restory Peggy which might be a good thing IDK? Lantern rings are pretty OP.

2. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Saint Walker once used a Blue ring to restore a star from "dying NOW" to "chill! we got BILLIONS and BILLIONS of years to go!". Of course, he was utter bullshit in a way few ever are.

On the other hand, just altering one biological entity's age is cake. The main example was a loli aging herself up to fuck Hal Jordan, but the principle is the same.

3. the RED and the BLUE

the RED and the BLUE The Lurker at the Threshold

Truly, a crime without equal.

4. W0lfbr0

W0lfbr0 Making the rounds.

Is anyone else having trouble with the color of Bucky's speech or is it just me?

JeckJack and Edifier like this.
  5. henkalv

henkalv Know what you're doing yet?

It isn't exactly easy to read on pc, but on my phone is was practically invisible

JeckJack likes this.
  6. JeckJack

JeckJack Mask Seller

I changed it back to the normal text color to be easier to read. I was trying to show that he was emotionless, but I think that gets across either way.

7. MadMarx420

Wasn’t Saint Walker A very faithful and hopeful man and had his ring powered up by the hope and faiths of an entire planet? Like I don’t see our MC doing something that insane any time soon lol. Healing a person though I don’t see why not. SHIELD and the Avengers will probably see the appeal of having a healer on the team.

ParaDXThrowaway likes this.
  8. MadGreenSon

Like I said, he was utter bullshit in a way few ever are.

Yeah, even though Indigo isn't perfectly optimized for it, it can do it and can also borrow Blue to do it better.

9. MadMarx420

Even if Indigo can't heal as well as Blue, the fact that it can emulate the other lights to a degree makes up for it. Sounds super useful, doesn't also have that stupid ass "can't create constructs with out green lantern" thing as well which is nice.

Also what does the main character look like and do they have a Lantern uniform?

I've always liked this as a uniform.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...h)_0004.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170106042024

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  10. MadGreenSon

Which was, by the way, an artificial limitation. Blue was made subservient to Green on purpose due to it otherwise being very powerful.

11. MadMarx420

Wielding hope from what I understand is much more easy than it is to wield Will and since Hope is a powerful and common emotion Blue had much more power behind it, thus it had to be limited. Blues were created to support Greens not to be a much more powerful standalone lantern force. Or atleast that's my headcanon and it's what I'm sticking with.

Youshallnotpass likes this.
  12. MadGreenSon

Yeah, I figured Ganthet was afraid to replace the Green too.

MadMarx420 likes this.
  13. JeckJack

JeckJack Mask Seller

She doesn't have a uniform yet.

And she looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The art is apparently based off a Fire Emblem character? But I haven't played any of the games, so I don't know. I just thought it was a really cute design.
    Edit: In the first chapter, when her ring identifies her by name, the name is a link to this image.

ParaDXThrowaway likes this.
  14. Kaseywolf

Kaseywolf Having ideas I'll never act on

7/10

The mc can't really use her powers, note I don't understand the ring much and know not a lot, but if she can't wear it and can't use it that means she's weaker as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong there.
    Regardless that's my biggest issue it seems counterproductive for a power ring to brainwash thier own user but I also know that the lantern Corp is very... Wrong for lack of a better word.

Also no sex yet but I mean keep going. Let's go!

Good luck writing!

15. MadMarx420

The art does look really nice, funny how the hair and eyes goes with the indigo ring. on the topic of the power ring, I do hope she finds a way to use it. Seems a shame to give someone a Indigo ring and just you know ignore it?

16. Threadmarks: Chapter 7 - Helping Heal
    JeckJack

JeckJack Mask Seller

"I need you to hope for the Bucky Barnes you knew. For a Bucky Barnes without brainwashing, one who remembers you."

"Okay."

I wait, looking at Bucky, who seems to be... about as okay with this as he is with anything else. And then the blue glow of my staff starts to intensify.

"Remember. Free of brainwashing. More than anything else, we're trying to heal him from his programming. Alright?"

"Right."

Okay. Let's give this a try. I unleash the beam of hope into Bucky, and he flinches, steeling himself to remain in place as more and more of it pours into him. He's practically suffused with it. Blue spreads inside of him, making him glow. And then the glow becomes more intense, and starts to pool in his head.

His eyes are practically blazing with it.

He starts to breathe harder, and faster, but it doesn't look like he's panicking yet. I watch, then, as the blue shifts, and starts to pool at his shoulder, the one where flesh met machinery. Blue light pulses there, and then rushes out. Soon, every small opening and joint in his mechanical limb is an opening for more blue glow to shine out of, the machinery rumbling in place.

All at once, the mechanical arm bursts apart, sending metal fragments in every direction, and leaving an ethereal arm of hope energy in its place. It looks almost ice-like.

"Bucky? Are you alright!?"

"I... Steve? Steve what's going- my arm? What happened to..." he watches, mystified, as his construct arm gives the appearance of thawing, starting at the shoulder. Rising up off of it like steam, the blue recedes, leaving healthy flesh behind.

I let the blue light taper off, and smile at the two of them as they simply stare at Bucky's new functioning limb.

"Alright." I say, "Looks like my part in this is over." I look to Zola, "So, have you located Klaw yet?"

"Yes Madam. Ulysses Klaue is located in South Africa, hidden inside the beached ship Churchill."

"Did that big orange thing just talk?" Bucky asked, turning his gaze from Steve to me and Zola, "Wait- was that Zola?"

"It's a machine built by Zola, that he put everything he knew into." I say, "Zola's body died in the 1970s."

Bucky went wide-eyed, "Wait I- oh god." he stumbled back into the couch, sitting down and putting his head into his hands, "I remember the seventies." he looks up at Steve, and went wide-eyed. "I... how are you still so young? Did... did they freeze you too? Are you okay? Are we okay? Are we-"

"Buck! Buck, we're safe. This- woman. Adeeka?"

"Ah-tee-kah." I repeat.

"Atika, she saved you. I- I was frozen, but it wasn't by HYDRA. My plane went down near the arctic near the end of the war... I was just found and thawed out last week. Um. The year is 2011 now. It's October. I didn't know what had happened to you until she brought you here."

Bucky looked over at me, several emotions warring in his face, before he wipes it again with a hand- one that was metal, a minute ago. He stares at his arm again, before looking back to me, "I- thank you. Thank you so much. You... my arm, and my head. But... do you think you could hide them again?"

"Hide what?"

"My memories." he said, "Of- of everything since World War II. God. Maybe some of that, too. Most of that." he closes his eyes, "Maybe all the way back to high school? Not that things were nice then, either." he cracks a sad smile, "Maybe I should just get a clean sweep."

"Buck."

"I- never mind." he says.

"Is that what you want?" I ask. "Because I probably could."

He thinks about it, hard, before looking at Captain America's pitying expression, and he steels himself again, "No. No, you've already done... a lot. The rest I'll just deal with."

"Okay." I say, "But if you want to change your mind, I can try. And if you want to deal with things... I'm assuming the therapists here in the future are a lot better than the ones they had during the forties. I don't actually know anyone who can help, but I could look a few things up."

"Right. Thanks. I owe you."

"We both do." Captain America adds.

"It's fine." I say.

"It really isn't. Why did you do this? Save me?" he asked, "It couldn't have been easy. I saw all the guards in the room."

"The reason is that I hate Hydra." I say, "And while I agreed to let Director Fury prepare stuff for a while before actually going after the organization, I still wanted to try and fix some of the things Hydra has caused in the meantime."

Bucky nods, looking guilty.

"It's not your fault." I say.

"I know. But it was still me doing it. Even if they made me forget everything- I was still pulling the trigger every time."

"They had you killing people?" Steve asked, sitting down next to him, and throwing an arm over his shoulders.

"Yeah. I was their perfect assassin." he shook his head, "Not a single failed mission. I killed good people, bad people, normal people. Planted bombs. Hell, I planted evidence."

I sigh, "Well... you don't have to do anything like that any more." I say, "I'll just... let you two get reconnected. Actually... I don't think anyone followed me, but technically, this place is watched by Shield. It's possible Hydra could come knocking. If you want I could try and find you somewhere safer?" although honestly I had no idea where that would be.

"No need." Bucky said, "If we need to move suddenly, I already have some places in mind." he said, "And... you said this place was the Retreat? Built by Banner?"

"Was it?" I ask.

Bucky nodded at the same time Zola answered "Yes."

Bucky glared at him for a moment, before looking back my way, "This is actually a pretty isolated spot. There aren't any HYDRA nearby. If they know I'm here now... well, they might start coming, but if we have any kind of warning, we should be able to get away safely."

I look at Zola, "Can we do for Bucky what we did for Fury? Give him access to the Hydra stuff without letting them know?"

"Of course." the computer screen, which was on my video, switched suddenly to a display of the Shield network. Bucky raised an eyebrow and walked over, clicking through a few things, before nodding in satisfaction.

"Thanks. This... this is good."

"You understand how that stuff works?" Captain America asks, standing up to look over Bucky's shoulder.

"Yeah. Had to learn. Can't be a decent spy these days without it. Or assassin. Everyone uses computers these days." he smiled, a bit, "Don't worry, I'll teach you."

"If you guys are okay... I'll see you sometime." I announce, heading for the door, "I still have a few more things I want to do today."

"Thank you." Captain America says again, "If you ever need anything, well, don't be afraid to ask."

"Anything." Bucky affirms, "You gave me my life back."

I smile at him, before heading out the door, and flying upwards. Zola hot on my heels.

Once we're a good distance away from everything, I turn to him, "If we're going to be spending time trying to fix what Hydra broke, we're probably going to be going into a few war zones."

"Yes."

"I really don't want to die." I say, "Not to bullets, or bombs, or- anything else. And I have an idea about something that could help me get around that little problem, but I want to know just how stupid of an idea it is, first."

"You would die."

"The Hulk lived."

"Because of what is a suspected genetic mutation combined with a weak variant of super-soldier serum designed with the main focus of being able to resist truly incredible levels of radiation."

"Could you give me what Bucky had? Or Captain America? Would that help?"

"Hm. Potentially." the face on the screen shifted slightly, showing an image of the Abomination, "Ah. I have an example of the potential effects. Emil Blonsky. A special-forces with the British Royal Marines. The combined effects do seem quite potent. And he was less enraged than the Hulk."

"I don't really want the... bone plates and vein-iness." I think for a second, "Or to go berserk."

"I cannot mitigate that risk entirely." Zola said, "Or at all, actually. Gamma is by its nature extremely unpredictable, and all Hulk-like creatures we have witnessed have gone on rampages at one point or another."

I sigh, "Well... we might as well go see Klaw, then. If just being bullet-proof is off the table, then I'll want that armor sooner than later."

"Plotting map to Ulysses Klaue."

From the US to South Africa, "Crossing the ocean, huh? That could be fun."

Although after about an hour in, it really wasn't. Flying is wonderful. It just is. And I could do it for hours, and have done it for hours, but that was with stuff below me to look at. Usually wilderness. Not that the Atlantic isn't beautiful, it's just empty.

At one point, I simply had Zola make a chair and windshield construct, and I kicked up my heels, got out my DS, and played Pokemon as we flew. I should really make a construct-lantern out of something comfortable to ride. Hm.

Australia has a bunch of invasive wild horses wrecking their ecosystem, doesn't it?

"Zola! Another thing on the list!"

"Yes Madam." he says from below me.

Klaue looked down from his office to the interior of the Churchill. There, dozens of men worked side-by-side to pack and repack missiles and other weapons.

He sipped at his drink, before looking back to his computer, and the messages waiting there. He sighed softly, before sitting down and pausing.

Something was off.

He looked behind him, at the doorway, but there was nothing there. Nothing from the window, nothing under his desk- everything was orange.

The cheap lights at the top of his office, and that had been fitted everywhere inside the Churchill, were yellow. The light in his office right now was orange. Why? He looked straight up, and then shrieked. He stumbled back, tripped on his own chair, and hit his desk. There were fucking glowing deep-sea fish in his office! Glowing, flying, fish!

And then it began to spit things up, and made more of them!

"Fucking leeches!" he screamed, grabbing his pistol and aiming at a snake-like thing with an evil looking circular mouth. He fired, but the things all startled at the sound, swimming here and there and everywhere in his office. He kept firing, knocked out his lights, sent a ricochet into his computer, until he ran out of bullets and got nothing but clicks from the pistol.

He threw it at the biggest fish there, but the thing just ate it. It ate his gun.

He scrambled to the door, and tried to get it, when one of the leech things suddenly dropped down nearby the handle and coiled partially around it.

"L-look! I don't want any trouble!" he said, "If any of you can... talk? I can talk! What do you want?"

One of the leeches still swimming about spit out something, a ring- which transformed into a big... old television, with a camera on the top of it. Glowing just as orange as everything else.

The screen shifted, displaying a partial face dominated by two round glasses.

"Klaue, Ulysses. Born April 20, 1964." it spoke, "I was told you are the person to speak to if one is interested in obtaining vibranium."

"You heard right." he said, relaxing, "But it's not cheap."

"I am afraid that we will be not be purchasing it. You will give it to us."

"And why am I going to do that? You can threaten my life all you want, but-" he tried, forcing a cocky smile, which fell away as he was cut off.

"Because it will be the right thing to do." the thing interrupted. The fish suddenly swarmed around a small spot in the roof- a hole. One of dozens in the old, rusty, ship. He heard the screech of tearing metal, and watched in horror and fascination as they chewed open a hole to the surface. The computer suddenly grew two robotic claw-hands, like from a claw game. They surged outwards, clamped down on his shoulders, and then lifted up and into the air.

It flew with him, shooting up higher and higher and higher, until he was suspended above the clouds. He couldn't even see his ship any more.

He turned around, and looked at the woman waiting for him, up in the sky. She was dressed trashy, but wasn't hard on the eyes otherwise. If you, you know, ignored the glowing symbols on her face and arms and belly, and the eerie glow in her eyeballs, and the menacing staff that hurt to look at directly. And the way she was waiting for him in the sky.

He forced a smirk, "So! The going rate is is 10,000 dollars a gram, but since I appreciate your showmanship so much I'm going to-" he watched as she reached up with her free hand to her fanny pack, and pulled out a little purple ring.

"Ring? Designate Klaw as a secondary user." she said, interrupting him.

<Designation accepted.>

"Um."

"I'm sorry. But don't worry, as soon as you've done what I want you to, I'll take it off again. I promise. Okay?"

"UMM."

She holds it out, and he tries to move his arms away, ball his hands into fists, but the television gives him a short electric shock that forces his arm to spasm, and she slips the ring onto him. The television released him then, but he just kept on floating in place, held up by some kind of purplish energy field around his body.

Klaue looked down as the collar of indigo light formed around his neck, complete with a little medallion with the same symbol as she had on her forehead.

<Ulysses Klaue, welcome to the Indigo Tribe. User unfortunately does match qualifications for control ring requirements. Altering ring protocols. Certain freedoms restricted.>

Then, he began to panic. "Shit. Shit! I- I just sent a shipment to the Ten Rings. I need to stop it!"

"A shipment of what?"

"What else? Missiles! Nasty ones, old Stark tech. The kind of shit that doesn't just kill people, but makes sure nobody can ever walk on the ground you killed em' on. Crap. Where-" a map suddenly flashed into his mind, "-okay!" he began to fly off, ignoring for the moment that he had no real idea why he was in this situation, or what had just happened.

He could only focus on one thing, right now.

Stopping those missiles from reaching their destination.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  17. MadMarx420

Excellent chapter as usual, really looking forward to the next one. :)

Can't wait to see how she plans on upgrading herself. Will be interesting to see which path she takes. What I'm really curious about is how people will react to her basically brainwashing people with compasion. Probably a bit freaked out and uncomfortable at the very least.

18. MadGreenSon

That's the thing about the more extreme colors of the Emotional Spectrum; they're madness. Despite all the shit piled on them, the Guardians had a very good reason for choosing to use the Green. Even Blue and Yellow are far less stable, everything past them is straight up crazytown in either "direction"

I really like how you're showing just how fucking dangerous this shit is.

19. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Huh, using an Indigo Ring in the way they were intended to be used. That's an interesting change of pace from other Lantern SIs

20. MadMarx420

THIS! They probably had some idea of what the other colours can do but at the end of the day you're weaponising emotions that shit is by default absolute madness. Especially with the really weird powers you get from the other colours. The fact that the worst the green light can do to you is make you a bit more stubborn is by itself a miracle. Someone with mastery over a lantern ring with no restrictions basically has gods dev kit, since as long as you have the imagination and power to do something you can do it, no matter how insane it may sound.

Is it even possible to control it without it messing with your brain?

21. MadGreenSon

No. That's the point. Filling yourself up with pure willpower is far less likely to make you a crazyperson than doing the same with hope, fear, rage, compassion, avarice, or love. Like, by a damn lot.

Green isn't totally safe either, but it's a hell of a lot less of a gamble than the rest.

22. MadMarx420

I wonder what effect a white lantern ring would have on you.

caspian1a, TinyDeath and PawningPanda like this.
  23. Reader_as_a_Hobby

Reader_as_a_Hobby Versed in the lewd.

That's actually a weird one, it kinda makes you Enlightened but you know... To normal people that might not look Good either

24. MadGreenSon

None of them induce what one could call a natural state of mind.

25. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

Silly Atika, forcing him to act with compassion =/= forcing him to do what you want.

Now he's gone haring off on his own Compassion Bender, just like you did, and you'll probably have to wait for the Ring to run out of power, because I double he'll willingly stop helping people by giving it back.

If you actually need his help to find the vibranium stash, you'll probably need to brand him, then make him want to help you.

26. abercrombie fizzwidget

abercrombie fizzwidget Gone for Good

You know normally I rather hate the Indigo Light, for reasons implied rather clearly by the lack of self-defence utility, but it rather grows on you when you see it used like this. Still probably used better in pairs, not even including the required handler, though.

Edit:
    Yeah you've got'a go all the way back to square one with respect to how your personality and reasoning is derived from more base emotional drives. Not a easy thing to do.
    Personally I'd say that its insane states, which I like to call "Alignment/Attunement Poisoning", is more useful or stable then the rest. You wouoldn't exactly call Batman sane.

27. Erik Phantom

Erik Phantom Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair, unfettered Green over sufficient lengths of time seems to be just as bad, as it makes you into a dispassionate monster of logic and cold, ruthless, and absolute pragmatism. It just seems to take so long to do so that the Guardians, being the only beings to mainline pure Will for millions of years straight, are the only ones who seem to have ever fallen to it.

Them wanting to wipe out their own Green Lantern Corps for having free-will and being 'chaotic' seems to have been the result of said corruption or over-use/reliance of the Green Light, which shows it does also have adverse mental effects eventually. Edit: Still safer short-term than all the other colours, but by no means completely safe, trustworthy or good in-and-of-itself.

28. MadGreenSon

I'd say it's not really possible to do while still channeling the raw power of a monomaniacal emotional state through your mind and anyone who says they can is probably lying. You can be reasonable, or you can use the power of the Light. One or the other.
    I wouldn't call it poisoning. I'd say it's a natural consequence of using that kind of power.
    Honestly, I think the Guardians get a bad rap. Statistically speaking, they fuck up a lot less than could be expected. It's just that they are so powerful and have been around for so long that their fuckups are both of profound magnitude and there are quite a few piled up now. Considering how long they managed to hold the line and not destroy everything, I'd say they still did about as good a job as could be reasonably expected.

29. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

The Guardians don't count, they literally severed themselves from their emotions, Will was the only thing they didn't cut out. Green Lanterns don't go insane from Will because they still have their emotions in working order.

30. abercrombie fizzwidget

abercrombie fizzwidget Gone for Good

You could say that about any emotion and you're acting as though having multiple ones is any better.
    Yes but you'd also call poisoning a natural consequence of taking poison so I'm not sure why you're making the distinction.
    Um. No? I'm'a go with no.

Youshallnotpass likes this.