1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I'm trying not to be too picky here... But...

Evil OL has multiple Orange Rings, the Orange Central Lantern, the Left Eye of Zoltan, protective tattoos, pet JLA (and thus their resources), body armour. Very likely mage killers and crumblers, other nasty stuff. Mr Zoat has implied he's also got the Right Eye (invulnerability, immovability, super strength/speed/senses). And, any exotic abilities he thought worth acquiring that he can have without being Enlightened.

SI OL may be able to defeat him, most of his alts would have to work really, really, hard. Being able to stack the Left Eye and Orange Light is not something anyone half-ways sane would want to face.

Am I missing some bit of logic here? It feels as though I might be.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Jaron, zeebza, Chaoswind and 4 others like this.
  2. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

It's not a video game lol where you get positive and negative karma. Doesn't matter how much supposed good you're doing, evil is evil. This Zoat is basically an insane rapist who's probably mind and soul has probably been fucked up by the Orange light, and no number of good deeds will change that. This is like saying that if someone turned our society into a Star Trek like society but on the side they fucked kids, it would be fine because they did more good than bad. The best thing to hope for is that this version of Paul is obliterated.

Also a bit out of the blue but Zoat does the main Pauls version of Constantine have the Synchronicity Wave?

Jaron, Fellow, Darko and 1 other person like this.
  3. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Zeus wanted to kill Paragon because he convinced Hera to divorce him.

Zeus has actually done way worse shit than what Tangseid has done, just on a much smaller scale. I liked LSD but I'll call him this if everyone else does.

4. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Didn't say it was a videogame. Or even that you can't kill him after he's laid the groundwork for some manner of utopia.

Just that I don't think he's really doing enough to get the reaction he has been getting.

He's brainwashing some people and sometimes he has sex with them. Sure. That's bad. But for the reaction he's been getting I'd expect something like he's going around personally flaying all of a nation's first born children and making leather products out of the skins he took from babies over the course of said flaying.

5. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

I personally think the reaction is justified. Evil is Evil, doesn't matter if it's major, minor or in the middle. Brainwashing people into doing things they'd have never done if they weren't and changing peoples minds/souls to make people want to do what you want and in some cases have sex with you is rape. In fact it's worse than rape. AFAIK it's been stated that orange lantern mind-control is very thorough and effects the soul.

It's disgusting and vile. It doesn't matter if he did it once, or twice the fact that he did it is enough. IMO, it's is one of the more evil things you can do, unlike other crimes, you don’t accidentally commit rape. It’s not an act that is committed in a moment of anger, it's not a crime of passion. It requires active, sustained and calculated thought to go through with it.

In the end no matter your reasoning, if you start messing with peoples minds/souls to force society to go in the direction you want to regardless of what others think and on top of that using that to change people to make them want to have sex with you, then the only thing you deserve is death. It's not even a few people, I believe unless I've read it wrong he's permantley changed the souls of 10s of thousands of people. Utilitarianism is something that I've never liked and never will. Same with the whole "Ends justify the means" belief.

Honestly in general, I'd be sceptical of what anyone who uses a lantern ring says, especially ones like orange. Since no matter how smart or how you think channelling pure emotion into you is not going to make you mentally well adjusted.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Ngamer11, Fellow, Darko and 2 others like this.
  6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Nah.

Paragon had his huge Crisis already.

Grayven should be the one dealing with Evil Paul.

Ngamer11, Fellow, Darko and 4 others like this.
  7. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

To me about the only good thing to come out of Tangside's way of doing things is that Batman has very likely hooked up with Catwoman instead of the Demon Spawn.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's an important fact you two are missing about the Greek Gods.

They are giant hypocrites.

Yes Zeus may go around raping women, but if someone goes out and rapes someone connected to him, well, we know what happens to that person because there are actual Greek myths that talk about that. And it's Death and Fate Worse then Death for the perpetrators.

9. Hidden Variable

Hidden Variable Know what you're doing yet?

Let's be honest, most of those protagonists are morally repugnant and resemble NTRMen or dubcon hentai protagonists more than they do functional people. As while there is some quality stuff on this site, it is still the fetish pit.

WhiteNoise and Fellow like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Oh believe me I'm pissed at the other things aside from the sex, like rewriting the personalities of the other heroes. It's just that when we got to WW we saw how far he's willing to go even after that.

Just because you can commit some evil after commitng a previous evil it doesn't mean you should. That's really shitty justification for you actions.

I can say that fucking WW is pointless and serves no purpose since it doesn't benefit society or the greater good in any way. Altering her mindset so that she gives him the Purple Healing Ray or lethally dealing with unrepentant monsters can be good things, but that's it.

It really doesn't even benefit him all that much since a lot of people would consider his justifications for why he's doing that to her and any others to be half-assed at best and try to stop him. They may agree that some of the things he's done are good and some as being necessary, but why the fuck should he indulge in such depraved actions and still be allowed to stay on power when they don't serve any purpose.

Another problem with this Paul is that he's been corrupted by that chemical and possibly the Left Eye, as well as the ring, and he indulges in some fairly disturbing shit that serve no purpose and he feels no regret for them.

Letting someone that has been corrupted like that keep any sort of power without making some alterations to them is not just immoral, but incredibly stupid.

Sybarite is also corrupted somewhat by the demons he's consumed, but he's still got enough sense and decency to not do the shit this one is doing. He told Roulette that they didn't have to have sex to work together and accepted Tupence no longer wanting to have sex with him. He also didn't immedeatly decide that Diana being hesitant to sharing her tech with him means he needed to mind wipe her.

Baul was forced to work for the Syndicate and after it fell he was a wanted man that would have been killed without a trial so he needed to keep working for them to survive. He can also feel regret for his actions and know that what he is doing is bad.

Fantasy one did have sex with his thralls, but he altered the mindsets of sociopaths to lose their worst traits and didn't make them want to have sex with him, they chose that on their own. He was actually hesitant when they offered.

This Paul is so far into his corruption he indulges in depravity with no regret, he wasn't forced into doing the things he is and he doesn't need to keep doing them since he's in power now and continuing to indulge in depraved shit is just asking to have rebellions be formed against him, he doesn't regret his actions and has about a million shitty self deluded justifications for his actions, he also didn't limit his worst traits to just villains, but to the actual good guys.

Yeah leaving someone like that in charge without making alterations is just stupid.

There was this one Kurt Russel movie where a mean rich woman loses her memories and Kurt's characters pretended like their married. We see her struggle with her new life until she eventually fell in love with him and they got together for real. We were meant to agree with the actions of Kurt's character since she was a mean rich bitch before, but if this happened in real life his character would have been arrested and she would have been sent to therapy.

Jaron, Ngamer11, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  11. ChiChi

ChiChi I trust you know where the happy button is?

what book was it?

Darko likes this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A book by Harriet Taylor, who may not have existed in this universe.

Which book it is exactly it doesn't say however.

13. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

With the forced end to warfare in this world, I would expect that there are actually more rapes occurring every day on Paragon's Earth than there are on this Paul's Earth.

If you believe that superheroes are to blame for the results of inaction (i.e., the "Batman is responsible for Joker's murders, because he could just summarily execute him but doesn't" point of view), then one could argue from the same utilitarian perspective that Paragon is the evil one here for not taking over the Earth.

GodKiller999 likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm more against this version because of the fact that he does depraved shit for no good reason and that leaving someone so corrupted in any position of power without altering them is incredibly risky and stupid.

And while it is somewhat true that if paragon took over things may be better, that isn't exactly a guarantee.

Paragon isn't evil since he doesn't engage in evil actions, or has what might be called an evil mindset.

The times he commited things we may call evil against people was to purely evil people like the Citadelians, not to innocents.

Yes paragon can do some questionable things to accomplish his goals, but he doesn't indulge in anything but the bare necessities.

Ngamer11 and Fellow like this.
  15. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

I think that evil is still evil, whether or not it's done to evil people, it's the why that I believe matters. With the Citadelians he knew he couldn't reasonably change them without completely rewriting the way they think like what was done to WW in this iteration.

Ngamer11 and Darko like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah OL couldn't make the Citadelians better without some deep level alteration that he wasn't all that comfortable with, so in order to destroy the hold they had on Vega he had to kill a lot of them.

This Paul likely didn't need to go to the extremes he has, especially with the heroes, and he certainly didn't need to do the things he did after the mind-wipe, seeing as they don't serve any purpose.

He also didn't do some of the things he did after the mind-wipe because they somehow benefited society, but because he wanted to indulge his depravities.

He may have somehow justified it to himself that making them into sex slaves somehow serves society, but that's a shitty justification that holds no water.

Paragon did his act of mass murder because there was no other reasonable way to remove the Citadelians from power in Vega, and after he did that he was trying to not do something like that again and trying to adopt more diplomatic methods.

This one is still engaging in his evil shit even when it serves little to no purpose aside from indulging his evil, self deluded nature.

Ngamer11 and Fellow like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Under Zoat's own rules about the Ring not being able to effect Magic, the Eye and Power Ring should be incompatible together since the Eye would be covering his body in a magical effect.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade was able to infuse a bit of his godhood into his ring to track where Roy was being held when he was behind wards.

He was able to assimilate a Lord of Order.

Sybarite is basically in the lead for getting the hang of absorbing demons and magic.

Paragon was able to take some of Sephtians magic after he went to Hell, he's able to assimilate demons, a Lord of Chaos' familiar.

The Ring is able to affect magic, but it may not be all that easy.

Ngamer11, Fellow and GodKiller999 like this.
  19. Ej190

Ej190 Making the rounds.

Considering how Paul managed to overcome the entire Justice League in that other DC universe (the uhhh, Hope Paul stuck in evil DC?), I can see it being a distinct possibility.

Orange ring+meta knowledge Vs a Justice League that doesn't have their own version of master stranger protocols? EvilPaul probably didn't even break a sweat. ESPECIALLY if he went after Batman first.

Gotta say, this version of Paul actively makes me nauseous. Took a while for it to sink in, but the image of him tying Diana to the OCB, mindraping her to the point of erasing her original personality is really really disturbing. It's even more horrifying as the event is being described as E-paul is making out with the meat puppet.

Vorian, Ngamer11 and Darko like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Eh... You shouldn't defend what was effectively a Dues Ex Machina.

That Eye that was mentioned only exists on Silver Age Earth, which means that Paul is on Silver Age Earth, which means he should have gotten curb stomped by everyone since the weakness he might use to defeat them don't really exist.

So told honestly, Evil Paul's story would have ended with Batman pulling out some Anti Paul spray, Superman showing up and going HAHAHAHA I am immune to your everything, or Wonder Woman turning into a god and kicking him in the balls hard enough to turn him into a woman.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat doesn't exactly like to write about the Silver Age due to its OP nature, so even if the Eye was Silver Age Zoat may have downgraded any OP abilities it has.

Even Silver Age Supes and WW have weaknesses that could be exploited and this is most likely not their Silver Age versions.

If he attacked Batman when he was unprepared and didn't know everything about him it could have worked.

Batman is a brilliant detective, but he's not Tatteltale.

Believe me I would like for the Silver Age versions of these guys to beat the living shit out of him, but it's unlikely to happen sadly.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Ace Dreamer

Straight Utilitarianism is a decent start at a rational philosophy, but it breaks-down badly if you push it hard, in a number of ways. This is one reason that Virtue Ethics as put forward by Michael Sandel has been proving popular, in reasonably recent years - it seems to handle a number of things that Utilitarianism stumbles over badly, in ways that fit in with the human sense of fairness, and the sort of society that Western liberal philosophy seems to think reasonable. If you want to dig into such issues I'd recommend checking out Stanford.

The great weakness of Utilitarianism is the same as the weakness of reductionist science, as was parodied by TerryP in 'Thief of Time', with the Auditors. It leads you to highly suspect reasoning about what is 'right', under certain circumstances. Virtue Ethics, in its original form, was mixed in with views that don't fit modern societies, but the Sandel version looks to function far better. Part of the essence is asking yourself questions like "Is this the sort of behaviour that fits with the sort of society that we'd like to be living in?", as a test to ensure your reasoning hasn't gone off the rails.

Why might the above be 'On Topic'? Because the philosophy of the SI has really major impact on the story.

I'm guessing this is Harriet Taylor, so a copy of her Complete Works would make sense, and be a good present for Diana/WW.

protoss16, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

These various versions of Paul are basically to show us how the SI would have developed differently.

The ones with different rings show how he would work with a different mindset.

The ones with an orange ring were shown how they would be like if they got another power source, Sybarite, made more sensible decisions, Common Sense, if they didn't use their ring, Peter, gave themselves something extra to compensate for lack of ring charge, Angel, or as the recent one showed, how an OL that went full utilitarian and abandoned conventional morality completely would be like.

24. Ace Dreamer

The problem with 'conventional morality' is that it isn't coherent, more 'I'm not happy with this, but I can't tell you exactly why'. If this sort of thing interests you I'd recommend checking-out Sandel in his role as the 'Public Philosopher', where he gets people to explain their views, and then teases-out the reasoning that they think they're based on.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually Silver Age Superman took the cure for his only weakness.

26. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Coriander

azqs, Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  27. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Imagine being such a moron you forget that Story only threads exist.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Are you talking to me? Because the entire point of the story only thread is to not post there.

IsActuallyBatman and Darko like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Koriand'r to be exact.

30. Threadmarks: Plutonian (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

12th April
    11:46 GMT

I watch as the nascent fleet reaches orbit.

Fascinating.

Koriand'r frowns in puzzlement.

"They seem so primitive."

The Russian Space Fleet launched entirely without rocket blasts. Instead, they built magnetic subterranean launch rails and anti-air resistance force fields to shoot them off the planet, the ships' own main drive providing the extra thrust needed to make orbit. No one part of the design is new to me, it's just that most species who go into space don't.. use those sorts of methods. Usually, they either build their ships in near-planetary space or they've got sufficiently advanced drive systems that they can take off without special arrangements. Launch rails like that are pretty much… Just used for… Bases on low-gravity planetoids, where it's more efficient than strapping boosters on.

"I think the most technologically advanced part of that whole arrangement is the launch system."

The ships have railguns as their primary armament, and I silently thank the Russian government for not putting nuclear torpedoes on the things. Their guns already have the power to shred anything in the system built on Earth. They… Might even be able to take a fight with a Martian ship of equivalent mass, assuming they could see it. They're slower and less agile, but then Martian gunnery isn't anything to get excited about. Particularly at long range.

"I was expecting… More."

"Why?"

"Some of the devices you carry are so advanced. Compared to what exists in Vega. I assumed that your ships…"

"You knew that we didn't have any."

"I knew that you hadn't built any for many years. There are species who are advanced but have no interest in travelling in space. Those are less advanced than the first ships my people built after settling on Tamaran."

"Yes, but it's more progress than we've made in the last fifty years so I'm calling it a success. I've learned.. to accept baby steps."

And I'm bracing for Russia to decide that they're no longer going to contract for NASA, which is going to leave the North American Space Agency entirely bereft of ways to actually get into space. Would the United States of America be prepared to put in the money needed to resume the space race? For an openly nationalist not-dictatorship like the Russian Federation this sort of national vanity project makes sense. It increases national pride and distracts-.

I narrow my eyes and look down, glaring at the Director's Siberian research centre. There's a flicker of resistance from the basic wards the local shaman probably put up, then…

The Director's not there. I move my attention to Moscow and try to spot-.

Ring, compare that to the usual death rate in Moscow at this time of year?

Substantial increase on seasonal norms.

I mentally pull up a copy of police reports and begin checking people off. Yes, they're cleaning house. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, there was a substantial rise in criminal gangs all across its former territory. With the fire sale of national assets and various types of civil servant not getting paid, I suppose that it was inevitable. Back on Earth Prime the line appeared to be 'don't make waves and you'll be left alone'. But here, with the Director and the President both being pro-internal reform…

The Russian mafia has drawn the attention of something infinitely its greater. Batman sent us a briefing document on the reform of the Russian Federal Police, but I didn't really pay it all that much attention. Looks like the mafia didn't either.

Starting to think that I may have been working on the wrong continent.

"Alright, nothing for us to do here. I'm sure that once everyone stops panicking we'll get an intelligent summary."

Koriand'r blinks at me.

"Are we not going to greet them?"

"No." I consider who I'm talking to. "While I imagine that knowing that Tamaran exists will do wonders to spur on humanity's efforts at space exploration, those ships don't really have an easy way to take on space-going travellers. They've undoubtably calculated every mote of energy and thrust, and… This is a matter of national pride. If I start hanging around it's just going to annoy them."

So, where next? Back to Themyscira, and lurk outside of the meeting hall like a ghost at the feast? Happy Harbour? There must be some people who don't know that the Mountain is operational again. Gotham?

That's actually not a terrible idea.

"Koriand'r, how about I show you the city where I live?"

She smiles. "That would be most delightful."

"That just shows that you've never been there. Follow me."

12th April
    06:49 GMT -5

It's early morning here in Gotham. Early morning joggers are out doing circuits of Robinson Park, though I've missed my usual meet up with the Nguyens. Some traffic noise but no screams, explosions or gunshots.

Koriand'r appears next to me and looks around in fascination.

"This is very different to Themyscira."

"This is a bit more representative of modern Earth cities. At.. least, in the more prosperous parts of the world."

"Some parts of the world. A plant elemental turned the whole place into a forest last year, and when we persuaded him to leave he replaced a lot of the foundations and pipes with plant growths as a peace offering. That's why… You see the bridge-"

I point.

"-over there, how the third support along doesn't look quite like the others?"

"I see it."

"It's actually made of a type of ultra-resilient wood. There was a huge argument between the city government, the state government and the national government about whether they should leave stuff like that in place, remove it due to safety concerns or remove it for study. They only left it there because no one wanted to pay for replacing it properly."

"How..? Long did this take?"

"What, the argument? About four weeks, I think."

"How long did it take for the plant elemental to cover the city in a forest?"

"The initial surge of growth was about… Four minutes? It kept growing until we negotiated an armistice."

She turns her head to regard me curiously.

"You are telling me that the plant elemental turned this city into a forest in four minutes?"

"Roughly four minutes. Maybe a bit less. I wasn't monitoring it precisely."

"And now the only sign that it happened is an oddly textured bridge support."

"And some people scream if you sneak up on them while holding a plant." I snort with amusement. "And the sewer system is self-cleaning. Honestly, if Swamp Thing wasn't such an idiot he could make a fortune offering that sort of thing as a service."

I turn to face the direction of Gotham Police Central.

"Come on; let's see if Commissioner Gordon will let us ride along with anyone."