1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Again, that's skill, not competence.

The closest we have to a Paul with actual competence is Peter Wynn, and well, even he's a bit questionable at times.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

[Nods in British.]
    Thank you, corrected.

3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Courrected.

WhiteNoise, Ardy and Mr Zoat like this.
  4. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Given this, is there any particular reason Paul hasn't/won't request further information on the Starros from Dream? Or his archive, as the case may be. Sure, he probably won't get a response, but it might give further information on them, and I'm having difficulty seeing how the attempt would hurt.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Doint it quickly does show that they had no way to fight back. Doing it slowly would make it look like he was torturing them for fun, making fewer people want to actually cooperate with him. And he was able to provide Armsmaster with a recording, there's no reason he couldn't distribute that recording further.

Unless he decided to put off engaging the Endbringers until he had more information about their capabilities. With enemies as powerful as they are, proceeding with caution is only prudent. Considering that you go on to criticise him not doing more research:
    Your claim that he should have immediately picked a fight with the most dangerous beings in the world seems... counterintuitive.

6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I can't reconcile a shake of the head as body language which is congruent with the meaning 'I don't know either'. To me, "shrug my shoulders" would fit much better.

7. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

Blue Lanterns :)

So glad Alan’s ring doesn’t have the dumb willpower dependence that the corps in post-crisis and so on has.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah. Hookwolf is also a particularly nasty case, as he's an unrepentant murderer who apparently joined the Nazi gang to have someone to help him break out of transports to the Birdcage, and he once wounded Vista (who was about eleven or twelve at the time) badly enough to need stitches. Unlike Canary, who had an accident with her power (on its own) attacking her stalker ex, Hookwolf deserves the Birdcage at best. Somehow, he doesn't have a kill order, despite being a multiple-murderer who keeps escaping from Birdcage transports. It's apparently really hard to get a kill order, if you're not a bio-tinker.

True. Kalmin would have considered that a silly idea, and I think Ganthet and Sayd built it in so that the other Guardians would be less offended by the existence of the Blue Lanterns.

Ngamer11, Ardy, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  9. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I'm quite unclear why you linked to an audio-visuals company, but, I thought it'd be a youtube link to someone being outraged... Reminds me of the comedy sketch about what "Richard The Third" stands for in cockney rhyming slang...

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

It was supposed to be a manga chibi saying "LEWD". Annoying that it was not.

Fixed it.

11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

The Salarians uplifted the Krogan.

I don't really think many Krogan would say this made things better.

Vorian, Ardy and Xmaster3000 like this.
  12. Vlad

Vlad I trust you know where the happy button is?

Anyone else think True Polymorph would be a apropriate punishment for species or individuals who's biology and instinctual imperatives make them too dangerous to let live?

Are you a species that needs to eat human brains(ex:Ilthid)? Get a permament transformation so you don't have to.

13. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

He is very young for an Elemental.
    Humm… does he count as a Hope Elemental or a Will Elemental?

Adorable.

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  14. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Kori and Kom: Blue and Orange morality :)

15. Mr Zoat

Sooo...

The Lord Protector.

At the point in time where he ended up on Earth Bet, Mumm-Ra is double-dead and Thundera is stable and reasonably prosperous. They have two big population centers and dozens of smaller ones, a food surplus and are industrialising. Their government is in theory a parliamentary republic, but the travel distances and poor infrastructure means that parliament doesn't meet all that often and Prime Minister Khoah runs things. The Lord Protector has a mostly symbolic role. Emergency law is a thing of the past, though they kept some farms for convict labour.

Shortly before those segments Mumm-Rana (who the Lord Protector likes to keep occupied because otherwise she throws dog biscuits at the locals) located a cache of non-native technology. A tracing spell led them to Earth Bet, as it looks like someone with planeshifting technology was using Thundera as a bolthole. They don't know who.

The Lord Protector's current stance on supervillains appearing at Endbringer fights is that it's like paying danegeld: probably better than not paying, but being strong enough not to need to pay is better still. Everything he knows about running a state (which at this point is quite a lot) says that a unified and stable state is better able to fight than a mess of gangs. He may well be wrong for Earth Bet, but his conclusion is not an irrational one.

16. Bolo

Bolo Know what you're doing yet?

It’s kinda sad to see Paul just shrug and say it’s better not to know so that he can have a “clean ending” on something that bothers him..... is this what happened to the big heads on Oa....

17. Mr Zoat

I'm afraid that you've got that sideways. A 'clean ending' would be him knowing exactly why the Star Hunters did what they did. In his mind getting that would require a great deal of time and effort for little practical gain.

18. MadMarx420

It’s the side effect of updating daily and writing about a story taking place in a setting you don’t know much about. You’re bound to make mistakes and do things that may in theory sound legit but don’t make sense in setting.

Could LP Paul have done better? Sure.

Does he know about Cauldron/Scions true nature and the true nature on how parahuman powers work? No.

So LP Paul doing what he’s doing now when you take all that into consideration especially with his history, him doing what he’s well doing makes sense. It’s still a bit too trigger happy but that’s more to do with writing about a setting you know very little about then Paul himself.

Truth betold there’s wanking on both sides, for worm and DC and I won't deny that I was a part of that but that's the inherent problem with dealing with out of context situations and trying to get too wildly different settings working together.

On the topic of this chapter. I’m liking it so far. Blue lantern wholesomeness is always a good thing imo.

19. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Yes! I much prefer Starfire with a Blue Lantern ring.

I really hope Kalmin or Alan can create one for her. Her personality fits it much better, and I can see her rapidly applying the skills she learned as an Orange Lantern towards the color that suits her better.

She might be an even faster flyer than Paul now :)

And I know she would love to fly around bringing hope to people, and healing those in need. It perfectly fits her to a T.

20. Ace Dreamer

While 'plan-shifting' tech would be remarkably useful, I suspect you meant 'plane'.

I do like this explanation!

A couple of provisos, though. If the one with the tech has a shard (i.e. is a cape) then they are either dead or haven't used the plane-shift themselves. Maybe they used robots (or non-cape minions) to set things up in their bolthole?

One way to read the Worm setting is that capes depend on their shard-link (some certainly do) or the shard gets nasty if the link breaks. The brain damage is generally fatal. A related issue is that powers shut-down beyond about Lunar orbit distance from Earth - can't let the experimental rats out of their cage, you know. Going to other dimensions (inside the Entity fence) is OK (Cauldron have a base on another Earth), probably still an issue if you then go beyond Lunar orbit. This power-loss isn't instant death, maybe, whereas going firmly outside shard range may well be. Worm canon is inconsistently consistent. :)

The little detail of capes not having powers which are 'portable' (allow them outside shard dimensional link range) is often overlooked by fanfic authors. Did your Taylor Hebert (aka Skitter aka Weaver aka Khepri...) who is now in the DC Universe bring the other-dimensional Earth which has her shard, Queen Administrator, resident on it (probably at least a continent-size of it) along for the ride?

Kori getting hopeful was fun!

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    How do you know that Thundera isn't on an alternate Earth?

22. MadMarx420

A quick look at the wiki shows that there's a "third/first earth", which probably means that Thundera isn't Earth or an alternate. Now I won't pretend that I know a lot about Thundera but if the world looks nothing like Earth, has different continents and the people are genetically different from humans, then it's less "alternate Earth" and more different planet in a different solar system.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It may be the same planet in the same solar system, but no humans evolved on it, the flora and fauna evolved differently, the continents shifted differently etc.

24. MadMarx420

That's a possibility that I considered but again as someone who doesn't know anything about the setting according to the wiki theres a world called "Third Earth" which in the past was called "First Earth". So unless I'm wrong this is pretty much confirmation that "Third Earth" is Earth. If this is the case then Thundera cannot be an alternate Earth.

25. Ace Dreamer

Unless there was dimension-jumping going on? A bit like The Long Earth?
    (But, probably more difficult to travel between them.)

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. MadMarx420

Possible but I haven't read that book so I can't really say for sure.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Possibly the person planning to use Thundera as a bolthole didn't know about the range limit, died, and their body was eaten by local predators.

28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

They went from being the meal of super predators to being a stellar super power thanks to the money and expertise they were given... So yeah it was absolutely great for them... If only they could hold back their instincts and NOT have their females lay a thousand eggs a year they would have ended up being on top of the world.

Krogan complain they were used by the other races (the Citadel alliance wasn't just the salarians) and then discarded, but if that were even remotely close to the truth they wouldn't have gone from madmax post nuclear collapse tech to stellar superpower capable of going toe to toe with the council in a single generation.

Krogan have a victim complex that doesn't survive a detailed scrutiny of the facts, same as the Quarians and the Geth. (and the humans too).

Now back to the chapter, not a whole lot happened, but Alan making a blue lantern or and a ring would be certainly welcome, even more so because Guy will probably try to do it as well and the Guardians will be annoyed.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thundera is the name of the Thundercat civilization/City state in the 2011 series.

In the first animated series it was the name of their planet.

Third Earth is the planet the cats wound up on after the rebellion against Mumm Ra in the 2011 series.

If it is the third planet from the sun then I'd say that it's highly likely it's an alternate Earth.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  30. MadMarx420

Third Earth, yes it’s likely that it’s an alternate Earth but isn’t LP Paul from Thundera the planet?

Cuchulin likes this.