1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

appears? the phrasing's a bit awkward

This bit confused me. If Beautia is talking then I expected her to be mentioned here?

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    She's explaining to Alan.

3. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

It would be awesome if you gave the purple-healing ray to police and they just healed everyone at the scene (that can be healed).

Heck, if you bring down the cost of manufacturing enough, it could be in everybody's first aid kit. Even if it is a few thousand, preppers and survivalist would still buy the ray for their emergency supplies. At a few thousand, "medium-high risk" businesses might buy them to lower insurance premiums.

Hospitals will close, replaced with "walk-in" purple ray clinics. Tens-of-Thousands of Doctors and Nurses and Support Staff will be out of jobs and unable to find new work as only Regional hospitals will exist (for the few things that purple ray can not treat). Johnson-and-Johnson might even go bankrupt as almost no one will buy anything bigger than a band-aid again. It will be pandemonium.

IT WILL BE GLORIOUS!!!

Eris is very pleased. Because Paul is about to destroy the medical industry as we know it. :D

Darko, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Zoat's can't, you think people would remember that.

5. Mr Zoat

Well... No. It doesn't work on bacteria or viruses, and it won't replace missing body parts. It also won't fix certain types of congenital condition.

6. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The purple death ray / heal ray drones that Grayven use are in part Apokalypse tech, with the direct ability to communicate via Soul, if Grayven is a walking connection to the source and has a metaphysical presences for them to leach power off of, that'd be the 'tether' they'd draw on for it.

On earth 50 he specifically salvaged parts from the other Grayven's Gordanian ships to build his drones....some sort of Node iirc.

New God powers and tech are Source Based and hit that 'is it magic or tech?' levels of advanced, they do use it far away from their home worlds. This could just be a Solved Problem for New Gods, and Father Box worked in the solution as a matter of course when they were deployed.

Does leave OL in the lurch, but his ring can handle basic healing on it's own, and he did have enough biological data on the Evil Space Beaver / Lantern to quick fab cybernetic eyes for him, I think he had the data to do basic healing for 'stabbed with a bunch of nails'

He's used the Ring to Clone blood and tissue, blood for vampires wasn't functional UNTIL it got zapped with a Purple Ray to add that life like zest. The cloned tissue is for the telepathy based neural shock grenades. Don't know if Those need a zap to work off planet, but he has used those in space before, such as the sparing match on Oa.

Ngamer11, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Have a 'magic battery' strapped to the ray? I'm sure that's feasible. Whether it 's rechargable or you need to replace/recycle is another matter.

(I prefer 'battery' to 'capacitor', BTW.)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Where? The two quotes I get from here are:
    And here
    These are not the same as saying "Endbringers contain a galaxy's worth of matter". The quote says that Endbringers can draw upon multiple realities, in which there is materials which Endbringers can use by transmuting it and pulling it into the reality at which the core is. That ability is rate limited, with the maximum rate being near the core. I recall it being stated that a single attack with enough power to crack a planet would be enough to kill them, but I'll concede that I can't find a quote right now.
    That.. is very arguable. Entities collectively might have encountered glow based technology, though in that case it would not surprise me if a state of war exists between entities and the Green Lantern Corps. They haven't, however, shown any such abilities (unless, again, you assume that Miss MIlitia's power is a green lantern technology derivative). Moreover, given Scion's behavior and inability to handle its emotions, it would be very surprising if they knew glow manipulation, as that, at its core, is emotion-based technology. So, at the very least, these two entities are unlikely to have (mastered) glow technology.
    The issue is that they don't know ring's limitations and they can't effectively model his enlightened decision-making processes. So, they can't be sure what kind of information he has at any given moment, and they don't know what kind of decision he will make based on a given set of data. If they knew either of those, they could reconstruct the other after some time, and get a reliable model from there. But they don't know either of those.

Vorian, Ardy, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  9. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

From the wiki:

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I am going to guess you forgot that the Lord Protector pranced around like a braggart in front of Tattletale and her Shard.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That's how a witch in Vertigo powers her spaceship.

Magical battery that absorbs the mojo generated by the sex cult she cynically created to get the mojo generated by a cult worshiping a god that is just a well hung schmuck in a mask.

She flew back to the Moon only to discover that Lucifer was waiting for her

And of course, Alan, in pretty much every iteration but YJ, has a green lantern power ring that is powered by magic, not willpower.

12. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah, but those are not exactly in the majority of cases. The small clinics could handle bacteria and viral cases. Maybe keep one or two patient rooms just in case.

Most congenital conditions (in my area) already have to go to the regional hospitals anyway.

When I say "Hospitals will close", I mean like the ones in the rural small towns. In my town of 3500, it would go from a full hospital to a basic clinic with an X-Ray machine (just to make sure bone fragments are not in the way). We already don't do surgeries, emergency surgery cases are flown to a big regional hospital a couple hundred miles away. We haven't had a scheduled baby delivery in 15 years (might start next year, rumor has it we finally found a Doctor capable). We have a Physicians Assistant (one small step down from Dr.) whose been wanting to retire for years but can't until we get a new Doctor, or two, preferably three.... She might still not be able to retire if we don't get the Staff. We have a real hard time bribing Doctors to come our way because there is not a lot of money out on the Plains.

Then, suddenly 50%-70% of patients will disappear because Purple-Healing-Ray is just that much better. No, our hospital would not survive. People would have to drive the couple hundred miles to get those things treated. Thousands across the world will be out of jobs in five years when the Purple Rays go commercial.

Wetbananas, Cuchulin and Vaermina like this.
  13. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Reasonable enough, but the speaker's at least a little ambiguous and "Tia" hasn't been namechecked in three paragraphs. I'd prefer to have some sort of dialog tag for her, somewhere between "we switched to human trials back in December" and perhaps "if it gets approval for widespread use," as a sort of mental keepalive to let the-hypothetical-me be confident Beautia is still the main interlocutor.

(Is it intentional/significant that this chapter never once uses the name "Beautia"? I thought perhaps that the SI's real name policy was accommodating nicknames, but his narration is quite diligent about spelling out e.g. Wallace and Richard.)

14. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Thank you very much!
    And it helps the other shards how? Plus, given that she collapsed as soon as he arrived, the textual evidence points to cognition enhancing powers having severe issues with even just being in his presence.

15. Mr Zoat

I think it's clear enough.
    She specifically asked him to call her 'Tia'.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Shards communicate with each other...

And her passing out doesn't mean her Shard isn't still watching and listening to everything that's going on...

Oh, and that's not her powers having an issue, that's her power going into overdrive.

17. Threadmarks: A Week in the Life of (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

12th April
    22:03 GMT -5

I'm not looking forward to this.

But there's never going to be a good time. I'm at home, sitting on the settee and I'm as up to date on Earth affairs as I can reasonably be.

"Ring, contact Clarissi Dox."

Compliance. Call pending.

I offered to book Koriand'r in at a hotel, but she preferred to take Alan up on his offer of m-. Of his spare room. My old room. Jade's apartment doesn't have a second bedroom or I'd have offered to put her up myself. She appears to be enjoying her time on Earth so far, including the alien starfish fight. I suppose that there are only so many times you can fight pirates whose ships aren't capable of threatening a Lantern before it starts to get a bit dull.

Good news about the healing rays. KordTech's valuation -and Ted's personal wealth- was increased hugely by his magic weather control system, and unlike in the field of power generation there don’t appear to be any competitors. Which surprises me a little; Mark Mardon may be resident in Iron Heights but his technology exists. I've strongly been considering trying to resurrect his brother to get access to it myself, but… Perhaps that doesn't have the best of associations.

"Illustres."

"Clarissi."

No facial projection. That's usually a fifty-fifty with Dox, and I haven't noticed a particular pattern. I assume it's based on whether he's working on something he actually needs to look at or not.

"Slight problem."

"I am aware that Manga Khan resigned. The fleet which you requested remains en-route to Earth and you already have the authority to replace him."

"He quit after the outermost planet in our system turned out to have a Mother Star inside it. In point of fact it was mostly Mother Star by mass. The Mother Star is dead and we think we got all of the rest of the Star Conquerors. The Mother Star's corpse is currently in-system. Sending scans now."

"A shame that no record of the bioengineers who created these macroorganisms exists."

"Preliminary investigations suggest that it was magic. I'm still looking into how it was achieved. Do we have any telepathic Lanterns available?"

"Lantern Nax may become available in the future, but at the moment I need her to focus on countering Reach bio-infiltration techniques. The L.E.G.I.O.N. xenology team will have to suffice for now."

I nod.

"I'm sure we'll cope. Earth is getting the expertise required, but we're still organising things. Is the fleet briefed on the Sheeda?"

"The limited information you assembled was included in their briefing documents. Do you have any information indicating that their return is imminent?"

"Depends what you mean by imminent. I'd say 'yes', but given the time frame involved and the recent incident with Krona that could be years away. The only good news is that it can't have already happened."

"If I thought that anyone understood what changes you made at Vanishing Point I would accuse you of misusing your language's temporal tenses."

"I can't give away what I don't know. Though I do know a couple of time travellers if you want me to try and get a more helpful answer."

"Do so. You should strongly consider them as recruitment candidates."

"I.. don't think either of them like me well enough for me to want to risk giving them a power ring."

"Work on them. We may require their expertise."

I nod. "Since the Sheeda are time travellers, I might be able to persuade them to cooperate that way. It's not in either of their interests for our civilisation to be destroyed."

"Whatever you think best."

I nod.

"One other minor thing. Lantern Koriand'r has been experimenting with Alan Scott's ring and she's got rather a knack for it. Have you given any thought to us expanding the range of colours we use?"

"Why?"

"Useful people respond better to other colours. Plus, if we don't, someone else might. I can talk to Lantern Ferris about having her train Violets, we have Alan for Blues, and I'm sure that we could find someone for other colours."

"Other versions of you, for example."

I'm glad he didn't mention Sinestro, if only because for him to do that he'd have to have already decided to do it.

"I'm not sure how to get in touch with all of them, but yes. I'm a fairly reasonable guy. There's almost certainly things we could trade for their help."

"I'll talk to unaligned maltusians about it, though I'd rather not split our focus. The Controllers are being somewhat slow in aiding us in building up our fleet resources."

"Perhaps some of them would prefer other colours as well?"

"It's possible. Is there anything else?"

"No, that's it, thank you. Illustres out."

I lower my left hand, mentally accessing Lantern Nax's file. Ah. Well, I'm working with the entire Sivana family, I can't really complain. That sort of thing is why I wouldn't have minded getting a psion or two on staff. Though I suppose that a dominator's cold disinterest would be better than a psion's active malice.

Or maybe a scientist from New Genesis? I doubt that they'd go for it…

I sigh inwardly.

Next call.

"Call Kalmin."

"Compliance."

"What?"

"Thank you for taking this call."

"Still alive then, Illustres?"

"So far. Look, Alan's ring and personal lantern are working really well. He's rejuvenated, he finds making constructs… Fairly intuitive. What would I have to do to persuade you to make another one?"

"Another blue ring?"

"Yes."

"The process is catalysed by my emotions. To make another one I would have to have something new to hope for. And that's not even counting the payment."

I nod slowly.

"What sort of payment would you want?"

"Sinestro's head. I can't think of anything else that I want."

"I'll get back to you. Illustres out."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  18. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

is -> it

19. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

I can hear the whining from the League already if he does.

20. Idkusername

I’d wouldn’t -> I wouldn’t / I’d not

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I can think of at least three things she doesn't know she wants but probably would if she knew about them.

1) The data gathered on the Anti-Moniter fragment.

2) The data gathered during his fight with Krona.

3) An introduction to the Sivana's.

22. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Either one of these could end with Kalmin accidentally an entire branch of the multiverse.

23. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

He. Kalmin is the weaponeer.

24. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Well at least he's clear cut about his desires.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Much much less of a chance then what Time Trapper did.

Which means it's at a completely acceptable risk level for Paul.

Istaran, RGFJ, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Or... there’s the Medusa mask. Wonder if artificial Hope is as good as the real deal.

27. Idkusername

Would you like an imaginary pacifier with that equally pointless comment?

Darko, Hell's Razer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Medusa Mask destroyed several Black Lantern Zombies, so apparently so.

29. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I'm not trying to thread-police but that is kind of uncalled for. The vast majority of comments posted basically anywhere could be classified as pointless, just because you don't like the person who posted something is no reason to do this.

If you have something actually against what they posted or an actual response then fine, but it seems pointlessly uncalled for to do this.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... Here's a question...

Why doesn't he just ask the guy to send him a copy of the Blueprints so Alan can make his own rings?