1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Things to watch/read?

Discussion in 'General' started by Selias, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Would you say that the manga or the anime is better? I'm making a list of things to read/watch while on my stationary bike, for when I finish The Dresden Files. I'm not interested in reading the light novels, since I want to be able to see the characters.

Should I add A Song of Ice and Fire to that list? I'm not a big fan of angst, but it seems like an interesting universe.

Any suggestions for other TV shows, anime, manga, or books?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I've only read a bit of the manga but there's nothing particularly special about it. The anime is surprisingly good for a harem series; there were even a few parts in the first season where I teared up a little. Given that I don't generally watch or enjoy harem anime at all, that really says something.

Selias likes this.
  3. Aerhyce

Aerhyce Making the rounds.

TBH, the light novel contains a dozen or so illustrations per volume, covering new characters, memorable scenes, etc...so you can visualize all the characters pretty well.

(Can be found translated and with illustrations here).

4. Selias

Selias Well worn.

How did I know that someone would suggest the light novel, despite my saying that I wasn't interested in it?

Smuthunter likes this.
  5. Trilonias

Trilonias I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should totally read Don't Tell My Parents - I'm a SuperVillain. It now has a 2nd book in the series, I Blew Up the Moon. Also, any of the Vorkosigan series. Those these are actual books... I'm kinda behind on anime and manga... latest anime I watched was Puella Magi Madoka Magica Rebellion. I was alerted to the fact that it was on Netflix by someone on a forum... I forget where and who, otherwise I'd thank them. I guess it depends on the type of story you like?

6. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Oh, I remember hearing about that book. As for what genres I like... mostly fantasy, I suppose. I like humor and some sci-fi stuff, as well, but I've always liked magic. I'm not big on romance, angst, horror, suspense, or mystery.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  7. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

If you like comedy you need to watch The Devil is a Part-Timer. It's a pseudo-fantasy series about an "evil" overlord who escapes his defeat by teleporting to Earth, only to discover that his magic isn't regenerating and he needs to find a way to blend in while he and his lieutenant search for a way home. A few months later, "Maou Sadao" has gone native just in time for his nemesis the Heroine to show up. And that's where the plot picks up.

8. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Oh, I've heard of that one, too. I'll put it on my list. Thanks.

9. steamrick

steamrick Matter: protons, electrons, neutrons and morons

Hmm...

Webcomic suggestions:
    - Drowtales
    - Juathuur and its sequel Juathuur Gatecrash
    - Grrl Power
    - Crimson Dark
    - Errant Story
    - Flipside
    - Misfile
    All of these are long-standing regularly updating or finished webcomics with a good story and decent to outstanding art, so none of that 50 pages and hiatus shit that kills so many webcomics. Trust me, these are truly worth checking out.
    I've plenty more suggestions if you like these one, so feel free to PM me.

Manga suggestions:
    - Arachnid
    - Battle Angel Alita
    - Dance in the Vampire Bund
    - Half-Prince
    - Id
    - Mx0
    - Pretty Face
    - Psyren
    - Sankarea
    - Until Death Do Us Part
    - Veritas
    - W Juliet
    Again, I can give you a lot more suggestions than that, especially if you PM me and tell me what you liked from these. Also again, around half of these are finished and the other half have quite a number of pages to them already.

Book Suggestions:
    - Anne Bishop's Black Jewels universe, starting with "Daughter of the Blood"
    - Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson books
    - Kim Harrison's The Hollows series
    - Mercedes Lackey... I'd start off with "The Outstretched Shadow"
    - Tamora Pierce... maybe start with "Terrier" to get a feel for her writing? Else start at the beginning: "Alanna: The First Adventure"
    - Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series (though that may be too romantic for you... even if there's way more plot involved than in her other series.)
    If you want any additional recommendations in any direction, such as "Urban Fantasy involving supernatural creatures and magical protagonists" I've got plenty more to suggest.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Snake/Eater likes this.
  10. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Hmmmm... some stuff that was good?

Manga: Same as steamrick I recommend Mx0. Whilte it is is a pretty old manga which had some touches of the classical Harem genre, it never really went deep into it as some other series did. Has glorious Xanathos Gambits and fun characters, still sad that it got dropped and the author had to write an ending earlier.

Ai Kora, straight up Harem Comedy at first glance, but a good bit deeper than expected. All the characters have their own past and personality which are touched upon. Painful parts, happy parts and an Ending that you don't expect to see in most of These series.

A Fairy Tale for the Demon Lord.... this one is interesting, if a bit confusing at times. Starts with a Young warrior trying to free a princess if I remember right. It is the Story of how this Knight is betrayed and forced to become the new Demon Lord, his past and future and the Horror of Destiny.

Tower of God is pretty good, though I have not been checking through the latest chapters. Growing up stories of the Boy called 25th Baam (Night if I remember right) and how he climbs the Tower to look for a Girl called Rachel/Rahel. Very interesting worldbuilding and Setting, the author loves marine life, so that has a good bit of influence in the creation.

Mushigbugyou is a good Shounen, nothing world breaking, but solid Story and interesting if somewhat simple at times, characters. Has an Anime which is already further than the Manga is translated, so you could check that out first. I suggest at least looking into the Manga to compare it. There are two Versions of the Manga, one a first Version and a Rewrite of some sorts which continued while the former ended at I think a dozen chapters?

D-Frag, glorious bullshit chaos and randomness. Think Luna Lovegood from HP, but drunk and high. And all the characters except the main character and his sisters are crazy like that and do bullshit at times. Seriously, the series is absolutely hilarious and the characters always give me a laugh... and the puns.... has an Anime which is pretty good and has a gloriously hilarious opening. Kinda nonsensical though.

Noucome is also good, not as hilarious but has some good parts and the Unlimited Blade Works joke will forever be in my Memory. Has an Anime, never really saw an manga, though I think one may be around.

The World God Only Knows for more Xanathos Gambits and deeper characters that you will likely grow quite fond of. Pretty interesting interactions, cool Story and Background even if there is some stuff that never gets explained. Already completed, has good Anime and great character Songs and such.

I also like Sankarea which steamrick suggested, pretty solid Story with fun stuff and the romance well made. Not everyone liked the ending apparently, but it cannot be helped with something that has some serious overtones of Horror and tragedy that not everyone can be happy.

Books? Hmmm.... Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel has awesome Research put into it and great characters with Scathach from that book always being what I think of,.

The "Black Magician Trilogy" and related books are also good with a great writing style and having the ability to let you easily immerse into them. The main character is fun and plot twists aren't obvious at all....

Maybe the "Mara and the Firebringer" series of books? There is a movie to the first book out which is apparently pretty fun, though I am not sure whether it came out in English. The book series is originally german too, so no clue.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  11. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Thanks, you two.

12. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

13. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Another excellent thing to read if you aren't already;

Feng Shen Ji.

Awesome story, gorgeous full color art, and an MC that manages to be the best kind of asshole.

14. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Oh god, the description is killing me. It sounds like Mahou Shoujo Ore on drugs. (Guy becomes MG because his Super-Hero Transformation trinket isn't working right...)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  15. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

It's waaaaaay better than that. Pretty Bell is great. It's even in the description!

(But ya, I haven't had such fun reading something in a loooong time. And there seems to be 10+ volumes...)

16. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

There is a show that i think is ok.

The first one is a show called Defiance,The show takes place in the future on a radically transformed Earth containing new species, some having arrived from space, many others the result of contamination by Alien terraforming technology, which has transformed native flora and fauna in unforeseen ways. As the series opens, The show follows Joshua Nolan, a war veteran and his adopted alien daughter Irisa ,Arrive into the city-state of Defiance Built on the Ruins of St. Louis.that is cohabited by humans and aliens as they struggle to coexist with each other.

17. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Sensei Lock-On- 4-Koma romance comedy about female 33 years old, single grade school teacher that one day get marriage proposal by her former pupil after he turned 20. You better have some insulin prepared, because you'll be running a hight risk of getting diabetes while reading this manga.

Snake/Eater likes this.