1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Behold, the true reason Mr Zoat moved to Questionable Questing: The freedom to add in some potty-humor level memes alongside the much better ones. :p

2. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

So he's just a cunt? And he doesn't have a real goal or care about anything except just being a cunt?

Refreshing, really.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To be fair a lot of comic villains are just in it to be cunts, even when they say otherwise.

Even the Light are in it to be cunts, because no matter what they say virtually all their actions are just pointless, evil, destructive and just plain stupid.

The only positive thing that can be said about Melmoth is that he's honest about it and doesn't even use any justification for why his actions are somehow good or make sense.

I also think that the other large group in this story that were in it to be just evil as they can be were the Citadelians, since they seemed to just be interested in being the best example of why sapient life was a mistake.

The Psions and Apokaliptians can also belong on that list.

4. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Yeah, but being honest about the fact that you're just a huge cunt is so rare though.

5. ⸺⸺⸺

⸺⸺⸺

del

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    l---erddad---l likes this.
  6. l---erddad---l

Oh, this has never been YJ compliant. You've gotta be able to ignore his adding in elements that aren't shown in the source material, and then berating the canon elements for not using the things he has, if you want to enjoy WTR.

BBJimmy, Vaermina and zeebza like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The reason why the Sheeda are the way they are is the focus of the Renegade episode. Sort of.
    Goodness me, I hope not.
    Due to there being a little less time travel in canon, they aren't due to arrive until a few years after season 3.
    I don't know about 'berating canon'. 'Berating characters in canon', perhaps.

8. Achillesaurus

Achillesaurus Making the rounds.

Melmoth reminds me a whole lot of Boss Smiley. One's a businessman, and the other's a sadist, but honestly aside from that they could be brothers.

Darko likes this.
  9. Nugar

Nugar Not too sore, are you?

Jesus christ, that line felt like a physical blow. Nothing says 'evil pervert' quite like the term 'cunny'. Eww.

10. l---erddad---l

I had to look up if there was another term I was missing, because I was not expecting it AT ALL.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  11. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

[​IMG]

12. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

4th May
    20:02 GMT -5

Three worms more coming door-. Door closed worth preserving structure no.

Acid midair construct barrier destroyed physical barrier melts partial neutralisation-.

Mr. Yao sings and the acid loses all momentum and falls back to the ground. The worms aren't bothered by it but the material covering the floor begins bubbling.

"Back, beasts!"

Abednego raises new witch-signs, each the size of kite shields. He gestures at the closest worm, which responds by lunging out of the ground and chomping at him! I yank him back, the sign attached to his left hand passing through the worm's maw with no noticeable effect.

"Ha! What fun."

Melmoth has a cup of tea and is sitting watching us, the-. The console appears to be immune to the acid.

Leonid blasts the door, which distorts slightly but then holds fast. His next shot hits one of the walls to even less effect.

The worm that failed to grapple Abednego burrows back underground as two others-.

The room tilts measurably. We're being undermined.

Strands of orange light connect my right hand to the console, causing it to briefly glow-.

Melmoth looks mildly disappointed as the console decays and his illusion projection fades away.

The new worms spray acid upwards Mr. Yao sings acid keeps coming! He twists aside, acid burning through his robe but missing his body. His song changes and the temperature of the room drops, frost forming on the worms and walls.

The worms appear unaffected. The two new arrivals lunge for Peter, forcing me to pull him towards the top of the room to dodge their mandibles. The two original worms spray acid in a wide arc, splattering Leonid's construct armour-

Hunger.

-which holds, which I'm pleased about. I form a construct railgun with the same rune work, load crumblers, point it at the door and fire. The hit causes a hole about forty centimetres across, which Peter might be able to squeeze through but is far too narrow for the rest of us. I reload and fire again as Leonid literally chances his arm by punching a lunging worm. It gets slammed back into the now-gelatinous floor with a quiet splat, Leonid jerking his fist back as the construct gauntlet gives up the ghost.

Vitriol.

Vitriol containment procedure requires countermagic or feeding it base until it's neutralised. There isn't an easy way to deal with it. With the worms being a constant source that won't work. Killing the worms might, but escaping is a priority. I've got a range advantage while their spit-pressure appears to limit them to shots of about three metres.

Second railgun shot fires, and-. The door is somewhat abraded, but it's still very much whole. Worse, the door appears to be regenerating the damage of the original shot by shifting material from the rest of it.

Alright, be clever, then. I fire strands at it with the aim of assimilating-. They're turned aside by a magic effect. Fine, assimilate-.

Buh-?

Leonid shoves me aside as acid sprays past where I was, droplets splashing on my construct armour anyway. I twist in the air, letting them spray off and shoving an x-ionised sword at the worm's neck as it lunges for me! The blade goes through its grey epidermis, shearing its three-pronged head from its neck, acid dribbling from the wound. The blade's a write-off so I drop it, and-.

The worm-corpse explodes! Fragments of its armour and blobs of highly acidic floor gunge spray outwards in all directions!

I try to interpose barriers and Mr. Yao howls a wave of kinetic energy, but all of us are hit! Anarawd's face is a rictus of pain as his right leg gets coated, the glutinous blob dripping down having eaten down to the charred bone! Peter frantically tries to wipe what he can off with the tattered remains of his travel cape before it can eat through his armour, but I can see the point where it gets through on the left side of his stomach.

"YAAAAAGHHH!"

Leonid copies my action in shaking the stuff off his construct armour and uses precise energy blasts to knock the worms' heads away from us. Mr. Yao shouts the.. same note he used when Klarion mind controlled him, break-breaking the universe around the door and carving a hole out of the surrounding walls. Abednego flies through immediately before turning small witch-signs on himself. His clothing appears to have protective spells bound into it, but the acid has eaten its way through and has badly burned the flesh beneath.

Leonid grabs Peter while I grab Anarawd and we both head for the door while Mr. Yao turns his doom song on the console room. What's left of the console evaporates, along with the floor and the visible parts of the worms. I-.

Mr. Yao doubles over in the air and coughs, small flecks of blood-.

I yank him out and put up a hungry construct wall between us and the console room.

"Physician?"

I don't say anything stupid like 'can you heal yourself?', because he'll tell me if-.

"Purple…"

I draw my purple healing ray and-

On the other side of the barrier I see a new worm breach the surface and launch a spray of acid. The construct is thicker than our armour and can take it for now, but that's a temporary thing and I need to do something nice for Wallace when we get back.

-shoot Mr. Yao in the mouth. Sonic scans…

"More worms coming. We need to go."

"Yes." Mr. Yao straightens with a nod, and I offer Peter the purple ray. He takes it, his breath unsteady from the shock. "Starfire, lead the way. Lantern, rearguard."

I nod as Leonid takes-

The building shudders and the walls tilt.

-off down the corridor towards the stairs.

"The acid's sinking the building."

I float backwards, holding Anarawd in a construct while the worms alternate between spraying acid and ramming my construct barrier. It looks like their innate magic isn't restricted to their acid, because those impacts shouldn't be doing that much damage.

Abednego helps Peter get moving, and a low hum from Mr. Yao tells me that he's listening to the vibrations of our surroundings. Pull back pull back-.

I transition myself and Anarawd back as a worm explodes in from the left wall, squirting acid in all directions! The others take immediate advantage of my barrier vanishing and surge forward, cracking the construct-.

I drop the construct, lash out with x-ionised blades, then create a new-.

The blast hisses through the air! No sludge this time, but super hard fragments wreathed in acid annihilate my barrier construct and eat into my armour construct and-.

Oh. No, that's gone through my regular armour as well.

I take advantage of the momentary respite as more worms pull themselves up to remove melting lumps of my own flesh from inside my armour, disintegrate what the acid hasn't and then heal myself. Then I create a new barrier and continue to pull back.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul getting his ass kicked by worms amuses me greatly.

It's even more amusing because not even Paul has clued into the fact that Melmoth's magitech can apparently see through his tattoo's.

14. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' by '

' kite '

15. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

One of these days, at some point in time... The orange rings ability to consume others for collection will actually God damn work.

I know this is forced weakness, as he would be too powerful otherwise... Much like how the flash could easily stop any and all fights before his opponents could physically consider that he's there.

Still...it is very frustrating that he once again cannot use his orange ring the way it's intended.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'blade's' or 'blade is'

Maybe 'of it hits'

'worm'

Maybe 'pull'

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Unfortunately, the area's a little too populated with friendlies to make nuclear options viable... Tooth and nail time.

Marvellous trick! And of course they're immune to their own weaponry.

And they're immune to Columbian spellcraft too. Or at least ignore the commands implied.

Might make a nice shield if it comes down to it. A bludgeon, at worst.

Fricking burrowing enemies. No way to tell if you've got them all until they stop coming...

Up yours too, yah git. No getting to watch your opposition painfully killed today.

And of course they're immune to cold as well. Sheeda bullshit again. Which makes sense, as they stole or inherited Human bullshit.

Please don't do that again... You might not pull back a hand next time.

Too bad the room isn't more than four metres high... Cramped quarters are never fun to fight in.

This is getting ridiculous. OL really needs to work out arcane options other than mage-slayers.

Well, one down, far too many left...

Sonnuvabitch! That's just getting cheeky now.

:eek: ...Ow. OL's going to have a lot of healing to do when they make it out of this...

Can't break the door apart? Aim for the wall! Clever.

Overstressed his vocal chords, by the look of it. Possible tearing...

If his voice is out of action, shit just got much harder.

Ah, useful, if painful.

Eh? Buttering him up for some manner of counter-agent, perhaps?

The joy of healing in combat timeframes... It's never long enough.

This would be a good time to start transitioning, and damn the consequences...

Talk about bringing the house down! Melmoth is literally flipping the table.

Great, corrosive touches too? Let's hope once they get some distance, they can cut loose.

Dammit, coming through the walls? Cheap add spawns. I hate boss fights like that.

Seriously, it's like a Venom Cannon now. Talk about overdesigned.

Thank you, pain-blocking facilities. Makes it a lot easier to concentrate through injuries.

Seriously, these things are a royal pain. Multiple kinds of ranged attacks, corrosive melee and they explode? I hope Melmoth paid whoever came up with them well, if it wasn't him. Because he's getting his money's worth. Let's just hope they can't go a-roaming towards Columbia. Which they almost certainly will be.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yes we know you're a sadistic bastard that enjoys the pain of others.

You do realize that Melmoth could have made those things using regular science and not magic right?

You also realize that even if he used magic to make those things he could have also given them non magical senses?

Magical beings, like gods, can see OL with their own eyes, they just can't scry for him.

The same is true for any of Melmoth machines, they may very well be fully technological in nature, or even if they have magic in them they may still have technological components that allow them to deal with things that can resist magic.

And what makes you think that Paul hasn't clued in on this supposed theory of yours and just isn't mentioning it in this chapter?

19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

work -> worm

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ah, Paul has already used his ring for assimilation of other beings.

He used it on some demons.

Paul can use that particular function of the ring, but it can be resisted, either through willpower or magic.

It also isn't an instant thing that happens in seconds after it's started.

Paul and company were in a life or death fight right here and he may not have had the time to assimilate anything.

21. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Actually we just heavily suspect. I directly asked him and he never confirmed one way or the other.

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that he is.

Sometimes when you're being silent after being asked a question it can mean that it's a confirmation.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Oh I'm certain that he paid him in the most generous manner a person like Melmoth could.

That being letting him have one hour of rest before the next torture session.

Give this man a blue ring!

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  24. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

i really hope he genocides the race like he did the citadelians.

ChestBurster, PDV, Xelloss and 3 others like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I mean... Technically speaking he probably shouldn't be able to assimilate at all unless he was as far gone as Larfleeze...

ChestBurster and transhumansage like this.
  26. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

"Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some Holy Hand Grenades, don't you think?" - OL, probably

Couldn't OL just transition them through a hole? If a small person (who is this Peter anyway?) can move through it a beam of orange light should have no problem?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Prince Charon, Austin Pharos and Ardy like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Why would he need to be as insane as Larfleeze to assimilate things, that makes no sense?

Provide evidence/citation/link that an orange ring user needs to be as insane as Larfleeze to assimilate people.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    An interesting distinction between the American and British legal systems.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nope, just the pain of boring invincible hero's.

See, that's the thing about having your character win all the time, people get bored and start actively wanting them to lose.

Austin Pharos likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We all know you enjoy the pain of everyone around you, not just "boring invincible heroes".

It's also difficult to have a character lose most fights when they have the most powerful tool of the universe and the author doesn't want to give the bad guys the chance to win against them like they may have done in the comics when their victory makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The bad guys in the comics don't tend to win because they're somehow stronger than the good guys, but because the author for some reason decided to make them win even if it doesn't make much sense.

Zoat simply removed that part and made sure that if the bad guys do win in a straight up fight it's because they are simply stronger than the good guy.

That is difficult because Paul has one of the most powerful tools in the universe on his hand and has no hesitation in using it and thinking more tactically than other heroes when it comes to fights.

When Paul does lose something it's because he was outsmarted, like when Truggs was able to steal one of those dials and Paul had no idea that he was even in town.