1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

He technically could eradicate all worms in sight within seconds simply by going loose with a singularity gun, but that would end up killing all the friendlies as well.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The place may be warded to prevent teleportation and the Honden may be unsafe for anyone but Paul.

Peter is a member of one of the villages the Sheeda attacked.

He went as their guide to the leftovers of Melmoths presence.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  3. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

I wonder if Canis actually has a point in thinking of Paul as a New God, considering the how he uses the orange light the way New Gods would use their godspeech.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  4. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I said 'transition' not 'teleportation'. He already used transition to move people around countless times with no harm to them. He even had Hinon double check it. Trip through the Honden is only necessary if he wants to do that 'Instant Transmission' thing.

Also, how is it that every location they fight in these days has Dimension Lock on it? I know tactical teleportation made things too easy but there's such thing as going too much in the other direction. OL's struggles are starting to get more than a bit contrieved. It's like watching your ultra badass PC reduced to lvl 1 in cutscenes.

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think Mr Zoat has confirmed that he basically is. It's just that he is becoming one in a different way, so he is not fully aware of what he can do. I think he is at least aware of Godspeech now, even if he can't consciously use it.

6. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

no its just you. please dont lump us in with your cynical self. i thoroughly enjoy this story.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Teleportation or transition, it doesn't matter, the place may just be warded to prevent anyone from leaving it in a manner that isn't walking out of it.

I don't think he used transitioning when they went inside this place, and even if he did that was before Melmoth showed up, and he may have activated the defences on the place when he did.

Yes Paul can move people safely using transition, but if there are wards around that may be a different matter.

In order to travel through the Honden they have to be either very powerful, like a Maltusian, or have magical experience in traveling through arcane elemental realms, like those Venturian sorcerers.

If they aren't powerful or experienced sorcerers then they could either die or go insane.

The only people who may be able to travel through there aside from OL are Diana, Dr Mist, Canis and possibly Abednego, due to their power or experience with magic and magic transportation.

And not everyplace they fight in has a dimensional lock in it these days. but if the place is magical then chances are high that it will have some protections against teleportation.

Paul does use tactical teleportation, like when he fought the Justice Underground.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well Paul is a metaphysically powerful being, like a New God, so it isn't that far off.

He may actually use it in a way.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I forgot he can use it too. I wish Paul would do so more, or get some training from Mister Miracle and Canis. I'm sure either would be happy to give out pointers.

Ardy and Darko like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah they may be able to help.

Though his unusual nature may make it difficult.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually I would suspect that Paul's transformation is more along the lines of what happened to Alan, the Maltusians, and Larfleeze, becoming a hybrid of flesh and blood and elemental.

Which is not the same thing, since Gravy was unable to turn Alan into a New God.

Or at least, to me, it makes no sense to say that being in the process of turning into a New God means you can't be turned into a New God.

While becoming a human guardian and becoming a New God can have similarities (New God Justice Lord Stewart says hi), similar and the same are two different things. Neither bats nor bees are birds, after all.

Like how Zoat compared X'Hal's tranformation to New God apotheosis. New god apotheosis involves the spiritual process of absorbing magic, X'Hal's transformation was a bio-physical absorption of light until she became an energy being. Similar, yes, the same, far far far away from being the same.

12. Agent Orange

Speaking of, why did Gravy have trouble turning Alan into a New God? As you said he could and did turn Justice Lord Stewart into one and he had pretty similar er 'spiritual issue' to Alan's (they were both so marinated in Green their metaphysique started mutating into something Guardian-like). So why did one work but not the other?

13. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Also, his whole step out/step in ability to transport.

Although I assume that particular ability is being sealed so that he doesn't risk mutating the other travelers by exposing them to pure avarice.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe because Alan was exposed to green light for decades, and John just had it in his system for a few years at most, but I'm just guessing.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Stewart's new god power was the Glow because he had channeled all the energy of the Central Power Battery that one time while fighting the Manhunters.

Essentially while Alan's soul was marinated over decades, Stewart's soul had trace elements.

Normal green lantern usage does not affect the soul, Alan's ring is defective, it leaks.

I assume that Zoat is going with the idea that all the energy of the Central Power Battery exceeds intended usage, so Stewart got a charge that was then assimilated into his soul.

16. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

No accelerated perception? I could understand him being unable to do certain things or not thinking of them at the time, but speeding his brain up has been a basic opening move for him during serious throwdowns for a while now.

Austin Pharos and Ardy like this.
  17. Agent Orange

Mr Smiley thought it was making OL's fights boring and asked him nicely not to use it.

Ardy likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes, that's why the words in the first few lines are grammatically odd.

19. Agent Orange

Wouldn't accelerated perception look the exact opposite (bullet time, having more time to think the situation through, analysis, etc.)?
    We're seeing things from his point of view not from an outside perspective.

Bramble Thorn and Ardy like this.
  20. HereforZooat

HereforZooat Getting out there.

He uses transition later in the scene
    Eh, this makes for somewhat more interesting prose. And he could be rushed even with his perception sped up.

ChestBurster and Austin Pharos like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You seem to be wrong about things a statistically significant portion of the time.

Um no, in this case it's because the author Dues Ex Machina's it, inventing new abilities without long term consideration that turn out to be so utterly broken they make balancing things impossible.

Also Power Rings aren't the most powerful tool in the universe, that award goes to the Mobius Chair. And before you try to start, they also aren't the second or third most powerful.

Austin Pharos and transhumansage like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, but it was after they left that room, so they may have been out of the reach of the wards.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

• Rule 1 - Play Nice
    Is this the your inner voice of reason, reaching out to you from whatever inner pit of stupidity you've buried it into, trying to tell you to actually grow as a person, but you're trying to use its advice to insult me?

My jumped up elemental I think you have some serious issues.

This might actually be in your favor, since if you really have some kind of disorder people might actually pity you.

On the other hand you might not have a disorder and are just an asshole, in which case, Fuck You, you little pathetic piece of shit.

You do realize power rings have been shown as being able to perform some seriously impressive feats in the comics?

And aside from power rings comic characters have also been shown as having some impressive powers.

The problem with this is that comic writers have often times chosen to forget these abilities that the characters have and have had them lose in some fairly stupid ways, like having Hal lose to Crazy Steve and poor abused victim Dick by having them paint themselves in yellow paint, or that time a bunch of fairly pathetic metahuman rejects managed to beat up Kyle Rayner.

Zoat simply decided to not do this and have his character actually use his abilities to their fullest extent and not suddenly forget about them just to have some ordinary guy beat his character up to prove some bullshit about how human spirit is stronger than even a device forged by godlike beings.

I mean seriously, do you even comprehend how stupid it would be for Zoat to make it so that a low level metahuman like the Hitman can beat his character, who is wielding a power ring, a device that has been shown in the comics as being able to defeat planet ending threats?

That was perhaps the stupidest thing that Garth Ennis has ever written, and that's an accomplishment given his utterly shitty work that relies more on things like sheer disgust to keep readers invested, rather than actual interesting characters or storylines.

Some of his stories in Hellblazer were enjoyable, but after that it was just a bunch of disgusting crap.

While I'll admit the Mobius Chair is impressive, the power rings are pretty much in the top five category of most powerful tools in the comics, definitely in the second or third place.

They are capable of allowing someone to go toe to toe with gods and actually win, they are capable of allowing travel through space and grant protections from its dangers, they allow communication between different races, they allow for things like stellar engineering, they can survive an event that rewrites reality, they allow someone to fix entire cities in a short time, they are connected to godlike beings, etc.

Truly power rings are one of the most powerful and versatile tools in the universe.

If you have a problem with my statement then provide a list of every single tool in the DC comic universe that has all these characteristics and why you think they are better than a power ring.

If you don't want to provide a list then just fuck off and don't try to say anything, since you have about as much chance of convincing me you are right as you have of convincing me that Donald Trumps hair is natural and not the skinned hide of a diseased gerbil.

Just to clarify I don't think it's natural and believe it is a skinned gerbils hide.

I wanted to to be sure to say this since I have a feeling you're the type of person that tries to model themselves after that idiotic lunatic and may think his hair is made by the gods themselves.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I get that you're kind of new to the site, but there's a thread for that sort of thing, and this isn't it.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I get that you find interacting with other people to be difficult, likely because most probably can't stand you, but just to be clear I was trying to insult you in a place where you can see my insult.

And why don't you use that thread for all your half baked ideas and posts, they'll certainly fit right in.

26. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

could you not do that. its jarring to read. also why did you shift your writing to be so brief. there used to be more exposition in earlier arcs. not all of us have an encyclopedic knowledge of dc.

EDIT: although i suppose getting out 1k words a day doesnt leave a lot of time for exposition and explanation.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

While I will admit that it's a bit jarring to read I can understand that he felt it necessary to show how his character thinks during such situations.

28. Moderation: Rule 1 Reminder
    TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

This is well beyond the bounds of the kind of conduct we allow here on QQ. If you can't talk to other people in a thread nicely then I will very nicely make you leave.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

My apologies.

moralrelativity likes this.
  30. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

4th May
    20:03 GMT -5

"The doorway is blocked."

I grimace faintly as I use very strong railgun shots to knock the worms back, keeping them off my barrier as we near the exit. When we headed down I could scan reasonably freely, but now it looks like Melmoth's flipped all of the switches. I can't even scan the next room with a default scan, and alternate sensors aren't returning completely reliable results.

"By a door or by the earth?"

"Neither? It looks like… Lichen? Dark grey?"

I feel through the construct holding him as Anarawd twitches in shock.

"If you know something-?"

"I have underestimated the Dark King."

"Not a capital offence. Care to narrow it down?"

"Orange Lantern!" I switch my attention from our Sheeda prisoner to Mr. Yao. "I should be able to sing open a hole, but for us to clear the distance-."

"I'll shield us and move us."

I move closer to the exit, the six of us clustering together. Something else for the slate: an alchemically-enhanced base to go with the alchemically-enhanced acid. Sure, in a situation like this it would cause a colossal explosion, but it would probably be a mostly-conventional explosion and I'm good at surviving those.

There's no countdown. Mr. Yao opens his mouth and I've already wrapped everyone in a rune-inlayed construct barrier, dropping the barrier to our rear. The worms have lost a degree of their focus and aren't quite as quick to go after us as they were when they first emerged, but-.

Mr. Yao pronounces the-. Yeah, great, now my ears are bleeding. The grey organic stuff covering the entrance is torn apart, the soil behind it blasted aside… For a moment.

I seal the construct and then shoot us forward, spinning construct drill pushing the subsiding soil aside and pulling us through for a few seconds until we're back out over the desolate plain.

I stop, turn, and turn the construct drill into a construct platform.

What little is still visible of the tower is rapidly sinking into a highly acidic bog, though that might be due to the empty chambers below the tower falling in on themselves. The worms are… Breaching the surface in a dozen or so places, though they aren't trying to attack us. I don't see any eyes, so perhaps they can't see us?

The grey lichen-like material is visible in patches all across the wasteland, and… I can see it slowly growing. It doesn't appear to be affected by the worms' acid. Our mounts are gone. The worms might have taken them, or they might have fled. There aren't any flying Sheeda creatures that I can see-.

I add a dome shield around the platform we're standing on.

"Anarawd, I would appreciate it if you would expand upon your answer."

"It-."

"Orange Lantern." Mr. Yao fixes me with a steady glare. "His leg."

"Right." I move Anarawd into a standing position and attach filaments to the acid-burned parts. "You might experience a few moments of discomfort."

Unlike with the creatures below, when he's not wearing armour Anarawd is perfectly simple to scan. Reconstituting his leg using my own revulsion at physical imperfection and desire to hear what he has to say is a simple matter.

When I'm done he stares at his new lower leg in nearly as much discomfort as he showed when he lost it.

"How long does it last?"

"I don’t know. How long do Low Born Sheeda usually last?"

"The discomfort. It feels physically normal, but it does not share my soul."

"I'm afraid that I can't really help you there. If you come back with us to Earth, I can ask a biomancy specialist to take a look. Now about that lichen-stuff."

"The Earth of the Land of Summer's End is not like your Earth. The light of the vampire sun weakens and kills; it does not nurture and strengthen as your sun does, nor the suns of this world."

"Yes?"

"But the rest of the world is altered as well. Our creatures may borrow some parts of their form from the creatures of your era, but they are altered; larger, fiercer, enhanced by magic and possessing something of Sheeda biology."

"So.. I've already noted."

"Our buildings are the same. Our great vessels as well. Each is in part alive; a creature as those Core Worms are or as the Spider Mounts are. Our buildings are the same, and the Earth itself, that is enveloped by it the… Lichen? That is what you call it?"

"Until I can analyse it properly, yes."

"Our entire world is alive in some form or another. But our world is sustained by the Harrowing."

While… Melmoth's… "You think he's transforming this world?"

"I am not High Born. I do not understand the magics which allow us to raid the past. But if Melmoth feared that no more Harrowings were possible, or if he intended to cause this one to fail to spite the Queen-."

"We'd remember you, and never let ourselves become you. You'd need somewhere to come from, like a planet full of people with Sheeda DNA who used Sheeda-style magic."

"The pathways to future and past bring us from our world to yours. I always assumed that they were the same world; that we were your future. But if Dark Melmoth sought to secure us a new past… This…"

I take another look at the grey-coated worm-ridden landscape.

"This is how it would start."

"You do not understand. Everything we know about ourselves-."

"No, I just don't care. Will the people who live here be able to survive if the world is Sheeda-formed?"

"I-. Yes, certainly. Not so easily as we, but the beasts are controllable and for the most part work at their intended function without distraction."

Abednego nods. "'T'would mean the end of Columbia."

Peter hands me the purple ray back. "We must warn the town. Mayhap we can stay ahead of the beasts."

"How does that lichen interact with other plants?"

"It grows best on rock, but it will throttle any living thing not born of the Sheeda, given time."

"Does it have weaknesses? Some way to stop it? To kill it?"

"There are creatures which feed upon it, but never to the point of eradicating it."

"Orange Lantern." I look at Mr. Yao. "Get in contact with Lantern Stewart. I need to consult with Wonder Woman."

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020