1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah yes, invoking the power of The Narrative to bend causality into a pentagonal-dodecahedron, a classic!

Best part is that DC's metaphysics mean that could even be true!

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ohhhoh, but he will soon.

Assuning there isn't some Eldar fuckery, which there will most likely be.

And Dino Boy even asked if the Emperor was an asshole, while Magnus already knew that he was.

So much for Dino Boys endless knowledge.

Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So vampire sun: probaly a spell to maintain the sun/the universe and to do that it needs fuel, taking it from everything.

It's like trying to keep a mechanical clock wound up by burning it's gears.

But the casters were smart enough to make living material immune to the effect.

Honestly, at this point? Letting the rest universe collapse and evacuate the Sheeda to another, younger one seems the only option.

If only there was someone who cared about Grayven and had experience with magical dimension crossing mirrors...

4. Assblaster5000

Dino Boi's endless knowledge makes him play a Great Game that would leave even that hack Tzeentch feeling impotent.

Dino Boi knows all, he sees all, and he shall never be beat by the befuddling mind games mere mortals attempt to craft.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and Darko like this.
  5. Assblaster5000

This episode really came out in a TTS heavy week huh? We get a new episode of the main show and WarHams episode 8 came out just a few minutes ago.

Fitting considering everything the Renegade is going through right now.

6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Grayven, with god-senses, picked up on that.

The Sheeda may have been (and still are, until Gravy starts yelling into some pointed ears) utterly clueless about that little fact.

...well, Melmoth probably knew. And likely considered it a feature and not a bug.

...this whole thing is Ambush Bug trying to off Grayven?

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he was aware of renegade existing when he talked to Paul and he hates Si's.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Assblaster5000

I doubt it, Ambush Bug said he wanted to keep Grayven around for future stories and crossovers.

IsActuallyBatman and Cuchulin like this.
  9. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Because he thought Grayven was actually Grayven, if he learned he was just another version of Paragon he might change his tune.

IsActuallyBatman, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  10. Assblaster5000

It's been awhile, but unless Zoat said something to the contrary he seemed to know that the Renegade was still an SI and just liked him anyways.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

People can dislike a character after a while.

He may dislike the whole pony thing since renegade may try to be less of an asshole, and there are some comic fans who greatly dislike when the asshole character starts acting less like an asshole.

Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  12. Assblaster5000

True enough I suppose, not really sure why he's go about it like this though.

But that comment about the people who get angry over assholes changing reminds me of a video a saw once about someone being angry over the way modern Batman comics are going, with Gotham steadily improving and the Bat Family growing.

I sort of joked about it with a friend, but the person made a 40(?) minute video about why Batman achieving his life's goal was a bad thing, repeating the same 3 or 4 points for almost an hour because they thought Gotham shouldn't be allowed to have any redeeming qualities. One of the only things from that video I agreed with to any extent was that the classic rouges gallery were taking a bit too much of a backseat these days.

It was a bit more in-depth than that, but that was the message I came out of it with.

Sorry about the tangent though, just felt the need to inform people about that video.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

People do tend to think of Batman as just being this gruff, no nonsense asshole, who isn't capable of connecting with people on any significant level, and is mostly at his best when punching people.

Sadly a lot of comic writers also feel this way about him.

However there are scenes in the comics and animated series showing that Bats can actually be a pretty great guy.

One of my favorites is when he comforts a young girl who witnessed a crime and when she doesn't want to talk he proceeds to ask her stuffed toy about it because he wants her to feel safe, and even says that the name she chose for it was a nice name.

In the shows from the 90s he's given several scenes that present him as a nice and good guy.

The 2004 series, The Batman, also did this side of him right, both as Bruce Wayne and as Batman.

It also gave us more snarky Alfred, much more than the previous shows, and that is always a welcomed thing.

14. Assblaster5000

Yeah, it's always a shame when people can't see the person behind the shroud of The Bat-God, because at his core Batman is a traumatized child that wants to make the world a better place, that way no one will ever have to go through what he did again.

I'm hardly original in saying that one scene from Justice League Animated nails what Batman is, but it really does.

15. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

That was sad. I am sad now. At least she's alive and well with Grayven in this fic.

16. Assblaster5000

I'm not a very emotional person, but even I tired up watching it.

17. ArKFallen

ArKFallen _____

Perpetua(?) escaped and went Dark Monitor on the universe. To the point that the Bleed can't output into Bleed Tech anymore. She is now trying to finish that section of the multiverse so she can escape back through the Wall into other areas to feed some more. ( Pretty sure the Source Wall is a prison as well as the edge of reality, so if even a piece of her can get through a crack, gather power, and then break the Wall inside and Outside of reality she will then have free reign over more than the DC universe.)

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Doubtfull, since she's from the n52, so Zoat may not add her.

Alexandercctv and ArKFallen like this.
  19. ArKFallen

ArKFallen _____

Are all the Monitors part of n52? Darko

I actually dont know the specifics of the reboots

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't know myself, sorry.

However Perpetua first showed up in the post flashpoint comics, so the chances of Zoat adding her are fairly low.

Mr Zoat and ArKFallen like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If it's Perpetua this might all be Paul's fault for creating another Crisis and messing with the laws of the Multiverse.

22. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"How prepared is Batman exactly? I mean I know it's a meme that--"
    "There was a little girl he got to know once and who he empathized with. When he was called in by surprise to be sent on a mission to kill her using a tool he had never seen and was given on the spot, he had a pouch exactly the right size and shape on his utility belt for it. It was the first pouch on his belt."
    "Well shit."

23. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

"On the other hand, he did have years to actually prevent her death and didn't, so maybe you shouldn't just assume he's got it covered."

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  24. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I really doubt this is the case, but it occurs to me that a powerful enough sorcerer migh consider making an imitation that magically invokes the nature of the original.

On the other hand, much more useful is the chance to talk with the various titans glued to the wall and get what they know about what happened

NightmareWarden, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  25. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

Didn't he also do nothing to prevent Ace from being retrieved by Cadmus? When I watched the episode my thinking was that Batman could have very easily prevented her death by actually trying to take care of her personally instead of simply letting the system handle her.

Katillno and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Monitors are dead, Nix Uotan the last survivor. The Superjudge, the Wonder Boy, the Super-God. Sadly he was last seen as a prisoner of that convergence of Joker wank and Batgod the Batman Who Laughs.

The Monitor and the Anti-Monitor were retconned to be Perpetua's kids, along with the World Forger, and would therefore seem to have no connection to the Monitor race built in their image.

Cuchulin and ArKFallen like this.
  27. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

There was a bit in this superman/batman comic, could have been the "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow" one, where Batman changes the original pointy ears to the shorter cartoony ones,, because his outfit scares a child.

Darko, Assblaster5000 and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I think you mean New Frontier because that's what happens after he and "John Jones" save a child from a cult in a building that catches fire, it ends up being much harder than it should because the kid is utterly terrified of Batman.

29. Threadmarks: Summer's End (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Bull's
    Start

"…and they're actually following through on their obligations?"

Heledd, the highest ranking of the surviving Highborn of the city of Caeremyr, nods politely.

"Yes, my lord. It seems that even slow learners understood your intent after you fed seventeen slower learners to zombies in front of them."

We're somewhere near where the Earth's south pole used to be. No idea whether or not the pole is still here or if the Earth's rotational axis has shifted. Though even if it hasn't, the fact that magnetic poles shift every so often means this could be the north pole now.

Since my brief chat with actual Grayven, I've been covertly reading up on him. His equipment, his techniques and ways of thinking, his allies… Everything I could get. And I find his decisions so completely natural that I can generally work out what he'll do, because… It's what I'd do. He conquered a down on its luck gordanian clan and built them up as the foundation of his empire, and I've conquered a Sheeda city that was mostly trying to sit this… Thousandth World War out, and built them up.

"Good. And no more arguments about incorporating New God designs into our armour?"

Heledd glances down at his own symbiotic insect armour with New God detailing.

"Not since the last skirmish. The superiority in the quality of protection it provides is inarguable."

Sheeda warfare is very economical. Very… Real Time Strategy. Everything is biological. Biomatter and time are the only resources and flesh vats the only construction centre. Powerful beasts cost relatively small amounts of time but large amounts of biomatter, once you have the genetic design for them. Highborn cost little more biomatter than regular Sheeda but require far longer to sculpt and train. And so cities focus around their core competencies, eking out percentage decimal points in efficiency while they try to be the ones dragging their enemies' corpses into their digesters. Or hunker down and focus on using Deep Crawlers to slowly harvest the residual bounty beneath the Earth.

"Good."

I stride towards the doors which lead to the inner keep's boardroom. Deputations of Highborn from allied, 'allied' and potential ally cities are on the other side. Not a huge gathering, but better unified and better at sharing ideas than most of this war's… I can barely dignify them with the word 'alliance'.

The Sheeda on either side of the doors pull them open and I stride inside, the Highborn within already lined up at each side of the table. Most Sheeda don’t give me backchat when we're having face to face meetings, and I get the impression that's due to me fitting into a Queen-shaped hole in their psyches. They're certainly not this agreeable when I can't see them.

I take my place at the head of the table and sit, Heledd taking position behind me. And I wait exactly two seconds before gesturing with my right hand.

"Please, be seated."

And they sit, a simple courtesy permitted by me. Most of them haven't been in a room with this many Highborn from other cities since the Queen's muster prior to the Harrowing.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this war is the height of stupidity, a pointless waste of biomass we can't spare from the task of ensuring Sheedakind's long term survival. You are here-" Because you know that I'd kill you otherwise. "-because you share my belief, and you know that unlike any other would-be king or queen I'll vanish the moment it becomes possible for me to return to my own era. I'm a compromise candidate, but while I'm here I expect obedience."

"Now…" Heledd reaches past me and plugs a small chitin disk in a slot in the desk. "If you would..?"

With brief glances at each other which I commit to memory, other representatives mirror my action with their own disks, which are absorbed by the table. What happens next is a fast digestion-read, funnelling our intelligence reports through the table's brain, filtering the more egregious claims and displaying the most reliable data. The output is… Tiny. With no surface water on the planet the Earth's habitable surface area has increased massively.

With no reliable intercity communication in war time we have little to no idea what the other cities are doing. I'm on the wrong side of the gosh darn planet to help Artemis. I doubt that the other Sheeda would have flat-out destroyed Caernouid. Too much biological matter would be lost, and inefficiency is the Sheeda's one taboo. But with that many Highborn in one place, a lot of things could have happened, and me dashing across the planet at full speed isn't going to help. No one can spend time or biomatter on solving the core problem of our tiny universe, which means that I've got to beat them into order.

What a waste.

The table makes its decision, and an illusion of the Earth appears. Cities are marked by size, alliances in areas of colour whose intensity is determined by the reliability of the information and strength of the bond. Approximate numbers and dispositions of their forces.

Several things become clear at once.

We don't know much about the groups not immediately abutting us.

Anyone who has the resources to fight, is.

Alliances are primarily defensive and made by groups who've taken significant losses.

No one is in charge of anything and that offends me.

I don't have a rival. No one has control of a significant area, and the largest alliances are the most uncertain. There's no one I can crush and then expect everyone else to fall in line.

These people can't overcome their instincts enough to fight effectively. They need me.

"This…" I look around the room as they try to commit every inch of the illusion to memory in case I decide to give them an erroneous copy to take away. "Is how civilisation ends. How a people dies. I will not allow that."

I point, and an alliance cluster near to us expands to fill the illusion area.

"This will be our next target. The leading city of this group. I will lead the vanguard myself. There will be no quarter given. Every living creature will be slain and portioned out, the city stripped of all of value. Then the other members of the group will be offered the opportunity to join us."

I'm painfully aware that I'm channelling Caesar here. And not Julius Caesar. I'm channelling Edward Sallow. But… What else can I do? I need these people to build a solution, and no one has what I need. I can't just bunker up.

"Participation is mandatory. Rewards will be apportioned according to the degree of involvement each city has. Severe punishments will be meted out to any who try sitting a fight out, or not providing resources they have promised. I will notice."

Because I'm becoming dominant. Giving full rein to my conquer-and-rule instincts. I'm not working off half of my nature any more. The New God insignias on the equipment of those directly sworn to me help me buff them, but all here are connected to me sufficiently that I can feel it when they resist.

I don't think they all know that yet.

I wonder who will be the first example? I'm looking forward to it.

"But now: old news. I was in space when this whole mess started. Why are the Sheeda city-states fighting each other?"

No one speaks. I pick one at random and point.

"You. Why are you fighting?"

She looks very briefly around to see if anyone else wants to jump in. No one does.

"There are many reasons. Fighting in the Queen's absence is unwise, for she is harsh in her vengeance upon the profligate and disobedient. But we had all heard your claims of her death and the Harrowing fleet's defeat. If there was no new food to come… The gift of survival would go to the strongest. But it was not until you revealed what lay beyond the clouds that the boldest cities were shocked into action. To think that the universe is so small."

"It wasn't always like that. Once this war is over I will be finding out 'why' and either fixing it or evacuating you all via the Bleed to a new universe. Resisting this sort of fait accompli is fundamental to my nature." I look around. "Were they the reason for the rest of you?"

Some nervous looking around, then a brave soul speaks up.

"For my city it was… Defensive. We were struck at first, and needed to retaliate lest we fall behind. We would… Prefer, a return to order."

I nod. "Sensible. But as I see it, this mess will last until I'm in control of it."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

remove 'are'

'and inefficiency'

'in one'

maybe 'is how' not 'Is how' since he started the sentence but then trailed off.

remove one 'of'