1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep.

Eld_Tiger, Razorfloss, CTrees and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Or rather, nope.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I wrote yep because he asked if it was not written by you, and it wasn't.

Fellow and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

25th June 2012
    09:17 GMT -5

People… In Gotham have adapted to me living here. Even criminals who were prepared to operate in a city with an honest police force and a Batman had the sense not to make noise around a man who could spin the moon around. But just regular social contacts? People stopped having the 'rabbit in headlights' response after a few encounters.

Now, things have changed. I can see the fear as I walk towards Jade's apartment, the miasma of socially transmitted unease all too apparent. People look out of a window and see me and it crystallises. I don't make them braver or make them feel safer. I just make them think that I'm the only thing protecting them.

That's the last thing I want.

I push open the door and the phone's already ringing. There are… A few messages on the answering machine, and a thin film of dust on the surfaces. The air smells fine, because the filtration system I set up in case of gas attacks maintains the air content, but…

I miss Jade.

I stride in, orange strobes cleaning everything that went uncleaned in my absence, and pick up the phone just before it rings off.

"Hello?"

"…keep try-. Paul!"

"Good morning, Holly."

"See, I told you it was him."

"What was me?"

"The fight with the Sheeda in England."

"I was one of the people there, yes. Just got back from one mission and suddenly there're a few hundred invisible Sheeda in front of us."

"But you handled it?"

"Ah… Sorry, but since the fighting's ongoing, I can't discuss specifics."

"Uh? Oh. Oh! Right, yeah. But… You handled it, right?"

"If that particular confrontation was still ongoing, I wouldn't be here." I pull Beulah's modified rune stone out of my armour's pouch and wave it around the living area. No reaction, and my scans aren't finding anything out of place either. Give Sephtian's a wave just in case the Sheeda are using local magic rather than their own… "But if you're looking for general reassurance, the Sheeda left it too long. They could kill a lot of people, but as a species we've passed the point where they can carry out their usual invasion. This ends when most of them are dead and the last few surrender."

"You sure?"

"Yes. Completely."

"Okay." I hear her exhale. "It's.. just… I get that superheroes, and… The government and whatever were doing a bunch of stuff to.. stop them, but it's… It's a relief to hear you say it, you know?"

Kitchen's clear. Bedroom, then armoury.

"Glad I could help. Have they tried attacking Gotham?"

The fact that I shoved Batman's case summary form into my brain under an hour ago means that I know they haven't, but I imagine that letting Holly talk about her fears will be helpful.

"I dunno. I mean, it's… Gotham. People disappear sometimes, y'know? People are.. jumpy. Some kid I know kicked a can against a wall in the wrong street and the next thing he knows he's got fifteen different guns pointed at his face."

"Did any of them shoot?"

"No..?"

"Sounds like Gotham's come a long way. It wasn't too long ago a gang wouldn't have needed the Sheeda around to shoot someone."

"Hah! Whaw, that's… Ah. Well, yeah, some guys were like that."

Bedroom's clear.

"A unified, organised, technologically sophisticated people are the Sheeda's worst enemy. Unified. The Sheeda can't win, but if we lose our heads they can make us suffer more. Do you understand?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I got it."

Armoury clear. Almost disappointing. I'd love a lead right now. Not like the fact that I live here is a secret.

"Okay, I've got to get back to work now. But I'm back in Gotham, and I can probably pop around this evening if you want more reassurance."

"Y-yeah, if you're not busy, y'know, killing Sheeda or anything?"

"I'll see you this evening, then."

I turn off the phone and send out filaments, shifting stored ammunition into subspace. Fully armed once more. Hope I won't need it, fully expect that I will. Armour… Yes, leave it in anti-Sheeda mode.

I put it on, then

step out

and reappear in a carefully painted circle in one of the workshops controlled by the Sivanas.

25th June 2012
    14:17 GMT

"Doctor."

An alarm sounds, gun turrets deploy and I add glowing orange panels to my body armour.

"Put those back."

A patch of air to my right shimmers, and Doctor Thaddeus Bodog Sivana appears, control box in one hand, and… Sheeda-style armour covering his body under his lab coat.

"Mm, the target identification systems aren't completely reliable yet. A sufficiently capable Sheeda doppelgänger could make it this far."

"Yes, about the Sheeda. I-."

"Everything's going splendidly. Though the Queen's being a lot more creative than she was when I was in her era." He frowns. "Do you think she was palming me off on a subordinate? That would be insulting."

"Splendidly? Doctor, the Sheeda-"

I raise my right arm, point it at the closest turret, cause the palm to glow and then step out of the circle.

"-are in the process of Harrowing the Earth. They're not doing all that well so far, but my understanding was that you were planning on slaughtering them. Not to put too fine a point on it, that was why I've been cooperating with you."

"That sounds like something you should have gotten in writing, young man. I only said that I wanted someone new and challenging to fight."

"And… Why are you not doing that?"

"Oh, I am. Would you like a list of Mind Destroyers intercepted? Well-placed spine riders eliminated? Arcane lifeforms captured for analysis? But as for actually eliminating the Sheeda, that's simply not in my interests. Not until I've seen every trick they can pull off, and countered them."

Irritating as that is, I doubt that he's lying. And he certainly didn't directly promise me anything.

"Alright, but is there anything I could do that might convince you to take a more active role? I'm sure that you could produce designs for an army of automatons which could fight Sheeda infantry relatively easily without taking your attention away from more interesting subjects."

"That-." He frowns, looking away from me. "I'm-. Hm. This is interesting. I'm actually of two minds about it." He returns his full attention to me. "There is… One thing."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Help him get back together with his wife? I thought he understood that sometimes relationships don't work out and accepted that fact?

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'them shoot'

'a long way'

'were planning'

This is why you alter the desires of mad scientists and other lunatics.

Ahh, romantic advice from an empath.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey, sometimes people will try to do something even if they know they may not succeed.

8. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

It might be one of his kids that he wants to set up with someone or do something nice for. Remember, it can be familial love just as well as romantic.

9. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Should be 'them'

10. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

That's a bit disappointing. Here I thought this whole thing would've been a chance for him to redeem himself in the eyes of the public. I guess I was a bit naive.

Gilhelmi, erebus1994, Relyt33 and 6 others like this.
  11. Fellow

Add a 'were' after 'you'

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sivana kinda stopped caring what the public thought of him a long time ago.

The only people he may care about and what they think about him are his wife and children, and even then he has limits.

Still maybe she can convince him to do more, but even that's unlikely.

13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Orange Corps incoming when?

Actually, is Mother of Mercy still in system?

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good question.

No, she left after finishing with Mars.

OL talked to her during that Devlos Ungol episode, Ways and Means I think it was called.

15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

a -> the (?)

Gilhelmi and Assblaster5000 like this.
  16. Fellow

Where is the rest!? I must read it! I must!!!

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, that's it.

Sorry.

moralrelativity and Fellow like this.
  18. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

Should be role.

19. Fellow

D: my sorrow knows no bounds.

moralrelativity likes this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, once they see you aren't the usual Gotham Freak type. they're a little more accepting. Having the League's back helps with that reputation. Almost reassuring to know Gotham hasn't been raided. Presumably the Sheeda took one look, went 'Too crazy even for us." and turned elsewhere.

Indeed. But until your projects get into general circulation, that's how people are going to think of you. Honestly, you've been spending a lot of time (onscreen, at least) doing Super-hero stuff, not enough doing uplift things. It doesn't help that most of those projects are probably seen as Ted Kord's corporation's work, or Atlantean, or so forth... Not quite the cachet of something like Peter Wynne's.

At this point she's probably safer on the far side of Maltusian warzones than she would be on Earth.

Presumably they saw the battle of Ipswich on the news and realised he's back. Because you just know there were cameras, even in that situation.

Ah, OL's closest non-cape friends. I wonder if they've been worrying about him.

Didn't take long for there to be a lot less, though. Really satisfying to watch.

I'm sure they had the upper hand when you left. Not that you're allowed to say that. Who knows if there's something listening...

Yes, bit of a miscalculation on the Queen's part. Unfortunately, real-world equivalents are still just inside the 20-year range for rule 8, so... Except maybe the Vietnam War. I have the feeling this will be remembered by the Sheeda in the same light...

Benefit and drawback of knowing a superhero, only to have him away when this shit goes down. I bet Lois Lane, Iris West and other friends and family of the League have had that turn.

Pfft, I doubt it. Between being known as the home base of several Superheroes, and the general fuckiness of the city, I bet the Sheeda have been steering well clear. Hell, I would not doubt you if you said that the location of Gotham is still strange and dangerous even in the Sheeda's time. It's just that bad.

Nice to know people are prepared to defend themselves, at least. Moreso than the average DC American.

:D A fine show of restraint! Gotham really is improving.

And not just the Freaks, either. Remember stuff like Year One?

Which just encourages them, unfortunately. And as useful as an overconfident enemy is, it can be taken too far...

Given that the Sheeda can apparently detect and defend against Spectrum energies, it's probably tagged as a high-risk location for them. A 'Don't poke the sleeping bear' warning, if you will.

Suggesting she'd much prefer you to be out doing just that... I bet a lot of people are wondering why the Heroes aren't out there fighting harder.

Very much a good idea, wherever you plan to go.

A pre-determined safe spot for inbound arrivals, eh? And no doubt in the firing line of more guns than you could shake a stick at.

That has the sound of 'are you planning to do something stupid?'

Yes, definitely planning something stupid. Or being properly paranoid. More likely the latter.

Could a Sheeda Greediport? I rather doubt they could manage that level of Avarice, much less the skill needed.

Well, put some noble on a dogshit detail as punishment, maybe. I get the feeling she considers everyone and everything to be beneath her anyway.

Wait, has Thaddeus Senior been sitting here in his lab working all this time? Has he at least been distributing tech?

<facepalm> Dammit, OL. This is why you need to keep Malign Hypercognitives like him on a leash...

And I wonder how many of those events have made him look worse to the public than better. This is bigger than your ego, Doctor, or your scientific curiosity...

The joy of exact wording. Argh. At least he hasn't gone for the personal attack on Castle Revolving. Yet.

He wants his wife and kids to be safe, doesn't he? That is entirely in character for him. We've already seen the Sheeda can reach him on Venus, to some degree.

At first, I though Sivana Senior was gearing up to do what he did in the Renegade timeline, when OL stepped in... But without the rage caused by his families' deaths, he just isn't that motivated, is he? And he doesn't care about humanity enough to put that kind of effort in on their behalf. Ugh, what a payoff for that questline. Hopefully, OL can convince him to take a more active stance...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No.
    The Batman is a Batman.
    Thank you, corrected.

Gilhelmi, Ardy, BookZone and 6 others like this.
  22. Fellow

You wrote a beautiful omake. Really captured Mr. Zoat's writing style.

moralrelativity and Darko like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or they're keeping it for last.

Ehh, the Reach and Sheeda are kinda different in terms of danger.

Yeah the Sheeda are dangerous, but the Reach is on another level.

Hopefully they don't become like Marvel citizens after this, basically the Daniel Day Lewis of winning a Darwin Award.

I think OL talked to him about it, along with his children, and he said that they were fighting them on their own.

Like the one he's keeping Melmoth on.

I don't think any of this has affected his reputation.

If he hasn't revealed his involvement in this then they may not know anything about him.

He could just build a ship and send them away to a different planet, and equip said planet with defences against the Sheeda.

At least Paul may get some data on their tech and abilities that he doesn't have.

Yeah he has Melmoth, but it is possible that in his absence some things have changed in their tech and abilities.

24. Fellow

'is'

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

No, Alfred is a Batman, Batman is an Officer.

27. Mr Zoat

No, Alfred is a batman except when he's a Batman.

28. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Less useful than you'd think. That's a bit like getting visual arts advice from someone with very good eyes.

29. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Not as bad as getting blasted into the distant future but clearly trying to get desirable results out of Thaddeus Bodog Sivana is rather more problematic and either of them expected.

Wheenesss and moralrelativity like this.
  30. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Romantic advice from OL... Oh boy... I'm not saying he's doomed but I'm not not saying that either.

She was... spinning up Mars' core to make it go faster and make its magnetosphere worth a damn, right? I thought they said it would take a while? Did she really manage it in... what? Several months? I thought 'a while' meant years if not decades, not months?

moralrelativity, Cuchulin and Darko like this.