1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The discussion was very specifically about YJ Wonder Woman, of which stuff Zoat makes up has no relevance whatsoever.

Nor is this a case of Zoat going to the comics, because being bulletproof is not the norm for WW in the comics either. Wonder Woman became bulletproof when Neron killed her in 1997 and Zeus turned her into an Olympian. When he later stripped her of her Olympian powers, Zeus let her retain the improved invulnerability.

So in a career that has spanned 78 years, WW was bulletproof for 14 of them. Not even 18% of her career. The Speedforce that is too newfangled an idea for some DC fans not only predates WW's bulletproofness (being introduced in 94), but outlived it, because the current WW has been seriously injured by bullets that bounced off of Superman.

Vaermina likes this.
  2. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

With regards to why wonder woman uses her bracelets

[​IMG]

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Another reason Diana uses her bracelets could be in case something someone shoots her with may be capable of hurting her, even if she is bulletproof, so the bracelets are just extra protection.

The fact that she's sometimes been thrown through walls in the comics, or punched by someone with super strength, without getting a scratch and yet is somehow still vulnerable to bullets is just bullshit.

Though I guess with magic and some divines in mythology having weird weaknesses it wouldn't be the weirdest one.

Vorian and moralrelativity like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

26th June 2012
    17:02 GMT -5

I blink, and I can see the green explosion as Jordan hits the ground and keeps going, the-.

He's either okay or he's not. Scan the area. Is anyone-? Was anyone living down-?

Miles of blasted terrain. No one there now, whoever was there before. Next cluster of station inhabitants-.

"You would-"

Constructarmourandwarpdodge.

"-be well advised-"

The green aura has spread, filling local space as Lord Malvolio leaves the station. Diana's in pursuit, no sign of Mr. All-. No, there he is, moving station inhabitants into escape pods and launching them. Bit of a problem with his skill set: his inability to fight in space. He's still got his air mask, but we're going to have to transport him off the station before too long or he'll be a sitting duck.

"-to focus-"

Diana slices at him, causing him to raise his right hand to parry her sword with his, which fades as he half-turns to punch her in the solar plexus. Ah, moment by moment construct creation! Skilled in combat as well as powerful. Diana's armour takes it but she's knocked back, and he fires a fat energy beam at her as a follow up.

"-on the-"

I could shoot him, but we came to his home and killed his guests, and Diana doesn't look like she's in mortal danger. Escape pods start launching, blasting away from the station and orientating on the planet. If Flash has finished-.

I fly towards the launch bay, where Flash appears to be attempting to seal the area's hull breaches with the station's emergency patching supplies.

"Do you-?"

"-fight!"

A lance construct comes through the wall, impaling me through my construct armour! I'm slammed into the deck, and as I swing a crumbler around-. Gone. I turn, raise a construct shield and brace.

"Do you need a lift?"

"To where?"

"The Castle Revolving? One of the planets?"

He nods. "Get me to the Castle. Maybe Mist managed to-"

I attach filaments to him and-. The station's a write-off anyway, I create a crumbler construct and fly through all obstacles in the direction of the Castle Revolving.

"-reopen the portal."

"And you might be able to use the Sheeda still there-"

We're out of the decidedly sorry-looking station and flying through local space. I get a quick look at Diana and she's.. managing. In fact, she feels… Odd? Oh, don't tell me that she's actually using her divine abilities to keep up? Will wonders never cease.

"-as shields."

I keep a hefty shield construct pointed in their direction, but the journey is quick and it doesn't look like he can afford to move away from Diana-. Oh, she's lassoed him again so that he can't. That would explain it.

"I don't regret it."

"Good for you."

"Where's Hal?"

We fly into one of the more intact fly-aeries and I drop him off.

"Malvolio blasted him into the planet. If it didn't kill him, he's probably digging himself out. Excuse me."

And out of the ship again.

"Jordan, you alive?"

"Shaken up, but yeah. I think I went… Through the planet. Diana?"

"Coping. Can you help her?"

"What about you?"

"Flash is on the Sheeda ship in case Mist opens a portal. I want a closer look at what this 'void' actually is. If we can just fly out-."

"He can fly after us."

"With no stellar navigation assistance? Difficult."

"He could just aim at a nearby star."

"And we can get the full story out of the Guardians."

"Okay. Watch Diana's back until I get there, then switch out."

"Right."

Malvolio uses a trident construct to hold Diana's sword arm away and punches her in the faceplate. That could actually work; the nature of the attachment meant that we had to include weak points so that the wearer could speak and-.

Diana's head jerks back as he follows up on his shot with an energy blast, her grip momentarily weakening and the rope of the lasso slacking. Malvolio immediately-

Green laser construct.

-gasps in pain as I shoot him in the back of the head with a laser that passes right through his environmental shield. He switches his attention from Diana to me, but the distance between us makes dodging his slower than light constructs a simple matter. Though I'm careful to ensure that there isn't anything behind me as I dodge; the last thing I want is for him to hit the Castle Revolving because he got too single-minded. He grits his teeth and tries to fly at me, but Diana's recovered and tugs him back, forcing him to block her sword with a construct shield and just take the strike from the edge of her shield.

My laser isn't doing any damage that I can see; human flesh would have been incinerated by now while I can't even see sunburn on him. But he clearly finds it uncomfortable so I keep doing it. Can I burn his mask? No, though shooting him in the eyes got-.

My construct gets destroyed, and I notice that he used his left hand to draw his side arm. I-.

"Tag."

"Keep him away from the ship."

Jordan flies past, generating a hammer construct and I can't watch. Instead, I try a full intensity scan in the general direction of 'away from the star'. Returns after a certain point… Dim, and then cut out. It's actually inside where the normal Oort cloud would be, so that's where I'm going.

Space bends around me, and I leave the fight behind.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'right hand'

'takes it'

Was Paul being sarcastic or genuine?

Is Gloriana permanently dead, or will she come back somehow?

6. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Well now, I'm surprised.

Flash using relativistic weapons is one thing, he probably had plenty of practice against the Sheeda. But Wonder Woman tapping into her divinity to boost her combat ability?

Did the League actually take their performance evaluations seriously and work to fixing themselves???

If so, Paul now has one less thing to harp on them about.

7. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Making the rounds.

I don't actually remember the combat evaluations, could somebody mind linking them to me? :oops:

8. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

And where's OL off to, I wonder?

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

What exactly leads you to believe that Diana is using her divinity to boost her combat ability?

Unless Zoat is being creative, her domain would be truth (just as she was the goddess of truth as an olympian when Neron killed her in the comics), which applied to combat would I could see seeing through feints and diversions, making her the opposite of the swordsman the Prince of Lies/Eminence of Blades.

That's not what I noticed in this combat. What I noticed is what I would expect from a warrior with superhuman durability, reflexes, and strength with a magic sword, shield, and armor with advanced combat training.

So what did I miss?

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So is Malvolios collateral damage kill count due to the Green Light or due to him being a "Lord" ruling over "peasents"?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul thought that she felt odd when he saw her fighting him.

Paul also has a very powerful soul and can use magic to some degree, so he may have sensed her using some of her divine power to boost herself, or maybe fight like New Gods tend to.

He also knows how the League and its members fight so he would have prior knowledge of how she fights.

And Diana's been practicing her more esoteric power set, and Malvolio is not an easy opponent so some extra spark may be needed to fight him.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And now we're Dragon Ball Z. Genre to genre and it never gets boring, if nothing else.

Yeowch. Clearly Malvolio has no concern for any of his 'subjects', if he's tossing off casual destruction like that. Seriously, he just turned Hal into a living Kinetic Kill Vehicle...

Yeah, that would be my likely reaction too if I realised Malvolio was looking my way. Though mine would probably involve more expletives. And a never-ending thankfulness for a ring's bodily control capabilities...

Yeah, if he goes tumbling, he's not got many options. Even with superspeed AMBAC, he's going to be facing a long wait for rescue...

And multitasking too, given the yelling at his opponents with Green Light transmissions if I understand that right. Bit over-reliant on destruction pulses though...

Presumably anyone getting off has already done so now. If not, well... A tumbling space station generally only has one direction it can eventually go... One with a sudden stop at the end.

Good chance to have a well-earned discussion with him, given he's not going to be much use in the fighting. Remember to ask him what the flaming fuck he was thinking?

Bloody hell, Malvolio's persistent. Has he got something out for OL or what? Or was that aimed at Diana, who dodged at the worst moment?

...'One of'? I don't remember them having more than one celestial body present... :confused: Must have missed that...

Optimistic, isn't he? No wonder he got a Blue Lantern during Blackest Night.

If Mist had the portal open, there'd be a lot more people trying to face-punch Malvolio by now.

Ouch, OL... Not sure which is worse, the well-deserved poke at Mr Allen, or the one at Diana... I'd say it's almost catty. But then I'd remind myself of Best Kitty... :(

:sneaky: Who are you trying to convince, Barry? OL, or yourself? Not so easy once the heat of rage fades, is it?

Digging himself out of the planetary Mantle, most likely.

:eek: ...I was kidding. Is the only reason the planet isn't cracking right now because Malvolio is holding it firmly? While trying to beat Diana's face through the back of her head? Dayum...

Well, we haven't seen a Ring flying off in search of a new user yet... All signs point to 'yes'.

I am honestly impressed his shields held up to that. Man has an Iron Will.

At least then he'd be clear of the planet. I don't think it'll handle too many more impacts like that...

2nd star on the right, and straight on til' morning? :V

Yay. Running interference with the will-god. The thankless life of an Orange Lantern.

Bad, bad, bad, the tank's losing aggro!

Yes, always good to be aware of your backstop.

Interesting. He's reinforcing himself with green light, clearly. And regenerating any damage suffered as fast as it's taken... Wonder if his sidearm resembles a flintlock pistol? Or maybe a wheellock...

Well, time to poke the bars of the cell, see if you can get the attention of the gaoler.

Presumably it's just a null at the edge, rather than a spatial loop. That would get mind-bending, being able to turn a telescope onto infinity and see the back of your own head. :p

Well, I guess the Malvolio battle will end up getting resolved off-screen, while OL goes to find a place to cast 'Summon Bigger Fish'... Which increases the likelihood of it turning out as Earth-1 canon did. At least Diana's presence will make it harder for Malvolio to pull that fake Thanatos gambit...

13. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Is it me or is the Illustres in full "snarky, no fucks given" mode? I mean, lately he's been generally pretty passive, or passive aggressive at most, but the only way I can ready phrases like "Will wonders never cease." and "Good for you." is with a hundred percent high quality sarcastic tone. And for a guy that sometimes reads/sounds as robotic as Red Tornado, that's a lot.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... When are we going to find out what the real Sheeda Queen is doing?

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Now all we need is Nappa and we can quote whatever he says.

DBZ Abridged is canon as far I'm concerned.

If they work then why not use them,.

That he wasn't about to let a bunch of monsters get away with their crimes and was tired of them still having the gall to be alive.

The guy is a Green Lantern, so being persistent is part of it.

Mist is a very powerful magician, so it isn't all that unreal that he would have done it.

Unless he's just opening it, or the Leaguers that came through don't know what's happening.

I don't think he's trying to convince anyone, just stating how he feels.

One guy flying through a planet isn't going to destroy that planet.

Yes he does.

Ehh, her powers may not work like that, or are not developed to that level even if they did.

Also Malvolio has been practicing with his powers for centuries so he may be able to fool her.

16. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

He just punched Hal through the planet... Either the punch caused Hal to phase through all of the matter (making it pointless) or the planet is totalled. I mean I dunno how much kinetic energy you'd need to punch a person sized figure through the planet but I'm gonna guess 'a lot'. How much of it leaked into the environment? Did Hal's transition at 'ludicrous speed' set the atmosphere on fire? Did it cause a blast wave? What about him hitting the surface at high enough velocity to keep going through it, the core of the planet and almost out of the other side? That comet that killed the dinosaurs? It has nothing on Mal&Hal ;)

Of course that would mean being even remotely realistic about the consequences so I'm sure the "bullet hole" will be an amusing, Hal-shaped tunnel that doesn't affected the planet or its inhabitants in any way.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Evidence suggests either tomorrow or not in this episode. Of course, evidence is probably misleading.
    Into, not through. Damaging to those on that side of the planet, but not to those on the opposite side. Yet.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  18. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Except when they spend five episodes doing nothing but powering up by screaming like they're trying to pass a greyhound bus through their colon.

Are they still on Namek? Oh wouldn't that be a plot twist? Thirty/forty years and they've actually been trapped on that fake Namek this whole time because the illusion the aliens used changed to make them think they left. Then they have a whole team of alien writers to make up stories to put them in and record their fights for entertainment.

Gilhelmi, Ardy, BlueMangoAdea and 4 others like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Little from column A, little from column B.
    There's no such thing as 'permanently dead' in this setting.

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Hm... I kinda want a fanfic of this. There are no super saiyans or transformations. The super saiyan was just a legend Vegeta brought up that one time. Vegeta never got put in the simulation. He’s just dead after his arc and part of the simulation as Goku’s biggest actual fight. He’s a G-man / agent smith from the matrix. Since this is Goku, the best way to keep him from questioning his reality is to give him a rival. How do you keep Krillin entertained? Give him a girlfriend. Everything has just been a simulation. Pure wish fulfillment, just made to be believable. When they get out and try their super forms, none of them work. It’s basically the matrix, but with Goku and the crew. As for why they put him there - they want his Oozaru form power.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  21. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

As for Diana's durability. Well it's all over the damn place. I mean take the Justice League cartoon show. She's still shown blocking bullets with her bracers, but she also took punches from Superman and Mongol. Both of whom hit way harder than any bullet.

At this point I figure the brace or thing is more tradition than anything. With Diana's durability basically being plot based more than most characters. Plus for whatever reason in all of fiction massive blunt force trauma doesn't really matter. I mean Thor can Club you in the head with his hammer hard enough to knock you across the city and you get up just fine. But have someone cut you with a plain old sword and you're bleeding all over the place.

yeah, it's actually slightly annoying. Like, I get it, he's going oh man you stupid comic book characters.

And it's kind of amusing, the fact that he is just so utterly uninterested in what's going on right now. Like Diana's fighting this guy and OL is just like meh, you kind of got it coming.

But he didnt do anything until malvolio took a shot at him, and that's just equal parts funny and exasperating. Now he might be going for his whole, I don't really want to fight, so I'm going to go summon another person to help do the work for me.

22. Pez

Pez Spaceman

If the Queen is dead, OL sees their mission as completed His desire was to stop the Sheeda. If that's been accomplished, then fighting Malvolio, who won't be able to follow them home, is a pointless fight.

I would like to see Paul actually open up on Malvolio, just to see how his planning and creativity stacks up against Malvolio's experience and power, but Paul can't do everything. What's the point of having the people he's criticized actually grow if he just constantly solves their problems for them.

Comic-world physics are bullshit. The shockwave from a lot of these insanely powerful attacks should be turning internal organs to mush. Just like your example, they can tank through the kinetic damage that can shatter planets, but a minor piercing would, and the baddies have access to enough clone materials to create an army.

While I would prefer better power scaling, and more consistency from characters, I just remind myself that they are comic characters, try to not to keep my expectations high, and take whatever enjoyment I can.

Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

He was rescuing the civilians. Plus the reason he disn't join the fight until Malovio attacked him was that as far as Paul was concerned, the JL members were the ones in the wrong. As guests/ambassadors they had just openly murdered another set of guests/ambassadors in front of the leader of the sovereign nation. After asking for but not waiting for his adjudication. And then proceeded to fight said leader.

Paul was trying to be a fourth party loosely aligned with the JL but not a member. A fourth party that was actively trying to minimize the damage to Malovio's subjects, not fighting Malovio, and not supporting the murderers

I'm not saying Paul planned on just outright backstabing the JL, just that he was positioning himself diplomatically. And then Malovio atacked him anyway

24. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

This whole incident really feels like jumping the shark a bit to me. Should Flash hate the Sheeda so viscerally? Of course, that makes sense given what they've done (though as I said before, we barely see any of their current Harrowing on Earth so narratively the impact of his anger is really diluted). But where was this righteous anger when Klarion became what I believe is the biggest mass murderer in human history? When tyrants and dictators (and any government, really) commit similar atrocities to the Sheeda, just on a smaller scale? Are those situations logistically and politically complicated in ways that can't be simply solved by lethal force? Of course. So was this one.

The League accepting Nabu can make sense in terms of viewing Zatara's actions as heroic and noble self-sacrifice. But in general heroism should be about not taking the easy way, and this whole thing with Flash seems to come out of nowhere- saying he doesn't regret it while he's rescuing people who are in danger as a consequence of his actions is especially jarring. I found this development far more credible with Renegade-M'gann because actual time and context was spent on it (though I can't remember whether she actually killed people or not).

I hope there are actual consequences to Flash's actions, both in-universe and in the story and the League doesn't just brush this aside (sacred hospitality/xenia is probably an important value to Diana at the very least). People have been speculating some variety of mind control (which just made me think of Boss Smiley possibly being involved), but that feels a bit cheap, similar to Brion at the end of canon season 3.

25. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

To be fair, people have been speculating about Flash being mind controlled from the moment he barged in on the assault mission

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He probably felt it but we just didn't see him express it.

I don't even think he fought Klarion, but I may be wrong on this.

I don't think anyone on Earth can compare to what the Sheeda do.

Flash also probably doesn't spend a lot of time in places where atrocities happen, since I'm betting that they haven't signed the Charter and it may be difficult to stay incognito.

He spent weeks seeing what the Sheeda do, so that most likely put them on the top of his shit list.

He also may dislike and hate what tyrants do, but we just never saw him express that.

Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I still don't buy this theory.

Just because Flash is a nice guy, doesn't mean that he can't hate or do some bad things sometimes.

Young Justice attempted to portray realism in its story, and while I think it failed a lot of ways in that department it did have some pretty accurate moments.

Superman and his relationship with Kon being one such moment.

People may have thought that the borderline saintly Superman would adopt Kon right away, or just try to help him, but instead he avoided him.

This isn't saintly behavior, but it is highly realistic.

Most people, even extremely nice and good ones like Supes, would be extremely uncomfortable and try to avoid someone like Kon, who is basically in some sense a child by rape, made to either kill him or replace him and was made by a man who has dedicated his life to destroying Supes and everything he stands for.

His treatment of Kon wasn't right, but it was very, very understandable.

What is happening to Flash is most likely just a bout of realism.

After seeing what the Sheeda do to their victims, a lot of people, even nice ones like Barry, would hate them to the point they would want them dead, and they would be extremely pissed if it looked like they could be set free and would want to kill them on the spot without thinking of the bigger picture.

It's shocking, but very realistic.

28. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Alternatively, it's a very out of character for him to react like this. If we're supposed to believe that some atrocity Sheeda committed affected him in a way none of the atrocities committed by other parties ever did then we need to see a good on screen reason for this. This is not even a Show Don't Tell issue. Whatever drove the Flash to this point not only happened off screen, it was not even described.

So yeah, this not actually being the (present) Flash, not being Flash at all but someone possessing him/disguised like him or something fucking with his head makes a lot more sense.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

His rogues gallery doesn't exactly contain a lot of people that can do the things the Sheeda are willing to do, so his run in with people being melted to be used for the creation of tech was probably experienced when he first met the Sheeda.

Or the less fantastic explanation of him just getting really pissed at the Sheeda makes a lot more sense.

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Or... hear me out on this one...

Maybe he's British. :V

Colon instead of semicolon