1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

It's a reference to a worm fanfiction, where in a side story there was a dimensional crossover to the third shinobi war.

Gilhelmi and Ardy like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If it's more powerful than an average Lantern then that may be difficult, or even outright impossible.

A person can hate someone intensely even if they never personally harmed them.

After Flash witnessed what the Sheeda do to people, developing a intense hatred for them is highly plausible.

Yeah people may die sometimes in their fights, but they probably don't get absorbed into monstrous technology to be made into tools for psychopaths.

Ardy, Gilhelmi, TopHatWearer and 2 others like this.
  3. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Alternatively: sheeda mind control

4. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Batman mind link. This is what Mr Wayne feels like 24/7 (yes, even during breakfast - you'll never see anyone eating cereal as angrily as he does). Since he missed out on the combat he's mentally projecting himself through Barry. No need to control himself if he's merged with another person.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Ardy, Gilhelmi, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ah, yes, he learned this technique in Asia during his training.

Ardy, Gilhelmi, TopHatWearer and 2 others like this.
  6. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh. Making nuanced choices about when to let mass murderers go unpunished kind of isn't going to be the strong point of a costumed vigilante, for obvious reasons.

I mean, the overlap between "people who are okay with the idea that life is complicated and sometimes evil-doers get to walk away scot-free because someone with more power is protecting them, and it's just not worth the potential fallout of provoking the person with power" and "people who make it their life's focus to dress up in colorful costumes and punch evil-doers in the face because traditional law enforcement isn't doing a good enough job for their tastes" is probably pretty limited.

Jiro, Vorian, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or of a lot of people actually.

Vorian, Ardy, Gilhelmi and 2 others like this.
  8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I like this chapter. Flash just straight up murkle-ating the Sheeda, including said queen, please me.

Though I can't decide if I'm amused, or want to dope slap him, after OL's whole "Man, I don't even care about this now." moment.

So I'm under the impression the Hal just got bitch smacked down to the planet. Or are we thinking that a stray blast of his is headed that way?

Wanton mass murder is something that is rather hard to stomach. It requires either a level of detachment that few people possess, or a level of willpower much the same.

I mean, had you come across a WW2 death camp, could you hold back from thrashing the first German soldier you saw?

Were I the one who appeared in Earth 16 orbit with a power ring. One of the very first things I'd do once I got situated is murder Joker so hard there wouldn't even be a molecule of him left.

From...whom? His peers in the Justice League? Some of them maybe. Maybe.

But it's not like Barry has a boss in his Flash persona. Best they can do is yell at him, or kick him off the League. One is mostly pointless, and the other an active detriment to their organization. Barry is going to keep Flash-ing regardless.

Is someone going to beat him up? I mean maybe Diana might take umbrage. But I can't see her going that far....it'd be stupid and pointless. She clearly wouldn't want to kill him, and he's so much faster than her that anything less than her best will just leave her getting her ass kicked.

I pictured it, and it made me laugh far harder than it probably should.

Am I detecting a bit of passive-aggressive bitter snark here OL?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Vorian, Ardy, Gilhelmi and 10 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think some therapy is in his future.

Hmm, Diana has sometimes been shown as being incredibly fast herself, to the point she's been sometimes compared to be running at light speed(comic book logic so you know it has a lot of holes in it), so she may be able to give Flash a real challenge.

Plus she may have sparred with Jay, so has some experience in fighting super fast people.

Yes, you are.

OL can be a real passive-aggressive bitch sometimes.

10. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I didn't catch this at all. What event caused this internal snark? I have some vague memories of Diana perhaps doubting him at certain points, but nothing really stands out in my mind.

I think it's the "daughter of Zeus" version that is one of the fastest characters in DC, and that's because, when combined with her blessings, she was just so well trained, that her body had no wasted movements. I think only Wally and Barry were listed as being faster, with Diana and Cheetah being the 3rd and 4th fastest. I once watched a video or saw a web article that compared everybody's speed.

In the YJ canon, ignoring Lanterns, I believe Flash is the fastest, followed by Jay Garrick, then, Shazam, then Superman (per the Shazam wiki page - show creator). I would think WW would come after Superman.

Vorian and Gilhelmi like this.
  11. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

If we have Robo therapists, Why not have AI/Audio Cassette Therapists created. An AI on a discman that can't connect to anything but its headphone jack. Each Leaguer can have a Therapist with them at all times. Queen Industries/Wayne Tech could totally fund this kind of thing and have them mass produced for soldiers and cops and first responders, then have them for everyone.

Also didn't OL learn Hermes was basically only Male god friendly with the creation of diana and blessed her?

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Fixed that for you.

13. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Well played, good sir. I also hate that name change. It makes no sense that his transformation trigger is his name. I suppose intent has to be involved, so he can say his name without transforming.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  14. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

yes they should let more terrifying psychopaths and lunatics rampage around because they are scary when they let go.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Blame those conflicts DC had with Marvel comics over the fact that both of their characters shared the same superhero name.

They called his comics Shazam since the 70s, so a lot of people thought that was his name.

16. Maxx Crowley

Hey, Guy's available.

I could imagine the Jay, but I don't remember Diana EVER being that fast. I think WoZ is that her top speed is like 70 mph in flight so...

I'm just surprised he's still salty at her.

I'm not sure. The Nabu incident still?

Gilhelmi, RGFJ and TopHatWearer like this.
  17. Maxx Crowley

Billy Batson as Captain Marvel came decades before Marvel's Captain Mar-vell though.

RGFJ likes this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I think you and he missed what that was about then.

It wasn't that she could be killed by a car, it was that she could only be killed by a descendant of Aurakles.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Nabu thing maybe.

When Giovanni put the helmet on she didn't stop him, but now when a powerful being is trying to hurt a comrade she's trying to stop said being.

I remember once watching a video in which Diana was said to have light speed levels of speed, and even had a page from the comic where it said that, but I don't remember the exact video, so sorry.

He can hold a grudge.

Yeah, but that didn't stop the legal disputes, and I guess either DC lost them or just chose to change the name so they'd stop.

20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He can, but in this case he's being genuine. It IS nice that she's demonstrating that she learned from her failure and is actively avoiding repeating it.

21. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Really, cause to me it seem like just taking the default hero choice without thinking things through.

Where if some one on your side decides to up and start killing people during the diplomatic negotiations/peace talks/truce, instead of deciding to join in on violating the peace yourself and turn on the other attendees, how about shooting the guy who committed the war crime instead? Even if he is on your own team?

Or if you want to be fair, check you guy for signs of enemy mental control in case this is a false flag operation by the Sheeda to gain a ruling in their favor. But attacking the guy hosting because someone on your side flipped his shit is not kosher.

Vorian and DrThoth like this.
  22. Maxx Crowley

Last I knew, Marvel scarfed up the copyright in a small window when DC wasn't paying attention.

Vorian likes this.
  23. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not exactly. Buckle up, because this is kind of a fun ride.

The Billy Batson Captain Marvel was created by Fawcett Comics in 1939. In the 50s, DC sued him out of existence due to similarities to Superman (in a roller coaster of a lawsuit that involved DC fucking up and almost losing the rights to Superman, and the ultimate decision being given by a judge with the comics-worthy name of, I kid you not, Learned Hand).

In the 60s, a company called M.F. Enterprises did a short-lived bootleg version of Captain Marvel (an android who could split and rejoin his body parts by yelling Split-Xam, and had a kid sidekick named Billy Baxton). Marvel Comics--who had only recently started publishing superhero comics under that name--got pissed off at anyone except them using the name 'Marvel' in this field, and so created a character called Captain Marvel just to stop other people from using the name.

In the 70s, DC bought the rights to use Captain Marvel from what was left of Fawcett (which had long since left superhero comics behind, and was at that point only publishing Dennis the Menace comics).

However, trademarks require use to maintain, and with a gap that long, the clock for those rights as a brand identifier was essentially starting all over again. This means that DC has the right to use the character, but can only use his name within something, not as the actual title.

If you've ever wondered why some characters pop up again every few years, that's why. If a trademark hasn't been used in three years, there's a presumption that it's been abandoned, so any character that DC/Marvel doesn't want to risk is probably going to get something with their name in the title every two years or so.

(Bonus super-fun comics IP fact: Marvel and DC jointly own a series of trademark registrations for the term 'super hero' and 'super heroes', which are almost certainly completely bullshit, but just not worth the money for anyone to go through the lawsuit needed to fight them on it.)

ChestBurster, Ardy, Vorian and 5 others like this.
  24. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I thought it was that one owned "super hero" and the other "superhero" (Marvel and DC, respectively). I could be completely wrong, though, because I don't care. It's stupid, like most trademark BS when it comes to common words.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  25. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

Hmmm seeing flash fight like this made me want to read something that elaborates/explores on the superspeed power, does anyone have a good fic to recommend?

Not to belittle a therapist role in one's mental health and the good it does to be able to rely on someone trained to help you process trauma, BUT I've been thinking that other than pony-land-friendwhip-therapy it would also be interesting to see the comic-book aspects of this setting come into play when dealing with that sort of thing. Not sure about the AI cassette therapist someone talked about, and I'm not very knowledgeable about comics to make a specific suggestion but.. maybe something with magic, relating to souls, the dreaming, or even the emotional spectrum would be interesting to see explored, like Renegate sort of did with the anti life arc.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  26. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

To be honest, many of the Guards at the concentration camps were killed on sight.... Even those already in custody as POW's.

As far as I can remember, no one got in trouble for it. At most, some finger wagging. The Officers were 'usually' kept alive because they were kept separately from enlisted and were needed for intelligence purposes, but it was not a guarantee.

I love the diplomatic route, and I am sad that they were unable to go down it, but I don't blame Barry Allen at all.

ChestBurster, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Maxx Crowley

Let's remember that sometimes...people don't want a peaceful, diplomatic solution.

They want to paint the walls with the fucker's guts.

Honestly? In a way, this is partly Malvolio's fault. His blocking OL led our lead Lantern into not being able to watch everything with his empathic vision. Had he been doing that, he probably would have seen what is churning around inside of Flash.

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I don't think YJ WW has superspeed.

When asked how Blockbuster would do against the League, Greg said that Superman's array of powers would leave Blockbuster generally outmatched, but that Blockbuster could fight WW one to one and have a 50% of winning.

To me, that implies lack of superspeed. Superman could speedblitz him, while WW would actually have to slug it out with him which is BB's forte.

Plus, when asked what Wonder Girl's powers were, Greg stated "Cassie can fly, and she's very strong - but not as strong as Conner. She can bounce bullets off her bracelets, but she's NOT invulnerable - else why would she NEED to bounce bullets off her bracelets. She's also very proficient with her unbreakable lasso."

Cassie generally gets the base WW power set, just not the esoteric stuff like "talks to animals" or "superhuman empathy."

Plus other Words of Greg had mirrored the other comments- That WW isn't as strong Superman, and that WW isn't invulnerable, because that's what the bouncing the bullets off the bracelets is for.

So I believe Cass followed that trend and has the WW power set in YJ.

Although obviously lack of superhuman speed doesn't mean lack of superhuman reflexes because bullets bouncing off of bracelets doesn't work otherwise.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Maxx Crowley

I should point out, that according to OL in the story, Diana could, and something along the lines of "Tank cannon shells naked"

30. Pez

Pez Spaceman

You're right that she's never exhibited anything close to super speed in the show. Of course, we see very little of what most of the League can actually do, but when we do, she doesn't move too fast.

With that said, similar to the quote below, the WW in this story is different than canon. Early in the story, OL races her, so we see how fast she is capable of flying (which isn't the same as running speed).

I believe I remember that as well. I know some iterations of WW are more bullet resistant/proof, and others aren't. I think they tend to deal with her parentage, or what blessings she has.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.