1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The only real time I remember Luthor and cures in a movie was in that one animated one with the Superman clone, where Luthor made a cure for a disease and then ordered it to be reduced in its effectiveness so that he can make more money by selling more of it instead of curing people from just one shot.

2. Greatswordsmith

Greatswordsmith Getting some practice in, huh?

The most relatable thing I've seen in this story.
    One would think that a global catastrophe with countless preventable deaths would be enough to get a planet to get it's act together, yet our civilization seems content to chug along with barely any changes after covid-19, and after reading this I have to wonder if it is because of, as zoat puts it "A wilful embrace of 'getting by'". A failure across many decades of accepting mediocrity in our public institutions.

Of course QQ isn't the place to discuss the details of the success or failure of government response to covid, but props to zoat for using connections to modern events to make your setting more relatable (assuming it was intentional).

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Love that speech! So many pieces if fiction turn me off because they never have the balls to actually go through with the consequences of the stuff they show.

I love Stargate because it is one of the few shows that actually showed the heroes incorporating new tech.

Granted, not to the degree they should have and there was always the dumb "secrecy" excuse, but still.

4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Didn't Paul have perfect recall? And if he did, then why isn't this ringing alarm bells?

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, mauke and 8 others like this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It was when he was at Vanishing Point. Time manipulation trumps his perfect recall.

6. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Do we have a reason for this in-universe yet?

My hypothesis is that the Sheeda's Harrowing with violent mass-murder every few millenia means far more ambient magic generated via broken-down souls from previous sophont species; it's probably an exponential thing so it would also indicate that most other magic-infused worlds have their own regular, forgotten disasters/Harrowings.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

*Boss Smiley Laughs in the background*

8. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

I think it was explained as The Guardians getting rid of magic as best they could because for some reason that was one piece of DC's jank cosmology they could not abide by.

ChestBurster, Lotor, mauke and 5 others like this.
  9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Especially when one leaves tasks unfinished. I know you don't think it's your job, OL, but you really need to check up on things instead of trusting other people's common sense, something we know is in short supply around there...

Not noted is that ultimately, his plan failed utterly in the end. All he did was kill a bunch of people who were ultimately insignificant in the long run, then end up getting himself killed stupidly...

Because very few in leadership positions would have gotten harvested once people knew about it... I wonder how much effort they put into stopping the attacks on the poor.

And Purple rays aren't in wide enough circulation to be commonly available either... Bet that'll get a kick in the pants after this...

Too many unknowns involved to predict anything clearly, ultimately. And because OL has dismissed it as his problem, we'll likely never know until he decides to look in on affairs.

Ah, yes, that expectation that 'You're the Justice League, you should have been able to save everybody, shouldn't you?' I suppose it's a wake-up call DC Earth needed. Since they largely ignored the previous one unless it directly affected them...

Let's hope it doesn't result in a fracturing of the team. They've got enough trouble to deal with without that.

Heh, I have no doubt that if Truggs were in any position to try and gloat, he would call OL and do so..

Oh, god, Batman's going to be even more pissed... The last thing he needs is OL talking to the press...

She sounds worried, doesn't she? Bet she's the unlucky intern who pulled the short straw on making the call...

Given the last time that happened, it got Dana Dearden fired... That sort of reaction is quite reasonable.

Not that they would have shared that with anyone, I bet.

Ah, OL doesn't remember that little encounter, does he? Because time-fuckery.

AS moralrelativity says, this should be ringing bells in OL's head... A pity he can't really investigate it, though.

Not that the time matters much, what with Ring-based physical adjustments...

So the League are keeping the whole Malvolio thing under their cowls, huh? Don't want to spread panic over the existence of a Green-light powered tyrant with a possible nark on for Earth.

And Batman, seeing this, just slumps in his chair, before bending over the counter of the Bat-computer and banging his head off the keyboard...

No doubt Thaddeus Senior would take 'psychopath' as a compliment... And Batman just starts groaning 'Why? Why? Why do I allow anyone to talk to him?'

The more impressive thing is that it worked. At least OL didn't mention that the Pardon had to be global, not just American. Just imagine the ideas some people would get... Like the Joker...

And if the public knows anything about Sivana, they should hopefully be aware that he does love his family, and what would happen if someone hurt one of them...

Or twenty years down the line... But the later they left it, the more likely Earth would hit back harder than they could withstand.

And someone's finally said it to the public. Earth is damn lucky. Damn, damn lucky.

In other words, get off your arses, sort your shit out, and make the world a better place...

...It would be so easy, if you'd just bother to look past your TV screen and think, Humanity.And yet because of forces like Boss Smiley, they'll just slump back down with their beer and pretzels, flip the channel over to the latest inane 'reality' show, and forget.

On the upside, this plotline may just give OL the impetus to actually follow through with that goal. Humanity's had a close call, now it's up to people like him to keep them moving forwards...

Well, hopefully people will actually listen to what OL's telling them. :rolleyes: And maybe the Joker will suffer a spontaneous turnabout of character and regret everything he's done! ...I can see OL wanting to spend more time in space after this, just to get the bad taste of his goal of improving humanity being wilfully ignored...

...to replace the cramped and unsanitary hovels...
    But that's… Things are going to change, now.
    I… But… No one's seen her in months.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ever since Highfather and Darkseid locked up Common Sense Man, things have not been the same.

(a thing from Judiciary Misadventures on SB)

As you said, time-fuckery.

Well it could just be Paul not thinking it was relevant.

Or throwing things around while Alfred calls him a stupid boy, just like in the Abridged universe where Supes became president.

I think he has an innate bias to hearing British people speaking, what with Alfred.

The Joker doesn't really offer anything to people, unlike Sivana who is a genius scientist.

Next episode is the war with the Reach, so a space adventure it is.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    ChestBurster, Lotor, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I disagree.
    I don't believe that he remembers that.
    I disagree.
    Yes. Attacking the League. Not depopulating entire cities.
    That would be better grammar, but that's not what he said.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Over Reaching.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I disagree.
    Thank you, corrected.

12. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I thought he remembered Time Trapper after the Krona adventure? I found these quotes:

So it seems he should remember Dan Dearden.
    Gee, I wonder what that could be about.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He seems to not remember all of it, but just some parts.

ChestBurster and Gilhelmi like this.
  14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

*Points to hundreds of fantasy and science fiction comics, some of them who have millions of fans.

The problem is that Superhero comics are supposed to happen in present day Earth. So either you make Supers rare or recent or you have to use a stockpile of excuse cards to explain why the World has not changed due to supers.

15. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

It’s hard to pick up a child when they want to just roll around in the dirt and throw a tantrum

16. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Lex puts more effort into trying to kill someone who has proven himslef not a threat than he has everything else combined. He is a PERFECT example of the kind of person Paul is talking about, someone who could make a difference, could advance humanity, but instead spends billions on making Metallo and other supervillains more dangerous.

He is one of the worst offenders, because he has a multinational company and we never see any benefits come from it.

Ironically Bruce Wayne is in the same boat.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He at least is trying to stop lunatics like Luthor from burning down the world.

18. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, I knew this was gonna happen. Wait and see mode it is.

Because he has no way to stop OL from doing anything. OK isn't intimidated by him, and the power disparity is so high, that short of trying to steal OL's ring first, he can't muscle up on him either.

And even if he did steal OL's ring...that would slow Para-Paul down for what? Few seconds before he called it back? Not even Batman can lay a beat down that fast.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  19. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

This is what I've been waiting for!!!

I really hope we get more interview styled chapters, and that we can see the fallout around the world.

This should be a massive wakeup call for everyone! I expect mad scientists or people with super tech should be crawling out the woodwork to make sure they aren't considered "mediocre" for never doing anything to help the world.

Pretty much everyone on Earth would have lost someone to the Sheeda. This should have even bigger repercussions than the Earth splitting on Halloween.

Looking forward to a White House PoV, and a Justice League PoV, among others.

Vorian, Ngamer11, zeebza and 2 others like this.
  20. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

How does that relate to Dearden? I can't remember.
    Not really. Anyone following the Orange Lantern's escapades knows that dead people sometimes don't stay dead.

21. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

is this true or was it a decoy? please be true.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think the Legion of Superheroes abducted him because they thought he was somehow connected to time shenanigans, and somehow also got Dearden during it.

After that she apparently stayed with them and I'd now a superhero.

If you want to read and find out more then the episode where this happened was before the Mandate episode.

23. Mr Zoat

To the best of the SI's knowledge, it is correct. He's right.

24. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I now want to see the Batman make "Orange Lantern Repellant" Spray. Something that would fit in well with Batman: The Brave and The Bold.

I love my Batty Sue.

Yeah, this should be raising all the alarm bells. I wonder if Boss Smiley is trying to suppress Paul while on Earth by making him miss warning signs.

On another note. I am trying to recall a nation in modern times that Truly collapsed. A few have failed, but none that I can recall that just stopped being.

How would the rest of the world react to places where there is no government? Colonization still has a bad reputation (as it should). But without the support systems of a government, many people will die in the chaos that will come. Some people will rise up to lead the survivors, but rival factions could create hostilities.

On smaller scales, it might be like rural Afghanistan/Pakistan/India where "officially" the government is in charge but lacks the manpower, will, or the resources to actually enforce the laws. But even then, the locals tend to 'humor' the governments until they go away (or occasionally things get violent).

I have a sudden urge to ask political science majors to have an in-depth discussion on the matter.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  25. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what are you talking about this is one of the best uplift stories i have read yet.

26. Maxx Crowley

God I hate Batman. Like....I can't even put it into words. I hate the very concept of Batman. I hate "badass" normals BECAUSE of Batman. Like, I wanna read My Hero Acadamia fanfic, but there are too many uber powerful "Quirkless" Izuku fics. Annoys the hell out of me. Why are they all missing the point?! Why are they so determined to suck all the fun out of the setting?!

Didn't know what this was about, clicked the reveal.

That's Vaermina. He hates literally everything OL has ever done, or will do.

27. Mr Zoat

I don't think we can talk about any 'modern' nations that have collapsed on this site.

28. Maxx Crowley

Oh, and it's also nice that the fleet OL requested got there just in time to be completely useless for the purpose they were sent.

Honestly? Where I OL, I might be chewing someone's ass over that.

I kinda want to see Dox's reaction to someone calling HIM incompetent. (Though I don't think it was his fault. Just something that popped into my head)

29. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Maxx please, this is a superhero story. You can't have character call for backup and have them arrive on time and use their space age sensors and weapons. If the adults/police/military save the day what's the point of plucky superheroic vigilantes.

Drizaro and Ardy like this.
  30. Maxx Crowley

I mean...OL calls for help all the time. Though admittedly to other super powered individuals.

Of course, for myself, I firmly stand with the idea that Power rings trump spaceships every day of the week.

But it just amuses me that OL set something up with his own organization...and it was pretty much useless for what he wanted it for. I think that's actually a first for OL. His shit usually works.

Ngamer11, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.