1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

You know, that sounds like a question for the sociologist in the family. Or is that too much of a "soft science" for you, Dr. Sivana?

Prince Charon, Vorian and Orabilis like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sadly there are always people that are willing to embrace idiotic ideologies, even when there's evidence contradicting their beliefs.

He's apparently running some kind of psychological experiment on his children, with the whole who gets into a relationship first thing, so he most likely has knowledge and respect for those types of sciences, but may not have that much interest compared to some other things. And Paul is one of the few experts on people Sivana knows.

3. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Oh yeah smiley. thats another month or so.
    All the Pauls was kind of answered but i dont remember if paragon or renegade knows. i also thought him not being in fate/history was just a when he was inserted in time thing. you are right but i dont see any of this taking to long.

I can see many hard hit countries wanting lex and his fleet as leader of unified earth. He begins gobbling up nations and soon its countries that can stand on thier own after the Sheeda invasion and every country that needs lex and the lights help.

Alien wise Why hasn't the church tried to say any alien that looks 90% human is a creation of their god who seeded dozens or more worlds. Any human like aliens are ok but the weird aliens are bad.
    Superman, the Hawks, all look very human so why hasn't anyone misrepresented the facts with a conspiracy.

Its going to be hard to turn earth against heroic aliens, so dont. turn them against the dozens of aliens that dont have a hero on earth. Go conquer some more advanced worlds in a form of space imperialism/colonisation. (its not good but its a lex kind of idea)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Was it ever confirmed whether or not it exists?

5. Revlis

Revlis Getting sticky.

If Canon comics are anything to go by, maybe a couple weeks of dealing with the fallout, then ignore it ever happened. If even that.

Ardy likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon Lex doesn't have a fleet.

We have no idea what the various religions stances on aliens is, we just know that they accept magic to some degree, or what type of conspiracies are out there about why a lot of aliens look like humans.

If Earth becomes a conquering world then either the Guardians and the GLC or the Controller's and the OLC will make sure they immediately rethink their foreign policy, unless they want to lose their fleet and be locked up on their planet.

The fact that he showed up was very weird and in the TV Tropes page for members of the Light it says that he's a member, so chances that he exists are very high.

Not necessarily, they are starting to adopt magic after Roanoke, so we know that they can learn from incidents like this.

The reason why they haven't before this is because things like this are apparently rare on Earth 16, unlike in the other universes where aliens practically invade once a year.

7. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Probably follow up on that reporter who disappeared? Because there's no way this is not important.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Sivana frowns. "Well, no one has ever survived one of my dissections before, but I'm sure that if they do we can come to some sort of arrangement."

9. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Hmm, not the first mad science type I've heard use the phrase, but Tyl Regor really was more interested in revenge then SCIENCE at the time.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'What do you think this sort of trauma does to humans'

Or just remove 'do you think'

11. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

I wonder how the Saremites reacted to the Sheeda during all this. If I remember right their people are the remnants of those that managed to survive a previous Harrowing. I had completely forgotten about them until I started re-reading the story and got to the part where Kon and OL go to Themyscira.

12. Flightless Man

I guess i got some renegade chapters mixed up and thought both lexs did. This focuses paragon more on the reach and scientist lex. Renegade more on Darkside and Politician Lex.

Fair enough, my point was more that as far as earths experiance with aliens go, some basically look like humans only with different skin/hair color or bird wings. and then others look drastically different like kilowag or some of the other lantern aliens. It would be easier for a group to come up with a reason the more human looking aliens are friendlier to humanity. Alien hate would come after invasions especially since its rarer here. But then i guess the whole genemorph/demon laws have made this a non factor. So yeah i realize my error on this one.

We have many uninhabited worlds we can terraform for mass expansion. Someone like lex can get some more agrresive yet weaker species to attack us. we defeat and conquer the ones who attack us. The guardians wont get involved for a few hundred years based on prior dealings, Earth has to become a sector sized empire for them to really care.Lex the light know about the reach's restrictions on war and can get Earth on a similar we will uplift you plan. Thanagar and many other empires exist and the OL and GL corps only curb excess hostilities. If Earth, the OL, 2IC's world makes an empire, it looks to everyone like its OL and GL approved because 5 human GL's and OL torchbearer is human.

With all the Sheeda, Reach, Appokalyptian, Appelexian, and mad scientist tech, Humans don't need OL or GL's for a fleet. Renegade version humans already have one, paragon can have one soon. Even if earth goes military expansion in space, we wont affect enough of spece for atleast a century for us to matter.

Again to reiterate, i don't want this to end but i have been wracking my brain for a couple weeks now for remaining plots. I'm getting scared it will end

Sivanna feels like it is wrapping up.

Wonder Woman and Alan and Guy (I feel like each has some minor threads still unraveled).

His Gotham friends can always be thrown in but i'd be more interested in Bullocks view of post Sheeda invasion. The girls feel more like filler.

Shazam/Black Adam/Billy is a plot i forgot and i do want to see how this is finally resolved.

Team and Zatanna.(Again a few threads left like seeing how the kids are after a war. Who's mindsets changed?)

Missing Constantine, i also forgot is ongoing.

Darkstars, OL corp and Reach. Time with Jade. (Did Someone ever comeback in time instead of Bart Allen or was this removed completely? or still to come?)

Guardians confrontation and i guess since all the corps have been forming, Blackest night is on its way. I assume as final arc for Paragon since he deals with Lantern stuff more. Renegade will probably do Darkside, since theirs only one of him or something(i only like 85% understand darkside).

Mr Smiley i kind of assume will be the remerge the different pauls kind of thing or atleast give a concrete reason for everything. Maybe Constantine went looking for a real answer behind why Paul is here since he is basically the only one who knows. Paul taught him a work ethic and to help friends, so John is doing so.

Starro's have been dealt with right? Martian heritage I forgot is in middle of revolution.

Edit: the election has been ongoing for a long time aswell. I can see maybe 2 years :)

Based on how fast Zoat writes, and with his back and forths of perspectives between versions, i can see 1 and a half or so years of paragon story left. I'm happier then i was a few days ago, thanks for everyone who gave me hope by reminding me of plot threads. I was really getting scared i was going to wake up and see this was marked finished. And if i am forgetting anymore main storylines i would love to be reminded so i know i have even longer to read.

Xmaster3000 and Fellow like this.
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Every powerful country using this as their [censored] excuse to make them come there?

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I wouldn't bet on Lex and the Lights ability to manipulate the Reach.

In the show the reason they won against them was because a time traveler came back to stop the Reach.

In the timeline where he didn't come back the Reach won.

The Guardians may be keeping a closer eye on the Earth due to the Life Entity, along with all the other weird things there.

We also don't know what their policy is to conquering empires now compared to in the past, after the Reach fought them, so now they may have changed their policies and act quickly.

We know they quarantied one species on their home world.

Bart Allen, if he shows up, may show up several years from now in the story.

Fellow likes this.
  15. Flightless Man

Normally no, but Earth has more to fight back with here. Its more of an even manipulation on both sides.

As long as earths first couple of interstellar moves arent warlike, they get past the stage we can be easily quarantined.GL's now have several corps to contend with and would have to agree with OL corp before moving against earth. They were going to give paul the whole sector when he had ophidian so unless a sectors lantern can handle it, guardians will make a deal. Humans end up with a whole sector.

16. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

We just finished "season 4" out of 11 if the plan is to end at December 2015. Reach seems to be the arc plot for season 5.

As for other stuff:

Sinestro Corp War or other war. I think Paul has been reckless in his Orange Lantern Corp and there are likely others that will pop up. A red or yellow lantern war feels inevitable. Potentially even a curveball with Indigo or even going directly against the Greens. Earth 16 Sinestro is one of the most conspicuous remaining absences.

Blackest Night. A follow up to the Corp War. Nekron and the Entity haven't really been dealt with yet.

Whatever Constantine has been up to. Another magic plot.

Boss Smiley plus there is the potential for more Hellplot. I don't think Mammoth is quite as stable in his position, someone likes the old status quo, besides Mammoth himself. It has been mentioned a couple times that he isn't completely reliable. How long before it is exploited for their benefit.

Darkseid is still a threat to Paragon. Canon has a true Darkseid and each universe has an aspect of him or something. It is how there is a Granny-51 and a Granny-16. And as per Season 2 and 3 of YJ Canon, there is definitely a Darkseid at work who is dealing with the Light.

There is also the risk of the metahuman traffiking proliferation plotline. But even more direct of an arms race. Paragon Britain and Morgana are still out there and are only one part of the hidden unstable geopolitical environment.

There is also still the multiverse. Blue Lantern and the Syndicate is still out there, not to mention the wider multiverse. Krona isn't the only threat to deal with, I don' think the monitors have even really been involved yet.

There are other space threats from a more traditional invasion such as War World.

I think the Legion of Superheroes and Time Travel can still be relevant as well.

Finally there is still the Light itself. Paragon has dealt with a few of the members, but Savage, Lex, and their support network is still out there. And they will keep recruiting.

There is also the option of a larger focus on alternate-Pauls than just him and Renegade.

Speaking to uplift from a few releases ago, I think you don't even need to look at Peter to see how Paul is doing. Even Renegade is doing better imo. Like he spent no time on the Sheeda and his forces still wiped them out so bad that the plot actually had to strand Renegade in the future. Not to mention he dealt with the Light. Finally he set up Light 2.0 which is a system far more capable of uplift than the Paragon's Justice League and his research network. There is already a Renegade EDF. He dealt with Britain. He set up a metahuman affairs department and a far more informed government than Paragon's Senator Knight who is still running in an election and would still have a lot of uptick needed.

Paragon feels very self-righteous and hypocritical in his actions, and isn't even that more farsighted than Renegade. Renegade is very honest about who he is, and seems less willing to condemn others as much. Renegade can also experience threats as well at some points. Even at his cosmic level, he can still fight cosmic level threats. But the Ophidian is such a game-breaker.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's unlikely to happen because Paul probably wouldn't let it happen.

Yeah he wants the Earth to flourish and prosper, but not at the expense of innocent people, and he doesn't want humanity to become a bunch of conquering imperialists.

If they conquered people that attacked them then he may be fine with it, provided they treat the people well and don't do the things conquerors have done, like enslavement.

If he finds out these aliens were manipulated into attacking Earth then he would try to get rid of the manipulator.

And even if they make colonies the GLC can still just destroy the ships and leave the colonists quarantied on the colony worlds, or just have a Lantern use their ring to pick them up and move them back to Earth.

18. Mr Zoat

No, it's correct as it is.
    Mild shame that the humans were able to handle something which their people were not.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat mentioned that the whole avatar of a greater force Darkseid isn't a thing in his story, and Darkseid is just a very powerful godlike being, but is not the Avatar of some multidimensional entity.

Yeah there are multiple versions of him throughout the multiversre, but there are also multiple versions of other people throughout it as well, and none of them are avatars.

He's also apprently not that interested in the Earth in this story, and just sees it as another random planet.

The metahumans trafficking may not happen in this story, as I think I remember Truggs mentioning something about using a power giving device on soldiers and volunteers, unlike in canon in which they kidnapped children, so while a metahumans arms race may happen, it may not be as horrifying as the one in the show.

As for the uplift thing, this has been explained multiple times, by both the author and other readers.

Paul wants others to help the uplift process and actually take action, and not just depend on him to do everything, since that's basically coddling people.

He compared just giving all the data in his ring to wiping the ass of a physically and mentally capable adult.

He wants people to take more action themselves since he can't be there all the time, and he's going to go to war against a powerful empire that may have something that can kill him, and that's without getting to the fact that he fights various weird things that can also kill him, to the point where he may not be able to come back.

Other people have been taking actions to uplift technology throughout this story, like releasing powerful energy tech.

Paragon is also much, much more honest than renegade.

If you actually read the renegade chapters you'll see that he practically seems to be manipulating people most of the time and is trying to hide things from them, while paragon doesn't tend to do that as much.

Renegade is also very, very willing to condemn people.

He started a humiliation campaign against some people that saw some of them commit suicide, and has been badmouthing Ryandr in public and hurting his reputation on Tamaran.

Paul didn't do these things.

I'd say renegade is much more willing to condemn others than paragon is.

Fellow and Ngamer11 like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In fairness the humans knew for months that the Sheeda would attack, so they had some time to prepare some measures to defend themselves, while the Saremites didn't have any advance warning from what we know.

21. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Isn't this Sheeda harrowing basically EXACTLY what The Light wanted, but without them getting to make themselves look good for it?

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Flightless Man

I agree Paul will try to not let it happen. Thats why i was saying Lex and the Light already know the basics of galactic expansion rules. Its easy for them to be a nicer version of the Reach and still be evil. If humans colonize a dozen uninhabited worlds and establish an inter stellar prescence, 2 GL's will lose against earth. If it turns into a war, the guardians know earth will be a hard win so likely do a vega deal. I see our sector being blocked off way more likely then only earth.

The GLC does not have the power it once did. they won't be able to make a decision on Humans with discussing it with Dox and Paul/OL Corp. They were already willing in story to write off our sector, if done smart Lex could arrange for human domination of the sector. If Gl's move against humans without talking, it would basically begin the war of the light.

Thank you, for sharing.
    Ok so we have a weaker darkside for Paragon, I didn't really understand the avatar thing.
    Morganna i also forgot so thank you.
    Yeah each nation's fast track advancing fits in with the elction. good catch.

Meta Human Trafficking and Warworld are in YJ canon but here will feel like filler, like how mangha khan did.

Yeah Multiverse is still an option. Krona again good catch thanks.

Vandal, Lex and other members who have been involved we do need to handle i was brief on saying so. But adding new ones now will feel weird. Adding a bunch of new threats at this point even if in DC, will feel like padding/filler. Especially any of the ones not in YJ canon.

I agree focusing on other Pauls is a good idea but i mainly meant Paragons story felt like it was nearing final few arcs. You reminded me of some and i can see about 3 years of Paragon Paul with what has been set up so it's not he final stretch like i feared. Feels like were in second half of grade 10(if story is someones school career from grade 1-12). Stories end and i dont want this to turn into bleach/naruto where it keeps going just to continue, so i am very glad more plots i forgot leaving natural story left.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  23. Radix

The Avatar thing is mainly a Morrison thing to explain the singular evil Darkseid. But the main point is that there is more than one Darkseid in the multiverse.

As for Darkseid's intentions for Earth, we only think he has no intentions for it. But in many continuities it grows to be a central part of his plans, even in Young Justice. Even if we go with an interpretation where he hasn't been colluding with Savage for centuries, Earth has still been brought to his attention in both Paragon and Renegade timelines. But I think there is more going on with him than Renegade realizes. I expect he has intentions that Renegade doesn't even suspect. After all he is basically uplifting the Earth, which is something Darkseid wants for his future armies once he gains the ALE.

What was Renegade's humiliation campaign? I don't remember that.

As for the explanation for the weak uplift, I don't find that a good answer. It is no different than Superman holding back his Kryptonian data. He doesn't need to do anything himself, but he doesn't seem to be doing that much to encourage people to do more. Not like Renegade is. Renegade is creating networks who do it. He has been fostering political will for change and advising political leaders. But Paragon seems to be very passive. I mean just compare the results of the Sheeda. Renegade timeline is pretty much secure. A free Britain and many dictators were overthrown in the third world. Not to mention his American influence. But in Paragon most of SA and Africa are basically defunct. And the American government seems to mostly just be staying still. But Paragon apparently has enough time to save his pet Chocolate company.

As for the timeline I think there is definitely room for more story without adding any more out of context. There is still plenty from the politics of Earthly mythologies, the various lantern corps, and space politics without adding anything new.

Paragon is the Justice League's pet attack dog who makes them slightly more effective, but he isn't uplifting the world like the Paul-ternates are doing.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He paid for a bunch of smear campaigns that brought the ones who allowed Count Vertigo to walk out via diplomatic immunity to the public's attention, destroying their careers, and possibly their entire lives. Some were so ostracized by others that they committed suicide. The rest of the Team weren't exactly okay with that, and neither was Wonder Woman.

Darko, Cuchulin and Fellow like this.
  25. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

The Light wants human superiority in space. Technically speaking, the Sheeda winning is that.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Radix

I mean it was a decision that was pretty bad. They allowed someone guilty of mass murder and terrorism to walk free. I don't think there is anything wrong with exposing them for doing that. The consequences of that is on them. It isn't like he harassed them into doing or even attempted to try and get them to commit suicide.

gustyeagle and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

The problem is that it makes fuck-all sense. That plotline requires actively turning off any portion of your brain that understands how government actually works.

The YJ version of diplomatic immunity was just pants-on-head stupid that could maybe be turned into something that kind of makes sense if you squint and just fiat a bunch of shit in the background that isn't in the story, but at least isn't said not to be the truth.

The WTR version turns the stupid up to 11.

I'm not really a fan of "this legal thing that was dumbed down in the comics so ten-year-olds could understand it is dumb" fanfic nitpicks, since... sure? it's like nitpicking a courtroom/hospital drama for not getting the legal/medical details right. This plot point basically looked at the dumbed-down version and said "Hold my beer, we can make it even stupider."

It's better to just let this plot point die unremembered.

gustyeagle and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Flightless Man

Ok good one darkside was really weird for me.

Yeah he has shown interest in both worlds. It will probably be kind of like a reverse of sheeda. One will do army invading earth, one will invade apokalypse. The whole does DArkside consider him a son or not thing. Renegade hasn't failed so until he does and brings shame to the name he is.

Yeah i was worried but after a few weeks of everyone helping my memory basically double the plots i remembered, are still in play. Like i said i can easily see 3 years of paragon story without resorting to "filler". I was wrong everyone proved it and i couldn't be happier. Oh and good catch on divine politics. its also a thread in play i forgot.

Xmaster3000 and moralrelativity like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Again, no, the Earth would most likely lose against the GLC.

The reason Vega happened was because there was someone with the power of an entire Corps that wanted that place.

If Earth really became like the Reach then Paul would try to stop them, since he basically considers the Reach to be a horrible civilization, so Earth would lose an extremely powerful Lantern.

He wants Earth to prosper, but he's not going to help its people get out of something like that without paying for it.

Ans even if they establish an interstellar presence, how would that stop the GLC from fighting them?

It really wouldn't, and the Lanterns can either just destroy the ships and leave the people stranded, or gather them up using their rings and bringing them back to Earth.

Both of these are things the GLC is capable of doing.

The uplift explanation may not be something you like, but it is the truth.

Paragon wants other people to help the uplift so they don't depend on him for everything.

He already started a revolution аnd other people have been taking initiative to help the uplift.

Paul is also not the Leagues attack dog.

He's a very close ally of theirs who works for them because he views their function to the planet as important, you know they're basically the ones hat make sure the planet stays intact from things like supervillains, so he wants them to be more effective since if they aren't the planet would suffer for it.

He's also developed emotional attachments to several League members, like Diana and Alan, and he's very much interested in keeping those bonds.

He doesn't follow their orders blindly and does disobey them if he thinks what they are doing is wrong.

He follows their orders because he thinks they are logical, so disobeying them when they're logical is just pointless.

This whole diplomatic immunity thing from YJ received some pretty good explanations in Life Ore Death and A Subtle Knife.

The explanation, mind control.

Basically in LOD there are laws in place that prevent people who have been mind controlled from being punished for anything they have done during their time under control.

World leaders made laws like these so they wouldn't be punished if they were mind controlled, and it makes sense that people would make laws like these in a universe where mind control is a thing.

Vertigo used these laws to be let go.

In A Subtle Knife I think he actually had Ivy use some of her pheromones on him so they would release him after they found them.

As for why they mentioned the diplomatic immunity thing, well news media does tend to try and dramatise some things for a good story, even if it isn't the truth.

And him telling Wally he was let go because of immunity could be a way to mock him because he's protecting the laws that allow men like Vertigo to walk free.

It would be similar to when Dr Doom mocked Superman for his inability to arrest him in his own country because he tries to uphold the law.

Both of these are logical explanations for why Vertigo was let go and don't portray the judges as idiots.

Then again seeing as the show was inspired by comics it may be possible, and it wouldn't be the stupidest thing that has happened.

Hell the Light could have also arranged for him to be released, either by threatening, blackmailing or mind controlling the judges.

It's something they would do.

Though world governments have let go of people that are much, much worse than Vertigo before in the past.

30. Threadmarks: Kaising the Joint (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

6 246 937.M41

I set the Shark Assault Boat down on an open field on -ironically- the Imperial agri-world of Gravalax, then open the hangar doors before releasing it from my grip. It's on the border between Imperial space and Tau space, and a mere six years ago might have undergone a change in overseer but for the efforts of the local genestealer cult. There are still… Some.. 'xenoists' amongst the local population, but after the tau trade mission pulled out there was a bit of a good old Imperial purge.

There's a rumble a moment later, and a convoy of Imperial civilian vehicles drive down the embarkation ramps. At my suggestion Fio'o Dy'aketh Shi'ra agreed to release a few police stations' worth of Imperial agitators along with the people who took part in the raid on the cultist temple, more to get them off the planet than anything else. They don't know anything significant about tau operations and now they can agitate somewhere else.

Cain and Jurgen are holding back, making sure that everyone is able to evacuate safely. Or as I'm sure Cain will one day note in his memoirs, allowing them to draw any incoming fire. I fly into the interior of the dropship and land close by.

"I thought that Gravalax would have a certain ironic appeal. And you can be certain of a friendly welcome."

"How did we get here?"

"I carried the Shark."

"Yes, I.. saw that. But even under favourable conditions, the journey to Gravalax should have taken weeks."

I know the source of his unease. The main weakness of the tau fleet is their crap FTL. Small vessels can't use warp travel at all, and are stuck being towed by larger vessels. Larger vessels have ether drives rather than the more common warp drives which the Imperial Navy use, and as such are far slower than their counterparts. Far safer, particularly given that the tau haven't been able to reverse engineer Geller fields and don't have navigators or astropaths, but strategically tau fleets move at a crawl.

Demiurg have true warp travel, but even if the Brotherhoods were willing to let their Ancestor Lords work on tau ships it's not clear if their spirit ancestors would be willing to guide other species through the warp. Nicassar ships use even slower FTL than the tau do. Heck, the main reason they're part of the Tau Empire is so they can get lifts from tau ships with the spare towing capacity.

My being able to get us here this quickly is a big deal, and even a career infantryman like Commissar Cain knows it.

"Oh, don't worry. The tau are still stuck warp diving. But I'm not. My archeotech includes the capacity for non-warp faster than light travel."

He looks unconvinced.

"That.. sounds unlikely."

"The alternatives are that the tau have super-fast warp travel but have been choosing not to use it until now, or there's a Webway portal here." I shrug. "Feel free to take a look, but you won't find one."

"And who else possesses this capacity?"

"The necrontyr inertialess drive can do something similar. And whoever made my system-" Which I'm not referring to as a ring, because that tells them what to aim at. "-probably still has the capacity."

Let's see. I have a picture of Amberley Vale's face from recordings taken during the Gravalax Incident. If I-.

"I was surprised to see the Cathedral still standing." Cain's regarding me curiously. "I would have thought that it would be the first place the tau destroyed in the name of the Greater Good."

"That's not how the Greater Good works. The tau don’t really… Understand human religiosity, but they know that doing anything that direct would kick off an uprising. So instead they're getting priests in who can… Moderate their message a little." I shake my head. "I just about convinced them that resurrecting pre-Imperium religions wasn't the way to go, though I suspect that some bright Por is going to try it somewhere."

"You have records on pre-Imperium human culture? How?"

"Commissar, I was born in nine hundred and eighty three, M two." His eyebrows go up slightly, and his expression is somewhat sceptical. "I don’t have records, I just remember them."

I generate a construct syringe and transmute a vacutainer, then stick it into my left arm to draw a sample of my blood. Then I close the wound, dismiss the syringe and hand him the vial.

"I'm probably genetically different to humans in this era to an appreciable degree. I'm sure you can find someone who can investigate."

He takes it with a mild frown and slides it into one of his coat's pockets.

"The… Statue."

"I'm sorry?"

"The statue, outside of the cathedral. It was new."

"Well, yes. Saint Arballast was most famous for burning thousands of unarmed alien prisoners to death. That wouldn't really work for a cathedral on a tau-held world, would it?"

"I suppose not. But I don't remember hearing of a saint called 'Malcador'. Did the tau invent him?"

"You don’t know-? Really? You haven't heard of Malcador the Sigillite?"

"I can't say that I have. The Imperium has a great many saints."

"Yes, I know that, but… During the Great Crusade, once the Primarchs were rediscovered and the early Imperium more or less up and running, the Emperor decided to take a step back to focus on the next stage of his plan. He made Horus Warmaster and put him in overall command of the Crusade's military. Malcador the Sigillite was the man he put in charge of the Imperium's civilian government, having been the Emperor's chief aide since the Unification Wars at least."

"He died just after the Siege of Terra. Traitor legionaries everywhere but, perhaps surprisingly, not that many daemons. Emperor had to stay plugged into the Golden Throne in order to hold them back, but as long as he did any daemon that wanted to take part had to fly in with the traitor legions by ship. Then Horus drops his shields and the Emperor knows that he has to go after him personally. But he can't leave without Earth being overrun by daemons. So, Malcador steps forward and offers to take over while the Emperor goes after Horus. I'm sure you remember the next bit."

He nods slowly.

"Malcador lived just long enough to see Rogal Dorn bring the Emperor's dying body back to the throne room, then turned to ash because mortal men just can't take that sort of psychic pressure. For me, he embodies selfless service to the greater good. Small 'G' greater good."

"I see. It's… Surprising that such a pivotal figure in Imperial history isn't better known."

"He got a tank named after him. It's popular with the Kriegers. Bigger than a Leman Russ, smaller than a Baneblade. But yes, it is." I shake my head. "It's amazing what Imperial agencies delete from the historical record."

I shrug and take a step back.

"Well, you're free to go. Thank you for your help with the cult. Ah, and if you hear anything about any other chaos cults, do let someone know. The tau… Aren't good at finding chaos cults, and… I'm sure that the Imperium would prefer to have untainted worlds to reconquer."

"That's true, but I don't think we have the same definition of 'untainted'."

"Probably not." I shrug. "Good day, Commissar."

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020