1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Or retire to the Moon.

A Vertigo series revealed that the Moon is Alien Soul Florida.

Why exactly the Moon is so popular that alien souls migrate there to play canasta and gripe about the grandkids was sadly not mentioned.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

What series is this?

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

They settle the deal over a game of poker. Using the souls in question as cards naturally.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they'd use the souls as chips, while using gravestones as cards.

5. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm being inspired by Stranger In A Strange Land in this line of thought, but maybe dead Martians, at least the magic-users, have worked out their own version of New God ascension and become spiritual entities or divinities in their own right. After all, lots of gods in real-life history have been deified former humans (possibly even the case in-universe sometimes; canon season 3 Nabu might qualify). Maybe we'll meet H'ronmeer who'll be the first modern Martian to have died.

Natasa asking about the differences between ancient and modern Martians, presumably to refine her searching efforts, raises the worrying possibility of resurrecting or calling the spirits of deceased Burning Martians, which hopefully can be avoided.

Besides the Sorcerer-Priests of canon Young Justice, has Mars ever had magic-users or traditions in other DC comics and adaptations? I think I read that the New 52 J'onn was created by Martian blood magic from a bunch of regular Martians, but I'm not sure.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The n52 had some blood magic, yeah.

J'onn's brother used it to empower him by killing other Martians.

The issue in which Karmang appeared in he was described as a former scientist that went crazy and became a magician.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  7. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Is going crazy a side-effect of switching classes late in the campaign or just an artifact of being a scientist in DC?

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Given what we've seen of DC scientists and how they turn out, the second idea may have some merit.

9. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I have done it seven times, but as the fic gets longer the act of doing it again becomes more daunting. I read it five times from start to end when the fic was in SB (the end was different every time), then two more when it was in SV, I haven't done it since the move to QQ probably because I am not following the fic only thread in here thus have not been tempted to start over on page one. Also I am not reading as much anymore, not enough time to read new things and re read old ones, I have a backlog of fics that I am "following" and yet not reading.

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, the Martian death rate actually dropped after the first batch of disciples took control of the early cavern-settlements. Before that the Martians were having to learn everything by trial and error.
    [​IMG]

11. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Broke ass college student with limited venues of entertainment, then broke ass college graduate. Then I took an opportunity to join a minor branch of security forces for the government (IT position and nepotism helped me secure the job) and here I am.

It's far less impressive than you think the first re reads happened when the fic was probably at less that forty percent its current size.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  12. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I've read through the series in it's entirety two or three times, took me a few weeks each time since I couldn't remain focused on it constantly like I was when I first read through everything.

Fellow, NightmareWarden and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Laundromat2.0

Laundromat2.0 Getting sticky.

LMAO as far as Martian society is concerned Paul is just there to show up every few year and flip over every preconceived belief they hold precious. NOT ONLY is the basis of their entire social hierarchy flawed, not only is the surface habitable now, but also Martian-Jesus never died.

I'd be afraid to read his mind next time he comes, just in case there's something else.

anirocks, WhiteNoise, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  14. DrThoth

I've probably asked this a couple of times already, but my memory is terrible, sorry. Does Renegade have plans to kill construct-Nabu? I assume he still has ethical concerns about that, even if he went back to assimilation with the resurrected Klarion. There's risk of a potential backlash from Order, I suppose, but given how many Lords of Chaos they've been dispatching I imagine he feels like he could handle it.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember him not liking the fact that he may have been causing him to suffer.

I think it was after Darkseid came to visit.

But that's all I remember.

16. DrThoth

He was actually feeling bad about it far earlier, when he was asking Nabu for information to prepare to ambush/assassinate Klarion. Notably, this was back when he was generally willing to assimilate anyone and didn't have qualms about Bane and Sportsmaster. After the whole encounter with Darkseid and his change of heart, he got rid of Bane and Sportsmaster. Now he does still have the leaders of the Light as constructs because they're useful or potentially useful sources of information, and Nabu is certainly a very useful construct to have, but I do think that morally he might feel differently about him (And he makes the Light constructs sit still and write memoirs rather than actively commanding them in the world). Certainly I think Mister Zatara would have expressed more moral concerns and reservation than he's had so far (though the Justice League of Young Justice not being the best in terms of moral probity would hardly be egregious, so I can roll with it).

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, the fact the Zatara has so far shown no discomfort in using an enslaved being does feel kinda weird.

DrThoth likes this.
  18. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Not as weird as seeing paragon's version of Zatara react to waking up with the helmet with mild upset and surprise at being freed from normal Nabu. Or nobody noticing the enslaved g-elves as enslaved. Point is characters don't seem to really care about that here. Not without having it pointed out at least.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zatara got used to Nabu controlling him and may have even thought it was a good thing since as he mentioned, Nabu managed to do more good than he ever did.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Laundromat2.0

Laundromat2.0 Getting sticky.

I also thought his reaction was very weird, but now that I'm thinking it through, I think it should be some form of Stockholm Syndrome. I mean, if you can learn to become emotionally dependant on your kidnapper, I can't even imagine what would happen to someone who had their body controlled for months. The human mind doesn't always have the most... rational response to being in the power of one's captors.

21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Except it isn't exactly irrational. It would be irrational to choose to endure trauma with no expectation that it will ever end. It is, at some level, quite rational to adapt to the circumstances so that the day-to-day experience becomes less traumatic. That your conclusions at that time aren't consistent with the conclusions of the counterfactual version of you that wasn't experiencing the trauma is... little more than a philosophical consideration.

22. Mr Zoat

Renegade-Zatanna isn't appalled by construct-Nabu because... How it works now is now everyone assumed that it already worked.

23. DrThoth

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. I haven't reread the original segment where Renegade assimilates Nabu but I think Zatara seemed well aware what he was signing up for, and he knows that's different from his current scenario. And Wonder Woman and Red Tornado should probably know the difference as well.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think the fact that Nabu seems to be in pain due to his speech would indicate that all is not well.

Also the fact renegade is known as having mind control methods and the Orange symbol is now on the Helm would also indicate that he's probably not like he was before.

Granted the YJ League and Team has made some pretty dumb assumptions before, but even this seems like too much.

Ardy, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  25. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

dun dun duuuuunnnnnnnn....

26. Mr Zoat

Yes, he'd known that for a month or two. For the rest of his career he'd thought that the Helm aided the wearer.

Sharing information is something the League wasn't very good at.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Still the fact that he doesn't seem bothered to be using an enslaved being, even though now he knows his previous assumptions about said being were wrong, seems weird.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  28. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Should "then" be "them"?

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He doesn't think of him as being a slave. He thinks of him as a valued advisor who's doing good work that he wants to do.

30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I hope you appreciate I had to look it up.

The Witching, 2004.

One of the stars of the comic, Elsa Grimston, is in fact a lunar spirit spiritnapped by her father's sex magic ritual and born as his human daughter, and wants nothing more than to just go back home.

The series starts with her flying to the Moon in her father's magic spaceship only to find Lucifer Morningstar waiting for her. "Sorry, love, you've got some unfinished business back on Earth. Tidy it up and I'll leave you to enjoy your lunar home."

Darko, Fellow and Cuchulin like this.