1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I suppose he could simply offer both countries an equally large amount of money to give up all claim to the area, as long as the other agrees to the same... Or if they don't want money, supplies of some kind... :rolleyes: Of course, knowing humans, each would try to screw the other over by refusing...

Cuchulin, Ardy and Darko like this.
  2. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

They both have no claim to that land. They both insist that to be the case and accepting payment in return for something that you don't own is fraud.

Incidentally this is one of the funniest things in the world of policy and I am very happy that it was brought to my attention.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he was just joking.

4. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

*Insert Nasuverse Maxim Here*

AngelicKnight. likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]

6. openbookworm

openbookworm Know what you're doing yet?

What is the name of this series? The description has made me curious.
    Also, it feels Paul should have at least contacted the heads of the neighboring countries to inform them that there would be an influx of hundreds of Martian tourists.

Doc Sithicus and DrThoth like this.
  7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Braniac the first? Kill him permanently?

That's gonna be hard.

8. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm assuming he did offscreen. I believe one of the countries is Kahndaq after all.

9. Mr Zoat

If ring-enhanced me can't remember it, regular me certainly can't.

And in answer to the earlier posted who thought there was an exception for places in would be suicide to attack, no. There wasn't.
    That's basically Adom and no one, as the Sheeda killed their governments.

Edit: Maybe Alexis Carew?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  10. DrThoth

I don't know much about any Brainiac that's not the DCAU version, but I'd assume he'd also have contingencies like uploads of his consciousness hidden around the galaxy or something, so it does seem like a very long-term kind of endeavor to truly eradicate him.

I wonder if Kahndaq will expand its territory (I know Adom isn't expansionist, but it might honestly be the best thing for humanitarian purposes, and I imagine the UN is under a lot of strain). I really enjoyed the alt-history worldbuilding of Mandated, so it would be interesting to see a similar radical departure from real-life geopolitical structures in the wake of the Sheeda on Earth-16.

Does the world generally know who exactly the Sheeda are? Because that's sure to be depressing to think about.

Cuchulin, TopHatWearer, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The governments may have been informed by the captured Sheeda or the League, but I don't know if the population has been.

Finding out that the ones that attacked are kinda your descendants and what becomes of humanity may cause a lot of chaos so that information may be kept under wraps and the Sheeda may be thought of as just time travelling aliens.

12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Something like that. On the other hand, some have argued that the ocean is a desert with its life underground and a perfect disguise above, so YMMV.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  13. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

[​IMG]

14. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Oh come now, universe where Love At First Sniff Sight is a thing (regardless of age, gender or orientation) + Violet ring? This shit writes itself. As long as you don't take it seriously it would probably come out better that 99% of Twilight fanfiction (or book and movies for the matter).

15. DrThoth

They may not even publicize the time-travelling part then.

I imagine there's always been a degree of very literal xenophobia in the setting, but the Sheeda are the most expansive example and might foster a lot of prejudice and bigotry that the Martians may have to contend with. I'd imagine it would also affect how things with the Reach go in a few years (if that's still happening; I think I've said it before but if anyone important actually takes the Reach seriously in 4 years then Paragon's mission to 'him' the universe really isn't going so well; people should be more cautious, strategic and proactive).

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  16. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Anti-Tobacco but pro-amphetamine.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  17. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Fun fact: this is a mostly-incorrect description. Barter doesn't "re-emerge" because it never emerged before. It is generally believed by historians of economics that barter becomes prevalent solely when a population is used to money and for one reason or another can't/won't use it. Generally either because the minting government has collapsed or because business is being conducted under the table. No evidence of barter economies in pre-coinage societies has ever been discovered.

18. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

With the collapse of international trade (Which I imagine was the result of isolated and vulnerable ship crews picked off and their cargo vessels sunk?), this is a prime time to push for advanced power generation and electric powered vehicles. While it might be bitch to pull off, the world will see how vulnerable it is to supply distruption.

One of their first opening moves would be moving away from such a system such that it doesn't cripple them again in the future.

19. Mr Zoat

So how did they trade for stuff?

20. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Tribal communal assets that belong to the whole community or they just took it from other communities without giving anything in exchange.

21. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

And then after that they would develop currency. Likely using grains until they discover precious metals/stones, but I am no expert.

I also remember reading about the Irish banking crisis back in the 70s, and how people just started using their own currencies that were guaranteed by local pubs because they knew each other and basically develop a new temporary currency. A currency is basically a credit system of sorts after all.

And modern currencies are based on the output of the country guaranteeing it, so I wouldn't see people abandoning it, especially with the crisis over. A bartering system makes no sense. How do you determine what is equivalent? You need some sort of scale, and at that point you might as well use the scale.

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I doubt Brainiac will ever show up given he's an auto-win against any tech based hero.

Which Paul is.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Can Brainiac just no-sell the rings? Cause I don't remember that ever happening when fighting Lanterns before.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Coluan version of Brainiac is a Technopath with everything that entails.

So short of Zoat massively nerfing him, a fight between Brainiac and Paul would basically just involve Brainiac saying "no" and Paul's everything no longer working.

25. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Is it possible to manipulate the light spectrum without technological assistance?

Xmaster3000 and Gilhelmi like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

A couple Metahumans have powers that touch on the spectrum but they don't really approach the strength or versatility of a Power Ring.

27. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Very much so.

That's the thing about the emotional electromagnetic spectrum, the energy is responsive to thought.

The rings are only containers so that the lanterns can make the energy do what it does naturally.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yes, Atrocitus used magic to make red rings.

29. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

That's weird. Since when do countries try to foist land off on eachother like that?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  30. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

What, so every society went right from communal property to cash and nobody ever just went "Hey, trade ya some of my eggs for some of your veggies" in all of human history?

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.