1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

When the ask -> When they ask

2. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Well, that was surprisingly anticlimactic. Any bets on the ring corrupting Rogue back into villainy?

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

This version isn't a soldier. He's Stark Enterprises Head of Security. If he's out fighting wars then he's not doing his job.
    Thank you, corrected.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

A bit of an error.

The Iron Man armor in the 90s cartoon series made heavy use of forcefields.

nick012000, mauke, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.
  5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

As such, probably not.

But the Mandarin has a psychic connection to the rings, and has been known to psychically influence those who wear them.

So she might get controlled.

6. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

still a good i dea to have it reverse engineered. whoever originally built it might have put in security features.

7. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Presumably Mr. Stark.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He still wears a suit of power armour with a bunch of weapons on it, so the name still fits.

And he is helping Tony by fighting in battles against supervillains in a war of good versus evil, so he technically is fighting a war.

As Abridged Kirei Kotomine once said:

"The definition of war is loose. "

9. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

This is still a version of Paul right?
    Because I thought one of the things he and Truggs agreed on, it is better to study and hopefully reproduce any archaeotech instead of just using them as some superheroing prop, because being able to know how they work and build more is better than some one-off maguffin.

Why not try to work out an arrangement inviting Stark study the ring (possibly at the mansion when Rouge isn't using it), in exchange for sharing what he finds out? Because if I was in comic land, and this was for someone I was interested in, I'd be worried about trope enforcement. This is the Mandarins ring after all. If this was a RPG, he would have have bought it as signature equipment, and would be getting it back sooner or later. Which means Rouge would be losing it. I don't think OL has been there long enough to know if the comic weirdness has enforcement or not.

But even without that, a tactile skin tight forcefield sounds like something you want everyone on your side to have. Even if a version you can manufacture isn't near as strong as the ring, several of these people wear spandex and bare skin. And if you can add an air supply, you have an unobtrusive barrier against poison, disease, and other chemical nastiness for in and out of costume. Even Stark would find it useful for the lightweight or stealth carry versions of his armor.

Why stop trying to do something that will help everyone once you find out what the ring is. It is still a singular maguffin, with all the problems those types of things have. Which is why many of the Pauls were busy looking for potential Plan B's when they first arrived, in case something happened to the Orange Ring Mcguffin. So if something happened to it, he wouldn't be stuck as a powerless civilian on some comic Death World.

And frankly, Marvel seems worse to me than DC.

10. Greydragon

Greydragon Making the rounds.

Or hilariously, take out Mandarin for good through the connection if it counts as close enough for direct touch. As a bonus, she gets a full set of rings if she can pinpoint them using the same psychic connection.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Wow, that junior manager back in Paragon's timeline must be giving one hell of a lecture... Meanwhile, we get to see some amusing interactions between supers and normal people...

Gambit, no. This is not the kind of place you want to pull your normal big-willy shit. That's the perfect way to get you stomped by at least Iron Man, possibly War Machine and maybe the rest of Force Works if they're in town...

Being awful cavalier about the Mandarin's Ring, isn't he? Then again, if he isn't using it as backup, he clearly doesn't know what it does, and hasn't tried to find out...

Then pass the buck, man. Call your boss, have him call his boss until someone calls Iron Man...

'Fine, whatever gets them gone. No skin off my ass.'

Which makes me wonder how well Paul here (Xaul? I'll go with Xaul...) How well Xaul here would fare against Iron Man, and what version of the armour he'd be facing. If I remember the series right, Tony was using a Modular System suit with upgradable systems using support packs... (How toyetic can you get?)

This was a spur of the moment thing, you Cajun dork. Besides, you expect Tony Stark to take the call of every Tom, Dick or Harry that phones in?

:confused: ...Well, that can't be good... Oh hell, are we going to have a 'Let's you and Him fight' moment?

I see Xaul had the same very genre-savvy realisation...

Says the guy that was suspiciously reaching into his coat just a moment ago...

Cue up the AC/DC, boys. Jim Rhodes in the house!

You do realise they have security cameras, right? And that Tony is probably watching them as you speak?
    "Merde."

Well, at least he isn't deploying the shoulder weapons? I mean, other than the Repulsor and Unibeam weapons, he's not got much that'd break a Lantern's shields. Especially not an Orange Lantern feeling very threatened right now...

Who do you think he is, Captain America? :p

Spoils of combat.

:eek: You.. kept the finger... For how long? I mean, I know things don't age or deteriorate in subspace, but ew...

Which goes some way to establishing how strong he is combat-wise... Or at least giving Rhodey a high threat estimate...

I mean, surely holding your arms out like that is a little bit tiring, at least?

:rolleyes: Well, duh.

Besides a dope-slap for being an idiot?

Out of curiosity, is he in Civvies or his usual get-up? Because I doubt the pink breastplate is going to go over well. Just imagine Tony's jokes...

"Uh, well, if we're using made-up names..."

Ah, the joy of the Celebrity Paradox, when a cross-dimensional reference gets missed or twisted because the source doesn't exist here, or is very different... Because of course DC doesn't have comics in this universe. Or they print different stuff, like Cowboy stories, or Romance.
    Then again, Marvel heroes do have comics printed of them, like the Fantastic Four's official magazine... There was a brief batch of in-universe titles printed once, featuring things like the X-Men being a Suicide Squad ripoff working for 'Colonel America'.

...I don't think you're well-placed to do the carrying, mind. Unless you want a version of the 'Clench up, Legolas' moment from Avengers (2012). :p

Stop complaining, LeBeau. It could have been a big orange UFO Catcher arm... Or a giant floating clothes-peg attached to the hem of your coat...

Before everyone imagines Robert Downey Junior, this is the 90's cartoon Tony Stark. Think heroic action figure physique, Don Johnson dress sense, Pencil moustache and, in later episodes, a damn fine mullet.

The man has a point. Paragon OL would have Mandarin and his goons locked down the second he knew where they were, and that's after all of two year's training. ...Yes, and the whole 'merge with the Ophidian' thing...

Kind of dancing around the whole Mutant thing, huh? Guess you don't want to find out if Tony has a suspiciously irrational thing about Mutantkind?

Yes, While a certain someone noted that Tony Stark in the animated series was big on force-field tech, that might not be yet. This may be earlier in the series timeline and Tony simply hasn't started using them. Perhaps this gives him the bug to do so...

Hey, Xaul's got an excuse, what with the whole 'Specific canon erasure' thing all Alternates get. And how many general fans, without looking at a Wiki, could tell you the names or functions of the Mandarin's rings when put on the spot?

...Yeah, that's a well-deserved 'D'OH' moment. Although, it would basically give her powers comparable to his, if you think about it. Kinetic force projection, giving her a ranged attack option. The force-field allowing her to touch people safely. About the only time she'd not have it active would be any time she'd need to take it off, like bathing.

Yeah, I can see him thinking 'I was jealous of this boob?'

And while her wearing it might get her on the Mandarin's radar, she's also still super-strong, nigh-invulnerable and can fly. Probably not a danger to see her using it...

...Weren't you going to let Remy take the credit for it? Or was that something you didn't want to mention in front of the Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist Superhero? ;)

Well, problem solved, in more ways than one. And if Rogue starts wearing the ring, quite an upgrade to the X-Men's overall combat power. Or hey, as Bramble Thorn noted, let Stark study the ring and get force-field rigs for the whole team! Even if Xaul can heal them up, isn't it better to not have them getting hurt in the first place?
    Right, it's damn late down my way... Time for bed...

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This one may not care so much about uplift and advancing the planet like some of the other versions.

Or he does care, but he's only been in this universe for a month or two and is trying to control his powers before he does anything else.

Even paragon started small.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And that may be a good thing.

The last time a Paul tried to use something he didn't understand, it kinda turned him into a sociopath.

If Tony has defences that can prevent a ring from deactivating the suit, then I give it a 50/50 chance.

Hey, a shield can be used to bludgeon people.

He may be worried that this version is a bigot and have some of the tendencies of his Civil War self.

A person can be heroic, but still be a bit of a bigot.

Just ask Ultimate Steve Rogers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul, dude, offer to fix his spine.

Not only would it be, you know, moral, Tony would probably offer you a job uplifting the world, as you want to anyway!

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He'll probably do it in the future, but now he wants to give his future girlfriend something that can help her and is probably annoyed with himself for not figuring out what the ring did sooner and just letting it sit in subspace.

Also Tony may be reluctant to accept healing from a guy he doesn't know, and from a piece of tech he knows nothing about.

16. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Or, she drains Mandarin's personality, which becomes dominant.

17. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

that and he Xaul may not feel like he's ready for that level of healing

18. Mr Zoat

Ah, my Japanese is showing.
    Because while all of that is a good idea in the longer term, in the short term he's trying to solve the problem with Rogue and Mr. LeBeau. Once Rogue's tried the ring and got it working, he could suggest that.
    No. The aim was to enable Mr. LeBeau to touch her, not to give him credit for coming up with it.
    Orange Lanterns who aren't dedicated physicians can't just fix up anyone they meet. He'd have to get to know him at the very least.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Just like what happened to Robin's uncle Rick.

I wonder if when we get back to the Paragon that he'll find a way to completely destroy the worldview of the aliens he's talking to, just like what happened on Mars? It would be kinda funny if he did it again for people he doesn't even know that well, wouldn't it?

20. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm with the 'let Tony make personal shields' camp.

21. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Mwahahaha!

Now that I, the glorious Rogue, have access to skin tight shield protection... I will be able to lewd all the things!

Bow before your new mistress!

22. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

But could they if it's part of a trade?
    I give you a heal, you give me stuff. I want stuff, that's why I want to heal you.

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Bowchicka wow wow

24. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

So, chances of Rogue misconstruing whats happening because Paul doesn't make it clear when he pulls out the ring and offers it to her? 100 to 1?

25. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

So wait Paul is going to give her a ring and
    God damned hand and their god damned ninjas.

Now the fun part is if Remy realizes how this could go before or after Paul give her the ring.

26. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

So, straight up, historically anyone who puts on one of the Mandarin's Rings can be mind-controlled by the man. He is the sole master of those Rings.

I....think it came up on the Iron man cartoon. But its been a really long time since I've seen it.

Bramble Thorn and Doccer like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

As far as I remember, when he lost the rings he had to track them down manually.

28. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Actually they were part of Alien Spaceship and he could use them mostly because he had learned how, the Draconic Aliens could use them as could other people if they knew how, in the cartoon at least he ended up killing or at least knocking out a rich guy who bought it at auction because they guy wouldn't give it up willingly.

That what I remember as well, he may have had some connection to them that gave him some idea where they were as I don't it was really sad how he tracked them down again.

Chaospawn likes this.
  29. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' hot '

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  30. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

So the origins of the Mandarin rings have changed several times. Originally they served as the controls for an advanced alien ship. Here, they are vessels for ancient cosmic spirits. In their most recent incarnations, they were sentient and actively sought out users, as well as capable of communicating with one another. It’s never really known if they’re tech or magic for sure.

I'm trying to find the panels, as I've always liked the Mandarin's rings, despite not being much of an Iron man fan.

But yeah, it might have not been in the show, thus wouldn't be a thing in universe I guess.

Though I do know that, historically, if you had one of his rings, and he came calling, he'd just rip the ring clean off of you much like OL did to Truggs.

Granted, Rogue is much more durable....so who knows?

All I remember is that he tends to mind control/dominate the people around him with ease. With his....white light ring I think? Like this guy. Or that time He did it to his own son.

Granted, he was using his rings at the time. So I Dunno.

All I know is that, were I Paul, I would much rather have Stark come up with something than hand over one of Mandarin's rings to someone I care about. He'll come calling sooner or later even if he can't take over her through his ring.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021