1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wyvern - Worm AU fanfic

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Ack, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

As a wyvern, Taylor is about the same height, but she's gained a little mass; this has gone mainly into her wings and her tail. The tail is about 6' long and relatively thin, flattened a little vertically (for aerial steering, natch) and quite flexible. She's still small enough (just) that she was able to fit into the locker, and flexible enough that she was able to claw at the door with her hind leg.

Her wingspan is twenty feet, more or less (this is noted in the story, if I recall correctly); her upper arms, forearms and 'hands' are all about three feet long. These can fold up quite close to her body when they have to (folding at what used to be her wrists and elbows). When she's in a hurry, she scuttles along relatively low to the ground, using her tail to balance and her elbows to not fall forward. Moving more slowly, she struts more upright, holding her wings up and farther back.

The same fast-moving scuttle is also used for takeoff; spread the wings, flap a couple of times and she's airborne.

She's stronger than she is as a human (a human with a 20' wingspan would not be able to flap hard enough to get into the air). Her upper body has bulked out a little (flight muscles) while her lower body has thinned down.

When flying, she got herself up there, then glided and flapped by turns (it mentioned her doing just that).

Finally, she can breathe fire, and you're worried about the impossibility of her being able to fly? :p

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. Firedon

Firedon Experienced.

Well, I'm not worried about that, but the body clarifications are welcome nonetheless.

Snake/Eater and Ack like this.
  3. Datcord

Datcord Giggling menace

This is setting with a man who turns into lasers/can shoot lasers around corners, an ever-growing Rage Dragon, a woman who has the walkthrough to the world in her fedora'd head, a dude who heals people by yanking body parts out of their healthier doubles in another dimension, Tinkers (fucking Tinkers), a chick who makes evil clones, a super albino Nazi with a personal reset button, a nihilist ash-clone suicide bomber, and THIS is where your suspension of disbelief chokes?

Don't get me wrong, the math is nifty, but... dude. Context, here.

Yes. That. Flying is the LEAST of the bullshit available.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  4. HypoSoc

HypoSoc The mind is such a fragile plaything.

In TES, female dragons have six limbs. Being that males share the same species (manifestations of the natural order and dreamstuff), I would call the dragons as well.

Shadow5442 and ShadowStepper1300 like this.
  5. IchibanSamurai

IchibanSamurai Making the rounds.

Actually, fire breathing is pretty easy. All you have to do is get something with a methane sack, and an urge to eat rocks to make an improvised flint to create a spark, and bam. Fire. Surviving it...Well, with scales, and the right kind of hair (I'm neither a biologist, nor chemist, if you can't tell), it should be possible. Particularly hair/fur with a very oily, non-flammable compound covering it.

And the reason I was so up in arms over the whole flight thing, is that flying wasn't effortless, so it wasn't (likely) to be shard bullshit, so it was most likely to be wholly manual. I suppose stemming from the methane sac idea, if someone did have such an organ, it could be used to make oneself lighter, and presumably, her bones could be replaced hollow carbon tubes, (which would shrug off ~10% of her body weight, me thinks) which makes it more plausible. The problem was that I didn't know the
    Folding wings detail, or rather, I didn't realize how much they folded. It makes more sense, now.

ShadowStepper1300 and Ack like this.
  6. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

I suspect that the fire-breathing is shard bullshit.

Ack likes this.
  7. Asheram

Asheram Know what you're doing yet?

So, aren't anyone going to comment on how they believe Lung will take the fact that there's another dragon sub-species in town?

Ack and pepperjack like this.
  8. Datcord

Datcord Giggling menace

Personally, I assume he's going to find out it's a female dragon and rob every florist in town down to bare walls.

9. Ack

Extreme shard bullshit, especially considering the fact that she survived a close-range explosion caused by her own fire breath, that demolished three lockers and damaged two more, set the corridor on fire and damaged the floor and ceiling. :D

10. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

She should have set it more on fire.

11. pepperjack

It's not enough fire until the fire is on fire.

12. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Relevant:

13. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

With the amount of damage caused by her blast when she escaped from her locker, I was thinking her fire breath is more in line with a plasma bolt type thing that just fire breath. More physical presence then just fire.

pepperjack likes this.
  14. Chojomeka

Chojomeka Sexy and I know it

So Taylor's a Night Fury?

Cubbyhb1, Prince Chrom and Chase92 like this.
  15. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

No, because her teeth are always visible.

16. Asheram

And she's lacking forelegs.

17. Datcord

Datcord Giggling menace

And she's not being ridden. ...as long as this is in the SFW section, at least.

pepperjack likes this.
  18. pepperjack

I dunno, Panacea might appreciate the mobility if she ever decides to play combat medic.

"How about it, Amy, think you'd want to ride Taylor?"

Amy's mouth opens and closes like a fish.

"If you're nervous about riding her bareback, we could probably order a harness off the internet. You'd be cool with that, right Taylor?"

"Yeah, sure. A few leather straps would probably make me feel better, actually." She wouldn't want Amy to fall, after all.

Amy struggles to recover her voice. "Er - I'm not sure I'd want to risk it, without, um, more experience - " no wait, bad thoughts - "I-I mean, I'd at least want to be trained - " augh, that's worse!

"Aw, don't worry so much, sis! Look, I'll ride her first, okay? You can learn from watching me!

"...huh. What'd she run off for?"​

19. Asheram

This is an interesting new start, by the way. Getting a foot in with New Wave before even being approached by The Undersiders.

Ack likes this.
  20. Threadmarks: Part Three: Handling Matters
    Ack

Wyvern

Part Three: Handling Matters

But Taylor knows nothing about explosives,” Danny tried to explain, for the third time. “For that matter, I know nothing about explosives. She couldn't have made any kind of bomb.”

The police officer sitting on the other side of the interview table didn't seem to have heard him. “Our kids can surprise us, Mr Hebert,” he stated without any real kind of inflection. “Did you keep books on chemistry or the making of explosives in your house? Did you store chemicals of any sort?” He consulted a list, then handed it over to Danny. “Any of these?”

Danny took it, frowning. “No, we never had books on bomb making,” he replied. “Chemistry books, yeah. She does high school chemistry. As for these chemicals … I think we have drain cleaner, yeah. And detergent.” He put the list on the table. “But anyone could have these chemicals. Someone who knew how to make a bomb. Why are you picking on Taylor in this?”

Because the roll call post-evacuation indicated several students not present, one of whom is your daughter,” the police officer informed him. “And your daughter's locker is the one that was blown up.”

So one of the others -”

The others are, without exception, those with reasonable excuses to be out of school, or those with a regular habit of skipping classes. Your daughter is the only one with anything like a regular attendance record who should have been there, but wasn't.”

Well, maybe someone else blew her locker up,” Danny suggested. “Did you think of that?”

Her locker door was blown off of its hinges. We found it embedded in the opposite wall,” the officer stated flatly. “The explosion almost certainly originated within the locker. Does your daughter share her locker combination with anyone else?”

Emma, maybe?” Danny hazarded. “But she's Taylor's best friend. She wouldn't do something like this to her.”

The police officer made a note. “Last name of this Emma, sir?”

Uh, Emma Barnes,” Danny supplied. “Her father's name is Alan Barnes. But she wouldn't have done this. Taylor's known her since grade school.”

Is that with an S or an E-S?” asked the officer.

B-A-R-N-E-S,” Danny supplied. “Maybe I should ring Alan and ask him if Emma even saw Taylor show up to school today.”

Leave us to make the enquiries, sir,” the officer reproved him gently. “Now, do you know if your daughter had any problems with anyone else at school? A teacher, perhaps, or another student?”

I have no idea.” Danny shrugged helplessly. “She never talks about school. We barely talk at all.”

Perhaps her mother might know more, sir?” suggested the officer.

Danny shook his head, feeling the old pain. “Her mother is dead. She died in a car accident about two and a half years ago.”

My condolences, sir,” the officer told him automatically. “Has your daughter's behaviour changed recently? Has she exhibited odd habits?”

I don't know,” Danny told him, feeling shame that he had to confess this. “We really haven't been close, recently.”

<><>​

The sides and top have been peeled back from the force of the explosion; the lockers on either side have suffered catastrophic damage. There appear to be the remains of toxic waste within the locker, and spread on the floor around it.”

Explosives expert James Doherty ceased narrating into the recorder, and leaned down to gingerly pick up a small blackened item between gloved thumb and forefinger. He dropped it into an evidence bag; despite the filter mask, his nose wrinkled from the smell.

What is it?” asked his assistant, closing the bag carefully.

Best guess, a used tampon,” Doherty replied. “A bit charred, but still mostly there. There were a lot more of them, I would guess, as well as other similar items, but the explosion destroyed most of them.”

That would seem to defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?” asked his assistant, whose name Doherty had never bothered to remember; a bright lad, he nevertheless still had a lot to learn about the business.

That's presuming that the purpose of the explosion was to spread the waste,” Doherty agreed. “But it wasn't.”

It wasn't?”

That's what I said,” Doherty stated. “The explosion took place about … here.” He leaned in, putting his gloved fingertip at about chest level, just inside where the locker door had once stood. “Whereas the toxic waste was all down in the bottom of the locker. If the purpose was to spread the crap around, it was about the worse possible location for it.”

So what was the purpose of the explosion?” asked his assistant. “Lockers don't just explode for no reason.”

And that's the right question,” Doherty agreed with a nod. “”What did the explosion do, above all else?”

Blew the locker to hell and gone?”

Doherty allowed himself a slight smile under the mask. “Specifically. What was the one real effect we have here?”

There was a moment of intense cogitation, then his assistant pointed at the door, which had been carefully pried out of the wall, to allow for closer examination. “Blew the door off.”

So let's go look at the door. Something's been bothering me, and I just realised what.”

They stood side by side, looking at the door. Doherty pointed. “That's where the explosion took place.” It was fairly obvious; the metal had been distorted, the paint scoured down to the metal. Annealing patterns threw back rainbow reflections.

Right where you said it would be,” his assistant agreed. “So what was bothering you, before?”

Doherty pointed, farther down. “What are those marks?”

Almost hidden, camouflaged by first being blasted off of the locker, then slamming into the wall opposite, several sets of parallel gouges could just barely be seen in the metal. “They look like … scratches.” The assistant paused, frowning. “Shrapnel?”

Doherty shook his head. “No. Shrapnel would have spread directly away from the epicentre. These are overlapping lines, each set parallel in itself, but each set is aligned in a different direction. And there are three in each set. What does that remind you of?”

I – I'm not sure -”

Think. Ignore the explosion. Ignore the rest of it. Where have you seen marks like that before?”

The assistant blinked. “Claw marks. There was an animal in the locker?”

They didn't find a body,” Doherty pointed out. “Human, animal, whatever. Whatever did that was low to the ground. Also … “ He crouched, and touched his gloved fingertips to one set of gouges. They had to spread, just a little, to each touch a separate groove. “Whatever made these wasn't any house cat.”

So what does this mean?”

Doherty stood, and dusted his hands off. “We wait for the lab results to come back regarding the samples and residues they took in. And if it turns out the way I think it will, we'll be off the case.”

The assistant tilted his head. “Why is that?”

Doherty felt a wry grin twisting his lips under the mask. “Because it'll be the PRT's problem, then. And good luck to them.”

<><>​

"Wait right here," commanded Glory Girl. "I'll be right back." She dashed into the kitchen. "Dad," I heard her say, "don't go anywhere. Especially not the living room, okay?"

"Why?" he asked.

"Clothing emergency. Just stay in here, all right?"

I heard a grunt that I assumed to mean assent, then she emerged once more, and dashed up the stairs. Moments later, she reappeared, bearing a huge fluffy pink bathrobe. I stared at it; it looked large enough to use as a hang-glider.

"What?" she asked, her cheeks going nearly as pink as the bathrobe. "I like it.'

"I wasn't going to say a word," I assured her, truthfully enough, and swapped cushion for bathrobe. It covered me; more to the point, it enveloped me. I was covered from neck to ankles in fluffy pink extravagance.

Glory Girl – or Vicky, as she insisted that I call her – took me upstairs and fitted me out in new clothes; or rather, some of the clothes that she was thinking of giving away. A pair of her skinny jeans – not so skinny on my lanky frame – went well with a t-shirt that showed just a little tiny bit of my belly, given that I had a few inches on the teen superhero.

“Well, you're dressed,” she declared with satisfaction as I put a borrowed headband in my hair. “And you're human again. How did you do that, anyway?”

“I'm not sure,” I confessed. “The sofa was so comfortable that I kind of lay down and drifted off. When your aunt cried out, I woke up and I was me.”

“Huh,” she mused; I got the impression that she was a little disappointed that she couldn't show off dragon-me to her sister Panacea, or 'Ames' as she referred to the healer. “Have you tried to change back?”

“Um, nope,” I told her. “Realising I was a dragon was scary enough the first time around.”

“Well, we know you can,” she insisted. “Go on, see if you can change back again.”

Frowning, I concentrated. There seemed to be something there, but I couldn't really reach it. “I guess I'm too comfortable,” I confessed. “I think I changed back to human when I started feeling comfortable and relaxed.”

“Oh,” she replied, and turned away. “I guess then – boo!”

I jumped a little as she threw up her hands at the same time as shouting the word, but nothing else happened.

“It's not exactly something that can happen with a fright,” I told her severely.

“Well, how did it happen, exactly?” she asked.

So I told her; arriving at Winslow, being taunted for being too tall, too skinny, too ugly. Every word striking at the core of my being, even as I tried to ignore them. Arriving at my locker, opening it, being shoved in, locked in. I choked then, and began to cry. Vicky held me, stroked my hair as I sat on her bed.

I was vaguely aware of someone arriving at the doorway to Vicky's room. Vicky's aunt Sarah, by the sound of her voice. She was asking, I thought, about what was going on. Vicky repeated to her what I had said, more or less, and then Sarah went away.

“Hey,” murmured Vicky. “Hey, hey. It's all right.” I felt a warmth enfolding me, a blanket made of pure love and affection. Belatedly, I realised that it was Glory Girl's aura, even as I felt myself calming down.

A tissue was offered to me, and I took it, blowing my nose loudly. “Sorry,” I mumbled. “I just … “ I trailed off. You weren't there; I can't even begin to expect you to understand.

“It's all good,” she insisted. “Trigger events are going to hit anyone hard.”

“Trigger what?” I asked, distracted despite myself.

“Trigger events,” she explained cheerfully. “One minute you're boppin' along, smelling the flowers, having a good day. Next thing, bam! Worst day of your life. And that's what causes trigger events. You obviously had one, right there.”

“ … oh.” I peered at her with my blurry eyesight. “Was your trigger event that bad, too?”

“Nope, thank God.” She shook her head with a chuckle, her blonde hair waving back and forth. “I'm second generation. Me and Ames were always going to trigger, and second gens got it really easy. I got fouled in a basketball game, about one second before I was gonna score. The ref didn't even see it. So I got up, grabbed the ball, flew over to their hoop, and jammed it through so hard that I ripped their hoop right off of the backboard. It was only afterward that I realised that I'd triggered.”

“Wow,” I murmured. “That must have surprised the heck out of them.”

“Annoyed the crap out of me, let me tell you,” Vicky confided. “If they'd let me keep that score, we would've won the game.”

I went to smile at the dryness of her tone, but I ended up biting my lip. “Why do people do this sort of thing?” I asked. “Why do they choose to hurt someone, just because they can?”

“I have no idea, Taylor,” Vicky told me solemnly. “But it's because people act that way that I go out and kick ass on a daily basis. If they think it's okay to treat people like that, then it has to be okay for me to treat them that way, right?”

Her tone was so bright, so upbeat, that I smiled involuntarily. “Sure, I guess,” I answered.

She shook her head; again, the golden hair bounced. “None of this 'I guess' bullshit, Taylor. You're a cape now too. You've got to understand the responsibility you've got here.”

“Yeah, great.” I rolled my eyes. “I'm a cape who doesn't know how to change into my powered form. Next up on the news: Taylor Hebert, the girl who turned into a dragon, then forgot how she did it.”

Abruptly, Vicky stood up from the bed. “I refuse to believe that,” she declared, pacing across the room. “I believe in you. I believe that when you think you have to change, then you will. I believe that you're going to change – now!”

And as she turned, shouted, pointed … a wave of dread swept across me.

Too late, I realised what she was doing. Her aura. She's using the aura on me.

Too late, I protested. “Wait -”

<><>​

I'm sorry, who did you say you were?”

Sarah Pelham,” she repeated patiently. “Lady Photon. Of New Wave. You do know who I am, right?”

I've heard of you, yes,” he admitted. “And you say you've got news of Taylor? Because I've just spent far too long at the police station, and they've got no idea where she is.”

I should say so,” she replied with relish. “She's upstairs with my niece Glory Girl right now.”

Is – is she all right? The police say that there was an explosion -”

I don't know anything about an explosion,” she replied, wondering what the heck that was about. “But Taylor is fine. A little confused, certainly, but she's not injured in any way.”

Why does New Wave have her?” he asked next. “Has she committed a crime?”

Not … exactly,” she replied. “Listen, I can take the phone up to her if you want. Vicky's just giving her something to wear.”

Yes, please.” A pause. “Uh … what happened to her clothes?”

I think I'll let her explain that one to you herself,” she prevaricated. “It's … complicated.”

Oh, god, was she attacked -”

No, she's perfectly fine. She was not attacked.” She climbed the stairs and started along the corridor. “She can tell you -”

The wave of dread and horror smashed through her, and she nearly dropped the phone. She had only been subjected to it once or twice before, by accident, but she knew exactly what had caused it. At the same time, she heard a reptilian screech, and the tearing of cloth.

Recovering from the aura, she got to the door of Vicky's room and looked inside. There, shaking itself free from the remnants of what had once been a pair of skinny jeans, was the human-sized dragon, resplendent in red-gold scales. Vicky was standing off to the side, her expression jubilant. “Hah!” she declared. “I knew that would -” Turning, she saw Sarah peering through the door. “Oh, hi, Aunt Sarah.” Her 'innocent of all charges' expression needed work.

The dragon turned too; one enormously elongated finger, now forming a wingtip, pointed directly at Vicky. Sarah didn't need any dragon-to-human dictionary to decipher the screech that Taylor gave then: “She did it.”

Sarah sighed and put the phone to her ear again. “Uh, maybe you'd better come over instead. And bring clothes.”

End of Part Three

Part Four

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  21. Asheram

Ayup. That one is related to Lungs shard, acting up when feeling threatened. *ponders* I do wonder if it will further empower her during combat as his does..

!Renzie0, Eryk, pa$$word and 5 others like this.
  22. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

Good chapter. Vicky's being Vicky again, all action and just enough thought to make a bigger mess. Nicely done!

!Renzie0, Shadow5442, Eryk and 8 others like this.
  23. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

...well.

Dammit Vicky.

The unfortunate thing is that Taylor's just gotten her powers today. Barely a few hours ago. That means in addition to turning into a dragon and breathing fire she might be able to do *other things.*

Well, at least it'll be a fun ride.

24. OverReactionGuy

Vicky is really naughty making Taylor strip in front of her like that.;)

25. Ack

Your mind went right there, didn't it? :p

26. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

I'll ship it.

27. OverReactionGuy

Yep. :D

Same.

28. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

And now we can go to Dunki' Donuts, thank God.

I am surprised by how small Taylor is . Usually, when I think of "dragon", it's "bust down the house" size, not "fit onto a couch" size. This size would make it more convenient to try and live like a human, though.

29. Chojomeka

Chojomeka Sexy and I know it

Look Victoria just because you know she can change forms doesn't mean you can forget about how clothes don't seem to change with her.:p Well unless OverReactionGuy's right and she just wanted to see Taylor naked again ;):D

30. Antaeus

Antaeus Making the rounds.

Her cape name should be Ramoth.

theunderbolt and edale like this.