1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm coincidentally in the middle of the game, enjoying it though I'm not especially good.

It's a bit of a parallel to Renegade having to regain his soul portions after being Anti-Lifed too.

Also, points to Gozzi for quick and creative thinking.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This feels weird.

It didn't take Paul all that long to go from Earth to Vega, I think it was just a day.

Granted that was probably the enlightenment helping things, but Lanterns who aren't enlightened have traveled to Earth in a small amount of time, it didn't take them years to get back.

3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Wait... is he going to become a soul eater now? Since those were mentioned earlier in the fic.

Cuchulin and TodaBruh like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't remember this being mentioned, but with the assimilation option the rings have, he kinda already is a soul eater.

Ardy, TodaBruh and JoTa34 like this.
  5. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The soul eaters were mentioned in the visit to Atlantis by... Tula I want to say?

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That was due to his soulless nature at the time.

Apparently they think those without souls want to eat the souls of others.

Dur'id the Druid, Ardy and JoTa34 like this.
  7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And the recovery begins... Or continues, as it seems. So that's why so many different Pauls have that time-stamp tic? Interesting...

Getting help from the most experienced user of the Orange Light, I see. I'm not surprised Hinon is looking into this personally. It must be fascinating on an intellectual level.

Again: Is it better to have lost and not remember what you've lost, or to have lost, and be aware of what's missing? In this case, I suspect OL prefers the latter, if only so he can endeavour to reclaim it.

But they will be, soon enough. We know you, OL. You're already working out how to fix this.

Geez, not even given medical leave while he recovers? Or is he insisting on maintaining the facade of healthiness?

Heh. No more special customs for you, OL. Perhaps when you can make one yourself...

I'll bet that when he does, it'll be like a Bugatti to the rest of the Corps' Mercedes... Imagine it: Processing and scanning capabilities out the wazoo, full magical support capabilities... Who know what he'd want by then?

Antiques, boy. You've been using the equivalent of a Commodore 64 and a 286 PC to access the Orange Light. Now you'll have the latest tablet... All the more reason to work towards making your own ring...

Certainly it worked well enough. But it was billions-of-years-old tech...

By the will of the Source, it came to you, OL...

Now, for anyone else, you'd expect a little ceremony, but these two waste no time...

So I was right, it's the basic model. A stock tablet, and probably lacking some of the lock-outs the regular Corpsmen get...

So she's loaded it up with a custom database tailored for him? On top of whatever specific extra functions he needs as Illustres.

And perhaps by then, he'll need it less. Surprised he's only getting one ring, though. Even if this model has better power storage performance, OL typically needs all the charge he can get, the things he pulls off sometimes.

Surprised he didn't think to try that first. Or maybe she wouldn't recognise him as is...

Worried about her going "Mine!" and not letting go this time? Do you think so little of her growth?

So she'll only bond with her agent, and no-one else? Loyal to a fault, i suppose.

Good to see he already has propriety unlocked from the start.

o_O Now what?

From the fastest thing in the Corps to below average... I'm sure they can spot you a personal warp-shuttle...

Yes... You'll want to get back to Earth sooner rather than later, I think. I imagine your friends are a little worried, if word was sent to the Lanterns on watch.

Beside himself with rage at the abuse of holy Qwa-matter, or in excitement at getting to see OL survive it? Or maybe both? And again, the way Qwa-matter is being described, it puts me in mind of the destructive energies from 'Crisis on Infinite Earths'...

So, the rest of the Corps is going to have to be a bit more careful around Reach ship, then. Because I doubt any of them could survive exposure at all...

Impressive initiative on her part. Most of the Corps would simpyl have mourned his loss and moved on...

Hardly, it seems. I'm sure she'll explain it in small words for you, child...

Ouch. And that part is probably a wreck. OL's going to have some cleaning up to do when he gets back in, I bet. Best Snek is a bit miffed at what he did to her place, I bet.

"We'll need an old priest and a young priest..." :D

So, OL isn't planning to take the slow way back to his previous level, I see. At least it isn't going to take him months in-universe (and years for us.) Let's hope the wizard is practised enough to get it right. And while some may complain, as long as it doesn't completely invalidate the hassle he's been through, we'll go with it... ;) Hey, at least now he can re-spec!

Two lines here. Not as planned, I suspect.

The Weaponer's beside himself.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Other Lanterns have arrived to Earth in a short amount of time, so it may not take him years.

coughVaerminacough.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Thank you, corrected.

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

At least he has his memories back. It would have sucked to read a story where Paul was an amnesiac for more than one episode.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Urgh, poor Paul. Must be awful to go from that much certainty to being diminished so much.

While fighting a war no less.

Cuchulin, ChestBurster and Darko like this.
  12. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What happened to Paul's soul? Because what came back seemed to not be that. At least when compared to the thing that went to Heaven and then escaped.

13. Mr Zoat

What he's got is the arcane equivalent of a concussion. After the initial period of total bewilderment he's now on the 'somewhat confused but recovering' stage.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It looks like a piece of it broke off and is now in the Honden somewhere.

15. cookiemontser

cookiemontser Getting out there.

I really hope this isn't a permanent nerf.

16. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Not necessarily. If Gozzi created an exact enough copy of his body, the physical component should be there. The metaphysical components should be with his soul. The tattoos MIGHT be offline right now, which doesn't matter much for his soul-generating tattoo, but is significant for his immune-to-scrying tattoo. That is a plot hook I'd like to see utilized.
    Technically he should have lost all detailed scans and access to subspaced stuff he was hoarding with the rings. His personal lantern might have survived, could go either way.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

We were over this before, and I am pretty sure Zoat himself even said no to that idea.

At least part of his soul was destroyed for sure.

And the Tattoo's need to be whole to work.

18. Mr Zoat

19. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

For sure, huh.

20. Tembu

Tembu Trying to read here

Nerfed arc part two starts again. Instead of making the reach OP just nerf your main character for plot progression. The more self inserts change the more they stay the same

Karmic Acumen likes this.
  21. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

This feels much less like a nerf arc and more like a "Hey, let's explore more what OL's metaphysical status is."

22. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Question 1: Does Jade know what happened?

Question 2: When does Jade gain the power to start blowing up Reach suns to make them pay?

Question 3: Jade-Paul babies when?

Question 4: Did Hades feel/sense Paul die?

23. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

So most of Paul is stuck in the Honden with the spirits of the Leentnair all sitting in a prayer circle singing kumbaya?

24. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Celestial Body

So Paul has been memeing on the rest of the Orange Corps with a substandard ring. I wish Zoat did Interlude chapters, because I'd love to see that do the gossip rounds.

Yet more evidence that the Ophidian is the real best girl.

25. Mr Zoat

Not at present.
    That's not really how Jade works. She might demand an orange ring and use it to go after the Reach commander who planned it, but she's not interested in widespread destruction.
    The current plan is 'some time after the war'.
    He might have felt something, but at this point it's like wanting a digital transmission and getting sculpture.

26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Has OhEl been split into two different beings, a multiverse wandering snake God and a human?

Doccer likes this.
  27. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Darko
    I think she means the Enlighten bit.
    I don't think an enlightenment really counts enough as a separate person. More of a personal modifier.

infinityDivided likes this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The sentence still felt weird when I read it.

Doccer likes this.
  29. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

As glad as I am that this looks like it’s going to be a quick fix I am somewhat confused as to what the point of it is, it just feels like an excuse to take up time

The only reason I can think of is to give OL an excuse to explore the metaphysical aspect of his abilities more than he usually would so that he’ll have a better grasp on them when he returns to normal

infinityDivided and Darko like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it's filler.

Orange Enlightenment 2.0.