1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh a racist and a snob.

A true Lovecraft.

Unless renegade recruits him.

He is a Paul and they seem hell bent on working with people that are best left dead.

In our world there are people who are interested in old cars, old movies, old music and even old ways of living, so the fact that some Atlanteans are interested in old magic isn't that surprising.

He may not be as academically gifted as Circe, but he's probably much, much more cunning.

Also he may be teaching them how to use magic for police work.

Circe may not know much about that.

Especially this young lady's ego.

2. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

Um, macadam has little to do with cookies.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:confused: ..I stand corrected. On the upside, that makes Sunset's defences even more impressive.

4. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

I believe the cookie is named after the road style, involving crushed nuts that look like the crushed stones.

5. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

I mean, tbf, I imagine most of those slip off like trying to grab a greased monkey :D

The Unaligned Player likes this.
  6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The cookie is named after the nuts. The nuts are named in honor of a Scottish scientist.

The road material is named after its inventor, who was also Scottish but not the same person.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat, how did Circe meet Ahri'ahn?

In this universe she's apparently three thousand years old, but Ahri'ahn may be over five thousand years old, based on Gamemnae, who knew Adom before he was imprisoned in his body, and tried to raise Atlantis from the waters, which he was present for when it sunk, so he was most likely born before she was.

Has he come out of whatever hibernation he was in before in the past and met Circe during one such time?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Prince Charon likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes.

Those are all of the details I have for you.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  9. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Also is this a Renegade only event (Ahri'ahn coming back) and if so why?
    Or is he also in the Paragon side, but because Paul wasn't connected to Doom (and Circe being part of the Light) noone found out he is back, and things are developing differently?

10. Mr Zoat

The SI doesn't know.

11. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

12th July 2012
    13:03 GMT -8

I dash out of the boom tube and into one of the insectoid enclosures-. Shiiiiiit die!

The humanoid lump of concrete and steel is blasted apart by my beam and what's left is smashed to powder by my construct hammer.

"Grayven to everyone."

Another lunges at me, concrete forelimb pulverising itself against my cuirass before my counterpunch sends its head flying into what's left of the containment chamber wall.

"The insectoids are out. Iname, evacuate Uncorp but do not let them touch you. Your safety-"

I raise my right arm and bring it down, smashing the still-upright elemental… Thing, to detritus.

"-is paramount."

Because that's what destroyed the world in Marvel Zombies. Pietro got infected, then infected millions all across the world in a matter of moments. The sensible thing would probably be to get her to pull out, but this is going to be a slaughter otherwise. Just have to risk it.

A second of pressure on my back, then two transparent scythes swing at my eyes! I raise my left arm to block, the-. The transparent aluminium grinds against my vambrace as the surprisingly strong whatever-this-is tries to force through its attack before being knocked off by a wrecking ball construct.

"Malefactors include elementals conjured from local materials. Sunset, if you can get here without exposing yourself to the insectoids, do so and unsummon this lot."

My immediate vicinity's clear and drones are heading in to find my targets.

"Sure. What's so dangerous about-?"

"Master, one of the people here has been bitten. What-?"

Whoever did this caused the concrete to form an ornate staircase down into the holding chambers down from the observation area. I go up at a jog. The insectoids would want to get out, but they're essentially animals navigating an unfamiliar environment. Not all of them will go far.

"If it's a small bite, cut off the body part. If that's not practical, knock them out."

"Will that stop it?"

"No, but it will stop them feeling it. There's no cure yet. Get bitten, you turn. Get cut, you turn. Their spit, their poison, everything-"

A tentacle-covered twelve legged insectoid drops on me from the wall! I catch it in both hands and my arms are swiftly enveloped in sucker-covered tentacles which secrete some sort of caustic substance.

"-about them is designed to infect-"

Which they can't do to my armour but can do to the tiny amounts of organic residue on my armour, a dull yellow foam appearing on my forelimbs.

"-and convert."

"I can kill them, Master."

Construct pneumatic rams begin slamming into where I think this creature's brain is. As far as we've been able to tell they don't feel fear, but there's still plenty of fear in this building alone.

"Nughgreehraughhhh!"

I twist, slamming it against the wall and then getting-. Spartan kicking it down the steps into the containment chamber. It hits the ground and rolls end over end until it hits the back wall. I.. need to fix this. I never thought I'd need to build a place to hold these creatures. The place I put the British cultists isn't big enough or resilient enough.

I fly backwards, pieces of rubble being altered and shoved into place to cover the hole. I transmute a little titanium and steel… That should do for now.

"Knockout, status."

"Car park! Found the wizard!"

I nod. Knockout's resilience is her one useful quality so I don't feel obliged to rush to her aid. Corralling the insectoids is my highest priority.

"The insectoid enclosure is repaired. Iname, if you're able, call for boom tubes and send the insectoids back."

"Yes, master!"

I head out through what used to be a series of secure corridors, now warped into some sort of promenade. A thick vault security door has been crushed like tinfoil, with the controls blasted apart-. From the inside, from the looks of it. Alright, that-.

Wiring leaps out of the walls and wraps around me, electricity arcing!

And doesn't do a thing to me, as my armour is pretty darn insulated, but that would have been a nasty trap for someone without my level of resilience. Construct wire cutters snip and cut through, but the wires are animated and twist around each other to keep the current flowing.

And then they fall dead.

"Sunset to Grayven. I've… Countered the spell, but that was… Really powerful. I don't know if I could stop it quickly if it got cast again."

I pull free of the last few wires, then fly at speed through the redesigned corridors.

"Just do your best. Any sign of Circe?"

"She's in the middle of something."

An insectoid millipede rears up and spits at me-

Boom tube.

BOOM.

-and a construct battering ram shoves it back into the portal aperture as the mutagenic gunk hits my cuirass. FACE ME!

Disintegrate it.

Done, Lantern Grayven. What a fascinating terror weapon they would make.

No, they're too effective and too wild. They'd convert a world before anything useful could be achieved.

They die when they're damaged sufficiently. An advanced world would accept that they couldn't be saved and kill them, at tremendous cost to their morale. Do not allow Earth's abnormalities to jade you to the effectiveness of conventional military power.

I hesitate as something that looks like a bodybuilding praying mantis charges me.

Would it be better to use soldiers? As a federal agent I can call on Department of Metahuman Affairs SWAT teams and since we're in Aberrance I imagine that the Department of Energy's equivalents would be made available as well. With current generation ABC warfare gear they should be able to manage acceptably well.

BOOM

And back into storage it goes.

But they might take casualties. People converted into insectoids. Which would cause people to associate that with Un-Men, regardless of the fact this is only happening because a high-powered wizard is attacking the place and decided they were mildly more convenient than making more elementals. That would set Cranius back and it probably wouldn't even improve the situation. Heavy bombardment would work, and completely stop anything useful happening here.

No, I'm going to have to clear this with my own resour-

Iname appears.

"All done, Master!"

-ces.

"Good work. Now let's go and help Knockout."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  12. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think calling the League in would be a good course of action; I'm sure a bunch of their members would be resistant to the insectoid's effects for whatever reason. And if Ahr'ian is still around they would be good backup to have.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's always power rings.

Unless the biomancy makes it difficult.

'over and over until'

'is my'

14. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Where's the Insectoids from again?

I imagine that either a civilian will have already called some sort of hotline or they have some sort of alert that would let them know about something as obvious as this.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The originals are from Louisiana. Later additions come from a variety of places.

16. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, I expected Florida.

Cuchulin, ChestBurster, Darko and 2 others like this.
  17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I would also like to know where these Insectoids come from? Who made them? And why, if they are so dangerous, they weren't being stored and studied off-world?

Grayven has access to multiple different types of portals that would make the commute for researchers unproblematic.

ChestBurster and moralrelativity like this.
  18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, I've done that in games myself: Charge in expecting to steamroll an enemy, only to catch their attack with my face. One of the most painful recently was charging at a Space Marine Devastator with a Lascannon. One word: Cored.

Okay, this is not a place you want melee combatants. good thing Adom isn't here, I guess. I'm not sure that his divinely-granted Potency would protect him...

Last thing you want is a New God Speedster getting anywhere near these things, yeah...

Ironically, the elementals are probably the best weapon against the infectious bugs. Pity they're not on your side.

Man, these things are insane. Those blades would make it hard to block...

Drones with death rays. Another good option to take these things down. Seriously, why were they not entirely wiped out, or at least Boom Tubed to some remote planetoid somewhere? Were Cranius and Crassus that attached to them?

Kill him quickly! And with no splatter!

Man, Arion the Elder is an arsehole. Did he not realize how dangerous they were? Did he simply not care?

"Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills! The people it kills get up and kill!" Yeah, this is not a time to be sloppy.

Damn, this shit's looking like Dead Space in here! Thank Goodness Anton Arcane wasn't a gamer, he might have gotten inspired.

Don't push your luck, girl. This is no time to try and show off to your sweetie.

Thank goodness these things can't think. That'd be even more horrifying, being trapped inside your own body watching it kill and rampage...

Cage is patched up. Now for the escapees. Get scanning, Ringnestro... We got us a bug hunt.

"Currently casting Fist! A lot!" I see she's having fun. And we'll get to see if our guesses paid off.

The only drawback is that the Tube aperture can only form so fast... And only so many at a time... Seriously, Grayven needs to arrange some offworld containment somewhere obscure.

I doubt the Bugs did this. Presumably Arion's doing... Which raises some questions about how...

An unconventional application of summoned Elementals... Quasi-Elementals of Lightning?

Well done, Sunset. Gold star!

And hopefully staying out of Zatara's sight? Last thing we need is a 'let's you and him fight' scenario.

Denied! Back in your hole, bug!

Boy, that's nasty stuff. Might need to quarantine the place and sweep to make sure they didn't leave any surprises about the place...

Yes, people thought the same thing of another bug species. That didn't work out too well for them either. You know, the shiny black ones...

In other words, Earth is too nice? But he has a point. Unless their very blood releases mutagens, killing them all would be the best idea...

No. One scratch and you've got a fresh convert. And these things have shown they're too wily and adept at ambush tactics to be easily fought that way...

"This could take all day..."

So it'll come down to nigh-invulnerable heroes laying in with blades and bullets. Short of some manner of kill-switch, and I doubt Anton thought that far ahead. He would have wanted these things to rampage unstoppably, of course. And if they could kill him? Then so be it.

Well, then. Thank goodness for speedsters.

And introduce Arion the Elder to the Knuckle brothers: Righty and Lefty... o_O Then the Sword of the First and Second, if he's still got it.

Now, to see if the League arrives at the same time Grayven's forces do to confront the villain of the piece. Because between emergency calls and Zatara's inbound presence, there's going to be a lot of people coming to Righteously Punch Arion the Elder's Face... :sneaky: Let the fun begin...

A little Godspeech:

BR549, Prince Charon, Darko and 14 others like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it was Anton Arcane.

Cuchulin, Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He probably doesn't care.

Also with his power he may be able to control them.

Magic.

21. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

There are some places even insectoids fear to tread.

22. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

If it is indeed Arion that is attacking, what is this supposed to even achieve anyway?

Prognostic Hannya and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

This has all been covered in the story, but in summary:

Anton Arcane made them after the original Un-Men turned on him. They're big, aggressive and with Arcane dead they don't obey anyone. Most of them also used to be regular people who were infected by an existing insectoid, and the transformation is very fast. They're kept in Aberrance because Cranius is researching them and... Actually, the site is pretty secure. There are levels of force you can't secure places against.

24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Will we find out what is happening with Tim Hunter?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

All we know is that he's studying at the White School. It's probable that we'll never see him in the story.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  26. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Can Grayven really not think of more efficient ways to beat them? If the Illustress was here he'd probably do it with brain-seeking fillaments tipped with X-ionised knives.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

I completely forgot that Misa/Iname exists here. It feels like it’s been a while since we’ve seen her.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

He could kill them easier, yes. He's trying to avoid doing that.

29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

The only one who can help, their Wizard, is already going. You do not want Superman to get infected, do you?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    MechaNova and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

This is not helpful at all.

This is much more helpful.
    However, a point of confusion is that in Part 10...
    You introduce Insects as what appears to be utility constructs made from the renegades yellow ring, before having the some different, completely unrelated insects show up in Part 12.

And yes, they come out as an curveball.

"well, they were mentioned in the story at some point," isn't a good excuse for not refreshing the readers memories when they suddenly became relevant in the here and now. This is a big sprawling story after all, and I cannot remember them showing up before. So when Grayven suddenly starts ruminating about how they are this incredibly contagious zombie virus analog, I was thinking "what the hell is going on, why are they suddenly here, and how does he know about their virulence without it having happened yet, or the Mother Box or one of the rings doing a scan and telling him?"

Pinklestia, Cuchulin and Vaermina like this.