1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. king_karasu

king_karasu Actually a prince

This is mostly a guess from a half-remembered scene, but is it Austin Powers and were they talking about a phone?

Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  2. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I remember a James Bond parody from before my own time, with a shoe-phone. Don't recall the name. The enemy faction was called CHAOS, and the spy org might have been CONTROL.

It had a more modern remake, but... O don't remember anything but a vague image of a tropes page.

... Google, don't fail me now.
    'Get Smart'

3. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

This seems like a largely pointless update.

4. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

They also had a sandwich-phone.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.
    No.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  6. ironbabyjones

ironbabyjones Getting sticky.

The Naked Gun?

7. Mr Zoat

No.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  8. ironbabyjones

ironbabyjones Getting sticky.

Drat, my next guess is something by Groucho Marx or Woody Allen.

You are the author and entirely allowed to do what you want. I was curious and checked, and the Chicago manual of style and the APA manual botch define ellipsis as having 3 dots. Chicago recommends adding a fourth dot if it occurs at the end of a sentence, though not everybody recommends that. Two dots are definitely considered “incorrect” in formal writing, but I hear that you’re using it consistently and intentionally, so it’s of course your call. Thanks again for the story, I know this has been a labor of love!

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

No, see, that's actually logical.
    If only people spoke formally.

10. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

I still think something is fishy. IDK what but I will keep my fishy thoughts.

Prince Charon and Relyt33 like this.
  11. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Oh El loves to talk, talk talk talk, he is the kind of person I would half tune out if I had to deal with him every day.

12. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

...does this qualify as a breach of contract under the Green Lantern Corps Treaty?

I think it might!

13. cereal_lurker

It seems more like The Reach would argue that this was a GLC internal dispute, with a new GL recruit going crazy and therefore not a violation of the treaty.

RamiroGalletti and TopHatWearer like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm assuming the Guardians have protocols in their rings that prevent certain people or species from wielding their ring.

I think that was the case for Martians here.

And though this ring lacks certain protocols, the Guardians can state that their rings do have such protocols, so the Reachian isn't a recruit.

15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

nah, reach ambassador disavowed them.

16. cereal_lurker

The Guardians (via the Honor Guard) have been unwilling to admit the ring prototype even exists. Given their logic/intransigence, I don't think they would change that policy for a minor skirmish. Either way, it wouldn't matter as The Reach can just point to the incident as a user of Green Light attacking people, who else could it be but the GLC.

17. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

It's more likely they'll simply follow the Negotiator's example and state that this was a rogue agent and they're very sorry it happened. And the first part of it might even be true.

anirocks, Ngamer11, w34v3r and 4 others like this.
  18. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I wonder if a will-enlightened lantern would not be driven mad by the prototype rings.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I mean...
    [​IMG]

It might not be where the line is from, but it's still probably the origin of the shoe-phone joke.

Finerc, anirocks, Ngamer11 and 8 others like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Shouldn't she be healing herself given the ring has no restrictions?

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Old correction, but CITATION!
    Should be very early on April 11th, not very late on April 10th.

Bramble Thorn, anirocks, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Ah, the problems that come with not reading the thing you're inserting into. Thank you, corrected.

23. Ganurath

Coil was using both timelines to maximize the odds of the Undersiders' survival on that night, as well. It's unlikely that he would've been anywhere he couldn't take a call from a supervillain, let alone somewhere he could be mistaken for someone with a position of authority in the PRT, rather than a consultant with a history of field service that ended with an honorable discharge after a traumatic event.

I hadn’t taken note of these things the first time around because I was too busy arguing with Vaermina at the time, but the talk about the SI's love of monologuing had me go back to see if Armsmaster missed an opportunity to be a sly dog.

Ardy, TopHatWearer and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

As I understand it, only Tattletale has the ability to contact him. And she was unconscious. Once Coil saw them die in the model where he told them to run and hide, he was stuck with them going on the offensive as per his last orders until he could contact them. At that point Lord Protector is already in the city and he's seconds from being unmasked without there being anything he can do about it.

I.. don't see a date for him becoming Strike Team Field Commander, so assume that's already happened.

25. Ganurath

CITATION!
    What happened to make them die in the other reality, and how did he find out if Tattletale didn't live to make her call?

26. Threadmarks: Negetiations (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

12th August 2012
    22:32 GMT

Point defence constructs appear behind me, tiny pellets of matter firing at high speed to intercept what is almost certainly-. The anti-matter plasma detonates the moment the matter intersects with it. I didn't get the quantities quite right, but that should disperse it enough that it merely makes a large blast when it hits the atmosphere-proper. She tries taking a shot directly at me, but constructs don't contain matter and it's simple enough to contain it in a construct vessel.

Then my construct shears cut her gun off at the elbow.

She's still glowing, so I guess the gun was-.

The explosion washes over me, whatever anti-matter was still in the gun losing containment! The radiation isn't much of a problem, and there's no shockwave in space, but my construct armour has a few cracks in it by the time the energy wave passes over me. Nothing like the detonation of a power ring, so I'm assuming that she's wearing it somewhere-.

I'm assuming that she was wearing it somewhere else.

It looks like between the hole made by her arm-stump, the holes I punched and the fact that she was much closer than me to the detonation… She's somewhat cooked. Still alive -if barely- but not in any condition to actually fight. The gun arm… Yeah, a containment breach. Can't have been much anti-matter, because the arm is still recognisably arm-shaped.

This is an opportunity.

The host is in a coma, while the Scarab itself is at least somewhat active. It should be possible for me to remove it chirurgically as it looks like it's been forced into shutdown while still being functional enough that we could gain useful intelligence from it. I can't risk assimilating it, but...

Hm.

I could try altering its desires indirectly with orange light manipulation. I haven't tried that yet, and they might not be designed to self-destruct when I do that. I don’t think that the Reach have any experience with that technique.

The armour is slowly growing back over the holes. I think that's an automatic thing, but just in case…

No. Just get the ring. There are other Scarabs.

The green light is at its most intense in the middle of her chest, behind the strongest part of her armour. Makes sense, but a precise application of crumbler probes there and there, and a small x-ionised blade…

Another spray of vaporised blood and the ring comes free, along with a chunk of armour and… Genetic scan? Modified duthellian tissue. Probably not a volunteer, then. Probably as brain dead as the ship crew. The ring looks about as it did in its former display case, though now it's got a little more of a glow to it.

I raise my right hand.

Come to me.

The ring gleams and begins drifting my way-

"Illustres?"

-while the Scarab Warrior's armour bulges with shifting armour plates and semi-organic cables. I think the Scarab is trying to bypass the damaged tissue, but they're not really intended to work like that. I let the ring settle onto my right ring finger, the environmental shield fighting against my orange one for a moment before being put in its place.

"Illustres here. Are you in one piece, K'ryssma?"

"I will heal. Do you have the ring?"

"Yes."

I look at the new ring on my finger. Guy let me fiddle with his ring a grand total of once. I could… Sort of make constructs, but they were… Not great. Abstract mental focus isn't a skill I've really developed. Still, I can manage a basic-.

Warning! Unnatural Mental Influence detected!

A rotating cube construct that… Agh, every cube in my-. Off off off!

The cube vanishes in a puff of green.

I look down at the ring.

Before I left, the Green Lantern comics were… Increasingly showing the Guardians as… Dodgy. The Alpha Lanterns were the worst thing I remember them intentionally doing… I don't know. I haven't gotten the impression that the local Guardians are like that. But… Larfleeze exists here. So they've been lying about that. Hinon confirmed that the Massacre of Sector 666 happened.

And this ring just tried to hotwire my brain into making better constructs. Better green constructs.

"Yes, I've got it."

How trusting do I feel right now? I mean, K'ryssma hasn't been particular honest with me about what's going on, and… Frankly, the Guardians abdicated any responsibility regarding the Reach when they signed their treaty. And I… Really don't want to have to deal with Guardians in evil mode. This ring looks like something that could end up taking them in some very unpleasant directions. But they've already got the technology anyway, and making an issue out of this might worsen relations between our organisations. I should probably-.

[​IMG]

"And I'm sending it to Maltus. Invite the Guardians to address any complaints to the Controllers, and remind them that a little honesty goes a long way."

"That is not yours to take."

I look at it. I could make it orange, but that might damage it.

"The Controllers gave the ship back, didn't they? I put the work in, so I'm claiming the reward. If you want my help in future, start by being honest. End."

I look around local space. Doesn't look like the Reach shot at anything not on the planet's surface.

"Illustres to Lantern Drusa. Cruiser and Scarab Warrior neutralised. Please secure the remains of the Reach ships in the hold of one of our cargo ships. Dump other cargo if you have to; those are going to L.E.G.I.O.N. intelligence."

"And the Scarab?"

I generate a construct chirurgical unit, blades at the ready. I've seen our data on removing Scarabs, and… It's never been done entirely successfully. If I keep her alive I could have our wizards take a stab at it, but I think that's taking an unnecessary risk. Find the Scarab, find the Scarab… Ah, they actually put it in the skull rather than on the upper spine this time, how creative. Crumble the built-up armour around the head, insert construct nutrient feeds into the brain…

Good.

Take a snapshot of the brain. They might… Would they have had to leave this one a bit more compos mentis than the others? Not sure. Examining Scarab Warriors post mortem is always a little difficult. The Darkstars didn't bother trying to keep them in one piece before I arrived, and it hasn't become more of a priority now that they theoretically can.

Three, two, stab and shield!

And I have a brain. The Scarab should register the host's death a second later, but if I use an animation suspension-.

The Scarab atomises.

Though I'm pleased to note that a lot of the armour stays in one piece this time. Too badly damaged to fully self-destruct? Worth knowing.

Next step, then. These remains and this brain go onto a cargo ship in the most secure storage unit I can build, then I'm heading back to the planet to do some arm twisting.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  27. Mr Zoat

Ah, no. What you have to remember about Coil's power is that there is no other reality. His power simulates what would happen, it doesn't literally make it happen, because that would involve creating and destroying an entire universe and shards don't have that sort of power to throw around. There are a few different fan interpretations of the exact mechanics. I read a story where if something it didn't model happens he was stuck acting out the version he 'chose' with no awareness of what was really happening around him until he 'ended' the simulation. I've read a story where if something unexpected happens his power just turns off.

Coil's power doesn't have the data to model a power ring, and when he did his simulation Lord Protector was 'out of bounds'. As a result, his simulation made no mention of the man and he gave Tattletale instructions on that basis.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'settle onto'

'vanishes'

'regarding'

And potentially you if it has a negative reaction to assimilation.

'they actually'

29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Green Rings aren't good at healing in this story because willpower largely requires knowing what you are doing and most people don't know how their biology works.

If the scarab was in fact in charge of the scarab warrior then wouldn't it know the ins and outs of the host's biology?

And therefore be able to heal the host just fine?

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Nice. I wonder what the Controllers could get out of the ring before they (maybe) send it to the Guardians.