1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So you picked up a few tricks.

But you'd probably do something like that.

Honestly, it can sometimes be difficult to figure out what Paul wants.

And Giovanni is probably wondering what this lunatic in front of him did to his daughter.

He hasn't.

Well Cornwall Boy did mention that the Celtic afterlife could offer reincarnation, and John is British, which has at least a bit of a connection to Celtic myth, so there's that.

Also it wouldn't be surprising if his previous incarnation used a reincarnation spell to escape a place like Hell.

Yeah, asking for advice from John Constantine is just asking for trouble.

No one trusts a Constantine.

Especially another Constantine since they'd be aware of all the stupidity more intimately than anyone else.

That wasn't a compliment.

2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I can feel Paul's gratitude at this moment!

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I mean... It wouldn't be that hard for a Lord of Order or Chaos to kill you if we were sticking to their canon abilities...

TopHatWearer, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I see he's learned some new tricks from his time under Nabu. Hopefully that's all it is. I'd hate to find out the lich pulled a Grand Theft Zatara. Though if or when it came out, he wouldn't be in there for much longer afterwards...

I wonder if he learned any actual spellcraft, or if it's just a matter of energy sources.

The problem is, Order is not always synonymous with Good. An entirely dead planet is orderly. A planet of mind-controlled slaves is orderly. Neither would be good, especially for those involved...

Admittedly, it would be a little tougher to win without his trump-card of the Sword of the Fallen, but still...

And Best Snek might object to being treated as a garbage disposal, especially after the third or fourth such meal...

That could take a while. They're hardly in short supply, aren't they?

I mean, I doubt OL would take it as one... Until something set him on the Lords.

Because people will be people. And most people are shit.

How appropriate.

Uh, sure... Technically true.

As seen in the 'Gate: The JSDF Fought There' segments of Future OL, that can be done to him...

Well, no-one ever accused OL of being normal.

Eh, I doubt it. Would probably get boring as hell right quick.

Admittedly, he'd have to consult with Zatara on that sort of thing anyway. Among other mages.

Right! Don't get distracted!

...Would anyone tell the difference, outside of raw power-level? :p

Especially if he can nudge it into copying other people's auras.

To be fair, it does seem the sort of cheap, low-energy trick he'd be accustomed to use.

After all, a Constantine without a close eye on them is a dangerous Constantine.

Well, that's good news?

Would most wizards even use a spell this simple? They'd have the power for more conventional methods, surely.

Yes, he knows. He's responsible for it becoming even more so.

...And since he's probably aware that he had a still-born twin...

Unless something comes up to get in the way. Because with as much power as John has now, why limit a distraction spell to just OL.

Sage wisdom!

No need to sound so proud of yourself, OL...

How nice of him.

Excellent, the hunt for Constantine is afoot! And those with a proper sense of how dangerous John Constantine can be are taking his silence very seriously, I see. Good. Though if it turns out John simply forgot to disable his 'notice me not' spell when he got his shit sorted out, OL might well smack him. :D And it would be well deserved.

5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

You don't beat Optimus by being like Megatron. You do so by pushing his guilt and responsibilities buttons.

Is honestly disappointing how easy it is if you know the guy.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

I for one share his appreciation for being accurately judged. I am happy to be spoken of well or poorly as long as it is true.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This kinda reminds me of A Traveling Merchant and Wandering Mage.

The MC and friends end up in a YJ universe, specifically the WTR one, and they help deal with the mind controlled League and manage to remove Nabu, but he still needs a host to operate.

The host needs to be a moral individual since Nabu is a being of pure order, so he doesn't really care about good or evil.

If he has a moral host then he can become moral himself and do good orderly things instead of just orderly things, but if his host isn't moral then everyone is screwed.

Actually before the MC ended up in WTR, he and his crew picked up a bunch of Nasu mages and some of the readers, myself included, suggested putting Nabu on knew of them, but then the author stated the whole "pure order needing good" thing and well...

One of the readers gave an example that if a magical threat was about to drain children of their magic and souls then a Nabu with morally horrible host wouldn't save those children, but he would drain them himself and fill them with order magic.

Nasu mages are basically sociopaths.

John has always been just a walking bag of chaos and damaged lungs.

Ohh, boy, this is connected to the Golden Boy.

John used the spell to somehow contact his alternate universe counterpart and that's how John Quinn came to be.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

9. Khorne's-berzerker

Khorne's-berzerker YOUR SKULLS FOR KHORNE

I know mr zoat has a red lantern paul side story can anyone tell me where i can find them in the story

Relyt33 likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here's the first time he showed up.

11. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was actually planning to ask yesterday if Renegade-Zatara was Awakened or planning to undergo Awakening soon (I forget how long it's been in-universe, though I know that even the generous estimates would be less than someone would like for a novel and irreversible magical procedure). Also, how does Zatanna compare to Circe in that timeline, since both are New Goddesses of Magic? Zatanna's been Awakened longer, but Circe has more knowledge and experience with being a divine being, which might help in optimizing self-improvement.

Oh that would be quite cool (I forget if John Quinn is a separate character from Hellblazer, so that seems plausible to me if not). I was wondering if we'd get Laughing Magician-related shenanigans, myself- though I'm not sure whether the Magicians are reincarnations of the same soul or 'just' a certain metaphysical role that just manifests in different people in the same bloodline throughout history.

I do hope we get a family reunion or something with Cheryl Masterson's long-lost son given away at birth.

I wonder if we'll get some more of Boss Smiley too, since the Silver City Invasion always seemed like the perfect episode for John to show up. If he's actually up to things, I'd hope that someone's working to counter him. Also Paragon-timeline Circe and Truggs, since the Light seem to have done similar meta-narrative magic as John and disappeared from the story's focus almost entirely.

Vorian, TopHatWearer and Lord Ernest like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think there was a John Quinn in Hellblazer.

However, John's mother's maiden name was Quinn, so maybe Golden Boy chose to use that.

I didn't think if this but it makes sense.

Ardy likes this.
  13. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was mostly joking, to be clear for anyone reading that. I just want to see someone finally take care of the Light, and I'm fine for it not to all be directly due to Paragon. Jade using her Darkstar abilities and insider knowledge could be interesting, for example.

I'm assuming the Great Awakening is something that happened in the Paragon timeline, and I forget if it was discussed/explained in the thread when this Gate side-chapter actually came out? Right now I wonder if it's a reference to the world post-Sheeda invasion where the world 'woke up' to the idea that they couldn't just rely on superheroes for major threats and their current global political and military infrastructures and m.o's were kind of obsolete. Or if the Awakening is going to happen in the future of the current point in the story.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but it is an interesting idea.

I'm kinda hoping the League does it to show how far they've come.

It wasn't really explained.

Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  15. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh that is the most Paul thing. Really fun hypothetical, though I can see Paul getting along with at least one Lord of Order. And overreaction is Paul's middle name at this point.

Funny enough, just on a conceptual level Greed > Order makes sense, given the number of people who let their greed cause them to override rules or a functioning/efficient society/system. Though on the other hand Order in a society helps exist so everyone isn't just hoarding their own stuff and prioritizing interests.

16. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

I wonder if there’s Lord of Chaos Paul somewhere in the multiverse, being Mxyplik to some poor bastard out there for giggles

17. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Well, the version that altered the desires of everyone on the League to fit his needs seems to have the Lord of Order vibes, so in the name of balance...

david15 and kerleth like this.
  18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not hard to do.

Just have an alt.Paul who got his hands on the Flashing Blade that allows Nemesis to kill immortals by absorbing their powers and giving them to the wielder first.

Nemesis used it to take Diana's powers and then went to Olympus and was like "Hey old man, you're in my chair!"

So it would allow an alt.Paul to highlander Klarion.

19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Either "I see [it] open fire" for subject/verb agreement, or take out "I see" which also fixes the subject/verb agreement and avoids a paradox with "invisible" ;)

compliment

that people [...] fight

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    So, yes?

21. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

John talking to golden boy? oh that has so many terrifying implications.

22. Threadmarks: Dear John (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

7th November 2012
    11:35 GMT

Dr. Balewa nods. "Yes, it can be done. It can even be done legally, though I am not-" He frowns. "-sure that the laws concerning magic are well thought through."

"It's the nice thing about having a Security Council majority that doesn't give a fig about privacy or know anything about magic."

"I am not comfortable with this."

"Then… You should probably have spent more of your life teaching, I guess." He looks at me in an interrogative manner. "You're old enough and powerful enough to have had plenty of opportunities to fix things about human civilisation that you don't like."

"My magic does not make me omniscient."

I hold up my right hand, shaking my head. "I'm not talking about crowning yourself God-King of Earth. I'm talking about educating decision-makers so they're a bit less ignorant." I shrug. "I don't actually mind you not having done it-"

That is a direct lie, and I wish Diana was here to hear it.

"-but it's a bit rich to complain about the consequences now."

"I suppose that I should take my share of responsibility. But I em not to blame for the wilful ignorance of thousands of men for dozens of generations."

I don't know about that. At this point he should probably have a good idea of how people think and behave. I don’t expect much from most people, much as I'd like them to surprise me. But if you're going to be on the League you've really got to take that responsibility.

But moving on.

"So… Are you willing to? Do you need me to do anything?"

He turns his head towards Mr. Zatara. "Are you certain that this is necessary?"

He nods. "I think that it is for the best. John Constantine is not someone who should be left unobserved."

"Then I shall do it. I do not need any materials, but it will take an hour for me to fully acclimatise myself to Earth's thaumic systems, even with the array's aid."

I nod. "Um. I'm never really sure, but… Do you want me to stay here to… Show that I'm paying attention, or should I just come back in an hour?"

He waves me away with his right hand. "You are free to leave. I will send you the locations when I em finished."

"Thank you. I'll-."

"But before you go, I think that I should ask if you are going to do anything which is likely to cause a large disruption to Earth's thaumic fields."

"Does overthrowing Zeus count?"

"If it were something that you had not yet done, then it would count."

"I'm trying to avoid…" Um. "Would making all plants on Earth highly deadly to demons count?"

"Yes." / "What do you mean?"

"Okay, you remember how I gave Euanthe a piece of wood I got from Eden, and she used it to give herself anti-demon thorn armour?"

Mr. Zatara's face falls slightly. "She is going to do the same to all of Brazil."

"Less Brazil, more the entire world. Other than disrupting long-running demon magic based spells I couldn't see a downside so I just left her to it."

Dr. Balewa and Mr. Zatara share a slightly awkward look.

"I think that perhaps I should go to Brazil."

"Um, okay, but I don't think Euanthe ever met you, and… Have you ever met Doctor Isley?"

"Yes. Once. While I was in Gotham and she was Poison Ivy."

"Okay, look, I understand what this sounds like? But maybe you should leave this one to me."

He looks at me. After a moment his mouth twitches into something that might be trying to be a smile, but then it dies.

"Why don't we both go."

"Ah, okay. Do you want me to go first and make a zeta tube construct? I'm pretty sure that there aren't any zeta tubes near their temple-palace."

"Thank you, that would be helpful."

I nod, raising my right hand to my forehead.

"Rightho. See you shortly."

7th November 2012
    08:38 GMT -3

I generate a zeta tube construct as I have a look around. The growth appears to have.. grown slightly, but otherwise not much has changed in the last-

"Recognised, Zatara, One One."

-week. Mr. Zatara looks around as he appears, taking everything in as if for the first… Time.

"Have you not been here since they took over?"

"Legally, this is a nation in a civil war. The League is not supposed to choose a side."

"Which is reasonable, except that it might have reassured other countries if you spoke to the Accala or Euanthe about what their plans were." Hm, why would-? "Oh."

"Yes."

"Because if there was a peace settlement, then Accalacan would get a seat in the United Nations General Assembly."

"Why do you assume that it would stop there? The Accala control a large area of South America, an army of superpowered soldiers and a ruler who can control all of the plants in the world."

"But they've… Got no economy, no trade, and they certainly won't assume Brazil's debts. Atlantis would be a better choice for the Security Council than Accalacan would be."

"Perhaps. But people do not see Atlantis, and Atlantis has been happy to stay under water ever since it sank. And everyone knows that Accalacan could conquer the rest of South America if it wanted to."

True. And the reason they haven't is that the Accala and their immediate allies don't particularly want to rather than any actual difficulty they'd encounter.

I find myself frowning as we walk into the temple-palace.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"But I am"

24. SH2009

SH2009 Making the rounds.

He does it again later in the text. I suspect it is intended to be an accent.

25. Mr Zoat

It is.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The fact that LePaul went "Oh I can't see a downside so that means there must not be one" should worry everyone...

27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

The phonetic accents are fine when they're regular characters who frequently say things influenced by their accents, but the ones who 'sound different' this rarely get pretty annoying.

But if Zoat cared about that, he probably wouldn't say 'whaw' and 'whow' either, and so here we are.

(The only sound Doctor Mist makes differently is the short 'a', and not even every time. It's pretty much just 'am' and 'can't' IIRC.)

28. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh here it is boys and girls! The hail Mary pass to throw off OL!

29. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

Perhaps the most efficient superheroing possible on this Earth would be a super advisor who follows OL around and critiques his thinking.

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Given the events of the last couple of years, be glad they haven't outlawed magic. Mostly thanks to OL's wise words a while back to the senator pushing for it. People do tend to overreact when they're angry, after all...

Pity he couldn't be arsed, then. I mean, given his lifespan, he's seen far too much of the bad side of humanity to trust in the better side.

Admittedly, I doubt some of them would really understand without it being explained very slowly, and in small words.

I figured he seemed a little too fine with it. :rolleyes:

Like I said, he's seen far too much of Humanity's ugliness. I'm amazed he's still Enlightened after all these years...

At this point, OL, I think he'd be happy if you stopped talking... :oops:

This is a man who knows his shit when it comes to Constantine, after all.

I mean, we could get back to Krono's storyline in that time, so...

Well, all-righty, then.

OL, that's why he's asking.

Oh, right. Euanthe.

Turns out she really liked the idea, so...

...And this is why people think you shouldn't be left unsupervised, OL...

...Just to, you know, makes sure she doesn't inadvertently piss off all of demonkind and trigger a blood war?

Let's... Not use that name around her, hmm?

Sadly, all too common a reaction in OL's mentor figures...

Not like those installed in the region would have survived either the Sheeda invasion or the subsequent reforestation...

And the two wizards share a look once he's gone...

Not sure even they could reshape a massive growth like this that quickly, OL...

He probably did a few shows in the rich part of town, back in the day...

Albeit a war where one side can barely find the other to fight, and would struggle to hurt them if they did. While the opposition doesn't give a flying fuck about the others as long as they stay out of their woods...

Care to share with the rest of the class, smart guy?

The question is, would they care enough to bother? Even if Hugo Danner could impress on them the sheer power the rest of the world could threaten them with... What does the outside world have to offer them?

Key words being 'if it wanted to', Johnny. I suspect those still in the forests are happy to remain there, and those who visited the cities still hang out at the periphery...

The world's fear of the unknown is going to fuck it all up, isn't it?

So, then. Sounds like the 'developed' world is having worries about the tribesfolk of steel getting bored just hanging out in their woods. Why do I get the feeling there's something else behind that fear? Perhaps someone :sneaky: is a little upset about the 'status quo' of Earth 16 getting this altered, hmm? A word whispered in one world leader's ear, a nudge there to another's policies... Wouldn't take much to turn this situation into an event worthy of a line-wide summer crossover. :p

Last edited: May 16, 2022