1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Yeah, that was my thought. I've looked through town records where a mayor said "We are now free of Jews!" while I was researching about someone who managed to avoid getting sent to the camps. Plus I imagine communities in Puerto Rico and China and the like would have warning time to try and better hide.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Those places might have also been invaded and conquered.

We know that China was hit by a biological weapon, so anyone that was hiding there could have been affected by it.

Puerto Rico may have also been conquered, so anyone that was Jewish there could have been killed.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Those places have definitely been invaded and conquered, but what Windona meant was that as they would have been conquered later the Jews would have more time to hide. Not sure how many Jews were in China back then, though, and I think that any surviving Jews would have to hide extremely deeply, because I would expect the government to do routine genetic checks of the population, at least for a few years after the war.
    I don’t think the Jews would be affected by that biological weapon since it was IIRC targeted at Indians and the Chinese were just similar enough that it hit them too. As far as I’m aware, Jews aren’t similar to either Indians or Chinese. However, the Nazis might have created a separate biological weapon against Jews, though they might not want to risk it given the unexpected effects of the other one.

Cuchulin and Windona like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's the other way around.

The weapon was made flto attack the Chinese, but it also affected the Indians due to some similarities.

5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing quote

6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Ah, thanks, I thought I might have mixed it up. I thought that since the Chinese were Japanese subjects, the Japanese might object to their eradication, but I guess either the Nazis just didn’t care about their opinion or the Japanese thought the Chinese weren’t even worth enslaving.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

8. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Probably what's been done in some other "Nazis win" stories.

Any remaining Jews are probably at the point they're able to hide in plain sight by being very, very careful to hide their Jewishness. Some taking the risk to have secret meetings for faith stuff, and others not taking any chances and totally abandoning Judaism to pretend they were never Jewish to begin with. Then they raise their kids as Christians or something.

9. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

So unless this Paul has been through the naturalization process shouldn't that say them and their?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  10. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I doubt that they’re hiding in plain sight. These Nazis have Kryptonian technology, so they should be able to detect Jewish genetics, and I would absolutely expect them to demand genetic samples from all of their citizens.

11. Mr Zoat

Actually, no. A British person's right to free expression is protected in exactly the same way an American citizen's is.

Also, this SI was effectively naturalised when he was accepted into the Sky Reavers tribe.

12. Windona

Fun fact, Shanghai was a popular place of refuge for Jews during WW2.

Would they have had enough material left to figure out a genetic difference? Though that could also make those who converted safer, but they'd be super small in number.

Oh, other General Thoughts on the Fic:

I love that both Paragon and Renegade have a thing for turning enemies into allies, but also how they do it differently and who they chose. Renegade succeeded where Paul failed by being a controlling jerk, etc.

For obvious reasons, I also love the various interactions with the Reach and the space worldbuilding. I didn't really read much of the new52 Blue Beetle, but it's nice to see the Reach incorporated more into the galaxy and having interactions with other factions.

13. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I think Chaoswind has a record....7 times?

14. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

Ok I was going to fight you on a tribe of Nevada raiders having the authority to naturalize you, but then I had the mental picture of what they put you through to join their tribe, and it made me laugh so I'm not going to.

"Kronos, you have Naruto run across our lands to show your endurance, you spent three days tracking the Stars to show your perception. You have studied and learned the language of the Fonz,"

"Don't knock it till you've tried it."

"Ayy, to increase your charisma, you passed the civics G.O.A.T. test to prove your intelligence, you came in third at the 21 hour dance competition to defend your agility."

"I would have done better if my shoe's heel hadn't broken."

"But your makeup was impeccable, and now to gain our strength you will eat the sandwich of America, the tuna fish."

Raider 1 aside "What did you put in the sandwich this time?"

Raider 2 "Idiot this guy is going to be Chief, I'm not taking the chance he thinks we tampered with his food. I used the very best prewar canned stuff and plenty of yellow mayonnaise."

15. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

"What's a 'Naruto run' ?"

"Something that won't be invented until the 2000's, in another time line, don't sweat the details."

"bwha?"

"Just Blame Constantine."

16. Threadmarks: Fallout: Iowa (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

2nd November 2282
    15:31 CDT

A sudden increase in temperature and the slight crackle as the truck's inertia suppression field activates. A quick psychokinetic yank and the soldier closest to it ends up in the middle-

"Gah!"

-of the truck as my psychokinetic barrier strains to keep the heat isolated. A picture of my environment forming in my mind, I reach outward with my psychokinetic abilities just as whatever just got fired at us causes the truck's armour to redden.

The truck brakes hard, soldiers grabbing onto their seating in an attempt to stay upright. Lieutenant Orwich looks at me, then at the sealed rear of the truck. I nod, pressing the switch that releases the doors and causing natural sunlight to leak into our compartment.

Lieutenant Orwich points. "Everybody out!"

Enclave soldiers are trained and motivated to a degree that only the most highly skilled NCR soldiers can match. There's no pushing, no shoving and definitely no panicking. Instead they get out as the truck comes to a halt and the ball turret mounted light machinegun on the front opens fire at something we can't see.

The lieutenant and I are the last ones out, the side of the truck glowing brighter as… Some sort of radiation weapon hits it again. We're on a… Partially restored section of the Interstate 90. Survivors from Heaven's Gate who fled from the Crimson Acolytes cleared it of pre-war wrecks in order to extract their steel and radiologicals, and while the road itself is mostly in okay condition there's no immediate cover other than our trucks. The soldiers are hitting the tarmac-flecked concrete while they try and spot where the attack is coming from.

Lieutenant Orwich glances up at me. "We get our guns back now?"

The other trucks are pulling to a halt, guns pointing towards where our truck is shooting. I quickly glance at my Geiger watch, and… We're not truly into the radiation belt just yet, but we're close enough that everyone's going to be on a RadAway drip after this. I'm at a half-crouch; my force field, armour and psychic abilities mean I'm a lot safer than the disarmed Enclave soldiers and I need information.

Who the hell uses pure radiation weapons around here? No one I can think of.

Three other trucks open fire, while another drives up alongside ours to cover the hole in its armour. I gesture down the convoy. "Second truck from the rear. Stay in cover unless they get closer."

Lieutenant Orwich nods, rising to a sprinter's crouch. "Evans, Lewis, get moving." Two of the soldiers scramble up, dashing towards the rear of the convoy using the cover the trucks provide. "Everyone else, stay down and wait your turn. You know who this is?"

I reach my mind out towards the pilot who's supposed to be providing air cover.

**Jeri, what's going on?**

**[Picture of a ruined town, confusing heat and radiological flares which mean nothing to me twinkling sporadically.]**

**Meaning?**

"Davis, O'Shaughnessy, go!"

**Can't see shit, Krono. You know how alla this radiation messes up the sensors.**

**Can you at least put some fire downrange?**

**I can shoot up that ruined town, but there could be other people in there.**

WHOOOOSH!

Shields on the truck providing cover to us flare as the frontal armour heats up-. I throw up a shield, feeling the pressure of… Gamma radiation, it's a gaser, and a big one. The side door of the truck is flung open as the passenger dives-

BANGBANGBANGBANG!

-out an instant before the ammunition starts cooking off, bullets ripping into the lightly armoured-

"Aghuargh."

-interior. I wince as the driver collapses into a bleeding lump, then catch sight of two Ghost operatives shimmering into invisibility as they activate their stealth suits and run in the direction of our attackers.

**Link up with infantry and provide fire support at their direction.**

"Scott, Vaughn!"

**Sure thing chief.**

"Stuart!" Lieutenant Orwich glances back at me. "Mutie Chief! Head in the game!"

"Just coordinating our efforts, lieutenant." **Does anyone have a visual?**

**[A window in the second floor of an old office building. Something inside it moves.]**

I take a moment to **[get the bird's eye view of that location]** from Jeri and calculate the angle… Good enough.

**Jeri, hit it.**

Lieutenant Orwich crawls forward to check on the gunner. A little stunned, but basically alright. She scrambles back into the front compartment of the truck, psychic energy gathering to try and keep the driver alive while she readies a stim-pack plunger.

In the distance I see the invisible saucer's disintegrator cannon open fire, pale blue streaks of light raining down-

-**[on the building, bricks and metal coming apart but something glowing yellow tanking the hits.]**

I try reaching out in that direction with my mind, but radiation messes up remote viewing and… I can't feel a mind over there. Which means that it's probably a turret, or.. another robot. Yellow force fields are pretty darn tough, so it's-.

Plumes of dust erupt from the ground between us and the town, yellow glows appearing from each of the newly created holes and then moving towards us at speed.

**[The Ghosts take cover, showing an image of large… Robots, or some type of novel power armour. They have a force field tower shield on their left arm and what looks like a multi-barrelled energy weapon with an axe bayonet mounted directly on their right.]**

**Let them pass you and fire on them from behind. Jeri, hit them.**

The robots are approaching at a loping run, far faster and more organic looking than anything RobCo ever managed. They remind me a little of the C-series, but lighter and with longer legs. They'll be here-

"The fuck?"

-in fifteen seconds, more or less.

**Break out the pulse weapons and anti-armour.** "Lieutenant, get yourself a gun. We'll need to flank them to avoid the shield."

I draw my plasma pistol, and take a moment to wish that someone with mech-empathy was here. I can sort of interface with electronic systems psychically, but I'm not good enough at it to get through to robots that have already locked on.

I see the robot's gun arms come up as they enter effective range and open fire, targetting the gaps between the trucks with high accuracy. Rate of fire's not all that high, but those shots would melt through a normal person if they-.

The saucer opens fire with its disintegrator cannon, the robot it targetted diving to the side to evade the shot with incredible agility. All of the others then raise their shields over their heads, and the second robot targetted takes a short volley without any-

CRACK!

-difficulty, but the position leaves it open to a gauss rifle shot from our column which hits it square in the chest. The robot is knocked off its feet, but turns it into a roll and leaps back into action with only a small amount of visible damage.

CRACK!

Shields back down, the gauss shot hitting and being turned aside by the yellow energy barrier. Disintegrator bolts-.

Gamma guns go up and open fire. I can't see the shots-.

The air shimmers, the saucer becoming visible as it twists in the air and tries to climb!

**I'm hit!**

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat, in the spoiler box part there's a link for part 3 that doesn't work and a link for part 4 that leads to this chapter.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

No idea who these guys are, but let's hope he can ally with them.

Grasers and shields able to block desintegrators? Ho boy!

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, gasers. Grasers are gravity.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oooh, sounds like someone found some kind of heat-ray. Probably some form of laser weapon, given that's their actual method of dealing damage: suddenly transferring massive amounts of heat into materials not made to suffer that kind of thermal surge. What does that do to flesh? Imagine something like fleshy popcorn.

Yeah, sitting inside a metal box under this sort of attack? You'd get to feel what a TV dinner feels like in a microwave.

Hooray for martial discipline. Pity it comes at the cost of them being nice, regular human beings.

Because in the Fallout universe, they put tiny nuclear reactors in cars. The only reason they didn't in real life was that they couldn't make them small enough safely.

...Better to trust them and let them fight for their lives. You'll probably need the extra hands.

Until ambushers pop up on the other side too, because why would things be as simple as a lone gunman?

Ah, good, he did have air support on overwatch. Surprised they didn't see this coming, though. Bad luck?

Because of course a psychically-boosted Paul is going to be capable of perceiving direct visual input from others.

Ah, if only they could have this conversation in bullet-time aka VATS.

And given the armaments on their flyers, that's a lot of fire. :p

Acceptable losses, methinks, if raiders have taken up residence.

A particularly messy form of energy weapon, given that living things do not like Gamma Radiation.

Ouch. Bad luck for those boys.

Hopefully not directly. Given that kind of high-tech firepower, it's not unreasonable for them to be able to detect stealthed soldiers.

And the pilot naturally knows to be wary of ground-based fire, since they would have seen the energy bolts.

Since Krono probably isn't doing the typical 'hand-to-temple pose that tells readers bystanders that psychic stuff is going down... :p

Bad sniping practice. This is why a good sniper never shoots from the same place twice at this range... Getting found usually tends to result in return fire being labelled 'Dear Grid Co-ordinates...' ;)

Thank goodness for Fallout's near-magical healing supplies.

...Well, that's not good, is it?

:p ...Because forcefields are colour-coded by durability? Though I bet that's merely a side-effect of the generating process for something that tough.

Whoopee, war-bots of some kind. Leftovers from the war roving on automatic, or someone's garage pet project?

So, something like these? Well, that leads to a possible culprit: an AI super-computer with malign intentions...

Great. Best way to make friends, I suppose, fighting side-by-side for your life.

Probably venting a level of built-up heat that would be unpleasant for a human, hence the long time between shots...

Oh, for... Seriously, are these guys even from this universe? Nothing else popped through the cracks when Krona fell, did they?

...And they're bullet-resistant. Hoo-bloody-ray.

Evidently they don't like air support, so they're taking action against it.

And there goes the flyer. This fight just got harder.

So, anyone else getting the feel of a late-game random encounter for a player at the level cap? When mere bandits can be running around in super-advanced armour and mega-damage weapons? Okay, it's probably not that, but still... Someone evidently doesn't want visitors passing through. Let's hope they can pull through, and maybe find something out from the remains.

I gesture down the convoy.

21. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Invaders from Mars?

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This is something Zoat made up that Fallout psychics can't actually do.

Assaultrons say otherwise.

Also for those who don't know, the C-Series are these.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  23. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well damn, it looks like The Institute does not like the technologically advanced post-war America Paul is building. Frigging synths.

24. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

That's the friendly saucer firing - remember Krono has beeen reverse-engineering the (Fallout canon!) aliens' tech...

The real-life term for a gamma-ray laser is graser. Gamma Ray Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

"Gaser" (dropping the "Ray") is apparently an acceptable alternative, but nobody will think of it.

A gravity ray would (to those with good taste in sci-fi, at least) be a "gravy gun".

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I don't think that the zetans' origin point is ever established.
    I'd have to check the timeline, but I don't think that the Institute has anything this advanced yet.
    This SI remembers the nomenclature from the Sector General series, not the real llife terms.

27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well if institute is out then I’m out of ideas

28. Mr Zoat

Fallout America is a big and strange place. Don't assume that it's any established faction.

29. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Ah. Paul transmigrated before Falloout 4 was released, didn't he?

30. Windona

Well, clearly this is a universe where Fallout and Starcraft exist at the same time with Zerg technology incorporated.

I joke.

Psychic network for a camera eye view is still pretty cool.

I-94: they're still north of Iowa? Or does Falllout's Iowa have different borders?