1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may have felt more comfortable confident after his victory that it didn't worry him so much.

2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah, then that should probably be a question mark at the end, not a period. At least I think it should be give the sentence structure.

3. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

"a" to "at"

"his" to "him"

"crime" to "grime"

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, I suppose they were able to get out of the Bad place right quick once Doctor Mist had kicked the door in. So, back in the real world, Uncle Sam safe and about to be in sound health. Not a bad day's work? Still, things to do, questions to be asked.

No need to put on a brave face, hero.

On the other hand, everything around it... That, he can mess with.

Yeah, this shit is going to be all over the local 'Tubes. 'British man rescues America from itself!' would be an amusing title to see...

Ow. Is that what it's like when reality skips a beat for a second? ...Wonder if he can do that to people's clothes? x3 Like say, underwear.

Ever the magpie, eh, OL?

And boy, is that ever going to be making the meme circuit in record time.

Back to his usual style. Johnny should have known, never mess with a man's hat.

And that's no small offer, because if Sam is one thing, it's honourable.

Assuming he can find the Grinning Git. Bastard has a knack for hiding.

To be expected, if he's been locked away for nearly fifty years. John's old, but not that old.

Probably grumbling a bit about the fact his name is out in heroic circles. But a little trickery and they'll soon forget about him.

An appropriate statement. If he weren't a magical being, he'd do well with a Green Power Ring, I bet.

And I don't doubt that a young and foolish Sam did try. Once.

Better locks on the doors, eh? One way to keep things calm and secure.

If looks could kill, you'd probably be physics right now.

Well, that's good. A few new leads on the real man, then?

Well, then. One bet what the next episode will focus on, eh? :sneaky:

...Have you got a couple of years to spare? It could take a while.

Because there's some feelings a Ring can't just wipe away...

...No matter how hard and often you might try.

And do you want him still on the loose in there, spreading his bullshit across America's collective subconscious?

Well, they passed his little test, but it seems someone else has plans for Johnny-boy.

Because this might be a play by the Yellow-faced Asshole to reclaim an asset, of course.

:confused: ...Right, then.

Well, can't blame Gordon for doing what she does.

That'll make an interesting report on what happened, though. "Yeah, a giant corporate vulture ate him. Circle of Life and all that."

Well, one successful rescue, a threat removed, and a subtle one on the League's radar now. Not a bad day in all. Though I have the feeling the Smiling Bastard has contingencies in place for just such an exposure. A little tweak to people's perceptions, and he's just one more supervillain added to watch lists no-one will notice. ;) Now, on to John Constantine!

I thought that kaahuite accumulated around the one place in creation..
    Double Space there.
    And… He's a magical being whose reaction to the orange light...

5. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

They probably relocated him to the Heartlands.

Last time, he ambushed Paul and Alan in the middle of their magical phone call with Lady Liberty. I doubt that he's brazen enough to do so while several high-powered magic users like Dr Balewa and Zauriel are watching.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    ChestBurster, Ardy, Jaron and 8 others like this.
  6. oct9010

oct9010 .

I guess that's fair. And if we're assuming 'dimension-shift people into the Badlands' is the only thing Smiley could do to someone, I suppose it would be pretty pointless to keep trying when Balewa knows what's going on and can portal in and out himself.

7. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

grime

ChestBurster and Vorian like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Now I'm imagining something hilarious happening.

•●•

Superman: Zauriel, can you do this?

Zauriel: Yes, the spell should allow me to see past the extensive warding the demon cultist employs. Though I have never performed this specific spell before, I am confident that I can do it.

Zauriel spreads his his arms and wings, opening his mouth he lets out a sound that reverberates across the universe...and the League loses most of their clothes.

Wonder Woman: Great Hera!

Hal: What the?!

Hawkgirl: What the fuck?!

Batman: Zauriel! What happened?!

Zauriel: I...I told you that I have never performed this spell before! But I did not think that this would happen!

Batman: Next time, practice your magic before using it!

There was a moment of silence as everyone turned towards Batman.

Superman: Batman...why do you have underwear with the Bat Symbol printed on them?

Batman:......SHUT UP!

9. redleo37

redleo37 Getting some practice in, huh?

Why do I feel as though Boss Smiley had him ‘killed’ (we shall see how long that lasts) for a reason maybe he wanted Reb replaced by someone new and shiny that could do a better job, being a member of the Light means he has choice pick from a lot of supervillains and might want to use one of them to replace Reb.

10. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Presumably it's missing the question mark at the end because the tone of voice doesn't have the rising tone at the end that is usually typical of a question.

11. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Oh, I like him. Reminds me a lot of the "What we should aspire to" takes of Captain America rather then the "This is what we are" takes.

12. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

That's what I was thinking or killing him so that he couldn't snitch even if he wouldn't snitch.

13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sam doesn't enunciate it as a question.
    Thank you, corrected.
    If Time Bandits taught me anything, it's 'don't leave lumps of elemental evil laying around the place'.
    [​IMG]
    Thank you, corrected.

14. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if any of the Guardians of the Universe blame Paul for said movement. I think I would, in their shoes.

ChestBurster, Radiant Knight and Ardy like this.
  15. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I hope this means OL is really proactive about policing any anti-angel ammunition he uses.
    ...and also, that some poor angels may get shot with recycled ammo in the future, stained with the blood of the last divine being OL had a 'frank exchange of views' with before them...

16. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Extraneous ‘to’
    ’thing is’
    I think most of the times (maybe all of them) that he shot an angel with kaahuite were either in the Silver City or Hell, both of which are places that don’t really need help with cleanup.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Watch this create problems due to effectively moving all Kaahuite in the universe a foot to the right. Presumably there’s some holding an ancient evil somewhere

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Or maybe he just moved Uncle Sam slightly, and the universe glitching is just a side effect of the kaahuite resisting being moved.

20. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think that's more likely, personally.

21. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

And that shows that Uncle Sam really is the American ideal. Well, that and the fact he doesn't go for establishing a religion in particular despite the repeated comments about how religious the US is.

...it occurs to me that there's a non-zero chance of Uncle Sam joining the JL.

Exactly. The predatory practices don't care about the well being of others at all, and the vulture will eat weak allies as much as enemies. Think corporate takeovers and all the wheeling and dealing drama you hear about in the business world.

22. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Eh. That is a bit overblown. There is a lot of information on that that often goes overlooked. See there were 3 forts that protected Charleston at the time. Only one, Sumter, had guns that faced toward the city itself. The commander in charge of Fort Moultrie abandon his post there to take over Sumter 6 days after the South Carolina had left the union in December 1860. Supplies are low on the base however as it wasn't stocked for a siege. A resupply attempt (And an addition 200 troops) is made in January but Cadets from one of the other installations fire on the ship and force it to abandon the attempt. This stalemate continues until April when Lincoln tells CSA diplomats that he is going to resupply the fort forcing the issue. At this point the CSA asks the fort to surrender and is declined.

Here is where it gets interesting however as both sides TELL EACH OTHER EXACTLY WHERE THEY ARE GOING TO SHOOT. The Confederate forces shoot at the walls and knock down a flagpole and the Sumter forces ping shots off an iron roof. This goes on for a day and a half. After which Sumter surrenders. The defenders of the Fort with Zero Casualties or Injuries are allowed to immediately board a ship to take them to New York and fire a hundred gun salute. During the hundred gun salute a shell goes off prematurely killing two of the Union Soldiers.

So yeah the South did fire first but it was more like a scripted play then an attack.

23. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh, Goodie! NOW the Southern Granny can assume her rightful place in the supernatural hierarchy!

ChestBurster, Deadring, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sadly, that's not going to happen.

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

I mean... If someone killed Sam as well, maybe.

26. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Except from everyone else’s perspective the Kaahuite moved, which means all those perspectives must have moved relative to it, rather than Sam moving relative to the local frame of reference.

27. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

There can't be more than one nation spirit? What's The eagle then? And I know Lady Liberty jumped ship but doesn't that imply that there is more than just Uncle Sam. Let flesh out Patheon, in fact, we've already got the new Jack (Hope) Kennedy

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You know, now I'm wondering what Boss Smiley's opposite is.

We know that Reb was Sam's opposite, but what is the Heartlands version of Boss Smiley.

29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

American, so "defenseless"

I will reiterate: The American Civil War was not a war over morality or social structures. Neither side went to war to prove a point about the nature of mankind. And the idea that savages from foreign lands would be better off serving in the civilized world wasn't unique to the American South.

The American Civil War was "about slavery" in the way that With This Ring is "about greed." In both cases, that's only the source of the power. Having the orange light being the source of the SI's power is secondary to the story, not the primary motivator. This is evidenced by all of the side story segments where the SI doesn't have an orange ring and yet still pursues the same kinds of goals for the same kinds of reasons.

The South wanted to protect their power. The fact that their power came from slavery is secondary. The North could have chosen to put a high tariff on cotton and tobacco instead. The North could have pushed to increase the power of the Senate compared to the power of the House of Representatives. Those would have been effective at restricting the economic and/or political power of the South, but it wouldn't have given the North the appearance of the moral high ground -- indeed, it might have made the South's rebellion look more justifiable to outside observers. The South wasn't fighting to protect the institution of slavery because they thought slavery was a moral good (whether they actually thought so or not) -- they were fighting to protect their autonomy. Slavery was the battleground.

(As an aside, the North trying to take the appearance of the moral high ground may be why the South "shot first" -- the North certainly looked like they were intentionally goading the South to provoke a response that they could point at as casus belli.)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.