1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Accomplished Perfect Physician had past life experience as his source of medical information, on top of his sonic abilities for healing.I don't think he has a doctorate in his current life.

I think the ye old Hawks were archeologists and might have had doctorates before they got their past life memories back, but nothing medical there.

Don't know if Bruce ever got any paper trail from his global learning tour, but I'm sure he could challenge a few courses under the cowl to make him Dr. Batman. The Atom might have one in physics or nanotech, but the league IS a bit shy on higher education.

In the Dresden 'verse, Wizards tend to live a couple extra centuries compared to normal folk, so one of their medical experts goes back to school every couple decades to keep up to date on the latest in the trade. I could see some of the longer lasting members of the league taking that up as a hobby.

2. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Question, does Paragon have any interest in fixing Sally Sonic and if so, how? Only thing i can think of is having Alan and the Succubus turned love elemental shove Blue and Sapphire light into her.

Pretty sure John cut away the worst/most tainted by hell parts of his soul to create the Demon, putting them back would only make John a worse person.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not quite.

Constantine channeled the traits he liked least about himself into the golem that became Demon Constantine, so very similar but not quite the same thing.

Demon Constantine's affection for Kit was specifically one of those traits Constantine chose to pawn off on his golem, as I understand it. I think we can all agree that Constantine has character traits that are worse than that. But being with John endangered her and Constantine hated that, so he chose to jettison those feelings.

Just as presumably he chose the traits he thought would make the most trustworthy Lord of Order for Quinn, and yet John got kidnapped for his trouble.

4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I think it was explained Dr.Fate took the title doctor not because he was a healer but he wanted a title people would respect? Nabu probably could be a healer or medical professional if he tried though I don't think he is. As for Mist I have no idea.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

FTFY.

Prince Charon, Ardy and erebus1994 like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He's taking an intense course now. I'm not sure how long that would take for someone in his position, but he'll have a medical doctorate in a year or two.
    That goes over the line from 'staging an intervention' to 'assault and mind control'.
    As far as I remember it, there were two occasions in the comics where John offered to merge with the Demon.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may have given him the traits he thought would be best for a superhero, including doing what is necessary to stop evil and destruction.

Unfortunately Quinn got John's skills in that area and John has never been known for his mercy or willingness to back away from certain situations.

Plus, John was a Lord of Chaos and even in his mortal days he'd bring destruction everywhere, so Quinn may have thought that he was a threat.

Can't really disagree with him if that's what he thought.

I think Mist is an actual doctor, but I'm not fully sure.

kerleth, Ardy, Ngamer11 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

He doesn't have a doctorate in the modern western system, but early in his life he earned what was then the closest equivalent.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

If Nabu's portfolio as a god actually reflected his interests as opposed to just being randomly assigned by people making things up, then Nabu's interests would have been agriculture, writing, and natural philosophy.

So if Nabu got an actual doctorate it would probably be in agriculture, poetry, or physics.

Although i think Nabu having a doctorate in poetry the most amusing of the three options.

Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  10. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Weirdly, a degree in poetry might be perfect given the form mystical incantations often take.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Mist was a pretty good field healer from his younger days, though obviously he would probably be more focused on herbalism. But he might have some ingenious ways to handle things without medical supplies.

kerleth, Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  11. Bud-E

Also, Renegade conquered Africa does that timelines Doctor Mist not care that a foreign god is taking control of regular people, or is he planning something?

kerleth, Windona and DAT_NOOB like this.
  12. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Maybe he subtly approves of Grayven? or maybe he's worried that Grayven seems to kill everyone who harms him or his.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Bud-E and Ardy like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may still be opposed to step in.

True, renegade is a magical being but he's also improving the lives of the people instead of hurting them, so Mist may not see it as necessary to interfere.

mastermenthe, Bud-E and kerleth like this.
  14. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Considering what was done to her? I'd say it's more like a cross between an organ transplant and healing some fairly bad brain damage. Also, it is something that could be done after getting her consent even if that would be extremely difficult. But I'm not going to argue further.

Ok, I haven't read that much Hellblazer and am more if a Marvel fan.

15. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    08:32 GMT -5

I haven't had much cause to visit Boston. I'm not sure if that's odd. I've lived in New York and Happy Harbour and neither are all that far away, but… When you can move as fast as I can, there isn't much reason to visit a city just because it happens to be fairly close.

"Did they really keep the place open for him? I would have thought that once he didn't appear for a few decades someone would have tried to get him declared legally dead."

Alan shakes his head as we walk up the driveway of the Dodds manor.

"Wesley was always good with his money. I think this place went to a trust when he died, 'til someone found out for sure whether Sandy died or not. They paid to keep the place looking nice."

"Nice that they were so honest about it."

"I… Guess it was, but given the law firm involved I think it was probably more that they didn't pay it enough attention to consider trying anything on. And Jay and I kept an eye on the place."

"So what's he doing with himself?"

"Enrolled in college. He's doing a business management course."

"Brave of him. The culture shock must be pretty harsh."

"Yeah. That's why I'm keeping an eye on him. You know that… Ah, quote. 'The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there'."

"And the future's a foreign country where no one knows who I am. Hartley, yeah."

"Not everyone can just drop everything and cope with living somewhere… Foreign, quite as easily as you did."

"I grew up watching so much American television that it's barely foreign."

"Oh yeah? What about all the super heroes?"

"Not a new concept, either. And… You know how I complain about some… Behaviours that exist within our-."

"Yeah, I… Did pick that up."

"If superheroism had made any change to the underlying mechanisms of our society, I'd-. I might have had more trouble with it."

Alan smiles as he steps up to the front door and knocks the door knocker three times.

"So you should be grateful that we're a bunch of bums."

"I don't know. The learning curve would have been steeper, but I think I'd have adapt-."

The door swings open, a… Professionally dressed Sanderson Hawkins standing in the doorway. He smiles as he sees who it is.

"Good morning, sir."

Alan does a sort of sigh-laugh. "You don't need to call me 'sir', Sandy."

He looks mildly bashful. "Force of habit, Green…" Alan pantomimes an affronted expression. "Alan. And… Paul, isn't it?"

"You can call me 'sir' if you want. Good morning."

He steps back, opening the passage into his house. "Please, come on in. What brings you here?"

"Super hero business, son." Alan walks into the hall area and I follow him, closing the front door behind me. "I don't suppose you've given it any thought?"

"Ah, gee, Alan. I haven't-." He looks away, wincing. "I just said 'gee', didn't I?"

"Yeah, you did."

"I've got to stop doing that. The other fellahs in class think I sound like a-. Ah, like their grandfathers."

"There are worse things to sound like."

"And what do the girls think you sound like?"

He shifts awkwardly. "They… Ah. They're pretty crude about it, actually. I don't… I don't really like talking to them."

"You need to start spending time with a better class of people."

"It's not all modern girls. The girls at my church group are really nice. It's just…"

"Standards of dress and behaviour have fallen quite a long way, haven't they?"

"I-I don't want to be that judgemental. You…" He looks to Alan. "You said you wanted to talk about super hero business? I've fixed up all of Wesley's old things." He smiles. "Even the car, which took some work I don’t mind telling you."

Alan nods. "You used any of it?"

"Well, not in the field. But I've tested it all; it all works. Why? Is something going on?"

"A friend of ours is being held prisoner in the Tower of Fate, and we think the guy wearing Nabu's helmet is up to no good. Our plan is to creep in to the Tower through the Dream."

He looks decidedly unhappy at the prospect.

"Do you..? Need my help with that?"

"We don’t need it, but Doctor Mist thinks that having you along would be real helpful. Finding our way through is going to be pretty difficult."

"Thing is… You know how I can turn into sand now?"

Alan nods. "Yeah? We've all seen stranger things than that."

"I know, but I…" He looks decidedly awkward for a moment. "Normally, it isn't a problem. But when there's a lot going on, sometimes I.. change back without meaning to."

"Okay? I can see how that's a little awkward, but we're trying to avoid fighting anyway."

"No, I mean… I change. My clothes don't."

"Oh."

"Sanderson, we're all men of the world here. I doubt it's anything we haven't seen before."

"Sure, but… But I don’t-. I'm just not comfortable… Like that."

"Okay… Um. Do you lose everything when you turn into sand, or just some things?"

"I took the lenses of Wesley's old goggles with me once, but I'm not sure how that really helps."

"'Took with' as in..?"

"I was touching them when I changed, then when I changed back they were still in my hand."

"Okay, well, we don't need to rush off. How about we experiment with different materials and see if we can make you some clothes you can transform with. No obligation."

He smiles.

"Gee, thanks Paul. That's real nice of-. I did it again."

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"they were"

Plus it's now Blue Lantern.

Don't, it will inflate his ego.

Wwll they're kinda right.

"prisoner"

"along"

"really"

"We've"

"changed"

Don't worry about it.

17. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Another Cold Morning. Transmet #8. Classic. Also, I love older vernacular. I say willikers and gee and neato all the time.

18. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

Man, Sandy is adorable.

19. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

The word I’d use is disarming. My hackles are raised, Mr Zoat! The more wholesome moments that get planted early in an arc, the more heartbreak will be harvested in the climax!

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hey, maybe he had a laywer friend who kept things together for him. I'm sure he'd met plenty of folks in his night work. If he was anything like the Shadow who inspired him, then surely he had a few discreet allies...

Surprising amount of forethought. Guess he just knew Sandy might need such help one day.

In other words, there wasn't that much money involved. :rolleyes:

Oooh, boy. I hope his classmates aren't too wild...

Better than a forgotten world. It's why time travel stories require so, so much suspension of disbelief. Linguistic drift, cultural drift, fashions... So many issues to be wary of.

Still a bit salty about your previous experiences with time travellers, OL?

As if... Probably the first thing anyone from a world without a solid concept of superheroic fiction might be confused at would be all the people in odd clothing.

Hey, at least you never wore your underwear on the outside, Alan. Though the jury's still out on the shirt. :p

Sometimes... You just have to say 'fuck it' and roll with the madness.

At least the DC Earth is still reasonably sane, unlike some Superheroic settings.

Old instincts die hard, eh, chum?

Remind me, how old is Sandy here? in physical age, rather than chronological? Eighteen or nineteen? Only natural to defer to your old mentor's friends like that...

Heh. No respect, eh, OL?

Hey, don't be ashamed. As long as you aren't calling guys 'chum' or women as 'dames', you're cool.

Well, hopefully they aren't the sort to use 'fuck' as punctuation, I hope.

I'm sure he has his fans. Fella's handsome.

Or more mature ones. Ones who aren't just twelve-year-olds in adult bodies... :oops:

Watch out for those girls, Sandy, they can be the naughtiest of all...

I'm sure he hasn't had time to go patrolling lately, Alan.

And talk about tossing Sandy in at the deep end.

I mean, you are a kind of sand-man... :p

...Ah, the old 'Invisible Man' conundrum, eh? Mundane clothing plus exotically mutable biology equals...

Heck your classmates probably consider it a cool party trick, huh?

I'm honestly amazed some bright spark hasn't created 'Unstable Molecule' clothing or something, that can adapt.

...Unless there's something you want to ask someone about, biology-wise.

And here we see OL going into 'fix it' mode. :D I'm amazed he's lasted this long.

...Let me guess: Glass lenses?

Probably something involving silicate-based polymers.

Entirely understandable, Sandy.

Boy, what a nice guy. Let's hope nothing bad happens to him, huh? At least OL can hopefully assist with that little 'wardrobe malfunction' issue. Would make it kind of hard to go out in costume, when one moment of sanding out tends to leave you 'out of uniform', as it were. I can't imagine how many parties he's ducked out of after an 'incident'...

Double Space.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Marvel with its perpetually insane civilian population.

It's always the quiet ones.

redleo37, mastermenthe, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  22. Bud-E

Fingers crossed, knock on wood, pray that Sandy doesn't die on this mission.

23. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Sandy also is an important figure in the reformation of the JSA (and this Earth could benefit from that I think quite a bit).

Cuchulin, redleo37 and Prince Charon like this.
  24. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

At worst they could get him some martian clothing.

25. Splinterface

Splinterface Getting sticky.

Seeing Paul with the ‘the 1950s were so much better’ is odd because usually he’s a lot more forward thinking. Has he done the ‘Pepperidge farms’ bit before but I’ve just missed it?

26. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Just because you're big on personal freedom and self actualization doesn't mean you enjoy people being rude or modern clothing styles which are in many ways deliberately trying to look trashy or unkempt.

27. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting sticky.

Hoo boy, I sure hope he didn't accidentally transform during his classes. It would explain the crudeness he's experiencing maybe a little bit, the language drifts and some words don't exactly have the same connotations as they had before.

How many time have we seen wardrobe malfunction in this fic? I recall the Superman bum reveal one, or maybe I'm misremembering that?

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

29. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hopefully not J'onn J'aarkn‘s clothing, even if Paul could afford them from Ebay or collectors.

30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

In his sand form he just looks like a mass of sand, right? So why can’t they just turn around when he transforms back and hand him some clothes from subspace or something? Is he really that embarrassed about it?

Otto von Saurion likes this.