1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"fastest thing"

2. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

1. I love the fallout stuff. It's very interesting.
    2. If you keep blue-balling us on Constantine there's going to be a riot in this thread.

MasterG, w34v3r, Grek and 22 others like this.
  3. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

I'd be honestly happy to never see Fallout or Grayven again.

Everything else is great.

4. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

I still don't get how Fallout Jade didn't win that game show. She was a President and everything.

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the joys of having the biggest technological advantage in the wastelands. But limited ability to maintain and expand on that advantage. And this way, he reduces the odds of one of his most valuable assets being wrecked when the protagonist's curse comes calling.

So, crazy, but manageably so. And with any luck, she'll die before long of those injuries and they can work with someone with more brains.

Riding back seat in a flier probably isn't the most comfortable option, but it's fast. And reasonably private.

I wonder how many side-plots that would defuse. Probably ease a few tensions, at least.

I have no idea who any of these people are, but I admire how carefully he's juggling all the balls, at least.

A remarkable new era of peace and tranquillity for the Wasteland, it seems. For five minutes, at least.

Don't kid yourself, Krono. There's always going to be work as long as you enjoy sticking your nose into other people's business.

And that's a good reason to go sticking your nose in.

Still always more comfortable amongst the first people you chose to make yours, hmm?

I wonder if the pre-war culture could ever have produced something like 'Cheers'. Given how far back the minor divergences go... Would their world have suffered the economic downturn the Eighties did in our world?

And speaking of timelines... This takes place before the whole Ohio road-trip, doesn't it? <Checks threadmarks> By about two months. So he really did push that bill through...

No time wasted, eh? Smooth piloting.

Oh, boy. Here comes the ribbing.

Expect to never live that down, Krono. At least amongst those communities that saw it.

Well, so much for that good mood you had going, huh? :p

Not even on the ground two minutes, and you're already feeling the shit tickling your chin.

Now, I know an average man's first instinct might be to flee, Krono, but resist it!

So, does Daddy have the shovel or the shotgun today? :V

Well, at least marrying his daughter wouldn't offend anyone.

"And any recordings of the broadcast will bear that out..." Not that most people in the wastelands would have the ability to record it... More's the pity, as I bet it would become an urban legend before long.

After all, some of these guys have funny ideas about the proper way to manage a slowly-redeveloping country. They're going to need someone to remind them about things like basic human rights...

And once they're aligned, the latter would fall in line as well, given a similar little greasing of the diplomatic wheels. I assume they're not crazy psychopaths or something...

And what his little girl wants, she gets, huh? Such a nice father.

Ah, a good old-fashioned girl, huh? Sadly, Krono is about as dense as neutronium about these things...

Just imagine the stories you'll tell your kids about this day. Heck, with psychic powers, you'll even be able to share it with them... :p

I mean, it's not you had any plans for the next few weeks, right?

And so Krono's legend grows a little more. :D I can just imagine the tales that will be told of his adventures with the chief's daughter a century from now. Women will swoon at the romance, men will grin excitedly at the explosions... The perfect feel-good story for everyone! Meanwhile, back in the main plot, the boys will hopefully have an easier time with some local assistance. Let's just hope Quinn hasn't been paying attention...

6. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

On #2, nah. Nope. Mr Zoat has our butts on the edge of pur seats, in perpetuity, until Paul’s final adventure. Pitchforks and torches are taboo in this region!
    Appreciation is mandatory!

Ardy, Relyt33, mastermenthe and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Um.
    Ah well.

Ouroboros certainly won't join the Ammonites.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Relyt33 and 5 others like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I really don't feel like it's right to call this Fallout given it's a taking place in the universe of a fan game that has very little connection to the actual Fallout setting.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Relyt33 likes this.
  9. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

So much pointless and cringe-worthy strife could be avoided if more people understood that.

10. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

People instinctively don't want things to happen.
    They want things to be.

Happening = change = fear = bad

If retroactive causality became real, the human instinct would be perfectly at peace to the point of people laying down and simply dying from despair born of contentment.

11. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

I can enjoy Fallout chapters like this, where you could basically blur out all of the names and setting details and still have a comprehensible chapter just based on character interaction.

Most of the time... yeah, it's just "Blech, another Fallout chapter, skim, done." Never played the games, zero knowledge of the setting, and these chapters haven't inspired me to change that.

Feels like the Fallout chapters also get a lot more into the nitty-gritty setting details than some of the other crossovers.

Like, I basically know jack-shit about the He-Man/She-Ra settings beyond vague osmosis from the 80s, but those chapters really don't seem to demand more than that to be enjoyed.

With the Fallout chapters, feels like you honestly need to know who all the setting's players are and be emotionally invested in <Faction X> succeeding and <NPC Y> getting <outcome Z> instead of, presumably whatever happened in the game... and all of those details are just Charlie Brown-esque wahwah noises to me.

But, eh, I guess if some people are enjoying it, skipping an occasional day (or week) is just the price you pay sometimes. There are certainly parts of this fic that I enjoy quite a bit that others don't--the Grayven parts, for example.

12. Mr Zoat

I've never played an actual Fallout game either. Though if Vegas ever gets remastered I might give it a go.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

These alt Paul parts are making me hope the Future Paul in Avatar: Legend of Korra that was teased earlier in the thread will be coming soon. I can't wait to see Tenzin's reaction when he realizes that Paul really isn't an Airbender but, from his perspective at least, a powerful spirit. One that interacted with a young Zuko and seemingly turned Azula into a spirit as well.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and DAT_NOOB like this.
  14. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

as someone who has, Elder Mcnara would not say “ain’t” as he does in this chapter, think New England bookworm/politician despite living on the west coast

and I certainly enjoy the fallout chapters

Razorfloss and Assblaster5000 like this.
  15. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

It's not as good as 3. I'd recommend a remastered Fallout 3, just because with that one you can do real exploration.

16. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sacrilege of the highest order, Fallout 3 is only held back from being the worst Fallout game by 76 (and 4, at least for main games, depending on personal opinion) existing. Its only saving grace is that you can go where ever you want and do all ten of its actually interesting quests as soon as you find them, if you find them. Which is about the exact opposite of what most old Fallout fans actually want.

17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Yeah, old school fallout fans say that, but they're looking through Rose tinted lenses.

Cuchulin, WereDragon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  18. Assblaster5000

I've watched that video before, and while I can respect John's opinions on Fallout 3, I also completely disagree. The fact that much of it is based purely off of his personal opinions and feelings on the matter (which is just what I remember of it mind you, it's been awhile and I could be wrong about the quantity) hardly makes for a good objective analysis on what makes good Fallout, or RPG in general.

People are free to like Fallout 3, but to basically every Fallout fan that's had to suffer Bethesda's cruel "mercies" it's god awful and has so little actually good content that it doesn't bear thinking about.

Admittedly my smack-talk is mostly light(-ish) ribbing on my part, but the game just doesn't appeal to a large section of the fanbase who crave a return to form, because as far as they're concerned the first two Fallouts are easily some of the best RPGs ever made, and only New Vegas comes close to capturing what made the series so wonderful to them back in the day.

Not saying they're objectively right or anything, just that they'd prefer a Baulder's Gate or Diablo to a new Action-Adventure game that only barely tries to be an RPG anymore.

Cuchulin, Vorian and megamiaouh like this.
  19. megamiaouh

megamiaouh Not too sore, are you?

I've never managed to make it trough this video, he and the people who agree with him clearly don't care about the original games, which is fine, but then they nitpick, fabricate and lie about them in order to defend 3 because that was their first fallout game which isn't fine and there's been a few videos dissecting Many A true Nerd's lackluster 'defense' of 3 tough only one survived to this day but it's a doozy:

I don't think this is the place to argue about this so let me just say that liking a poor sequel is fine, liking a bad game is fine, but you don't need to justify it or pretend like it's a good sequel or game.
    In a lot of people's opinion F3 is a good game from their childhood, in a lot of old fallout fans opinions it's a poor sequel and in some it's just a bad sequel and bad game.

There is some concrete, objective measures of what makes a good or bad sequel and/or game and by those in my humble opinion Fallout 3 fails, the map is the worst that Bethesda ever made, there are some mechanics that are broken or outright useless, the game is ugly even for the time and the studio that made it, and the "Fallout" in 3 feels like a parody at worst and a Fallout theme park at best.

That doesn't mean people are wrong to love the game, I sure loved some massive pieces of shit that I played as a kid I just don't pretend they were diamonds.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This explains literally everything...

21. Mr Zoat

Elder MacNamara isn't in this segment. That was a Brotherhood pilot from the Mojave Brotherhood. The 'under' bit is to confirm that he's in charge of them rather than Hardin or Elijah.
    I'll consider it if I can side with the Enclave, and don't get auto-kidnapped in The Pit.

22. Assblaster5000

You can commit genocide for Eden by making Project Purity kill anyone with radiation (and maybe FEV?) altered genes, and I think you have the option of just murdering your way into The Pit, but there is no siding with The Enclave in the sense of joining their faction. No matter what you have to fight through them to get to Project Purity. Well, "fight" in the sense that you watch Liberty Prime turn them into scattered atoms and maybe shot a couple of them.

Pretty sure The Pit thing isn't intended though.

RichardWhereat and Xmaster3000 like this.
  23. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Everything I know about Fallout 3 comes from this:
    [​IMG]

24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Azula became a spirit?

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  25. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I don't know anything about Fallout but find that a dating sim robot's kidnapping match making spree might have made a good alliance funny.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

No, but that's the closest equivalent that the world of Avatar has to her becoming a member of the OLC.

Xmaster3000 and Prince Charon like this.
  27. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

obligatory "lol, I don't want to argue but it is shit fight me" callout post, but whatever, you're also right about this not being the place

Mostly I just want to wonder about what compels a man to make an eight hour video rebutting some other nerd's two hour video about why their nuclear vidjagames suck, actually. This is a level beyond "touch grass" and may present a compelling moral case for the necessity of wedgies.

Cuchulin and RichardWhereat like this.
  28. Assblaster5000

The same thing as what causes people to make documentaries on things they like or why Samuel Jackson had an anime made I'd imagine, unrelenting passion for a given subject that they unashamedly love.

Bruh, you're reading a story about a guy who can solve all the problems because he really, really wants to. One that's been going for, like, five plus years now, you have zero room to tell people to "touch grass."

Lord Ernest and Prince Charon like this.
  29. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Saying 'touch grass' in an online discussion is just a way of admitting to have lost the argument while pretending not to have with a feeble insult.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  30. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Not the poster, whatever lunatic made an 8 hour video on the subject of "nuh uh" is the one who ought touch grass and/or be wedgied for the greater good. megamiaouh's opinions are entirely heterodox

Cuchulin likes this.