1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

trends

says

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, as I haven't read the comic.
    Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  3. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Ah, I do love Paul coming back to the Leaguers and Team eventually. And it is sweet that Dr. Sivana is trying.

That reminds me, Ghiata is on Earth. Wonder how she's doing.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Of course! Ghiata should become the Sivana marriage counselor. 10/10 will destroy the Earth.

5. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

90% of this fic doesnt exist in Earth-16.

Vorian, Ardy, Windona and 3 others like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

21st November 2012
    08:02 GMT +2

"John, are you..? Sure about this?"

John reaches into his coat and pulls out a slowly charging crystal.

"Yeah. Synchronicity wave. Felt it the moment I saw Supergirl."

Oliver raises an eyebrow, a gesture that's not easy to see with a domino mask on. "I would have thought a pilgrim would avoid someplace full of demons. Or is this more of a challenge?"

John looks slightly puzzled, and I-. Oh.

"The Witch-Hunter Abednego called himself a synchronicity pilgrim, but that's a term I've only heard used by his people. And it doesn't have to be a spiritual journey in the classical religious sense."

"Oh?" Oliver looks at John curiously. "So how does it work?"

"Well, it's a bit…" He takes a breath as he slips the crystal back into his pocket. "A bit of self-hypnosis, a bit of reaching out to the magic around you and letting it guide you. You need some idea where you're trying to get, but at the same time you can't force how it takes you there."

"Can anyone learn it?"

"Anyone can learn magic. But there's usually good reasons not to."

Dinah and Alan stroll back in from having a word with Dr. Sivana, neither of them exactly looking happy about things.

"Problem?"

Alan shakes his head. "No, he's clean. It's just…"

Dinah exhales sharply. "It feels like he's getting off lightly."

"He wasn't being punished anyway. And this way the world benefits from his work. Though probably not from his analysis of romantic comedies."

Alan shakes his head again, but this time there's a small smile. "It's a shame more mad scientists aren't like him. Oh, how's that..? Therapy workshop Ted Kord was running coming along?"

"It's hard to find evidence of crimes not committed, but it's turning a profit and there haven't been any 'incidents' yet."

Dinah regards me curiously. "I'm a little surprised that you're not more..."

Alan raises his eyebrows. "Aggressive?"

Oliver holds out his right hand, palm up. "Vengeful?"

"Psychotically murderous?"

"You did boast that you'd killed more people than anyone else in human history."

"But Mister Crock hasn't tried to get in contact with his family, has he? Point is, I don't see any point in killing people who are straightening themselves out. My kill count comes from people in lawless regions of space who are perfectly fine being evil."

I step towards the machine. A quick scan shows that it's live, and similar enough to other similar devices that I've scanned that I'm confident that it does what it's supposed to.

Oliver looks around. "We're not bringing Kara with us?"

"I.. thought it best to make sure.. that they…"

He nods. "That they want her back."

"Basically." I press the helpfully labelled 'on' button and stand back as the space in the arch of machinery turns matte black. "Who wants to go first?"

John pulls another crystal out of his pocket and throws it into the blackness. It disappears as soon as it passes the aperture.

"Feels like it worked. And it feels-" He steps forward. "-like the place to g-."

He vanishes into the void.

Oliver watches the black rectangle for a moment. "Ah, how do we know it worked?"

I close my eyes, feeling for-.

I open my eyes, nodding. "He still exists. I can feel his route from here. Follow me."

I step into the blackness, and while there's a moment of disorientation, when I reappear a moment later I note with satisfaction that that was the smoothest transition that I've had from one of these things. John's just a little way ahead, picking up his crystal and holding it up to his face to study. We've.. come out in a woodland, it's… Huh, Yellowstone Park. Sky looks clear, and I'd say it's.. late morning, probably.

Didn’t Demon Superman hit Yellowstone?

"John, are we-?"

"Huh." Oliver steps out of thin air behind me, looking around. "I was expecting something a little more… Beat up."

"I think we might have a problem."

"What, Sivana got the-" Dinah walks through behind him as he takes a more careful look around. "-wrong Earth?"

"Um. It.. doesn't look like a trap"

"Go home and try again?"

"No." John shakes his head. "This is where we're supposed to be."

Oliver smiles. "The wizard's being all ominous and cryptic. Must be Tuesday."

"Also, it's not going to switch for a return journey for an hour. It's the one drawback of this machine."

Dinah tries her arm computer. "Can't find the local GPS."

Ring, scan the… Ah, scan just Yellowstone. Just in case someone can detect my scans.

Compliance.

I generate a map construct in the middle of our group. "Looks pretty normal. A few craters are in different places; looks like Morrow didn't build a base-."

"Alert! Incoming-!

The sun goes out, and my map shudders as it adjusts to fit-. Two giant-

Oliver puts an arrow on string. "Oh hell no."

-humanoids-.

I look up at the giant Amazo androids glowering down at us.

"Stand down, metahumans!"

And between them, a normal-sized woman in a grey uniform.

"You will be taken into custody, at which point it will be determined whether charges will be brought against you in addition to the charges for operating an unlicensed teleportation system."

Ah. Yes, that's…

"Let.. me just go and talk to her."

Oliver has an arrow on string, but he's keeping it pointed down.

"Orange, those are giant Amazos."

"Yes, and they're not attacking. Having overwhelming force that can be deployed against serious threats is a very sensible thing to do. But since we're not here to fight anyone, we should be able to talk things out."

I float up into the air, making sure to keep my constructs to myself.

"Hello! I'm-."

She snarls. "A Green Lantern. You're coming with-" She lunges towards me. "-me!"

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  7. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Sooo wrong earth or has Mr. Terrific been real busy?

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Something tells me that they're going to learn that Orange Lanterns fight a little differently from Green Lanterns.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

John is...unique.

"snarls. "A Green"

Move the A closer to the "

Ardy, Wheenesss, Mr Zoat and 4 others like this.
  10. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

Might this be the Universe where green lanterns had a civil war against the Guardians and they created the Golden Lantern Corps?

11. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

first of all, is she color blind? I count one orange lantern and one blue lantern. Unless Hal came I missed it.

12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Don't recognise the continuity. I also don't believe thst Sivana made a mistake or that we've seen this team composition before.

This should be interesting.

13. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Is she color blind or something?

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Intercepter is Supergirl's identity from Trinity, so yeah.

Unless she's just a woman in a suit, but in that case I would have thought he'd have used the JSA version from Elseworld's Finest Batgirl and Supergirl.

Interceptor is from the alternate Tarot continuity from Trinity.

An alternate timeline with no Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman. Their stand ins as the local "trinity" were Green Arrow, Black Adam, and Tomorrow Woman.

However since that world still had plenty of superheroes and wasn't Days of Future Past DC edition, I'm guessing he's either made this specific setting up or cobbled it together piecemeal.

15. RogueUnit

RogueUnit Getting sticky.

Probably recognizes the type of power and may think he's in disguise.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, something of a portable protective charm, eh? A little battery cell to drain off the excess order and Chaos? Exactly the sort of thing I could see Doctor Balewa working out to allow John a little measure of travel capability. And no doubt warded to keep track of him.

I wonder if the current crop of rookie heroes signing up with various groups are getting courses in things like 'Masked Body Language 101' thanks to things like this. Stuff like face-concealing helmets may hide your identity, after all, but they do also hide simple gestures we take for granted...

In John's case, it's kind of a shamanistic thing, sure, but in the sense that he lets it take him where shit's fucked so he can fix it.

"It's a Zen thing, man." Sounds right up Ollie's alley, really.

...Like demons. Or fearing for the fate of your soul.

I'm amazed Thaddeus Senior actually hung around to talk to them. I guess that global pardon's coming in handy.

I mean, the man would not take conventional punishment the way the average person would. His brain just works too differently. One version escaped from jail by doing math.

Tinkers gotta Tinker, brother. I suppose the hard part is keeping them from monologuing at each other, arguing, and swearing to rain vengeance down with death-rays... :p

No, no, do finish that question. I'd like to hear what you were going to say?

Ah, the joy of being amongst friends who know you so well. :D

And after the first couple of times, most people know not to pull any shit with him, so he hasn't had to commit any atrocities recently.

...Do you want to bring the PTSD Kryptonian with you to the place that caused her suffering? Yes, I suspect carrying a live grenade would work out about as well.

There's that, too. They may not take happily to her return.

John, please, let's not poke the barely-comprehensible technology? Do you want to be smeared across 5252 universes?

...Okay, either he's really high on synchronicity, or that little episode gave his sense of self-preservation a severe unbalancing.

Helpful. Orange Light Shaman levels coming in so handy in this playthrough.

...Dangit, John's poking the portal fudged it up, didn't it?

Remember the little thing with Red Tornado and his siblings? Imagine if that had gone worse. And then double it. This is not good.

That would be a dreadful insult to his scientific pride you just uttered.

That's a good plan.

And somewhere else, a Lizard smiles smugly. :p Why is it always Tuesday?

If it were Earth-666, I would say that's because Rakkar probably knocked the satellites offline. o_O Otherwise, why the heck would you expect an alternate universe to have the same software protocols, much less any GPS network?

Yeah, let's not go crazy here.

Okay, so... Take a seat, grab a Soder Cola out of subspace and wait?

Welp, someone's got Marvel envy. Sentinels, anyone?

...Oh, that's just disturbing. And they're still wearing the giant two-tone leotards? Someone has no taste...

Well, at least they aren't letting the giant super-robots operate autonomously.

...Oh, this is off to a great start.

...Ollie. Keep in mind the threats present here? Let's not start any trouble?

Given she just mentioned 'additional charges' - probably something like existing as 'unlicensed metahumans' - I don't think this is going to end civilly.

Sorry, wrong colour, but that does offer a few leads as to where they might be. Like Lothlo suggested, is this the Inviolate universe? On the other hand, OL should recognise it, having been there before.

Well, I get the feeling Lanterns aren't welcome on this Earth. Nor any metahuman not employed or imprisoned by the government, at a glance. Wonder if the differences in abilities will throw them for a loop or not? At any rate, this bodes so well for how the episode is about to go. Thank you, John, for this little side-trip. :rolleyes: Bet that crystal he tossed inadvertently knocked the portal's destination off a few parallels...

17. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Can't believe we are apparently getting even more Supergirls. We'll hit double digits soon at that rate.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

According to John, this is where they're supposed to be, so I guess the Synchronicity Wave or whatever brought them here.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So like a dog being chipped?

Works for me.

Maybe he can also add a function that sends a shock of pain whenever he does something stupid.

Granted, it's likely that John will either develop an immunity to it or the thing will run out of power.

Or fuck it up in more ways.

Or getting addicted to it.

And I'm guessing it's magic in this setting.

He probably does.

Man's got a lot of self-hatred.

Because most of the universes they've dealt with seem to be very similar, so it's possible that they have the same things.

Seeing as they're apparently supposed to be there, they may need to fix this place.

Cuchulin, TopHatWearer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The SI is wondering that. She's using the term to mean 'Maltusian-affiliate' rather than 'someone with a green power ring'.

21. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

"I'm the Orange Lantern that helped stop Superman."

Cuchulin and TopHatWearer like this.
  22. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Orange Lantern's fight, Green Lantern's entertain and occasionally (and accidentally) win conflicts sometimes.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Zoat... You really shouldn't link to the comic version of Amazo when you're going to nerf them into Canon fodder.

Cuchulin, TopHatWearer and Minars90 like this.
  24. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  25. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I certainly get the feeling they're not on Earth 666. Now we just have to figure out if the system of handling metas makes sense or it's one of those 'we decided to be controlling rather than smart' situations.

26. PJ739

PJ739 Getting sticky.

I just saw The Sandman and now i picture Paul becoming Desire of The Endless and asking people like this:

27. Mr Zoat

No, as the SI wasn't in Trinity.

28. StandupSitdown

StandupSitdown Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Can someone refresh my memory what Therapy Workshop did Ted Kord create? And possibly link to when it's mentioned?

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think it is the think tank that Paul encouraged Ted to start in an effort to get both sane geniuses and mad scientists to use their genius for beneficial purposes.

30. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

‍♂️How many times is the belief he is a green lantern going to be played in this story? I mean the one species is suppose to be color blind, but that is what the lantern icons are for!

Edit: on other news, why is QQ changing my facepalm emoji into a male symbol?