1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, doesn't Atlantis hate Poseidon?

Otherwise not sure what other God he could be serving.

Batman purpose is outright stated to scare criminals away from crime... And it didn't really work.

Gotham crime got WORSE, sure he got rid of almost all the Mafia, but it got replaced by crazies like the Joker, Scarecrow, Two Face, the Riddler and so on.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Cuchulin likes this.
  2. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Sure inspired the heck out of 'em, didn't he?

IsActuallyBatman and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure why they'd do that since their capital is named after him.

I don't think Arion is really into serving gods.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm not sure but I think that comment might be a reference to Aquaman's feud with Poseidon and his son Triton in the comics.

Aquaman ended up killing Triton (after he attacked Atlantis and mass murdered who knows how many Atlanteans), and Poseidon and Aquaman truly loathe each other.

When Triton killed Poseidon Aquaman went to Hades and convinced him to resurrect Poseidon playing off of that fact. "If you resurrect Poseidon because I asked, Poseidon will know for the rest of eternity that he owes his life to someone he truly hates and who hates him."

Hades "Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter."

So apparently Hades thinks Poseidon is an annoying asshole too.

Dolphin and Garth were not impressed with this plan. "You let Triton murder you on the off chance that some ancient surface myth was actually true? What the ever loving @#$#$, Arthur!"

5. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

That's at least debatable, no? He got rid of the most organized crime, the Mafia (Maggia is Marvel, by the way) and corruption. The Police isn't in the criminals' payroll anymore and, besides Arkham, if you go to prison in Blackgate you pay your sentence (unless you get transferred to Belle Reve or for some reason an author needs to pull a criminal out).

There is still petty crime enough to make someone in Metropolis not want to visit, I suppose, and the particular crazy in the city is extreme. But I don't know if I would call that worse.

The main reason Gotham doesn't get better is because of status quo and the most greased revolving door in existance, which is Arkham. Or at least that's how I see it.

6. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What does the Light think that "The Screen" provides to the group? Grayven takes credit for all of Lex's assets plus any political influence in the US, Africa and China.

7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Thanks to the crazies, there is more deaths and there is all the times supervillains hurt the city in ways that before just didn't happen.

The Mafia was a cancer to the city, that's true, but it keep the costumed crazies away. Even if a Joker like criminal had tried things before Batman, the Mafia would just have got him killed.

8. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Didn't Joker specifically target the mob/mafia at times just because?

9. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That was AFTER Batman had mostly destroyed them. By then they were both less powerful and and desperately trying to survive plus still having to deal with Batman.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Recent comic suggests that Penguin at least would have gone straight or at least left Gotham if he didn't have something to prove in terms of vengeance against Batman.

11. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Don't be ridiculous, DC stopped making comics years ago.

12. Threadmarks: Uncomplicated Good Works (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

15th December 2012
    08:53 GMT -5

"So why exactly have you been following Superman around?"

"That's a fairly deep rabbit hole, Ms. Lane. Are you sure you want to know?"

She looks unimpressed.

"I think I'll cope."

"Alright. I'm trying to learn classical superheroism. I grew up during the dark age of comics, which means that I'm more familiar with grim and gritty superpeople, or deconstructions of classic archetypes. I myself have managed to be merely ruthlessly utilitarian, but I've still killed an awful lot of people."

"And you want Superman to teach you how to be a real hero?"

"Ask the people of Tamaran whether or not I'm a real hero. No, I want Superman to teach me… How to be a nice hero."

"Uh-huh. How's it going?"

I look up to where Kal-El is sitting on the edge of a building in the Thinker pose, eyes glowering directly at the LexCorp building.

"I… Think it's going badly wrong.""Um, can we have a.. private talk about this?"

"Let's."

One transition later and we appear in my facility in Bir Tawil.

15th December 2012
    14:53 GMT +1

And now she's glaring openly.

"What did you say to him?"

"Just… Pointed out the opportunity costs involved with certain forms of… Civic mindedness." Um. "Look this place is pretty secure, but do you want to do this inside..?"

She strides past me through the heavy metal doors into the interior of the facility. I wince and then follow her, signalling the facility's system to engage intermediate security measures.

"How bad-?"

"I have-" She wheels to face me. "-never heard him doubt himself like he did yesterday."

"Sorry."

"Then why the hell did you do it?!"

"Because I wanted to know why he does what he does and it sounds like he just never considered going it a different way. I was.. sort of hoping he had a better reason than that."

"Jesus."

"If you're familiar with the Book of Job, I think that the correct Christian response to-."

"Stop. Talking."

I raise my right hand towards her, palm facing her. Then I put it over my mouth.

"Do you really want to see what happens if S-. If Clark adopts your way of doing things?"

I shake my head.

"Someone doesn't need to be Thomas Aquinas to be a good person!" I nod. "So what do you want?"

I stand there for a mom-.

She rolls her eyes. "You can talk."

"Have you and him..? Talked about your different lifespans?"

She breathes in, and then sharply breathes out.

"Yes. Once. I know that… Forty years from now I'll be an old woman and he'll look pretty much the same. And that in eighty years from now I'll be dead and he'll still look the same."

"Actually, human women can make a hundred and twenty-."

"A hundred and ten."

"Um." Her face hardens. "That too. Um. But… Clark Kent will look the same. People.. will notice. Unless you plan on moving and cutting ties with everyone in ten years or so. Clark Kent… He's always going to be Clark Kent. I mean, his identity. But 'Clark Kent, well-intentioned but bumbling reporter'? That has a lifespan. So in eighty… A hundred years, does he pick a new name and a new town and set up a new secret identity? Or… Something else?"

"Hooooooo boy."

"See, this is what I do. What I can't stop doing. Think bloody awkward thoughts and ask bloody awkward questions."

"He hasn't told me."

"Think he's.. thought about it?"

"No."

"Think he should?"

"I.. think it can wait. God, I never… I never put it in that sort of perspective."

"I can Danner you, if you like. That way you can experience it for yourself."

"Ask me again when I've got grey hair."

"I can Danner-." She glares, and I think it's supposed to be a fake glare but she isn't quite in the right headspace. "Seriously, though. If it's all about personal connections for him… Small town spirit or… Something, then extending your lifespan could solve some pretty major problems."

I sigh.

"Yes. Once. Before you gave me the Danner Formula. We knew that forty years in the future I'd be an old woman he'd look pretty much the same. And that in eighty years I'd be dead and he'd still look the same."

"Actually, human women can make a hundred and twenty-."

"A hundred and ten."

"Um." Her face hardens. "That too."

"I never asked how long I actually have."

"No one knows. Hugo Danner is a hundred and twenty, and if he dyed his hair he could pass for forty. So he might die at three hundred, or… Maybe not."

"And what about Clark?"

"Karsta Wor-Ul looked old and had arthritis, but she already looked like that when she moved to Earth. I don't know how long kryptonians live under these circumstances."

"Longer or shorter than three hundred years?"

"My best guess is a lot longer. And he probably won't look older. People.. will notice. Unless you plan on moving and cutting ties with everyone in ten years or so. Clark Kent… He's always going to be Clark Kent. I mean, his identity. But 'Clark Kent, well-intentioned but bumbling reporter'? That has a lifespan. So in eighty… A hundred years, does he pick a new name and a new town and set up a new secret identity? Or… Something else?"

"Hooooooo boy."

"See, this is what I do. What I can't stop doing. Think bloody awkward thoughts and ask bloody awkward questions."

"He hasn't told me."

"Think he's.. thought about it?"

"No."

"Think he should?"

"I.. think it can wait. God, I never… I never put it in that sort of perspective. I haven't even thought about it."

"Oh, you don't have the same problem. I'm a well known crazy transhumanist. It's not strange that I'd offer to augment you. You don't have a secret identity, and you'll age enough that it won't be immediately obvious if you don't want to broadcast it. You'll be 'that reporter with super strength' not 'Superman in hiding'."

I sigh.

"Captain Marvel once told me that he wouldn't be able to cope with being Captain Marvel all the time. I don't know if I could cope with not being Orange Lantern all the time. No, I know I can't; I tried taking a month off with my girlfriend and we spent nearly all of it working."

"No one's obliged to be Thomas Aquinas. I was just hoping that he'd worked out a sensible cut off point. And… Why that point is where it is. But the more you know about, the more you see you could do… I'm sorry, this was a bad idea. Please, thank Kal-El for putting up with me. I'll go and bother someone else."

"Yeah. You do that."

15th December 2012
    09:02 GMT -5

The LexCorp receptionist passes me the phone handset.

"Orange Lantern. What can I do for you?"

"Mister Luthor, I need to warn you about something."

"And what would that be?"

"I accidentally messed up Superman's head, and… I might have persuaded him to adopt a more pragmatic mindset."

"I see."

"So if you could just minimise the provocation until I've fixed this..?"

I hear the phone click as he puts it down.

13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He's the science guy.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, Paul already suggested that Lois get the Danner Formula in Jungle Gym, and I can't remember where, but I think you already confirmed it in or out of story that she took the offer.

anirocks, Cuchulin, BookZone and 17 others like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"I wince"

Hello Justice Lords.

He already gave her the formula.

Yeah, that bald head really is a distinctive target for laser eyes.

16. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Did OL just strand Lois on the other side of the planet, and leave a mindfucked Kal-El unsupervised? That can't end well.

17. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Do Danner enhanciles have lifespans equal to Kryptonians? Iirc it's something like 3x a normal human's.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

you can just tell he looking at Clark sitting right there looking at him and is thinking if he should risk it

19. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Isn't Lois in the same boat as Robin? Dannered and with a power suppressor?

Mr Zoat that may be a continuity error with the current chapter.

Lois probably has a bracelet like Artemis.

20. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

So from a narrative perspective, why exactly was it decided to skip over the entire background of this most recent chapter? You know. The very conversation which somehow broke Superman and got him to reconsider his entire perspective on reality? The one where OL feels like he needs to actually warn Lex Luthor

It feels like the story jumped ahead in a way that didn't do it any favors because it's choosing to gloss over the parts which set up the most recent chapter and somehow justify Superman allegedly changing his perspective. Skipping over it introduces any number of questions that feel glaring if unanswered.

Idk. I don't think the jump ahead did the story any favors, and in fact creates more problems than it...I don't know, solves? If there were any problems which needed to be solved by excluding those scenes to begin with.

21. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Probably not but it's a hell of a lot better than what she's got now.

Bud-E, Cuchulin and Lord Ernest like this.
  22. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Didn't we see that conversation? Just the idea that the universe is big and that superman could likely save millions of lifes with an hour's work in many parts of the universe, but if he gets to doing that then he is doing it 24/7.

Basically OL asked Superman how he manages his work life balance because OL can't manage it.

23. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

I wince and then

That's a landmine you're stomping on, there.

Vorian, Doccer, Caerwen and 2 others like this.
  24. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I mean you don't need Zoat to make a play by play recount of the conversation when the last sentence of the chapter tells us the angle of attack Paul probably used.

Clark probably tried to counter the argument with his brand of earnest and Paul may have thrown a tangent about Roanoke Island and the Sheeda invasión and how Clark could have saved more lives if he had altered his priorities a little, then Clark probably went silent because he realized Paul was right and he would have saved a lot more people... Heck Superman being based on a single city in the US probably fucked his world view even more because he likely has failed to respond to emergencies in other countries (earthquakes, floods, etc) while he was busy saving cats from trees in metropolis.

25. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Took me a bit to find it, but here's where Lois was said to be Dannered:
    Paul asked her if she wanted super powers, a couple chapters later in the same episode he says that he gave her the Danner formula.

26. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Mr Zoat : Is this plot twist at least partially inspired by Overly sarcastic productions recent 2 part detail diatribe about Superman? I would include a link, but they are both more then a hour long.

27. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I admit that Lois Lane is definitely a woman who can take any amount of sass from others, which makes me cool my jets when she dishes out sass. If this were a boxing match, that rebuke/counter would have her seeing stars though and I’d be cheering in the crowd.

I wonder if Lois has interviewed any of the surviving Sheeda.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Boy, is that going to be an awkward, confusing explanation. I presume she does know about Kal's little trip to Earth-666, and the alternate Kara. Still, 'I accidentally found an alternate Earth where the JSA are basically world-wide law enforcement, and something there rattled me' should cover it...

Well, it's your peace of mind to throw away or not.

Try... More of a non-lethal hero. Sort of recalibrate his responses on Earth to not go straight for the railguns.

Yeah, on other planets, he's fairly well-known... Especially after he leaves. But on Earth? 'Cake Man'. :p

Meanwhile, in Lex's Office: "Why is he just sitting there? Watching... Just watching..." His left eye twitches as his nerves wear thinner and thinner...

Yeah, being a quarter of the planet away should make it a bit harder for Kal to overhear. He's not Silver-Age 'hear a gnat fart from a parsec away' levels, after all.

Heh. Now she can cut loose without tarnishing Clark's image of her, huh?

Goddamit, OL. :eek: Did you manage to break Superman by accident?

Heh, telling the defences not to kill on sight, huh? Supes might be a bit miffed if Miss Lane gets singed...

:eek: OL, what did you say? See, this is why the League is wary around you! Forget the giant orange snake and the tendency towards lethal force. You broke Superman! By talking!

Lois? Feel free to bounce his head off a wall for a few minutes, it'll make you feel better.

OL? Mouth. Stop. Stop with the words please.

Surprised you didn't do the 'zipper closing' gag with a construct. But then, this is no time for comedy...

Neither does anyone else. I suspect you could build a few houses with the bricks that would be shat.

o_O Don't play the fool, OL. You're already halfway there already.

I'm wondering why that would trigger him the way it has... Please, do elaborate, OL.

Ah... Yeah, that might be a little depressing...

Well, never know what good living and a little super-science can do for you...

Well. No wonder he's depressed. He's not given the matter that much thought, has he? No wonder he's feeling blue.

I'm betting that'll be a 'I'll cross that bridge when I come to it' process. Or at least he planned to do that, until OL started talking...

I mean, at worst, he can start spreading a little grey dye into his hair at super-speed... For a while at least. At least one older Superman did just that.

It's a very human thing to do, ignoring it until it actually becomes a problem. You can't be blamed for that.

:confused: ...Yeah, I think enough folks have pointed out the possible continuity error there. No doubt this chapter'll be getting tweaked later, huh? For now, let's carry on as is!

Though I don't think Lois has quite the character to become, say, Superwoman or something like that... :sneaky:

Probably for the best. Not sure who he could go to next. Probably not a good idea to visit Billy. Who could be his number three choice? :oops:

Lexcorp? This is going to be... :confused: Something.

Ah, showing a little professional courtesy, OL?

Thankfully, he should settle down in a day or two. Maybe go on a bit of a walkabout...

True. I really don't think Clark's in the mood for Lex's shit at all right now.

And then Lex starts banging his forehead on the desk, wondering what god he pissed off to suffer like this...

Right then... Not OL's finest showing in a team-up. Let's hope Clark sorts his head out before long, maybe has a chat with Batman and/or Diana, along with a bit of commiseration about dealing with OL... But on a more serious note, OL may need to think about what he says to people now. I know he wants to make things work better, but sometimes... People don't want to work better. They're comfortable where they are. And most people don't like to have to think about the things they don't want to think about... :oops:

KenNM, _The_Bomb, Cuchulin and 19 others like this.
  29. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Didn't Grayven mention to Artemis that Kal-El dies at some point in the next few decades? Assuming that applies here, the whole ageing thing might be moot?

jasonh23761 and Prince Charon like this.
  30. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I'm not entirely sure they know.

Even if test shows that they could be theoretically immortal or something, none of the individuals who have been exposed to the formula have lived that long so far! What if there's some unknown or subtle soul corruption, or mental degradation, or other side effects?

All he can guarantee is that it would be much better than being a stock human to have that formula applied.

This is not an uncommon problem by the way, there are lots of people who gain immortality but then end up dying within the same time range as a normal unenhanced human in the first place because they start taking stupid risks and end up paying the price.

It's like something on their head says 'Oh, I can't die? Prove it!' and they go suicidely stupid.

Cuchulin, Vorian, Ardy and 2 others like this.