1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

It is a public unveiling that had a decent amount of set up in one update. It would be a plot twist if nothing went wrong.

RIP Ollie for being grandfathered in. Though hey, maybe his business/political connections could be helpful.

2. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

It reminds of the ‘We shouldn’t make our own Super villains!’ moment were Kord made a sentient invisible super monkey and accidentally gave him power armor and a telekinesis helmet.

Are we sure Murphy isn’t an Endless?

Wivk, DAT_NOOB, kerleth and 2 others like this.
  3. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Destruction Of The Endless abandoned his post.
    In his ennui, I suppose he manifested the force of Murphy as an expression of that ennui: unstoppable destruction at all scales, each one equally impossible, each one equally pointless, everywhere.

Imagine being actually omnipresent, and knowing that you need only interact thoughtlessly for your nature to imbue the target of interaction with Destruction.

Destruction, now Murphy for a time, where he walks the janitor misses those spots, where he talks people's smartphones bungle their voice commands, where he pokes at a nifty device a crack goes unseen, where he mocks jokes become horrifically ironically timed.

Destruction absolutely has a grudge against Boss Smiley, whether he recognizes the demon or not.

4. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Seems like things are coming to a head with the Alliance of the Just.

Given the comics history with Edge and a few bread crumbs getting scattered around, this is should be ... interesting.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You're thinking of Vext.

God of mishap and misfortune.

Son of Textacl, patron deity of the perpetually cuckolded and Shrike M'ota, patron deity of emasculating shrews, on and off boyfriend of Paramour, goddess of relationships gone hellishly wrong.

He took a trip on a ship called the Titanic and was enjoying the fresh air in a garden when some lady decided to listen to a talking snake.

Considered a minor deity, but that has probably more to do with the fact that his powers target him just as much as they do anybody, considering he is effectively the embodiment of Murphy's law.

6. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

31st December 2012
    09:23 GMT -5

"Orange Lantern! Blue Lantern!"

Vincent Edge is smiling with teeth that glow a disturbingly brilliant white. I'm not sure if he's had some sort of coating put on them or if they're dentures. Whatever magic defence he had when we first met has been improved enough to throw off my normal scans. Nice to see a man in his position taking his personal defence so seriously.

"Mister Edge."

Alan steps forward to shake his hand. The two of them narrowly missed being adversaries; Vincent Edge only rose to a senior position in his syndicate after Alan semi-retired from superheroism, but there was enough of an overlap in their areas of operation that they'd have been fighting each other if he hadn't.

Alan's actually old enough to be his father. It feels weird to think that.

"Oh, call me Vinny. At my age there doesn't seem much point standing on ceremony."

Ah, looks like Alan thinks it feels weird as well.

"Mister Edge."

He takes my hand, laying his left over the top. "Thank you for coming. Marcus said you wanted to check the place over?"

"I want to check everything over. But I've had a lot of contact with cutting edge super science going badly wrong-. Did I ever tell you about when KordTech gave a chimpanzee invisible power armour and an intelligence augmentation?"

"No, that… That sounds like a barrel of fun."

"Oh, Bobo's a lovely fellow most of the time. It's just that the augmentation messed up his head for a few days. But the point is, it's sometimes worth having someone outside of the bubble taking a look at things."

"Oh, there's no harm in it. Why don't we all head this way, you can give it the once-over. Put your mind at ease."

"Thank you."

There are a few television crews setting up inside, and a few cameras track us as we're led through the briefing room towards the more technically-orientated parts of the complex. Alan and I are both pretty big deals, but the fact is that footage of us isn't exactly hard to come by. Alan spends quite a lot of his time in New York, and… I've been everywhere.

"Do you use a ring terminus..?"

"Oh, no. Technically, this whole building is the terminus. We've got an assembly room; that's where we're holding the demonstration, but that's for when we want to send groups of people together. One little monitor-"

He reaches across with his left hand and pulls up his right sleeve a little way, showing a device built into a bracer.

"-and it can just pick people up and drop them off, no trouble. This thing also monitors vital signs, and it's a smart communicator. Anywhere in the world, if there's any way to get a message through this thing will do it." He lets his sleeve fall. "Cheap, too, and reliable. Uses a combination of computer circuitry and geomancy."

"Sounds useful. Does the Alliance have a commercial development arm?"

"No, no. We're just using it to give the company who came up with it advertising in exchange for using them. It's a sponsorship thing." He glances back at us. "Legal, we checked."

"I'm sure it is."

"Well, it pays to be sure. I'd be an embarrassment if I did all this and then broke the law by accident."

He's not wrong, there.

"Actually, I've been meaning to ask… I doubt that you'll remember if, but… Do you remember meeting my father?"

Alan shakes his head. "I can't say I do."

"Would have been about sixty years ago? You broke his arm after you caught him purse snatching and he drew a gun."

Alan's eyebrows go up slightly at the news, then his eyes drift to the side as he tries to remember.

"I… I'm sorry, nothing comes to mind. If you want to be sure, I can check my old files and see if I wrote anything down that might jog my memory."

"No, no, it's hardly that important. I was just curious."

"Did he straighten himself out afterwards?"

"I've got no idea. He got stabbed to death in prison." Alan looks a little awkward. "Oh, he had it coming. Mean son of a…" He shakes his head. "My mother was better without him. He did teach me one lesson though. Like it says in The Godfather: a lawyer can steal more with a briefcase than a thief can with a gun."

He slows for a moment, touching his forehead with his right hand.

"It was a good lesson to learn in the practical sense. Not the moral sense. I don't know if I'd have gotten a clue earlier if I'd stuck to being a thug like him, or if they'd have buried me next to him in the prison graveyard."

"You turned things around in the end."

Mister Edge makes an amused exhalation. "Not quite at the end, yet. Doctor says I could live another twenty years if I eat right and live clean, and I'm all about that these days. And I… I believe that the Alliance of the Just will be the salvation of my soul."

Not exactly how it works. It's becoming the sort of person who would create something like this that would get him into the Kingdom of Heaven in the Christian sense, because you're judged for who you are and not what you've done. Though I suppose he didn't actually say what religion he practiced. Could be something a little more result-orientated.

"Though if you can both stay after the main demonstration, I'd like you both to meet my sponsor."

"Your sponsor?"

Mr. Edge shrugs. "I was in a bad place, mentally as well as spiritually. The Lord had shown me what awaited me, but… But my sponsor's the man who helped me keep at it. I've got a whole bunch of instincts that come from being a career criminal, and to become the man I want to die as I've had to… I've had to fight them every day."

"Ah. Sure. Sounds like a good man."

"Surely is. You know how it is when you've got a really good preacher, who just makes the lessons click in your head? I didn't have that growing up, but it's never too late."

"I'm afraid I'm a Hellenist, myself."

"Oh, don't worry. He won't be offended. And he told me that he's a fan of your work in particular."

"Ah, I… That's nice. Sure, I've got time to meet him. What's his name?"

"Bruno. Father Bruno."

"Must be a remarkable man to have such an effect on you."

Mr. Edge nods. "Him and the Lord who stands behind him. And…"

He swipes his ID card and pushes the door open.

"Here's the heart of the machine. Check to your heart's content."

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  7. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

I’m getting horror movie vibes

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

At least we now have an idea of how this can go all wrong. Please tell me Paul is also thinking of Bruno Mannheim.

9. JeckJack

JeckJack Mask Seller

It's been a while since we checked in on that whole religion of crime subplot, huh?

Cuchulin, mauke, TopHatWearer and 9 others like this.
  10. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Your

Also, here comes the sudden but inevitable betrayal?

11. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I thought we didn't talk about Bruno

12. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Here's the heart?

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

camera -> cameras

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So, a most likely corrupt preacher, geomantic comm devices and a giant teleporter that now contains two superheroes...WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Bramble Thorn, mauke, Windona and 3 others like this.
  15. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if there was a spontaneous interview with good old G Gordon Godfrey.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"has been"

Can't wait to see how this is connected to the coming shit show.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck!

Remarkable is one way to put it.

Yes, his "Lord" really is something.

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Due to the fact that Scott and Barda are around, he can't do that, as the two of them would probably recognize him.

18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Considering the only other Bruno is the trans lady with swastika boobs… probably?

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but there may be nothing stopping him from using a pawn to manipulate people or potentially using some disguise.

Cuchulin and TopHatWearer like this.
  20. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

We might be a little early for Glorious Godfrey to have set up shop.

But given Mannheim -> Intergang -> Apokalips...

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

At his age and demographic, I'd be surprised if they were his natural teeth. Still, it seems... Iffy that he's so heavily defended, especially in a way that foils OL's perceptions. I know he's trying to think the best of him, but there's always room for paranoia.

Lucky for Vincent. When you're up against a Lantern, even one with no VI support in their ring, there's quite the power disparity. Like cracking nuts with a piledriver.

...At your age, Vinny does not really fit you. That's the nickname of an under-twenty-five dude-bro.

Yeah, Alan's old-fashioned that way. Old men who aren't close friends should be called 'sir' or 'mister', not... Vinny.

It sounds funnier than it is, especially when said monkey was also suffering from something of a brain-storm. And thus running on full super-villain logic.

Something you sometimes need, yet forget about, OL. At least you do have people to rein you in...

And if it's particularly novel compared to anything N.E.M.O. has, perhaps OL can make scans of the schematics for Dox or the Sivanas to inspect.

Ah, the good old 'circular portal' trope. Good enough for Stargate, good enough for OL's Dolmen Gates, good enough for them.

...That seems a little... Risky? And possibly an invasion of privacy.

Man, if this isn't legit, then it feels like it was tailored to pique OL's interest.

Hey, he's gone straight. Not going to risk his golden years getting in trouble with the law now.

It would bring the tone of the enterprise down a tad if the founder got arrested or at least sued for something that mundane.

Alan's met a lot of fellows who couldn't stand the light... :p The Light of the Green Lantern.

Hard to remember one nut under the piledriver...

Odd thing to bring up at a time like this, if at all. "Hey, you busted my old man. You remember that?"

Karma's a bitch, I guess?

And if the latter, they'd be lamenting 'Like father, like son...'

Well, at least he's earnest about it. That sort of thing probably helps them believe he's being honest...

...And then there's that little tidbit...

Well, one more bit of good to come out of last year's little kerfuffle between OL and the Silver City.

Well, if it works, it works, I guess?

...Curiouser and curiouser.

:confused: ...As in Bruno Mannheim? Or are we all just jumping to conclusions with a +20 enhancement bonus?

Now, see, that sounds innocuous, but... Sometimes that's a bad thing.

So, are we about to discover another bit of Kirby-tech or..?

Boy, a couple of red flags raised here, if you know anything about DC comics in the Noughties. Still, it could just be coincidence and happenstance. :eek: We could be jumping at shadows, like in any good horror story, letting our imaginations run away with us. And all the while, Mr Zoat is sitting at his keyboard, chuckling as we panic. I'm sure tomorrow will bring some clarification...

22. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

Time to go see how things are in The Wasteland.

23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘built’
    ’in’

24. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

25. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Damn, I’m disappointed that ‘he’s the heart of the machine’ was a typo. It was a neat twist.

Bramble Thorn and kerleth like this.
  26. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

I could still be the case. It just wasn't meant to be spoiled this early.

TopHatWearer likes this.
  27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

My money's on "evil duplicates" but it's anybody's game.

TopHatWearer likes this.
  28. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

"Come and look upon the heart!"

I agree with numerous other posters that odds are good that Edge wants revenge for his father and has made this as a trap for Alan, the religion he has gotten is the Religion of Crime(1), and the Lord standing behind Bruno is Darkseid.

(1) Done lots of Evil and don't want to end up in Hell? Switch to a religion where you are rewarded(2) for being Evil!

(2) So what actually happens to Darkseid-worshippers after their death? Has there ever been a canon answer?

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  29. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

At this point it would be a plot twist if Bruno wasn't evil.

Yeah, my thoughts went to Bruno Manheim. But Religion of Evil and Darkseid worshiping doesn't quite make sense for the Alliance of the Just unless they're secretly all anti lifed or brainwashed in a way Paul can't pick up.

Cuchulin, Ardy and TopHatWearer like this.
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

A while back Empress went missing, so this may tie into that.