1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe you could use this on Truggs.

Okay, now he's just being petty.

Though Paul was telling the truth.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It may honestly work for the Ascendant on a metaphysical level.

Chojin Patriarch and kerleth like this.
  3. JeckJack

JeckJack Mask Seller

I think the Nemesis and this new Little Girl Voice are different Reach officers. He was talking to the Nemesis, then shut him off, and then started contacting a new ship, and that one had the little girl. She's a new character, not the rival.

Chaoswind, Ardy, CTrees and 8 others like this.
  4. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

This is it, he asked the girl about the nemesis orders/goals and tried to see if the Reach admiral (the girl) is prepared to negotiate and allow Paul to retreat with the few local ships and the corpse of a Titan.

The Reach are gathering data now and will likely develop a cold beam eventually now that they know it exist, keeping Paul in the system revealing his tricks is more valuable than the damage Paul is doing to a few ships.

Without a huge NEMO fleet to help Paul he really can't do much (unless he goes full Greed snake) beyond what he is doing.

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Unless they manage to pull off what they did in canon.

Windona likes this.
  6. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Oh sure, these aliens are going to be nice ones. Get off our planet!" *throws beer can patriotically*

DAT_NOOB, Vorian and Windona like this.
  7. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I highly doubt that would be possible at this point.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  8. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

1st January 2013
    20:50 GMT

The faint whiff of exotic energy and desires changes its angle of approach slightly. We're aware that we're more immaterial than we've allowed ourself to be for a while, and that is making perceiving the desires and drives of the Reachians so obvious that for a moment we can't imagine not seeing them.

I raise my right hand and point at it, keeping my right finger trained on it as I reinforce my construct armour and add a cluster of small railguns for anti-Scarab work. Regular Scarabs… It's not that they're not a threat to me, but it's more on the level that Sodom and Gomorrah are to Kal-El. Yes, they could kill him, but once the initial transmutation didn't work it was pretty obvious which way the fight was going to go.

"I… See… You…"

And… Tiny flecks of-.

Move. Load phasic rounds, fire. Shoot the warp-assisted cold beam at-.

One of the Scarab's drones deactivates its phasic system and fires-.

And my giant cold gun construct is gone. Didn't register any conventional damage. Have they managed to replicate the crumbler effect? Tricky, but-.

Another drone -looks like there are four of them- phases in and fires at my armour. I'm using ablative construct plating instinctively, so I'm not too-.

A whole chunk of armour vanishes, leaving my right shoulder and the upper right portion of my torso exposed.

That wasn't a crumbler.

I shift plates around, taking small x-ionised plates out of subspace in order to-.

I just about spot the shift in desires as another drone phases in and takes a shot. I block this one with a metal plate at about thirty metres from my actual body. Block is… Successful. Looks like whatever that beam is doesn't do much to conventional matter. And the beam is… Light speed.

Rats rats rats.

Alright, I-.

Another drones shoots at the back of my helmet, the intensification of the desires associated with it giving me just enough time to block that shot.

It's behind me.

That means that I no longer have the advantage of my enemy being in a single arc.

"How many years at war with the Green Lantern Corps and now you develop-"

Two shots, two blocks. They're moving to surround me, but multi-channel processing isn't hard for us. Were they expecting someone other than me? Someone not from Earth, or.. just.. not the Illustres. A normal Lantern who had their defensive construct shot out would be a good deal more vulnerable, and even if they recovered they'd go through their ring charge much faster than normal in order to repair it.

"-anti-construct weapons? I mean-"

We block another two shots. It looks like there's a recharge time issue.

"-I'll take it as a sign of how seriously you're taking this."

"How are you tracking our drones?"

Just because I'm not communicating with him, that doesn't mean he can't communicate with me. I was just trying to reach the Scarab, but… Ah, why not?

"How stupid do you-"

Block and block, block and block.

"-think we are?"

"'We'? Are you using an AI, perhaps?"

Fiddlesticks. On the other hand, not exactly a secret-secret. And without using the senses of the Ophidian portion of us, this wouldn't be possible.

"What's an 'AI', really, when you get down to it?"

"Or is it you who's the AI? Is that how you came back from being totally disintegrated?"

"Yes, you've found us-"

Since the drones appear to be holding off for now, let's have another shot at those ships. Can't take another shot with a giant cold gun without it being really obvious, but if gravity manipulation is the order of the day…

"-out. Curses, we are undone. Melon melon melon."

They're abandoning the system anyway.

Beam singularity projector. We have no idea what will happen when we fire this, but-

Drones fire and blocked.

-it should satisfy any number of the desires we feel to find out. Bend space between here and the target and fire!

We hit the central dreadnought and it… Shudders. There's a neat hole where we hit, and a neat hole at the far end. Presumably we hit everything between those two points, though the ship is disrupting our scans-

Blocked.

-too well for us to tell for certain. The ship… Doesn't appear to have changed its acceleration, so perhaps-.

There's a small bloom of heat from inside the ship. Wait, all this gravity manipulation and they can't even disrupt a singularity beam a little? If this whole space-bending thing turns out to be a macro-scale hologram I'm going to be annoyed. Or maybe I was right and the generator is outside of the affected area, and these ships only use gravity manipulation in a more normal way? Either way, I-.

The drones fire at us again, this time joined by the Scarab Warrior. Shots blocked, but I'm being delayed and… And this isn't a viable strategy for anyone who isn't me. And I couldn't do it if there were more drones, or if there was a lot of other things going on. In the brief moment it was in normal space the Scarab itself didn't look anything special. Larger guns mounted on the forearms, but I assume that's just what they're using to disrupt my constructs.

"It's amusing how dependent we become on certain things. The Reach has long relied on our Scarabs to be the last word in humanoid warriors. We scarcely made any effort to improve other weapons at that scale; our regular soldiers are far inferior, despite the fact that our oldest conquests were made with a conventional army."

"The Guardians depend on their Lanterns, despite the fact that they have always been perfectly capable of building both war fleets and other sorts of exotic weapons. That's a weakness that your 'N.E.M.O.' doesn't share. You personally don't rely on your constructs, which is wise of you."

"Thank you. From all of us."

We spot it as the Scarab Warrior prepares to fire once more, and-

-it emerges from its phased state-

and our construct armour vanishes.

"But you do rely on subspace storage. Kill him."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  9. Syphi

Syphi Reading four stories at a time.

Sorry about the post on the archive thread, removed it.

Anyway, is it supermode time or time for resurrection into anti-lifed problems.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wwll, you have done such stupid things before.

Not much difference between a regular intelligence.

Add a . at the end.

11. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

be -> me
    They've -> They're

12. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Please edit for clarity here, because I have no idea what a "Scarab's scarab drone" is supposed to be.
    How big it is, what it looks like. They just suddenly get inserted to the combat with no description or explination.

Modern usage has drones as non-persons.
    Robotic units either operating from their on board programming, or remote operated from elsewhere.

Here, you talk about OL detection the drones attacks by detecting their emotions.
    This does not help.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And no doubt the Reach Nemesis is paying very close attention to you. At least being able to see their desires might be useful in the fight to come. Fore-warned is fore-armed and all that. I mean, outside of the basic 'kill you dead!' desire they're no doubt feeling.

Uh-oh. Incoming!

Something very nasty, no doubt. Best to not be where it's aimed.

Somehow, I don't think they replicated the crazy Earth technology directly. That might be a bit too big of a fluke. But replicating its effects might be a little easier. Scarab armouries are very extensive, even without dipping into the more extreme end of the damage scale.

Destroying the constructs en masse, but not affecting the materials beneath? Now there's an exotic effect.

Well, as long as you keep dodging and blocking, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Back-stab denied! Also, rude, if pragmatic.

Just means you have to be a little more agile.

True, that first shot might well have messed up a rookie. And they wouldn't have the experience to know better than trying to repeat a failed defensive method.

So at least they can't rapid-fire, and bury you in whatever it is.

To quote a famous trickster: "Sore wa himitsu desu!"

Mess with them a little more, eh?

...Well, you haven't been making the most favourable impression, OL. I'm amazed they consider you as big a threat as they do. :p

Well, technically, Rings do have some measure of artificial intelligence. At least in the Mass Effect 'virtual intelligence' fashion, really.

Sure, go ahead and assume that. Let your analysts argue over that little tidbit for a while.

No doubt the Scarab is running through their options, trying to find something more effective against OL.

...That feels like a reference. Sadly, not one I recognise...

Oooh, busting out one of the 'apocalypse weapon' options, eh? :D Not something you can safely use around anything you want to keep, is it?

Aw, no rippling explosions running up the length of the ship? How disappointing.

To be fair, even if you atomised it, the particles would still carry on their existing vector. Losing power does not equal 'slow to a stop' in space, after all. ;)

Or they were expecting to be able to block it, but couldn't because your spacewarp maybe went under their shield envelope?

And quite likely your body, if it hit you while you were a little Tang-flavoured. Don't discount anything they might do.

True, NEMO probably is the first real joint-operations force involving Ring-wielders and conventional military platforms. Outside of single Lanterns working with a local fleet, anyway.

No doubt got something nasty planned. Don't get cocky, OL.

Hmm. Broad-spectrum energy disruptor targetting his constructs? And that line about subspace... Oooh, are they trying to prevent him from using it?

I have the feeling the Nemesis thinks they've found an exploitable weakness. Maybe all those easily-blocked drone attacks were simply giving them scan data to isolate whatever energy matrix he uses to access subspace? And they think that depriving him of it means he's helpless? :D Boy, are they ever in for a shock. On the other hand, his construct armour vanishing could be bad...

Some errors, Mr Zoat.

We're aware that we're more immaterial than we've allowed ourself to be for a while...
    One of these is extraneous.
    Can't take another shot with a giant cold gun without it being really obvious...
    Drones fire and blocked.
    If this whole space-bending thing turns out to be...

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nothing scarier than an idiot with power.

Istaran, Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  15. Syphi

Syphi Reading four stories at a time.

I have more to say about this. Isn't the subspace something that was broken into earlier by bona-fide DC earth mad scientists then got told how to lock it by said mad scientists? Uh...I could also see this not going the way the reach wants more.

16. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

yeah, and if the Reach think they are better then mad scientist then they are in for a rude wake up call

it still hilarious how many of the shit Paul deal with on Earth is way tougher then all the other crap he seen in the wider universe

Prince Charon, Caerwen, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  17. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

...I feel like the zero degrees ray gun is not being treated seriously.

There are explosive effects when the temperature changes rapidly enough, side effects if something gets too cold, consequences for trying to reverse said temperature, etc...

But every single foe seems to just get a bit Frosty and then walk it off!

A ray gun that instantaneously dropped something down to absolute zero should be close to a nuclear weapon or worse in damage scale, yes? Not just another laser gun that people seem to ignore during every battle.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Like this.
    No I don't. I talk about the SI detecting drones by the emotions associated with them.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Leonard doesn't want to kill people. As a result, he uses his gun to fire a sort of gel and then freeze the gel around people. He only uses the more powerful setting to create cold zones to slow the Flash down.

The SI lacks his restraint.

19. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Absolute zero is not an achievable temperature in real life, just like a perfect vacuum isn't, nor is knowing the position and momentum of a particle exactly, or reaching lightspeed with a particle of mass, or having a perfectly efficient energy conversion that doesn't create entropy. The universe really hates the numbers zero and infinity, and is willing to do fairly dramatic things to avoid having to talk about them.
    As things cool, you spend disproportionately more energy trying to keep pumping the remaining heat out of them. Our best cooling machines actually use intersecting lasers to form standing waves that trap an individual particle and dampen its movement towards the only stable position between the beams. This is how we cool particles so much that they can collapse into Bose-Einstein Condensates, which is where the particles basically stop being real entirely an exist only as quantum possibilities all sitting on top of each other. It should also be mentioned that this is an extremely exergonic state, extremely unstable, and it wants to violently implode/explode harder than even antimatter does to not have such an insane energy gradient between itself and the outside universe. If you could actually cool something to absolute zero, this would mean knowing its velocity perfectly: Zero. And that means nobody in the universe would have any fucking clue where it is anymore. You would have quantum teleported each particle in its form everywhere in the universe simultaneously with a quantum distribution that will probably never be resolved. Absolute zero does not make people go into stasis. It unmakes them. The scarab's implicate order annihilation field might be less disruptive.

20. Mr Zoat

You had to bring real science into it.

21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘Genoshan’?
    ’though’

Catching up after being occupied by essays.

Chojin Patriarch, Relyt33 and Mr Zoat like this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given how much LePaul over uses his subspace I've been expecting this for awhile.

After this though he's not going to have many options left.

Relyt33 likes this.
  23. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Reach? Adapting? And not just using a predescribed plan? Will wonders never cease.

Not sure if it's the cold medicine, but this certainly made me laugh.

IRL Physics took one look at all the brightly colored spandex and ran the other way. While incorporating stuff from real science can enrich a story, I don't come to superhero comics for realistic physics. In fact 'superhero story with hyper realistic physics' tends to be something that makes me go the other way.

24. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

It's a scarab drone used by a scarab. For more information, see DC Comix issue number...

Ardy, Windona, Rebu and 1 other person like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Heh. Mine's longer.

26. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

The children Sivana broke into his subspace pocket because they wanted to take a look at his lantern, which at the time Paul didn't keep stored in it.
    Later, Guy taught him how to lock his subspace pocket, resulting in the Thanagarians being able to lock out Paul from being able to access it but being unable to bypass the lock itself.

I would assume that Paul taught other Orange Lanterns how to lock their subspace pocket but if so, it was all offscreen.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  27. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

i have to disagree with you. i think the more IRL Physics a superhero story successfully incorporates into itself the more awesome and fun it is. because it means that, that superhero story is that much closer to reality.

kerleth likes this.
  28. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Boy, are you in the wrong place then.

29. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    20:52 GMT

No desires for you.

The inner orange lights of the scarab and host vanish, leaving the weaker corona of expectations marking its position.

I form a new construct shield but the drones down it at once and my construct ram isn't quite fast enough to destroy it while it's phased in. Fine then. I can still track them, they can't move as fast as my constructs can and they don't appear to have-.

We see the Scarab Warrior prepare to fire, and move-.

There's a sudden burst of heat along the armour of my right shoulder.

That wasn’t a construct disruptor. That was… Ring?

Weapon was positron ray.

Partially deflected by my armour's force field and it still burned a line across my shoulder. Positron beams aren't light speed weapons, but at this range they're close enough for most purposes. This armour isn't rated against Scarab Warrior-level opponents.

A drone prepares to fire but I ignore it. I'm not doing badly for ring power, but I can't afford to just throw it-

The drone fires, hitting me in the chest-. And with an awkward gasp I realise that it just shut down my environmental shield and I'm having to breathe normally.

I-.

Ophidian?

Oh dear.

I don't know if they're going to fire but I'm going to evade anyway and-. Good choice! Re-establish contact and re-activate my environmental shield and there we go.

That was terrifying and dodge again and try and hit them with a laser construct which we drop a fraction of a second after it fires to stop the drones hitting it with their counter fire.

I don't think that the laser hit, but it wasn't that powerful a laser and to be honest the Scarab Warrior's self-repair system could easily handle it even if it did hit.

The scarab…

We reach out and restore our light to the host, and twist the desires of the parasite so that it actively wants to be inactive. We're not sure how much mental freedom scarabs have to disobey their hierarchy. Certainly, they haven't ever been slow to throw themselves at Maltus-aligned forces, but that might just be a combination of hate and arrogance programmed into them to ensure that they would always remain friendly to Reach interests.

Of course, if the host is Reach-loyal, that won't help. Or at least won't make me win. But A.I.s are a lot faster at well defined tasks than organics, so it might slow their shared reactions a little.

Dodge, dodge, miss with a hammer, miss with a laser, and the Scarab has stayed in its phased state for a little longer than it needs to. Waiting for an opportunity or grateful that it has agency again? Can't tell.

So okay, no subspace, and the sternguard have actually started accelerating in this direction. It looks like it'll take them a few minutes to reverse their momentum, but while a Scarab Warrior might be manageable without long lasting constructs an actual fleet isn't.

Can't access subspace, and blocking access is a lot easier than breaking in. The actual physics are well beyond me, so-. So I can't force my way through the block reliably. I mean, I can try to steal my own things because I did scan the device that the Sivanas used-.

Not reliable.

So.

Formation there, warp space and accelerate! Energy to matter transmutation would take too long. Use x-ionised blades to carve sheets off armour. Not big sheets, but-.

And a drone hit me with its ray and I'm alone in my own head again. It's only for seconds but the Ophidan's absence chills me to my soul.

Re-establish, and-. Well, that's tiny, but it'll do for now. X-ionise-

"What a fascinating-"

-and block, making sure to let go as the beam is intercepted and grasp it again once the drone falls back into its phased state.

"-technique."

"Thank-"

The Scarab Warrior is doing… Something, and it and the drones are moving to catch up with me. I use a ring scan to try and determine exactly what's different about this sort of phasing, but I don't get anything that means anything to me.

"-you."

Okay, construct scanner. Get me more detail. Work out what's happening there.

Compliance.

Block-block and calculate, and take back a small amount of my hate for normal physics and fly that way. Tricky to judge, but if I-.

Report available.

And I'm sure that Dox will find it fascinating, but is any of it actionable?

Yes.

Okay, that's good-. Or… Not. At least that explains how it blocked my access to subspace. A phased object -probably the scarab itself- is somehow keeping the rest in subspace. Or.. something like that. I think the ring is dumbing it down for me. So a phasic round could in theory hit the scarab, but those are fairly small targets and not exactly fragile. How the drones are managing… Slaved to the scarab? Fine, except I have no-.

Ring, keep-

Block and dodge, because the Scarab Warrior appears to have spotted that something is up and is shooting at us a lot more. We frantically alternate between interposing our small x-ionised plates and normal construct shields as we struggle to sniff out-.

For a moment the Scarab Warrior fully emerges into normal space. My laser hits it at once, but it forms a shield to prevent me hitting anywhere fragile and reconfigures… Something, before vanishing again with only trivial damage.

Looks like I can't just replicate Thaddeus and Georgia's trick and steal the body from subspace. Which is a shame, because a Scarab Warrior without a scarab probably can't self-terminate.

Alright, vector's good, scarab is as off its game as it gets. Let's try this again. I-.

Drones shoot at the same time as the scarab, anti-construct shots pass through the space where my construct shield would have gone if I hadn't opted to evade instead. Somewhere deep in Reach space their creator may be pleased that the function they designed into them worked as desired. We manoeuvre again and attempt to acquire the subspace band being used by the scarab to hide in, and-.

Drones firing constantly, the Scarab phases in and resets again. We calculate and use our body to shield our gravity manipulator construct as we bend space just-.

Ugh, hit again. But did it-

The Scarab Warrior phases out and-

-work-.

-reappears immediately, spinning out of control where the phasic round I fired earlier intersected with their scarab implant. The drones materialise at once and I-.

They melt, their self-destruct systems consuming any technology I could have recovered.

Now for the Ascendants.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I hope we'll eventually get to see Paul really surprise his nemesis with something big.