1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Responding to Vaermina.

That was one of the ex-Lanterns of the sector, not the planetary natives.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    He's married. And not to the whore version of his wife who shows up in later comics.

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

So she doesn't cause emotionally repressed men to strongly desire her, while simultaneously forcing her to want them at the same time? If not, what is his wife the New God of?

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

If the universe has proven anything to be true, it is that there is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.
    I fully support OL's logic!

5. Mr Zoat

That is correct.
    I don't know. Someone dig up Jack Kirby and ask him.

6. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Getting total Data/Worf vibes. I suppose Orion could sub in for Dex Starr.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's not about quantity but quality.

And two of them are high-quality invaders.

I don't know.

In the JL cartoon a few supervillains managed to deal with him.

Granted Zoat may not nerf him like that.

Though if he underestimates her then he may be screwed.

She might still be a live goddess and have similar powers that make men desire her, but lacks the compulsion that makes her desire them.

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The typical New God in the comics is little better than a human, barring post flashpoint and everyone knows that doesn't count.

Orion however is not a typical New God, in power level he's up there with Superman.

Unless Zoat has nerfed him and from the comment about having superior firepower to a ring I don't think he did, he didn't even need to come down to the planet to express his anger.

He could have just decided whose faces he doesn't like from orbit and then its orbital bombardment time.

9. Mr Zoat

True, but -occasional attitude and temperament issues aside- he's a good guy, and doesn't habitually bombard places from orbit.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

For about five minutes.

At which point he would see she isn't like he did in Canon with Rocket.

I repeat the second part of what I said, that should have already happened.

Remember, Razer was with the Red Lanterns for years before his encounter with Hal.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he has enough control over the Astro-force that he can just zap who he wants to zap rather than leaving glass craters everywhere.

I wasn't suggesting he casually engages in mass murder, just that he can express his anger from long range.

The only mass murder I'm aware of him doing was up close and personal. Well there was that alien fleet but he was possessed by DeSaad so I'm not counting that.

A comic showed what happened when Orion went to the surface of New Genesis to give Forager to his people.

The Bugs are cannibals- waste not, want not.

Orion was very very offended. So I imagine the surviving Bugs ate well that day.

Prince Charon likes this.
  12. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I'm still really excited to see new Genesis get some Enlightened on their side.

13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The third is still pretty darn high-quality, just not "can solo an entire platoon".

Vorian likes this.
  14. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I’m pretty sure she could on this planet, given their low technological level.

Vorian and Prince Charon like this.
  15. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I just remembered something from earlier in the story. New Gods are supposed to be able to use non-green power rings without going nuts. Divine nature and all that.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  16. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

The interesting bit here is if Atrocitius hews more to comics canon (where he was a Noble Demon with a justified cause for his fury and, over time, was eventually evolving into anti-heroism before he got killed off because we can't have nice things - and is probably still stuck on Ysmalt with the other Inversions right now) or GL:TAS canon (where he was a Complete Monster and the entire invasion of this city was for the purpose of acquiring Razer as a Red Lantern - in which case he'll probably be shortly turning up even more angry than usual by his plot getting foiled)...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

GL:TAS canon is Young Justice canon.

18. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

It's canon adjacent. The timelines of the human Greenies don't match up

Prince Charon likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it was once mentioned that Atrocious will show up in year 6 of this story.

Right now he may still be a prisoner, or has just started forging his rings.

Things in this fic will probably not align with what happened in the GL cartoon.

This could be because that piece of media and YJ are adjacent to each other, which means that while they share similarities and histories, they do not align all of the way there and there are differences.

Plus Zoat may not use that since he doesn't seem interested in using material from season 3 and 4.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I wonder if that even is possible for him.

Orion is the god of glorious war, so honorable conduct may be part of his purview.

Sniping someone may not be viewed as all that honorable, so he may not be that capable in that regard.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    10:01 GMT

The soldiers that Orion chased off are still within sight of the top of the wall. Being able to fly makes spotting them even more trivial. They've gotten into good marching order, though it's clear that they're despondent.

"When did the ash clouds form?"

"The c-. That's… Ash? Did someone burn an entire forest?"

"No, someone used a nuke-. A very large bomb on a very large volcano. The ash will actually be very good for the soil just as soon as it settles."

"It was… A quarter of a year ago, when we first saw it. We should be well into the growing season now, but as you can see, our farms are producing little. The cloud came from the west, and cities in that direction will have it far worse."

"Do you have enough food to sustain your population?"

"Will you break apart the clouds today?"

"Yes."

"Then we should still be able to grow enough. It will be close, and we will be hungry, but we will survive. The other cities do not know that you are here, and they are desperate."

"So they take food from their neighbours in their desperation. But that doesn’t explain how it started, or who the heck thought that nuking a supervolcano was a good idea."

"We don't have any special way to send messages to other cities other than sending a messenger. Our Kar had a satellite communicator, but it was destroyed in a drone missile attack several weeks ago. Our city is… Self sufficient, so there were few traders to pass along general news."

"Okay, I-."

Ah.

I generate a miniature construct image of the militia soldiers I just spotted.

"Are they yours?"

"Yes, yes, that's them. Please, if they-."

The world around us flickers, and my construct barrier goes up in time to stop the first barrage of crossbow bolts from the irregulars camouflaged against the rocks hillside.

"Good effort, but that won't be necessary. The people attempting to invade-" A crossbow bolt hits the part of my barrier closest to my face, and I respond by giving the one who fired it a hard look. He conceals the crossbow in his cloak without looking even slightly guilty. Or nervous. "-are leaving, and my colleague Orion and I are going to try to normalise the situation. I would ask that you please return to your homes in order to avoid unnecessary deaths."

I deposit Ilana on the ground near to the closest militia squad, then generate a giant arrow construct near to the retreating invaders and wiggle it for emphasis. They take the hint and accelerate to a quick march.

"Ilana, who is that?"

"A Lantern, who can clear the sky."

"That won't dissuade people who are already starving." The man gives me an extremely sceptical glance. "And I doubt that they would do that without wanting something in return."

I transition down to float a short distance from him, his hands immediately going for knives under his cloak before he restrains himself.

"Someone made an ash cloud like this on my homeworld a couple of years ago. I caught it in the early stages and shut it down, but it was still pretty worrying at the time. Dispersed like this, it's more time consuming than anything else."

He considers me for a moment. "I thought that Green Lantern Liana was assigned to this part of the universe."

"She was. She got fired. I'm here for something else."

Ilana nods. "He thinks that there is something on Volkreg that is driving people mad with anger."

"People do not need to be driven mad to fight each other."

"No, but it can help. Hopefully, when the sun reappears the various cities will need to move their fighting age men into the fields to take advantage of it, but I'd rather deal with the source of the most recent outbreak of conflict."

"And then?"

"I will search for what I came here for and then leave. I'm not sure what your experience with off world merchants is, but outside of some interesting and novel food plants there's nothing else it's worth me taking from here. And it costs me next to nothing to wait until you've had a couple of good harvests."

"Then why are you talking to us?"

"I need someone more familiar with local custom than me to help me deal with people. Lantern Liana sent me some information, but that's nothing like actually living the culture. And if what I suspect is correct, the people responsible for the ash cloud might not be entirely responsible for their own actions."

"That would be extremely convenient."

He sounds extremely sceptical.

"Only if I can fix it. Which I can't guarantee. But I should get back to your city before Orion-."

"What about the cloud?"

"Someone's firing nuclear weapons at supervolcanoes. I don't know about your species' superstitions, but that sounds like a very bad thing. Particularly given that whoever did it probably has geophysics scans telling them where the other three are."

"Nuclear…" He doesn't frown, but the skin around his eyes wrinkles slightly. "I've heard of those. They're made with dense metal."

"That's the one. The difficult part is refining the metal to a high enough purity without the radiation melting you. Calculating the compression explosion is difficult, but a really good mathematician from your civilisation could probably manage it."

"It is more likely that they bought it." He grimaces. "Only an idiot or a monster would starve the whole world to win a war."

"Could be. I'll start by asking in the city closest to the blast. Excuse us-."

His eyes dart to Ilana, and she responds with the local confirmation gesture. He draws himself up slightly. "Then I will accompany you as well."

"The more the merrier. Will your militia adopt a more defensive posture?"

"I will.. speak to the appropriate people."

"Good show. Wave upwards when you're done."

"And what will you be doing?"

"Announcing my presence by removing all of the ash right away seems like a bad idea. But removing the clouds over your people's territory is something I can do right away as we're a long way from the source. And it might persuade your neighbours to look to their ploughshares instead of their swords. Excuse me."

I transition upwards and… The cloud is a cloud, the ash spread out enough that the inside is faint grey rather than lightless black. Unlike ash fresh out of the volcano it isn't hot, though the electrical charge is very much still present.

Right. One giant filter construct coming up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    boo600, batrax, Neruz and 136 others like this.
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'ash'.

I think that should say 'they'.

I hope at least some of these people will be sufficiently awed after they see what Paul can do.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though not so good for the lungs of the natives.

"The man"

"They're"

24. MacShimi

MacShimi Getting out there.

Typo, replace "ask" with "ash."

Typo: replace "there" with "they."

25. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Where's Razor anyway?

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Presumably, he's the guy who wants to stick with Ilana.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sadly, not even a forest the size of the continental United States of America could create that much ash. Even if it were burning all at once. And I'm disappointed that the Green Lantern Corps doesn't have clauses for disaster relief in situations like this. Though the lack of current Lanterns in sector is a different issue...

At least you can look forwards to spectacular sunrises and sunsets until it's settled. :p

Well, once things are sorted out around here, anyway.

Never underestimate the desperation of the hungry. Especially if they're armed.

Ah, the joy of a moderately advanced culture blasting itself back into the Dark Ages...

Hopefully they have distinctive icons on their banners. Assuming they have banners.

Ah, she's suddenly very eager, isn't she? Of course, we know why...

Heh. Not even flinching at the attempted headshot. That shooter has guts, even if he's lacking smarts...

Oh, hello there, Razer. :D

Not trusting anything you haven't gained through your own efforts, eh? Understandable.

That would be the attempted eruption of Yellowstone that Thomas Morrow triggered, back in the Team days. (Episode 15: Inhumanity - Story-Only link.)

And really, not having a Lantern temporarily assigned in-sector is quite the awkward oversight on the Corps' part. Unless said temporary replacement is very busy elsewhere.

True enough. But this particular thing is tailor-made to encourage it.

And hopefully with a shared desire to find out who did this and give them a well-deserved kicking.

Politeness? :p Words cost nothing, after all.

Eh, someone had to have given the order. Take it up with them.

...I'm sure Orion has stopped yelling at people by now. Hopefully. Maybe? :confused:

Ooh. There's a worrying idea. What if some religious lunatic did it in order to bring about their faith's apocalyptic scenario?

Hell, the US managed to do it back in the forties, with nothing but chutzpah and slide-rules. :rolleyes:

Again, could be a madman with a nihilistic streak.

Ooh, that's a good question. How high in rank is Razer?

...Evidently not high enough to give the needed orders himself, then. Probably going to have to do some fast talking to his officers.

It'll also benefit those downwind too.

Better than whipping up a giant vacuum cleaner or something...

Well, then. OL's got a busy few minute ahead. And now he has Razer on his side. Not that he knows who he is, of course. o_O I assume so, anyway. Depending on how the 'canon-adjacent' status affects the knowledge-erasure OL suffered... Meanwhile, despite what OL says, the cleaning of the ash will probably draw some attention from the neighbours. It remains to be seen just what that'll mean, though...

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's possible Mr. Zoat simply never watched the series before he started this story, so Paul wouldn't have any knowledge of characters from it at all.

29. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

ash
    They're
    they

Paul should probably keep a closer eye on Orion, this is a planet with probable unnatural mental enragement effect and he's susceptible.

Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Ngamer11 and Chojin Patriarch like this.