1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules of the site - Necromancy

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Navrin, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

The basic job of moderators is to enforce the rules of this website, found here. However, the moderators have taken it upon themselves to enforce a Spacebattles rule here: Specifically, that a thread without replies for X amount of time (14 days, I believe, but not particularly important) should not be replied to except by the topic creator.

This is not, and to the best of my knowledge never has been, an actual rule of QQ.

As such, I request one of two solutions be implemented.

First, amend the rules so that necromancy is explicitly made against site rules.

Second, for the moderators to cease pretending that necromancy is against this site's rules and restrict themselves to enforcing the rules that actually exist.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Ddmkm122 and ShadowStepper1300 like this.
  2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

To be honest, I have no problems with necromancy of threads.

That said, Megaolix seems to dislike them.

3. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

You can bet I dislike it.

I dunno, does common sense need rules?

Because that's what I consider that. When something is months old, years old, what possess someone to think posting on that thread and bumping it is a good idea? Especially when it's mainly for a shameless bump disguised as a one-liner comment?

So yeah, don't think for a second I will consider stopping.

Edit: And to add to that, it's not like I give them anything more than a warning about it because yes, we get the forum newbie now and then. If the behavior was repeated by the same person 3-4 times however, THAT is when I would strike with something harder. And that has not happened yet.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  4. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Well, hmm.
    I'll confess I dislike necromancy as well, but I don't see much harm from it. Either the thread is dead and truly dead, then it will quickly re-died and pushed down by active threads. Or it will actually galvanized the OP/the discussion, and it will live again.

In short, I believe there are merit for necromancy, and we can't depend on 'common sense' for banning it. Take SV, for example - a good chunk of our userbase is from SV, where necromancy is explicitly allowed. Certainly, the regulars already know QQ discourage necromancy - but what about new users?

So, adding 'no necromancy' or 'necromancy is discouraged' in the rules seems like prudent action to me.

Ddmkm122, ZeroXSEED, Priapus and 4 others like this.
  5. DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

It's not a breach of common sense so much as it is of common courtesy, but I feel like either way it's not the mods' jobs to enforce it. If it bugs the thread creator, they're capable of dealing with it. If it doesn't, there's no reason to do anything at all.

That said, if our glorious overlords intend to enforce the unspoken rules, I do agree that they should be listed somewhere. Is there a website somewhere that lists the various courtesies everyone on the internet should know about (as in, be polite, use proper grammar when possible, be aware that you're talking to actual people as opposed to faceless npcs)?

Nawaf and Ddmkm122 like this.
  6. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

Megaolix

Common sense or no, and I am not arguing, or entertaining an arguement of such, it is still OUTSIDE YOUR MANDATE

I am in favour of it becoming a rule if there is any sort of consensus amongst the mods that this is a practice that calls for intervention, and leave it to those mods who give a damn about it to enforce it.

Ddmkm122 and Navrin like this.
  7. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

You do realize the mod team is me and bii? After that, it's Squirelly, alethiophile and Elgee as Admins.

8. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

... Huh, I thought there were more Moderators. Well then, I look like a jackass. Have fun enforcing the necromancy.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Jeez, it's not like I drop the hammer on them. Not one got any real punishment over this yet.

Nawaf, Ddmkm122, ultima333 and 3 others like this.
  10. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

[oppression intensifies]

Now there is a thread necromancy policy. Fairly standard, tbh. Single violations will get frowny faces, repeat violations will get official warnings, followed by bans if continued.

11. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

We're extending from 2 weeks to a month then? Alright.

Ddmkm122 and Derek58 like this.
  12. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

So, can we add exceptions to this? Because I'm perfectly fine with people reviving my quest thread. It keeps me motivated, and I'm 100% cool with answering any questions about whether the quest is dormant or abandoned.

Ddmkm122 and Xicree like this.
  13. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

That's what PMs or profile comments are for. Maybe throw a line into your sig or something about feeling free to contact you with questions.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. Wootius

Wootius I trust you know where the happy button is?

Cold Cirno's heart is.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. dalmedya

dalmedya (unspecified)

16. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

I must object to this new rule as written, for a number of reasons.

1) There are threads that can be revived by even relatively minor posts. Suppose a quest dies, not from lack of story, but from lack of votes. A new vote, which would not be considered a "significant contribution" in most people's eyes, suffices. Or a discussion can be re-energised by a new viewpoint. Or one of the games in General by a new player.

2) Honestly, as both a reader and writer, I care a lot more about getting comments on my stories (and having discussion of them between readers) than about "getting false hope" of other people's stories updating. And I mean it's not like putting an old story back on the front page for a day or so has no benefit; there are almost certainly going to be people who haven't read it before. On top of that, IIRC the watched thread "new posts" notification tells you who posted first; not much "false hope" there.

3) Chilling effect. Having an explicit necromancy rule is, without a doubt, going to discourage what would end up being acceptable reanimations. Is five seconds of annoyance really big enough of a deal to outweigh that?

I mean, we do have Rules 1 and 5 for people who are being really disruptive about it (posting "update pls" a billion times in the same thread, etc.), and thread locks can be requested if necessary by their OPs. I could see some call for a black-list (rather than white-list, as here) rule telling people not to badger authors for updates, but even that has its pitfalls: "Is that an ending, or will there be more after this?" is a legitimate question for some one-shots and should probably be in the thread so it only has to be asked and answered once.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  17. sunspark

sunspark Experienced.

Woo! Now people can whine about thread necros here too!

Sarcasm aside, apparently the decision has already been made. I will note that thread necromancy doesn't hurt anyone, and can bring threads to the attention of people who had not found them before, and for creative endeavors, if your alert isn't the OP, you have no excuse for thinking it's an update.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

And as noted above, that's what PMs and profile posts are for. If you're going to poke someone about a story, you can do so without annoying anyone else.

Because I myself get irritated when necros happen.

Xed169, Nawaf, Ddmkm122 and 2 others like this.
  19. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

I fully agree. Necros don't hurt anyone, but banning them means you'll discourage people from posting - a bad, bad thing on a forum.

Nawaf, Ddmkm122, SilvCrest and 6 others like this.
  20. dalmedya

dalmedya (unspecified)

None of those are relevant. If a quest thread is dead, it is because the QM is not posting, or has driven off their playerbase with poor choices. In neither case does the thread deserve to be 'revived' by a pointless non-contribution. If you want discussion, either write something worth discussing, or bug people on IRC. There is no such thing as an 'acceptable' reanimation; either people come and yell at the necromancer and he feels stupid because he knows he did something stupid, or (extremely rarely) the QM comes back, writes three updates, then gets bored again.
    When quest threads die, they die for a reason, and that reason is always on the QM. Thus, only the QM should have any reason to bring it back.
    It will discourage them from posting useless garbage. A very, very good thing for a forum.

Ddmkm122, Fredo and Derek58 like this.
  21. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

If a post is garbage then the date it is posted will not change it. All you are doing is catering to people who get annoyed at being fooled into thinking there is an update. And those people can simply read their alerts.

Ddmkm122, Xoden, SilvCrest and 4 others like this.
  22. Wootius

Wootius I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wouldn't we rather just hit the users who are abusing other users here? Enough beatings would get the point across.

23. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/whats-your-otp.250033/

Necromanced several times, restarted with gusto each time.

Also, what Starfox5 said.

24. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

@Staff, would omakes for dead threads be acceptable under this new policy?

25. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

As long as it's not a single line type omake.

Ddmkm122, Navrin and CptTagon like this.
  26. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Ddmkm122 and Derek58 like this.
  27. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

And I mentioned discussions as another kind of thread?

Look, this really rubs me the wrong way. We're here to get along with each other (or so I thought), not to codify dogpiling people for minor etiquette violations that cause five seconds of headache to some people. The first five rules are completely uncontroversial and the sixth while possible to disagree with is still based in avoiding permanent destruction of content. This just seems like a taboo - people complain about it, therefore other people also complain about it, despite any real problem with it having evaporated.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  28. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

And necros rub me the wrong way.

I wouldn't have put it in the rules and I do not remember actually punishing anyone over it yet, just pointed out the matter. Then this thread happened and some asked for it to be in the rules and here we are. And it's still pretty relaxed as a rule. This only make it official what happen if someone go on a spree, which I would have done before the rule was written.

So, really? Nothing actually changed. Something was just stated as official policy.

Ddmkm122, Silvercrystal and Derek58 like this.
  29. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Well, let's see. I was planning to put my policy of "feel free to necro threads for my works if you've something to say to me about them" into my signature before this happened (specifically, I was planning to do it when my next work goes up). Can I still do so?

30. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

What exactly is wrong with necros? Seriously, what is wrong with posting in a thread about a story a month after the last post? If it's just a question about updates, then that specifically could be banned. But what exactly is bad about necros?