1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

Memorials series (Cenotaph, Wake, Legacy) by notes is basically THE best worm fanfiction. Writing is amazing, characterization is spot-on and characters who get more attention than canon are done so well people keep assuming that notes's take IS canon. (It's where Quinn Calle being completely unflappable no matter what happens comes from - dude gets stuck on a boat with Burnscar and TALKS HER DOWN). It basically hits that sweet spot of not being a canon retread while being close enough that no one doubts the sequence of events is completely plausible.
    There's a reason Legacy is two to three chapters per in-universe month where Cenotaph was averaging multiple chapters per in universe day and all of Wake takes place in something like 36 hours.

And no, notes hasn't fallen into the same trap. Taylor's gotten horribly anti-social and fucked up, but that doesn't involve reversing a shitton of prior character development and it's pretty clear that notes knows PRECISELY what he's doing with the character. Urban reconstruction politics with superpowers is just fundamentally a much harder thing to write than fight scenes if your name isn't EarthScorpion.

2. jrbless

jrbless You needed worthy opponents.

The Memorials series is Worm fanfic written by the author "notes". It is generally considered to be among the best and a companion piece to the original.

It is named the Memorials series on AO3. http://archiveofourown.org/series/160520

1. Cenotaph - https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/cenotaph-worm-complete.273255/
    2. Wake - https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/wake-worm-au-thread-2-complete.310371/
    3. Legacy - https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/legacy-worm.345448/

Cenotaph and Wake are complete while Legacy is still being written. The full versions of 1 and 2 are available on AO3 and SpaceBattles, while Legacy is only on SpaceBattles.

3. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Quick! if you delete this now, no one will know you made the horrible mistake of not realizing there was a whole other page, where not only did someone beat you to it, but the person you quoted replied and said they already knew what it was!

Oops. :p

Ack, Ryan Bazana and Hye like this.
  4. jrbless

jrbless You needed worthy opponents.

Crap. I didn't see the other page until after I had posted it. Oh well, bring on the bad karma :cool:

Hye and Ack like this.
  5. pa$$word

pa$$word Getting out there.

Thank you. You did well.

Divabot, Ack and TanaNari like this.
  6. Hye

Hye Reader of The Long Words

You are welcome! Have a nice day

Ack and TanaNari like this.
  7. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Thank you. Please check out my original stuff. I think it's better. :p

Psst. That's my job. Damn little boys and their imaginary tigers. Time to go get my imaginary neutering scissors. And my real neutering scissors.

Leteatbee, Ack, Ryan Bazana and 6 others like this.
  8. Hye

Noo! Don't neuter Hobbes! He needs his imagination and his *ahem ahem* for future shenanigans! He promises he won't do it again!

Also, i'm fairly certain he just commented on me as a person. I mean, i am awesome and did well in commenting and pouring me feelings out.

Ack likes this.
  9. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

But don't you want him to maintain that wonderful castrato singing voice? };-)

Ack and TanaNari like this.
  10. Hye

Bah, he can't sing for shit. It's sound like someone is torturing a cat

Ack, Silvercrystal and TanaNari like this.
  11. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

To be fair, tigers are cats. And getting one's balls cut off with scissors sounds like pretty clear torture.

Ack, Sol Mark-1, Ryan Bazana and 2 others like this.
  12. Hye

I know :D That's why i put it like that :D

TanaNari and Ack like this.
  13. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Normally, I would hit you with a warning no question asked. But given TanaNari, the author, participated by replying, I'll just remind you of rule 7 which is clear on thread necromancy for next time.

14. Hye

Wait, Necromancy was a thing here? Huh, it must have slipped my mind. I thought it was only Spacebattles that did the whole "Burn the Necro" thing. This is good to know, and i should probably go and read up on the rules again. Though, most rules on these pages can be followed by not being a dick.

But, yeah. Thanks for reminding us. You did well

Beyogi, Ack and edale like this.
  15. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

Most forums do, in my experience.

Ack likes this.
  16. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

QQ didn't for quite awhile while we were small enough that necroing only brought something up 5 pages at most, but now that the list is much longer it's generally a good idea to keep it to a minimum before it gets out of control.

I think we have the 'unless large relevant content' addendum in there though for omakes and whatnot.

17. Beyogi

Beyogi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Some forums go burn the heretic on you for not looking up ten pages of forum to find the right thread.

Ack and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Threadmarks: Canon Omake: Ascensions
    Per Pale Purpure Sanguine

Per Pale Purpure Sanguine Getting some practice in, huh?

I apologize for the thread necromancy ahead of time. I had some thoughts on post-ending scenes that I reached out to TanaNari about, and they've encouraged me to post them here. So without further ado, here are some pre-ascension Omake that tumbled out of my brain:

Michael

"So are you ready to get dunked in a freaky mass of arms and legs before setting out on what's probably going to be the most epic asskicking sequence of all time?"

The question cut through my retrospection like one of my now-retired blades. I knew my expression must have been startled as I looked away from the window and into my partner's eyes. The few Thinkers that were present scurried around us, involved in last minute preparations, albeit discretely. It wouldn't do to disturb the former rulers of the most powerful empire in all known versions of history, after all.

ConfidenceMischeviousnessNervousness. "Not that you don't look like an utter hunk when you get all broody, but it's kind of past time for that now, isn't it?" Vicky's smile was as confident as ever, and I instinctively knew she was tempted to do something undignified just to knock the scientists off guard. Considering they were there to monitor the last-minute progress of the experimental Avatar Body unfolded across the dead plains of Wruenelle outside, that probably wasn't a good idea.

"Technically, it isn't." Be nice. "We could stop everything right now, if we wanted, and use the other volunteers. Everyone would understand. Taylia would understand."

SatisfactionAffectionEyeroll. "You're looking for excuses. She has everything under control." She stepped closer and I wrapped my arms around her automatically. "Has been since she was fourteen and politely pretending we were her regents, rather than her advisors. The munchkin hasn't stopped being a total boss since then. She doesn't need us anymore."

It took me a second to realize that thought didn't cause the same pang in my chest as it used to. I'd never expected to have kids, not with Vicky. Not with her family, not with my history. But raising Taylor and Amelia's daughter had been more than a responsibility. It became an unlooked-for blessing. "She's a credit to her parents."

ExasperationAnnoyance. "Really? You're going to fall back on regent-speak now?"

I shook my head at myself. "… You're right, that was a stupid thing to say. I'm proud of her. I couldn't be more proud. She's all we could have ever wanted."

"Damn straight. Taylia is a BAMF that's going to nurture the crap out of her subjects and stomp the fuck over anyone else who looks at them the wrong way." A nearby pair of lab coats raised their heads at Vicky's volume, eyes wide. "Just like them." She added in a softer voice. WistfulnessReflection. We fell into silence watching the swaying mass below.

Minutes later I could feel Victoria trying to conceal her fidgeting through our bond.

TensionExcitementRestlessness. Admit it. You wanted to be the first one out there. I teased her gently. AmusementAndYouDon't? Dragon and Colin are the first. IrritationDoesn'tCount. I smiled. IrritationRobotAndWifeDoesn'tCount. She sent again.

Okay, now I had to smirk. It's rare to score one on her. I'd already known never to try even before I succumbed to Vicky's campaign. What was the point?

Which didn't stop her from reacting the few times I did manage to touch a nerve like that.

Vicky whirled on me. "Listen, if you think for a minute that I'm going to let anyone else go out to space to help my sister before I do-"

I stopped her with a kiss. My wildfire, my hurricane. My natural disaster. After I lost my brother, I knew I had nothing left but revenge. The Wards gave me back my life and the Protectorate gave me a new sense of purpose. But what Victoria gave back to me was something I'd never realized I lost. An elemental energy, that feeling of heedless eagerness I could never fully let have the reigns while underneath the increasingly heavier mantles of responsibility I took on. I chuckled, a rumble in my chest. Responsibilities I did not have anymore.

SurpriseLustJoy. Vicky pressed herself against me, luxuriating in the kiss. I held her by the waist delicately until we broke it.

A technician had appeared nearby. She cleared her throat awkwardly. "Your majesties. All the preparations are complete. If you're ready?" She gestured towards the door to what Clarice jokingly called "the launchpad."

I held Vicky's eyes, transmitting all of my awe, my appreciation, my love for her. "Yeah," she finally murmured, breaking into that wide grin I knew so well. One I knew matched my own. "Yeah, I think we are."

===

Lisa

During the entire inspection, I could barely sense the potential yearning that this massive, sprawling complex invoked within her. The urge to fight the good fight once more, to protect humanity and life. The hope that it actually was a good fight this time, simple and clean. I could barely sense it.

But it was there.

Rebecca paused for a telling microsecond at the sight of those four corpses floating above. Got you. "Not enough trophies stuffed into that display case yet, huh?" Our guide stiffened at the sarcasm. Slightly more pale. Fist subtly clenched. Thinks what I said is a blasphemy. One of the staff who treat the dead entities as something holy, to be worshipped as a sign of our species' might. But he didn't say anything. Not to Crow. Not in front of Alexandria.

Underneath my words was a different sentiment. You could go. If you wanted.

It didn't need to be said that going would require me. The research unlocked within Eden had made that plain; two memory imprints were necessary to begin to handle even a fraction of a Scion-type Entity's power. In the beginning there had been talk of testing with a single shard, just to see what happened. Those voices were roundly discouraged, not that it mattered. Taylor and Amelia were too thorough. In the wake of their victory, there was nothing left but pairbonds. Any attempt to prove differently usually ended up with another pairing being connected in improbable circumstances. Scientists had stopped trying.

"I hadn't realized another one arrived," Rebecca's smile was dagger-thin, as if she was humoring me. The slight tilt of her body away from me showed otherwise. Knows she was caught. Instinctive deflection. Uncomfortable the one thought she'd tried to hide was found.

"They're getting real busy out there, aren't they? Like sharks in a frenzy going after chum from the bucket." A subtle shift closer to her, as if to brush against her personal space. I said what I said.

"A crude analogy for what we likely could never comprehend." She crossed her arms, the closest finger sliding across her bicep towards me. SincereApology. IKnow.

I didn't really want to go, but I would. For her. This is your final revenge on me, isn't it, Taylor? I had stopped getting my backup updated years ago. Signed the no-revive paperwork from my lawyer, even. Not that that would really stop my enemies if they wanted a copy of me, but I'd left some zingers buried there just in case they ever got their hands on it. Their desperation for a date, underaged consent jokes, broad-spectrum stuff. Yet I would give up my humanity for this woman.

It was terrifying how scared I wasn't. The pairbond pulsed in my head, denying me the outrage of my values, for whatever they were worth.

"Doesn't seem too hard to imagine. Fractal limbs as far as the eye can see. Think they're using them for something else in between fights?" I shifted my posture noncommittally. I'm just saying.

InterestNostalgia. ItWouldBeAnAdventure. UnknownButWithPurpose. "Not really." Rebecca said nothing more. To our audience, it was a sign of her not deigning to entertain my fancies any longer. To me, it was a sign of her focus on the topic.

"Ah~." Ah. Ah…

It took an effort of will to hide the sudden hurt that welled up deep inside of me, shocking me with its intensity. Everyone always decided to leave me in the end, didn't they? Rex. Taylor. And if Rebecca prioritized the unknown over me, even if I followed…

I couldn't stop the shiver that went through my body.

My jaw clenched. Now she knew. I knew she knew. She knew I knew she knew. Ad nauseum. Just another step in the spiraling game that we had enjoyed wrapping each other up in, familiar and warm like a shared sweater on a cold winter day.

NoIt'sNot. The barest flicker of an eye replaced what would have had to been a movement of the head decades ago. An empathetic denial.

Confusion must have been written on my face, because Rebecca stepped closer and laid her hand lightly on my shoulder. The closest gesture we allowed ourselves in public for something intimate. More than a hug or a nuzzle.

It'sNotAnotherStepInTheGame. IChooseYouEveryTime. AnyChallengeInterestsMe. ButYouAreTheOnlyOneWhoMakesMeHappy.

"Cold?" She asked, eyes soft.

"Just a little," I responded with a weak smile, applying the barest pressure back on the tips of her fingers. "I should warm up if I move around."

"Then we should move away from here. Continue our journey." The guide started at the subliminal rebuke for slacking in his duties. Amusement.

I grinned. She learned that from me, folks.

It's amazing what you remember right before you die. Years ago, the hospital room would have been filled with the steady beep of a heart monitor, the noise of the doctors and nurses rushing around outside softened by the door. Nowadays a pod could manage the functions of all that equipment and the room was necessary only for the privacy of the patient.

There was no-one in my room. The few well-wishers I had left yesterday, and the doctor who administered the serum had respectfully closed the door not a minute ago.

The one I wanted to be there had been gone for years. She had stopped getting her backup updated too. I hugged her photo in my arms as I floated in the medical fluid, some picture of the pair of us together at a diplomatic conference in another dimension I didn't care about. Perfectly professional, except for the comforting hand Rebecca had placed on my shoulder right before it was taken.

I flicked off my power, one last time. I was tired. Had been for a while, though I didn't regret it. There were no more obligations left for me. Just rest. The bioplastic frame of the photo dug into my weak arms.

I hope you remember that I chose you too. Every time. From all the way at the start until all the way to the-

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  19. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Yeah, I thought these were lovely looks into the post-ending universe and characters, so I provided just enough corrections to make sure they were "canon compliant", and now I'll go ahead and threadmark them as canon omakes.

Everyone thank the nice person for adding to the story and making me, at least, smile.

20. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

...you know, I was just thinking about re-reading this yesterday.

How fortuitous an excuse!

icesonic, Ichypa, Sol Mark-1 and 3 others like this.
  21. gatewaewanderer

gatewaewanderer Wandering Fool & Intermediate Lurker

Huh. Neat. Certainly don't often see someone not the author of a piece of fanfiction, come along and look at that piece of fanfiction and say "There should be at least a little more to this," and then get the author's permission to do that 'little more,' and more notably in this case, follow through on it. Kudos to both of you then. Didn't really feel hard to slip back into my nearly forgotten Amelia knowledge, either, everything's right there in the text if you're having trouble remembering. ;)

22. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I know, right? Kinda makes ME wanna reread. But maybe later. For now I'll just focus on writing my new story. Adorafying necromancer... because apparently I can't escape body horror stories.

Exactly! I was shocked, myself. I mean, I was the one who encouraged her to post in the story thread instead of showing just me the stuff she cooked up, but other than that she gets all the credit. Really, really solid writing.

23. Per Pale Purpure Sanguine

Per Pale Purpure Sanguine Getting some practice in, huh?

TanaNari is a hard act to follow! I'm grateful he entertained my 'post-story high' ramblings enough to motivate me to write some of my ideas down. These snippits are only pre-ascension and focused on a few pairs, but I think the headspace of all of the canon pairbonds immediately pre- and post-ascension is the most interesting thing. I hope people find my contribution enjoyable (and now I totally understand what TanaNari said about getting all weepy when writing certain parts of the ending).

24. Firedon

Firedon Experienced.

Man, what a blast from the past. I think it was this story that actually brought QQ's existence to my attention and got me here.

Divabot, Ichypa and gatewaewanderer like this.
  25. gatewaewanderer

gatewaewanderer Wandering Fool & Intermediate Lurker

Pretty sure it was the same for me. Or at least, I may have been vaguely aware of QQ's existence before Amelia, but this story is definitely the main reason I signed up for an account here. Pretty sure, anyways. My memory is spotty at the best of times, admittedly, and I have been a member here for at least a few years now.

Edit: The dates match up at least, which makes it pretty likely. This story was posted to this forum on January 2015 and My account says I joined on February 2015.

Ichypa, Dusk Star, Hye and 1 other person like this.
  26. Hye

I know it was the same for me. My very first post on QQ was for Amelia and man, I am happy about that. I should use QQ more, I follow a few stories and have read less than 10 here in the 3 years I've been here.

Ichypa, gatewaewanderer and TanaNari like this.
  27. traviswj

traviswj I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know I definately came to qq for this story too - though it was a fair way along before I found it existed.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  28. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

... Of course, I can't help but notice that a fic that ended 3 years and 8 months ago gets more attention from an omake in one day than my newest project has received in the last 10 days. So, y'know, figuring out how to process that.

29. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

I just discovered you have a new project, looking at it just now I have no idea what it's about so you might want to add a short summary before the start of Midara.

30. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

The fic ended, but the "watch thread" option didn't get removed at the same time, so it has a pre-installed fanbase already in place to see it simply because it showed up in their alerts.