• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Huh.

I wonder if he's going to try and track down his author(s)? It would be an interesting perspective to gain.

Or perhaps the governments of the world will do so. Trying to get inside his head, whether for more enlightenment or Figuring Out His Plans, would be interesting.

I'd actually be curious about whether his author would get an interlude - although, I doubt his author is a Zoat/Tallowyn. Comic Books aren't quite as forgiving of self inserts as fanfics are, what with publishers existing.
[Considers present day comic industry]

You-.

[Remembers Rule 8]

I imagine that right now a convoy of cars with blacked out windows are converging on the author's house and place of business. The SI is unlikely to go looking for him, but is probably going to see him on television in the next few days.
So he could create his Orange lantern corps members?
The problem there is that a) he doesn't have another power source for them b) they lack his skill at draining.

I was rereading and I found an image that doesn't work.
He remembered the times in his own career when he'd been blinded and it had been crippling. Not that he'd been in much danger himself; the attacks that followed had usually hurt without being life-threatening. No, what scared him was the idea that he'd hit someone while he couldn't see where he was going. Or… Miss something.

Justice Segue (part 15)
17th November 2017
09:21 GMT -5

"…leave you now, as I see a deputation from the local government approaching. Remember, I'm an alien invader taking over your planet by force and yet I'm still better than the people running it now. Thank you for your call."

I hang up and shut down the cameras, then create an escalator for the group gathering on the plaza in front of the city hall building. Then I cup my right hand to the side of my face.

"I believe that a red flag was traditional for negotiation!"

There's a little looking around for a moment. Interesting. I don't see the mayor or the governor…

Then a long-serving state senator raises both hands to his mouth. "We don't got one!"

"I'm currently given you a 'D' for effort!" He stares up uncertainly-. "Get up here!"

He marches towards the construct escalator and-. Alright, he's walking up it even though it's moving, my respect for him has increased a little. A few of his braver subordinates -because if he's taking the lead like this then they are, regardless of technicalities- follow. They don't walk up the escalator, so I resolve to ignore them.

The Senator reaches the top and walks towards me, just about avoiding looking like a man walking to his own funeral. Still, there's something-? Ex-military? He's checking sight-lines, potential escape routes, things like that. Pointless given me, but after a certain level of experience it's all automatic.

"I'm Senator Rafael Sandoval."

"And I'm Grayven. Chief-of-Clan-Chiefs, Emperor, Prince Consort…" I shrug. "I'm not big on titles. How'd you get the short straw?"

"They figured you were less likely to kill me."

"Napier considers it gauche to kill people who are dying anyway. I kill people who deserve it. And despite-" I call up my-.

Ping.

-Mother Box's records on the man. "-a few minor campaign finance irregularities, I can see nothing that would warrant that."

He frowns. "Is this about the tobacco money?"

I nod. "Mostly."

"Look, it gives you throat cancer, lung cancer, angina and all kinds of other things. But I don't think there's anyone in this country who doesn't know that by now and if they wanna keep smoking anyway, that's their decision and it's not my place to tell 'em otherwise. Same with drinking or eating meat or any of that other government overreach bullshit."

"I'm not arguing with you on that, I'm just saying that you were a little less than forthright about that viewpoint in some of your campaign meetings and speeches, when people who would probably have changed their views on you if they'd known were there. Still puts you in the top one percent for moral probity. Well done, relatively speaking. What did you want to talk about?"

"Why are you in Dallas?"

"Picked it at random."

"You mind if we evacuate?"

"Not at all. I would never deliberately target innocent civilians, but-."

"Neither did Superman. Didn't help Metropolis."

I nod. "It didn't. That's why I don't mind, so long as it's orderly. By my estimates it will take another five hours for the American Federal Government to get anything here that they'd feel confident throwing at us."

"Air force could get here faster."

"Air force is filled with basically decent men and women who aren't quite as ready to obey their political masters as they were yesterday. Did you.. know about the island?"

"Heard rumours. Thought it was just a conspiracy theory. But that doesn't mean that everyone else is just gunna accept you taking over."

"As opposed to the-."

"The people who do now are on their way out. One way or another. The Second Amendment is for internal enemies, too."

I grin. "Oh, I like the sound of a citizen who knows their business. What would it take to make you accept me taking over?"

"Your broadcasts said you were gunna put people on trial." I nod. "We can handle our own business here in Texas. We'll thank you for your sources, but that's it."

"Acceptable, except Austin."

"Why Austin?"

"Because fuck Austin." A very thin smile appears under his moustache. "Also, it would take too long. The whole restructuring thing needs to start sooner than it would take to finish trials according to normal American processes, even Texan ones. I'm happy to hand the whole thing back after I'm done, assuming you maintain appropriate levels of probity."

"What are you doing that we can't?"

"Using telepaths for gaining evidence and handing down automatic two year sentences for Corruption in Public Office. Also, no Federal review of any kind."

"And what if we did all that?"

I frown. Ring? Oh. That is interesting.

"National Guard got their marching orders, I see. That's jolly refreshing. Alright, I'm game. Give it your best shot."

He relaxes a little. "Taxes."

"I rule seventeen planets. I will raise no taxes. Your money is only useful to me in that it will allow me to more easily reshape your society. In fact, given the businesses I'll be setting up and the technologies I'll be leasing for use by human companies, I fully expect to be a major tax contributor just about everywhere. I require no tax holidays or deferments or… Whatever, that isn't available to other people operating in the same location and industry. The only change I will make to your tax system is that you will start showing sales taxes on the shelves, because that's obnoxious and should have been fixed decades ago."

He doesn't appear to disagree. "You got a development plan?"

I look at the gaggle behind him who have made their way up onto the roof. "Which of your peons is the economist?"

He turns his head towards them and points one young man out. I wave my ring and a binder appears at his feet. "I have done this before. It's online, too, though I included Texas in the 'southern United States region'."

"Military. You said that you need our help to fight some other alien warlord. We don't have any starships, so I'm not sure what you want us to do."

"You do actually have starships. There's one in this state, and a few others in other places. And you should be able to use weapons I build in other places, farm food that can be shipped to my military units engaged in combat, and a handful of people with supernatural abilities can meaningfully involve themselves. But, I do see where you've been going with this, and I have no desire to repeat the British Empire's mistakes that led to the American colonies declaring independence. If you offer aid freely and of your own volition, I won't use force to compel you."

"Okay, but I've got no reason to believe that he's worse than you. He's never come to Earth before."

"No, he sent a small force here about… Five thousand years ago. Left two pieces of his personal organiser, as well as a few odds and ends. Hippolyta…" I wave my right hand in her direction. "Can tell you a slightly slanted version of the event."

He shrugs. "That was five thousand years ago. No one alive today saw it."

"Do you..? Want to?" He frowns. "I can just open a portal to our homeworld. You could have a quick look around, get a feel for the place and what Darkseid plans for the rest of the universe, then come back and report on it."

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"Yes, but no one will attack you. He likes people to know what's coming. I'm more worried about what seeing it will do to your mind, which is why I'm going to put a rope around you so I can pull you out after a minute. That should be… Safe-ish."

He thinks for a moment.

"Yeah. Okay. Show me."

Last edited:
And then he gets to watch them die when they run out of power, so maybe for like a booty call or something but not the emotional support you're implying

Since the reference is to Big Bad Beetle Borgs? The things that Flabber the Phasm summons from comics do not simply run out of power and disappear.

Is he excluding Austin specifically because its the seat of the state legislature and thus letting him handle the bulk of the state government personally? Or is there some other beef with Austin specifically that Grayven has?

17th November 2017
09:21 GMT -5

"…leave you now, as I see a deputation from the local government approaching. Remember, I'm an alien invader taking over your planet by force and yet I'm still better than the people running it now. Thank you for your call."

I hang up and shut down the cameras, then create an escalator for the group gathering on the plaza in front of the city hall building. Then I cup my right hand to the side of my face.
Ah, Renegade. Politicking away even though you don't need to. I suppose it helps make a good impression on your future subjects, if nothing else. And happy subjects are less likely to rebel.

"I believe that a red flag was traditional for negotiation!"

There's a little looking around for a moment. Interesting. I don't see the mayor or the governor…
Interesting. I suppose the 'white flag signals surrender' had to come from somewhere. So there's a signalling lexicon or something?

Then a long-serving state senator raises both hands to his mouth. "We don't got one!"

"I'm currently given you a 'D' for effort!" He stares up uncertainly-. "Get up here!"
Guess the old 'red panic' still lingers here and there. :p

He marches towards the construct escalator and-. Alright, he's walking up it even though it's moving, my respect for him has increased a little. A few of his braver subordinates -because if he's taking the lead like this then they are, regardless of technicalities- follow. They don't walk up the escalator, so I resolve to ignore them.

The Senator reaches the top and walks towards me, just about avoiding looking like a man walking to his own funeral. Still, there's something-? Ex-military? He's checking site-lines, potential escape routes, things like that. Pointless given me, but after a certain level of experience it's all automatic.
Okay, this guy? He's got guts.

"I'm Senator Rafael Sandoval."

"And I'm Grayven. Chief-of-Clan-Chiefs, Emperor, Prince Consort…" I shrug. "I'm not big on titles. How'd you get the short straw?"
Man, imagine getting that call. 'We want you to talk to this alien guy...'

"They figured you were less likely to kill me."

"Napier considers is gauche to kill people who are dying anyway. I kill people who deserve it. And despite-" I call up my-.
Somehow, I get the feeling no-one would recognise that name. Not in this universe, especially. Now, if he'd said 'Joker'...

Ping.

-Mother Box's records on the man. "-a few minor campaign finance irregularities, I can see nothing that would warrant that."
"Really, dear? Keep up that sort of thinking and I might have to prank you." Heh. I suspect a few senators, he'd be obliged to execute on the spot. Probably by letting Seventeen handle them.

He frowns. "Is this about the tobacco money?"

I nod. "Mostly."
At least he wouldn't be alone in that regard.

"Look, it gives you throat cancer, lung cancer, angina and all kinds of other things. By I don't think there's anyone in this country who doesn't know that by now and if they wanna keep smoking anyway, that's their decision and it's not my place to tell 'em otherwise. Same with drinking or eating meat or any of that other government overreach bullshit."
And naturally, that's frowned upon by certain sides. I'm always amused by the almost adversarial relationship between American States and their national government... :rolleyes:

"I'm not arguing with you on that, I'm just saying that you were a little less than forthright about that viewpoint in some of your campaign meetings and speeches, when people who would probably have changed their views on you if they'd known were there. Still puts you in the top one percent for moral probity. Well done, relatively speaking. What did you want to talk about?"
So he's close to that mythical creature, the Honest Politician? :p Now I like him even more.

"Why are you in Dallas?"

"Picked it at random."
Honestly, blame Mother Box, it was her selection.

"You mind if we evacuate?"

"Not at all. I would never deliberately target innocent civilians, but-."
At the level of power involved, there's not that much targetting needed.

"Neither did Superman. Didn't help Metropolis."

I nod. "It didn't. That's why I don't mind, so long as it's orderly. By my estimates it will take another five hours for the American Federal Government to get anything here that they'd feel confident throwing at us."
To be fair, there's probably already people evacuating. No point waiting for official word when you see trouble that obvious.

"Air force could get here faster."

"Air force is filled with basically decent men and women who aren't quite as ready to obey their political masters as they were yesterday. Did you.. know about the island?"
...Let's leave that unsaid, shall we? I have the feeling it'd raise trouble.

"Heard rumours. Thought it was just a conspiracy theory. But that doesn't mean that everyone else is just gunna accept you taking over."

"As opposed to the-."
Well, he might have to bust a few heads. And who's going to stop him, really? At least until the heroes get off their butts...

"The people who do now are on their way out. One way or another. The Second Amendment is for internal enemies, too."

I grin. "Oh, I like the sound of a citizen who knows their business. What would it take to make you accept me taking over?"
And to be fair, that's the kind of response I'd expect from a Texan. Especially a possible former vigilante.

"Your broadcasts said you were gunna put people on trial." I nod. "We can handle our own business here in Texas. We'll thank you for your sources, but that's it."

"Acceptable, except Austin."
Ah, Texas... :rolleyes:

"Why Austin?"

"Because fuck Austin." A very thin smile appears under is moustache. "Also, it would take too long. The whole restructuring thing needs to start sooner than it would take to finish trials according to normal American processes, even Texan ones. I'm happy to hand the whole thing back after I'm done, assuming you maintain appropriate levels of probity."
Renegade, cleaning house one way or another.

"What are you doing that we can't?"

"Using telepaths for gaining evidence and handing down automatic two year sentences for Corruption in Public Office. Also, no Federal review of any kind."
Man, he is just saying all the right things for a Texan audience.

"And what if we did all that?"

I frown. Ring? Oh. That is interesting.
Do you have telepaths, Senator? Though I bet he's happy to agree on the rest.

"National Guard got their marching orders, I see. That's jolly refreshing. Alright, I'm game. Give it your best shot."

He relaxes a little. "Taxes."
Ah, one of the great certainties of Life.

"I rule seventeen planets. I will raise no taxes. Your money is only useful to me in that it will allow me to more easily reshape your society. In fact, given the businesses I'll be setting up and the technologies I'll be leasing for use by human companies, I fully expect to be a major tax contributor just about everywhere. I require no tax holidays or deferments or… Whatever, that isn't available to other people operating in the same location and industry. The only change I will make to your tax system is that you will start showing sales taxes on the shelves, because that's obnoxious and should have been fixed decades ago."
And to be fair, most Earth currency is rather pointless, and utterly worthless to aliens. Short of actual commodities, which they'd probably have better sources for or have simply outgrown.

He doesn't appear to disagree. "You got a development plan?"

I look at the gaggle behind him who have made their way up onto the roof. "Which of your peons is the economist?"
Boy, they're slow. Understandable, though, especially if Sev is there looming.

He turns his head towards them and points one young man out. I wave my ring and a binder appears at his feet. "I have done this before. It's online, too, though I included Texas in the 'southern United States region'."

"Military. You said that you need our help to fight some other alien warlord. We don't have any starships, so I'm not sure what you want us to do."
Well, that can be handled easily enough.

"You do actually have starships. There's one in this state, and a few others in other places. And you should be able to use weapons I build in other places, farm food that can be shipped to my military units engaged in combat, and a handful of people with supernatural abilities can meaningfully involve themselves. But, I do see where you've been going with this, and I have no desire to repeat the British Empire's mistakes that led to the American colonies declaring independence. If you offer aid freely and of your own volition, I won't use force to compel you."
I'm guessing he's talking about that one Kryptonian ship. Surprised it exists here. Unless he means something else.

"Okay, but I've got no reason to believe that he's worse than you. He's never come to Earth before."

"No, he sent a small force here about… Five thousand years ago. Left two pieces of his personal organiser, as well as a few odds and ends. Hippolyta…" I wave my right hand in her direction. "Can tell you a slightly slanted version of the event."
Surprised that sort of thing never made it into any mythology. Then again, Three Thousand BC. We barely know anything about that era. Hell, things get foggy halfway through the second millennium BC

He shrugs. "That was five thousand years ago. No one alive today saw it."

"Do you..? Want to?" He frowns. "I can just open a portal to our homeworld. You could have a quick look around, get a feel for the place and what Darkseid plans for the rest of the universe, then come back and report on it."
...Risky. Better be using a Hush Tube for that visit.

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"Yes, but no one will attack you. He likes people to know what's coming. I'm more worried about what seeing it will do to your mind, which is why I'm going to put a rope around you so I can pull you out after a minute. That should be… Safe-ish."
Even if nothing permanent happens, he's probably going to have some nightmares.

He thinks for a moment.

"Yeah. Okay. Show me."
Brave man. And a personal eye-witness would help the Renegade's position.

Nice to see they're being reasonable folks about all this. Even the army guys might hesitate to open fire without clear orders... Then again, considering the last couple of times superheroes had a big public fight did a hell of a lot of damage, I can see them preferring not to throw hands. That'll be for when the Justice League show up. If any of them do, though I doubt Batman would let this pass.

Is he excluding Austin specifically because its the seat of the state legislature and thus letting him handle the bulk of the state government personally? Or is there some other beef with Austin specifically that Grayven has?
Austin has historically been much more left-wing than the rest of Texas, as I understand it.

I'm guessing he's talking about that one Kryptonian ship. Surprised it exists here. Unless he means something else

There are several ships from the comics that he could be talking about.

Surprised that sort of thing never made it into any mythology. Then again, Three Thousand BC. We barely know anything about that era. Hell, things get foggy halfway through the second millennium BC

I mean, it probably did make it into the myths, but over time the various human cultures changed the story so that it fit into their religious beliefs.

Lots of religions have battles between good and evil, order and chaos, so the Apokoliptians would have been changed to fit into whatever the locals believed in.

I imagine once people found out that this Senator wasn't among the despicable and corrupt, at least in this city or state, his credibility and trustworthiness went through the roofs, which is why he's leading "negotiations" with Grayven.

Wonder what his stance will be once he's witnessed Apokolyps. It's not a pretty sight for mind or soul, but even with that it'd feel so strange for a US politician to suddenly decide that joining an alien conqueror is for the best.

"Look, it gives you throat cancer, lung cancer, angina and all kinds of other things. By I don't think there's anyone in this country who doesn't know that by now and if they wanna keep smoking anyway, that's their decision and it's not my place to tell 'em otherwise. Same with drinking or eating meat or any of that other government overreach bullshit."
That should say 'But'.

Honestly surprised he didn't keep filming. That discussion was surprisingly genial and persuasive.

"I rule seventeen planets.
Curious how he got that number. Does it only count planets in that specific universe? Does it include planets he controls but does not directly or officially govern? Does it include any living planets he managed to recruit into his corps?

"Yes, but no one will attack you. He likes people to know what's coming.
While Darkseid might be a truly absolute ruler his ability to micromanage is limited. The odds of him noticing a visitor and ordering them spared quickly enough is fairly low.

"Yeah. Okay. Show me."
I'm absolutely gushing over this chapter and arc! The Senator walking up the escalator, the "fuck" Austin, to the Texas view of taking care of their own internal matters themselves! I just love it!

A bit surprised no one brought up the border and immigration problem during the chapter. On one hand it's not hard to figure out, if he conquers Texas, Mexico and everywhere else. The concept of national border and illegal immigration won't really be a thing. But on the other hand, I could easily believe someone asking that anyways, because it's such a talking point here. That and…well not everyone is gonna think through these ramifications.

I doubt it's anything personal on Graven's part or has anything to due with the fact it's the State capital. This is just a commonly held sentiment because of very different political views.

Austin has historically been much more left-wing than the rest of Texas, as I understand it.
You got it in one. They're still Texans, but their like the black sheep of the "family".

Ehh,, I don't care for Texas, but you're British. Glass houses.
Ain't got a problem with you saying stuff like that. I respect your right to free speech. Everyone's gonna have a reason to not like somewhere else.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about Texas you don't care for?

The problem there is that a) he doesn't have another power source for them b) they lack his skill at draining.
If he uses their body as a template to firm up and recreate them thru his ring wouldn't they last as long as he?
Since the reference is to Big Bad Beetle Borgs? The things that Flabber the Phasm summons from comics do not simply run out of power and disappear.
Also this Mr Zoat.
Neither did Superman. Didn't help Metropolis."
I'd argue that General Zod picked that place, if blame assigning is what's goin on here.
his

I was rereading and found an image that doesn't work.
I chuckle quietly to myself. "Oh, for a world full of rational people." Ah. "How are..? You and your parents..?"

Edit: Found more images that don't work.
And then there's… This fellow. One eye, blue skin, some sort of mace-staff whose head is glowing with orange light. No, he hasn't integrated his personal lantern into it, he's just augmenting it with his ring. He flies into the open-sided corridor I'm walking along and lands just in front of me.
He descends into one of the fighting pits, a small group I identify as cronies waiting in the stands. The hulking male glances up for a moment and then returns to gorging himself from the bowls of food around him. His desires appear to focus around hunting, eating and claiming territory. Dox put a note in his file indicating that he's an experiment. He should instinctively go from full-on combat mode to gorge mode to near-hibernation with little in between. Which would mean that the extremes of mood which come with orange rings might not matter. I'll be curious to see how that plays out.
They're images of Zartok, Grood, and Drusa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back