1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Sage's Journey (Original Xianxia)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by ChandraMagic, Aug 20, 2017.

1. cezyou

cezyou Know what you're doing yet?

[X] Meditate on what you have discovered

Though maybe map-buying is good too.

2. Sue Donim

Sue Donim Making the rounds.

Yeah I'll swap to
    [X] Buy a map

3. gammoregan

gammoregan I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X] Buy a map

Let us meditate upon this wisdom now.

4. ChandraMagic

ChandraMagic Just a Bit Ditzy Moderator

Hm, I thought I'd posted this, but I guess with all the stuff going on for me yesterday, I forgot. ANYWAY!

We are currently sitting on a tie, so yeah, voting will continue for longer, and I cackle gleefully as I get more voters (because more votes is always nice).

Vote Tally : A Sage's Journey (Original Xianxia) | Page 2 | Questionable Questing [Posts: 46-63]
    ##### NetTally 1.9.9

[X] Meditate on what you have discovered
    No. of Votes: 5

[X] Buy a map
    No. of Votes: 5

[X] Read more of the book
    No. of Votes: 1

Total No. of Voters: 11

Winged One likes this.
  5. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

[X] Buy a map

6. Threadmarks: 0.3 - Mapmaker, Mapmaker, make me a map to Enlightenment
    ChandraMagic

I’m sorry, between exciting (in a good way) things happening, me being a bit, hm, lazy regarding this quest seeing as it is in the SFW section of QQ and thus, kind of barren, the tie, and me recently getting back into XCOM: Long War (I’m trying a French MEC Rush campaign; it’s fun. Except when I’m raging at thinman bullshit).

So yeah, here’s the next part. Finally?

After purchasing a new pair of sandals, and realising that it isn’t that the sandals are too hard, or too soft, but that they haven’t been properly broken in yet. You have not learned how to walk in these particular sandals, and the sandals have not learned how to shelter and protect your feet properly. So much philosophy in this, it is unreal.

That’s neither here nor there, as you are now flipping the idea of either going off to meditate and think on that glimpse of Something, or just going to buy a map. Both options have their appeal. Meditating may help you digest this new way of looking at things, and make the idea that you may be a Sage settle properly. On the other hand, the map, well, look what happened after you went off to buy sandals?

What could a map do?

Turns out, nothing.

Well, not nothing, you did find some spectacular maps, and yes, even bought some, on the off chance you do leave the city and go travelling. You honestly wouldn’t mind, and the old man that sold the maps looked so alive when he explained the exotic places you could see that you swear you could almost taste it.

Alas, it was only a woman with too much makeup and perfume. Still, it’s sparked a wanderlust in you, that you can say. You just have to come to a decision on how and what you want to go about this. Either not going on a journey and living a cold, miserable life in the city, or a cold, miserable life on the road.

You aren’t going to romantic it up. Your parents have told you what it was like when the moved to the city, after all. Rain and mud and bugs and predatory animals. Oh, there were good things too, they told you, but they also cautioned you to remember that even if it looks good, sounds good, and feels good, that there is some drawback. Some hardship you must persevere through.

Nothing good is free.

Which is about where your thoughts stop as you turn the corner and see, standing outside of the family’s bakery, a couple of thugs. One of them holding a bottle with a blackened rag hanging out of it. You aren’t up on all the tools of thuggery, but you are sure that bottle is meant to catch fire.

Since they are standing outside the bakery, and gestating at it, you surmise they must be with the thug you, and your dad, beat up the day before. Hunh, looks like the people the thug runs with got annoyed at his inexplicable ability to garner multiple blows to the head, and a jail stay, when trying to shake down a simple bakery.

This, this is a problem. You do not want the bakery to burn down. You also do not want these thugs to trouble you and your family any more. Unfortunately, you do not know what to do. You could go and flail at them like a...like a flailing person. You could hide out and when they run off, you could follow them back to their hideout, but that would mean the ruin of the bakery in a fire.

Or you could run and get help, but that would take too long, you suspect, and the bakery would be on fire and the thugs would be running away..

What do now?

[X] Flail at the thugs
    [X] Run to get help
    [X] Wait and follow the thugs

Again, none of the voting choices are traps, they are just different paths to follow. Obviously, each path comes with consequences, but they also bring with them rewards, even if you do not see them.

And since the 'reward' from this one will not appear for a bit, and by then, people won't make the connection. Since you took the buy a map option, you will have more options when you do finally go on the road (because we all know it will happen, eventually), and some other miscellaneous things that I haven't fully decided on yet.

7. Lydia

Lydia Versed in the lewd.

[X] Flail at the thugs

8. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

Sure, but that doesn't mean we're not in for a lot of pain for ignoring those goons if we don't want the bakery to burn down.

[X] Flail at the thugs

9. ChandraMagic

Like I said, consequences. Sometimes, yes, the vote is easy, and sometimes it baffles me the direction people go, and the consequences they don't care about. Also, I wanted to actually get this out tonight and not fall asleep before getting to it again.

Winged One likes this.
  10. Winged One

I think I sort of deluded myself into thinking this exact thing wouldn't happen.

11. ChandraMagic

Possibly, I mean. I always had a plan for two more thugs to appear, because reasons. The real question was 'what would you be doing when that happened?' and now we know. You were coming back from shopping for some new sandals, and a map or three.

12. weeksauce

weeksauce Getting out there.

Well, that was kind of obvious in hindsight... Or at least a logical follow up. I guess I thought we would have more time?

In any case we respect and love our parents. Lets not burn down the house. Flailing it is! Especially since we have sage-level flailing.

[X] Flail at the thugs

... and yeah. Why isn't this quest on SB/SV?

13. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

I was actually absolutely certain this would happen. However, I don't see how we could have possibly done anything to stop it, other than perhaps convince our parents to run from the city and abandon the shop.
    I mean, we could have voted to learn to fight... but as QM confirmed we would have trouble finding a teacher, and even if we did find one it would mean less than a day of training.

[X] Flail at the thugs

Good point, if you are not gonna have smut...

14. Raron

Raron Experienced.

[X] Flail at the thugs

15. ChandraMagic

There are a couple of things that were a factor, all of them the choices made up until now.

For a couple of reasons. One, I swore I would never put anything I wrote up on SV because I did not and do not care for some of their policies. Two, I like QQ more than I like the other two sites. Three, if I wanted more voters, than yeah, I could have, but in the end, I see this as me supporting more people posting stuff on QQ, yes even in the SFW section. Four, there are other things, but I just woke up and my brain is mush still.

16. cezyou

cezyou Know what you're doing yet?

[X] Flail at the thugs

I like this reason best of your three. All three are some of the best reasons to avoid a site, but this is a very good reason.

17. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

[X] Flail at the thugs

We must end this injustice!

18. Sue Donim

Sue Donim Making the rounds.

I'm trying to think of compelling reasons not to flail at the thugs- "no trap votes" means they must exist.
    So far I've got very little.
    "No bakery to tie us down" which is less of an upside and more of a really rose-tinted way of looking at a downside, and... not getting our ass beat.
    This suggests to me we aren't winning this fight.

EDIT: disregard that! I thought of better things!
    My guesses are now the following:
    Getting help means we meet someone new and interesting, but bakery burns down.
    Following thugs obviously we find head thug and can more thoroughly deal with this problem, but bakery burns down.

Winged One likes this.
  19. Winged One

What is victory, though?

In more plain terms, if we get our asses kicked but save our family's livelihood, isn't that a lot like winning the fight?

weeksauce likes this.
  20. ChandraMagic

So, firstly, sorry for the delay in getting an update out. The news coming out of Houston has put a damper on my writing, so it's been slowed to a crawl. I mean, I'm not even affected, really, but the level of 'holy fuck' has just left me kind of numb.

Anyway, I am currently trying to map out the update right now, so that is progress!

Generally, yeah, you are following the right path. I mean, it's not exact, but there's a general idea that you are on the right thinking wavelength.

(FAKE) EDIT: I have started putting words down! Woohoo!

weeksauce, Lydia and Raron like this.
  21. moop

moop Lurker

So, you keep using naval gazing. Naval gazing is looking at shipyards. Meanwhile, navel gazing is meditating, so you probably mean navel instead of naval. Thanks for the cool quest though :).

Winged One likes this.
  22. ChandraMagic

I probably did, and I thought I had changed all of them, ah well. I'll probably fix that up when I have a free moment. In the meantime, I am continuing to plug away at a fight scene that wants to keep being rewritten so it doesn't suck.

Winged One and moop like this.
  23. Winged One

Well, presumably Lotus will think it sucks regardless of actual quality. :p

24. ChandraMagic

Well, yeah, but I felt it was crap and needed to be rewritten, twice.

I feel I ended up cheaping out in the end, but still, I have it finished and I will post it shortly.

25. Threadmarks: 0.4 - Flailing Commences
    ChandraMagic

Flailing commences!

You blink once, twice. You do not even think, you just react.

One of the sandals you are, or were, carrying, is suddenly flying through the air to impact the thug with the fire bomb, causing him to drop it...just as he lit it. Which is good, as it hit the ground and shattered, causing a pool of flame to appear, and distract the two men. This gives you enough time to throw your other sandal, and impact the other thug, knocking him off balance enough that he stumbles.

Right into the flame puddle.

With nary a care, you drop the rest of your packages -two maps, a bundle of string, and sadly, a very good beef bowl- and sprint the rest of your way towards the thugs as they are still disoriented. Along the way, you grab a pole -used to light and extinguish lampposts- leaning against, well, a lamppost. Lucky you that someone left it there.

You skid to a stop just at the edge of the puddle of flames and pain, wobbling on your feet and gripping the pole -like you have seen those monks, out by the monastery, hold their sticks- tightly in both hands. With a squick, you try to hit the thug that is turning even now towards you and raising his hand as he scrambles out of the fire.

Bend, don’t break. Be the good sandal, not the new sandal, not the old sandal.

Hunh, that...makes some sense, and while you are drifting in your own head, the thug takes a swipe at you, even as fire crawls up his left leg. Which you block, barely, with the pole, though you are forced to take a step back, else you be overbalanced and tumble down. That would be bad.

“Shit! You lil’ cunt, you set me on fire,” the thug you’re currently dealing with shouts at you and takes a swipe at you with one of his hands, his other patting at his leg as he hops and tries to put himself out.

You can’t help but squeak as you block the swipe with the pole, though the wooden impromptu weapon breaks in half, leaving a piece in each of your hands. You also stumble back and fall on your cute bum. Thankfully, you fell away from the burning pool of fire, and just landed on packed dirt. Unfortunately, you are now on the ground, your opponent(s) are above you, if hopping around on fire, and you have dropped your weapon(s).

Flipping onto your hands and knees, you scrabbling away from the the thugs, hearing a thump, and then another thump, as the thugs stop, drop, and roll. Only...you feel a big hand wrap around your ankle and start tugging you backwards!

“What, nonono! Getoffgetoffgetoff!” you screech, as you roll onto your back and kick the thug in the face repeatedly, trying to get him to let you go. It doesn’t work and you are dragged, kicking and screaming towards the thug, as the other thug gets up, more slowly as he savours the fact that you can’t go anywhere.

Until one of your flailing legs nails him in the crotch. You honestly weren’t aiming there, but you will take what you can get. Oh, hey, thug two let you go, to mimic his buddy and grab his groin in sympathy. This lets you flip back on your hands and knees and get up to your feet again.

With a grunt, you kick the sympathising thug in his ugly face before you turn and run back to the bakery. Making as much noise as you can, in the hope that someone, anyone, will come help. To no avail apparently, as you see doors and windows close instead. Not the bakery, of course, but everywhere else. And it is oddly bereft of people.

Well.

You pick up a bamboo umbrella someone has carelessly left lying on the road and twirl it around in your hand, before turning and setting yourself for the thugs. They will not pass. Hopefully, you can hold them long enough for father to get his wok into play.

“Oh, Resplendent Lotus, the things you get yourself caught up into,” you hear father behind you, and you glance to the side just enough to see him step up beside you, weidling his wok of headbashing. I thought mother and I told you not to get into any more trouble?”

“But father, they were going to burn the bakery,” you protest, your lips turning into a pout as you stamp your foot. “They deserve to get their butts kicked!”

“Yes, yes, but it doesn’t have to be you that does it,” mother fusses as she pulls up on the other side of you, holding a...is that a sword? Oh, that’s the replica sword that your mother puts on display in the front room.

“Shit, we gotta tell the boss ‘bout this,” says the thug you nailed in the groin, still a bit hunched over before he turns and starts to hobble/run away. HIs partner in crime, literally, follows right behind him.

What do now?

[X] Stay here
    (make sure your parents are safe)

[X] Apprehend the thugs
    (Stop the thugs to turn over to the subprefects)

[X] Follow the thugs
    (Try to find the thugs base)

Ugh, I forgot how hard writing fighting scenes are. Especially when the main protag doesn't know how to fight. Ah well; I think I am getting better.

lurk, TheosGhost, Stylph and 13 others like this.
  26. Winged One

[X] Apprehend the thugs

We can't be having them tell their boss shit. Not until we've had a chance to git gud.

27. Raron

Raron Experienced.

[X] Follow the thugs

The boss probably has some fingers into the local police or the police are incompetent if the thugs are brave enough to set up a house on fire in a city. The most logical conclusion is to try to neutralize the threat. If the thugs go missing they will know it was us, and we will be back to square one.

28. Lydia

Lydia Versed in the lewd.

[X] Stay here
    We have completed the set.

29. weeksauce

weeksauce Getting out there.

[X] Follow the thugs

I sure hope we'll not be dumb enough to try and storm the base, if we even find it. But otherwise? Apprehending the thugs probably won't change a thing. Two thugs more or less won't really matter to their boss. Not that we can do much about it for now, assuming that the city is as corrupt (or helpless) as it seems.

So from all the options this at least might give us information ... I hope. Well, and I hope there's no reason for the bakery to be attacked twice.

30. moop

moop Lurker

[X] Apprehend the thugs