1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Sage's Journey (Original Xianxia)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by ChandraMagic, Aug 20, 2017.

1. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

it looks good to me as is

2. Threadmarks: 0.1 - The Original Troll's Book
    ChandraMagic

ChandraMagic Just a Bit Ditzy Moderator

Hm, not quite as long as I would have liked, but then, I am not going for a minimum word count here! I am just trying to entertain~

While your father, and mother, dealt with the subprefect sent around to take the thug away, you quietly and efficiently, hide the book that had been a fan but was now a book and that confuses the hell out of you, but you roll with it, and just hide the book. No need to reveal it for now. You want to read it first.

It’s not your fault you enjoy reading.

More troubling though, is when you mentioned the strange woman before the subprefect had shown up to your parents, neither had seen her. Which is impossible, because either she had to come through the front, and pass by you and your mother, or go through the back, and pass by your father. Thankfully, you managed to pass it off as thinking you had seen someone go in or out, and not having talked to the person.

Either way, while your parents are dealing with the subprefect, you get stuck with the task of cleaning the front room up. Which wouldn’t be too bad, if you hadn’t broken the broom, and mother is not happy about that. Not in the slightest, judging by the look in her eye as she looked at the remains of said sweeper upper. So you have to pick everything up by hand, or sweep with a rag to gather up bits of broken stuff.

It’s annoying work, and a punishment you don’t think you deserve, considering you stopped the thug from harming mother, or yourself, or taking what little money the bakery brings in. Nonetheless, when you have finished that, you head to your tiny room, and pull out the book.

You’re not sure what you will find in it, but you suspect something interesting, or at least unique. It is with mild trepidation that you crack open ‘Baby’s First Enlightenment: How to start a Sage’s Journey right’ to the first chapter, and begin to read:

Shoes...really? I-if one of the Immortals really did write this, then why are they talking about shoes? This makes no sense! This book is weird and must be a fake, a trick. But, just in case, you will read on a bit more….

Maps now? What is this? A book on Sages, or..or...a travel itinerary?!

“Resplendent Lotus, I have been calling you for the last ten minutes!” your mother chastises you suddenly from your bedroom doorway. “Go to bed! The sun has long gone down and we wake in only six hours! You will need your rest if you are to help your father. Go go, put the light out and go to sleep!”

“Y-yes mother, of course mother,” you chirp, startled by her words. Did it really take you all day to read just that? Where has the time gone? Shaking yourself, you tuck your book away in a hiding place, and blow out the light after your mother withdraws from your room.

You will worry about it tomorrow. For now, you will sleep.

So, you have begun reading the book given to you by Sun Wukong (and if you hadn’t realized it was Sun Wukong, you should be ashamed of yourself. I don’t think I could have telegraphed that any harder, dammit), but time moves on and a new day approaches. What will you do in the new light of dawn?
    [X] Continue to read the Book
    [X] Find some good shoes
    [X] Look for good maps of Catai
    [X] Find a Sifu to teach you to punch people in the face
    [X] Ignore yesterday and go back to your regular routine

Just as a warning, I will probably not be writing more excerpts from the book, since I have little idea on what should go in it in the first place.

Also, just as a thing, none of the votes are bad. Some of them are...suboptimal, depending on what you are looking for, but again, none of them are objectively bad, or worse than any of the others. They just signify a different road travelled. Kind of poignant considering the quest's subject matter, actually! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Stylph, molemole, steamrick and 13 others like this.
  3. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

*is ashamed* :(

I don't think Lotus' mind is quite full of fuck enough to be described as realizing she knows nothing.

Isn't that, like, exactly what the book said not to do?

Aoinfinity likes this.
  4. gammoregan

gammoregan I trust you know where the happy button is?

I thought the book said not to do this, that we need good shoes, not comfy ones.

Edit: ninja'd

5. ChandraMagic

Ouch, I thought I had telegraphed it well enough, but then, I have the benefit of writing this

And no, Lotus' mind isn't fully opened to the fact that she knows nothing and is nothing. That's why it's the start of a journey. There's some metaphysical thing that I could get into, but I want to wait for Lotus stumble into the mindspace before I explain it in character.

The book said not to find too comfy of shoes. Comfy shoes is okay. Too comfy shoes is not okay. Not comfy enough shoes are not okay.

But I probably meant to write 'good' shoes anyway, so I will change it to that.

see above. Probably I meant to type good, and all, so I changed it to 'find good shoes'.

Winged One likes this.
  6. Winged One

Hm... honestly, it's probably really good advice. That's most likely the joke. However, without that realization, I don't see why Lotus would make travel arrangements.

On the other hand, "go back to your regular routine" sounds like a tra... wait, that's what you mean by saying there's no trap options.

[X] Ignore yesterday and go back to your regular routine

Aoinfinity likes this.
  7. LordVile

LordVile I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X] Find some good shoes

Sis Samuel Vimes approves.
    Though he prefers bad shoes.

mrttao and Winged One like this.
  8. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

knowing nothing

insert spit take here

I thought sun wukong was a male monkey, not a female human

[X] Find some good shoes

This is too hilarious to not do

Winged One likes this.
  9. ChandraMagic

Sun Wukong is whatever Sun Wukong wants to be. More seriously, Sun Wukong was in cunning disguise. This is why the fan hiding half his face. His general body shape seemed to conform to human female, and the part of his face that wasn't hidden by the fan appeared to conform to human female, and his voice conformed to human female, so naturally, Lotus thought he was a human female. I tried to give hints, like the mentioning of a furry face, and the holding the fan up without using his hands, and the disappearing furry appendage, but I guess this is a case of me knowing what is going on, and being biased because of it.

Anyway, Sun Wukong, original troll.

Kinematics, Winged One and mrttao like this.
  10. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

I think you mean original monkey.
    There is a reason they call it monkey business.

Winged One likes this.
  11. Raron

Raron Experienced.

[X] Continue to read the Book

12. Lydia

Lydia Versed in the lewd.

[X] Find some good shoes

13. Kshail

Kshail Not too sore, are you?

[X] Find some good shoes

Eh I just thought it was a random female character with animal characteristics...no reason for a literally legendary figure to show up. Bit out of the blue imo. Unless Wukong does that for everyone who wants to be a sage or something.

Winged One likes this.
  14. ChandraMagic

It's a Xianxia. It's always going to be some weird metaphysical buillshit. it'll always be that legendary master. Except when it isn't, of course.

Anyway, yes. There is a reason that Sun Wukong is kicking around.

15. Threadmarks: 0.2 - Shoes, Sandals, and Enlightenment
    ChandraMagic

[X] Find some good shoes
    No. of Votes: 4

Having thought of it, I should have used sandals instead of shoes, but alas and alack, I didn’t use sandals, I used shoes. What this means is that I will be using sandals instead of shoes from here on in. I will not be changing it in the previous, part, at least, not right now, because of confusion reasons.

In the morning, you wake to mother pounding on the door, calling for you to get up and get moving, so you can help with setup. It’s a pain, but you drag yourself out of your comfy bed and get to go about your morning routine. When your gaze flicks past the hiding spot for the book underneath your pillow, you pause and almost, almost grab it.

In the end, you pass it by and just continue to get ready, absently putting your hair into a topknot to keep it out of the way. You have work to do, and maybe, after the morning chores, you can head off and see if you can find some sandals. You have been meaning to get a new pair for a bit now, after all.

You’d honestly forgotten until the book, which you somehow spent hours reading and not realizing it, had reminded you. So, uh, thank you Sun Wukong, whoever they are.

Either way, you put it out of your mind, as you go about the carting and carrying and cleaning and talking to early customers, and so on and so forth. It’s a grind, and it’s every morning, but you are used to it and it is life and you kind of want out now. Yes, a journey does sound good and different.

But you do not want to abandon your family. Mother and Father do rely on you, after all, and you know one or two of the customers come in and buy stuff simply because they hope to gain a glimpse of you. Or so they say.

Well, no matter, you just need to finish carrying this rack of steamed buns and then you can get cleaned up, put on clothes that do not smell like a bakery, and go see if you can find a good pair of sandals.

Yuzhou.

The city within which you live. It is loud and judgemental and bright. It is also comfortable, known, and predictable. You are fairly sure you didn’t like the city at the beginning, when you moved here at the age of four, but it’s grown on you and while you still can’t say you love the place, you don’t hate it. Or at least, you dislike it less.

It’s noisy most hours of the day, and it smells of burnt oil,of sweat, of blood, and of waste. It’s not clean, and it can never be clean. Not with the hundreds, if not thousands, of people living in such a packed place. Worse still, is Face.

Face. Looking respectable, while wallowing in human filth. That’s father’s opinion on the matter, although he too tries to look maintain Face. If only so our customers don’t abandon us because of some preconceived notion. Mother though, she loves it. Is in her element when she is working on gaining Face.

Or helping others lose it.

You, you do not care either way. It is what it is and you live with it and let push you when it will not hurt, but hold firm when it conflicts with your own priorities. Something about bamboo bending and flexibility or some such saying you heard ages ago.

Neither too hard, nor too soft what a minute.

You are frozen in time. The whole world seems to have stopped and your breath is harsh in your ears. Your heart pumps loudly, rhythmically. The Blood pounds in your ears. Your vision narrows to just pinpricks and you know nothing else of the world except the nothing you are viewing.

You feel empty, adrift. Lost. That little spark, burning behind your navel gets hotter, brighter, bruning you to ash, only for your heart to *Ba-Bum* refresh you, reshape you. Make you unburnt, unbowed and new again. Ready for that white hot fire to burn you to ash again.

The cycle repeats and you feel Eternity. You understand the need for good sandals. Neither too hard, too tough that they hurt your self, nor to soft, that they let your self be harmed. Further, it makes sense, and you can see the way that your Way and The Way flow, how they interact, how they merge, how they-

“Oi,don’t be stopping in the middle of the street, girlie!” shouts a large, rotund man as he hauls a cart behind him, having barely stopped himself from hitting you. “Now get; I have deliveries to make and you are holding up traffic!”

-and you have lost it. It’s gone, all gone. You dimly feel yourself shuffling out of the way as you shed tears at the loss. It was...you can’t explain it, you can barely remember but a fragment of it, but you can feel at least some of it, some of that knowledge, inside you. You’re...you’re not sure how to reconnect to it, to learn that just out of reach knowledge, but you will.

Now that you know it exists, that it is right there, you will grab it, and you will learn it. You will know Something. Your Way has told you that, told you it will lead you there.

But for now...for now, you will go buy a new pair of sandals.

After buying sandals, what will you do?

[X] Buy a map
    [X] Read more of the book
    [X] Learn to face punch.
    [X] Meditate on what you have discovered

Hm, not exactly how I envisioned it coming out, but I guess it is what it is. I think I managed to communicate everything I wanted to communicate, but I guess only time will tell if I did or not.

Stylph, molemole, steamrick and 12 others like this.
  16. Lydia

Lydia Versed in the lewd.

17. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

hahaha, awesome. we got enlightment... and then it was interrupted by a random rude person.

18. Winged One

I suspect it has something to say on the matter that will be more helpful than flailing around in the dark.

mrttao likes this.
  19. Raron

Raron Experienced.

20. Kshail

Kshail Not too sore, are you?

Grab as much of that enlightenment as we can while it's still around then back to the book I think.

21. LordVile

LordVile I trust you know where the happy button is?

22. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

maybe, or maybe we need to raise our cultivation before we can go further. after all, we spent 5 hours reading 2 sentences

Winged One likes this.
  23. weeksauce

weeksauce Getting out there.

This 'Sun Wukong' this book knew something was up. Might as well follow the guide for now.

24. ChandraMagic

Well, you read a bit more than that. I just didn't type it all out, because even I could only go so far with the metaphor before I ran out of steam. That said, you didn't read a lot. Like, say, 10-20 pages of 200 or so in about 5-6 hours.

mrttao likes this.
  25. Sue Donim

Sue Donim Making the rounds.

I'd vote meditate, but I sort of suspect this path to enlightenment encourages more... active participation.

As in, I suspect deliberately meditating on what we read will do jack shit, and we'll only get anything out of it when we really aren't expecting to.

26. ChandraMagic

The only thing I will say is that meditation will do...something. What will happen when you do so I will not say, but it will move the quest forward, all the same. Perhaps not in a way that people expect, or perhaps in a way people expect. Yeah, I'm being bit wishy washy with my statement, but the only thing I will firmly state is that there are no trap options. No tricks. Just different paths for things to travel along.

lamashu, Winged One and mrttao like this.
  27. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

[X] Buy a map

In retrospect, the book didn't say meditate, it said buy shoes, then buy a map. we had great progress from buying shoes. so let's do what the book said and buy a map

28. weeksauce

weeksauce Getting out there.

[X] Buy a map

..dang it.

mrttao likes this.
  29. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

[X] Buy a map

30. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Vote Tally : A Sage's Journey (Original Xianxia) | Page 2 | Questionable Questing [Posts: 46-59]
    ##### NetTally 1.9.9
    No. of Votes: 4
    [X] Buy a map
    No. of Votes: 3
    No. of Votes: 2
    Total No. of Voters: 9

very close vote.