1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Another telekinetic surge, this one grabbing objects at random.

There's a momentary increase of the force...

She nearly trips as it falls an inch onto my supports, but then steadies herself-.

I grab it with a construct and pull it up as I float towards her.

"Do you know what he dialed?"
    (Not sure here, but it tripped the spellcheck...)

She takes the dial from my construct and holds it out to me.

...and then yank and dial!

No, can't stop now.

We came here because it was our only lead...

Huh, so they were clones after all. Pick up the phone, Stsword called it!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Ardy, Mr Zoat and MJM4444 like this.
  2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

You know what would likely work - what with all this talk of shounen heroes and Paul being a lot like one - an alternate Paul in a JoJo’s Bizzare Adventure based universe, since a ring’s power seems very comparable to that of a stand and fights have the same figure out how to use your ability in a clever way so you can win mentality to them that the best Jojo fights all have, while also having the characters remain semi-subtle about their abilities (though why more people don’t notice the visible effects of the invisible fights taking place in that is a bit of a mystery.)
    If you set it in the far future (with the snake OL that was in the Ambush Bug verse) you could have him use a snake projection as a fake stand.
    Though that’s mostly just an idea that seems like it could be cool.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

This is causing me so many problems at the moment.
    Actually, I need to take a space out.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Not in my country, colonial.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I can imagine. Jumped-Up Elementals only know what SV would have made of it ;)

Ah, going for rushed, breathless panic. Got it.

Colonial, true, though still part of the Commonwealth. I only included it because of the Spellcheck ping. Dang US dictionary.

5. Revlis

Revlis Getting sticky.

Thats not dialling in reverse.

OrigamiPhoenix, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 2 others like this.
  6. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

I read them at my local library, you could ask them to order it in for you or you could buy on Amazon.

Another pretty good superhero series YA series would be quantum prophecy

7. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Biggest issue I see is that stands are psychically generated. The ring should be able to scan for unusual neurological activity, making the hiding abilities and finding the stand user phases of fights completely pointless. Like, figuring out Diavolo would be much easier than in canon if you could just scan for him, then attack from orbit. "Ring scan for anything shaped like the stand arrows, and subspace them."

t-dugong likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  9. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Wonder what will happen to them when this is all over, some kinda League protective relocation or something?

From what she said they are involuntary minions with mental compulsions to do certain things, maybe Manhunter can get rid of those?

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul... If anyone had the ability to track down the dial they already would have...

11. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

The much smaller userbase here is really starting to show in the comments, now that the hype has died down.

12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

The League should really have a deprogramer on call.

t-dugong likes this.
  13. Zeromaru2

Zeromaru2 Versed in the lewd.

I think it's more, Paul's hoping she might have another lead. This one's pretty much a wash

14. Mr Zoat

You're not wrong. Or maybe they've all been banned.

15. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Takes a second to build up the care to make an account. Give it time.

I've been thinking about replacements for the Twin Blade, didn't Gaia make a adamantine sickle for some g-d killing?

Prince Charon likes this.
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No idea.

The Titans did create the Flashing Blade, but Zoat won't use that because it's even more OP.

It kills beings as powerful as gods by stealing their power and giving it to the killer.

Although I amuse myself with the mental image of an alt.Paul who is a Lord of Chaos after killing Klarion.

17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

But stands are also unique and since therefore there might not be a specific obvious pattern to look for, and everyone has unique neurological patterns anyways, that might not help. Likewise, for all we know like a tenth or a hundredth of the world’s population might be capable of getting a stand under certain conditions, but not actually have one(correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s what it seemed like with the 20 or so stand users we saw who happened to be in a small town like Morioh) so there might be too much background noise/ too many possible stand users in the city to reasonably check. Likewise, the ring (not being a stand user/ enlightened / body less soul/ capable of independent thought or whatever plot device could make Paul able to see stands) might not even be able to directly detect stands beyond what Paul can see or even just their physical effects (like displaced air) and Paul lacks any real detailed world-scanning ability that can get past certain protection (except the quintescence waveform scan or whatever it’s called, which has only been used like once and might not be available/ take too long) - similarly to how the ring can get confused with DC magic, since stands are similar in that they’re a form of psychic energy.
    Likewise, Paul getting into a fight with a stand he can’t directly see, due to not being a stand user for example, would be interesting in that he’d be fighting an invisible enemy with limited powers, but with ones that defy the obvious rules of logic, and an obvious weakness in that it has a user that might have to remain conscious to use it.
    Likewise, Grayven might actually be a closer matchup due to not being overly OP as a lantern user when it comes to scans, and god sense working as a plot reason to be able to see stands.

OrigamiPhoenix likes this.
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Zatanna/Paul might be able to find the dial if she/he had an example or a photograph to work off of.

19. Stsword

If Paul makes a DC trivia check he might look up Josie Mac- the psychic Gotham PD detective who has the power to find and speak with lost items.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If Magic was able to locate the dial the wizard that's looking would have already located it.

21. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not entirely sure that he is actually a Wizard, or if that's just what he calls himself.

22. Stsword

There is no wizard looking for it, the Master and the Wizard reintegrated years ago, the clone is following orders from a guy who doesn't even exist anymore.

If Zoat is keeping to the comics in that regard, the Wizard is the one who made the 'inferior dial" that created the Scintillating Psionist. So if he wasn't an actual wizard it was a largely semantic difference at his level.

From the conversation though, Paul assumed the Master made them and the clone didn't correct him, so he might not be.

Ardy likes this.
  23. Sad Machine

Sad Machine Unshackled Unclaimed

Y'know I wanna read this from the start...ive never read a single renegade part and now im just curious.

9adam4 likes this.
  24. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

I just recently read the renegade parts, having skipped them on my initial read-through.

TBH I prefer the renegade timeline to the standard one at this point.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Renegade is the more emotional one at this point, so if you prefer drama to logic and the story being about him being a protagonist pretending to be a villain, while actualy being mostly good, and eventually making a team of reformed villains, like an actually good version of the light, and being in direct contact with Darkseid, it’s the story for you. Heck, I’d say him and the canonical vandal savage ancient superhero might get along at this point.
    Join us on the dark side of the ‘verse.

RagnarokAscendant and Navi-Hank like this.
  26. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

Time to call in Plastic Man!

NightmareWarden and Vaermina like this.
  27. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

You know, on the 'Paul in Jojos' tangent idea, I was thinking earlier that I'd like to see a Paul in My Hero Academia...

28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

He'd probably wind up with the reform-minded villains, trying to get them to focus on developing infrastructure and improving general standard of living until the current style of hero becomes more of a liability. The sheer property damage some people cause...

Obliviated fan likes this.
  29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I wonder if todays update will be Common Sense Paul

30. Threadmarks: Z-E-R-O (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

2nd January
    18:18 GMT -6

"Sounds like you're having more fun than we are, Oh El."

"I somehow doubt that."

The Central State Hospital actually has some fairly nice grounds, thought I notice there isn't anything planted in them that would make hiding easier. My two 'guests' look increasingly nervous as we get closer, but there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I've already sent off the paperwork required for them to gain legitimate legal existence, and Robert Reed is supposed to be a model inmate.

Ninety nine percent of the time, anyway.

"No luck finding it, then?"

"Not yet. We found the guy who had it before Mister Hamill. He was a small time hood before he got the dial."

"I think I missed that intelligence report. Shouldn't a new supervillain-?"

"He just committed a few thefts, Oh El. He kept it low-key enough that Batman didn't make it a priority, then he got into a fight with his henchmen and handed himself over to the police. We actually knew about the guys who had it before him. We didn't know that they had something like the dial; my best guess was that Captain Chaos was a shapeshifter."

I nod. "Did he have any way to track the dial?"

"No. And I don't think any of the recent users will, either. Kid Flash is going to drop in on Christopher King to see if he knows anything, but based on the fact that he hasn't been active as a superhero since Infinity Inc. broke up, I doubt he'll know anything."

One of the orderlies waves to me, and I turn and walk in his direction. "I suppose they could just dial until they hit someone with 'find the dial' powers."

"I don't know, Oh El. Robert Reed and Victoria Grant both ended up in secure hospitals. I'm not sure that using the dial is all that healthy."

"We'll know more when we get the chance to examine it. I don't suppose there's been a sudden unexplained increase in superheroes anywhere?"

"Not that I've noticed. I've got Beryl watching the superhero fan sites just in case. We actually saw your fight in Littleville before you reported in."

"I'm not sure I'd call that a fight. More of a talking down." The orderly walks back inside what appears to be a glass-fronted day room and bends down to say something to a shrivelled man in the loose-fitting clothes of a long term resident. Robert Reed is only in his early sixties, but for various reasons he looks like Alan at his worst. "I'll talk to you if I find out anything."

"Ah, Oh El? I'm not making this an all-nighter. Unless you and Zatanna come up with something, we're just.. not set up for wide area lost property searches."

I nod. "You're right. Have you told Mr Hamill?"

"I've told him I don't think we'll find it just by looking. But we couldn't afford to just ignore something this powerful even if he didn't need it to change back."

"True."

"Catch you later."

I nod, lowering my hand as I walk through the exterior door and into the day room. "Mister Reed."

"Yeah." He looks up, tiredly. "That's me. I hear someone found the dial."

"Someone did, then it went to someone else, then someone else again"

He shakes his head. "I didn't ever want to let that thing go. How the hell did so many people get it so fast?"

"Enquiries are still proceeding. Ah…" I look him over. "Are you..? Alright?"

"Compared to what?" He shifts position slightly, arms folded on his lap. "I spent a decade simultaneously as a superhero and a supervillain, then I got merged back together. And I was fine for a little while, just being me again. And then…" He takes a deep breath. "The transformations influence your personality. You're still.. you, but you're a little bit them as well. Wizard was completely selfless, but at the same time he was obsessed about working indirectly, or not clueing other people in that he was around. Sometimes I forget that I'm not him, and… That's okay, because he hated hurting people."

"And sometimes I forget I'm not Master." He takes a couple of deep breaths, looking away from me. "Those are the bad days."

"We don't have to talk about the Master-" He turns his head back to me, frowning. "-if you-."

"Yeah. We do. I might not know where the dial is now…" He shudders. "And thank God I don't. But I can still kinda feel where other users are." He leans to his right to get a better look at Ms Birchall and Mr Dow. "Who are you?"

Ms Birchall glances at Mr Dow for a moment, then returns her attention to him. "You don't recognise us?"

"If you're someone Wizard or Master met…" He shakes his head. "They keep me medicated so I don't start thinking like those two again. I wouldn't recognise you."

"You…" She trails off, staring at the man before her. "You -Master-you- made us. Do you remem-?"

His face falls a little. "The clones. I-. No, no." He closes his eyes for a moment, taking another deep breath. "No. Master created so many… I didn’t think there were any left he didn't kill."

"He told us to find the dial. We've.. been.. living in Littleville since…"

Mr Reed shrugs. "It's as good a place as anywh-." His eyes widen. "Oh God, you've still got the Horror Dials." Ms Birchall nods, holding up both hers and Mr Dow's. "You haven't.. used them, have you?" Ms Birchall shakes her head while Mr Dow nods. "Shit. Those, those…" He shakes his head again. "Don’t use those."

"Mister Reed, where did they come from?"

"Wizard and Master both had the ability to make dials. Knock-offs of the original, but they still worked. Master preferred powered clones, they were more… Controllable."

"Do you know how to make them? Or where the original came from?"

He shakes his head. "No, no. I mean, I might be able to work it out if I really concentrated on their memories…" He shudders. "No. And I never knew where the original came from. It was… It was just there."

"Do you have any way of finding the original?"

"The dials give you the tools to do the job. Whatever that is. You talk to Chris?"

"One of my colleagues is."

"Take him to roughly where you think the dial is and get him to use his." He shakes his head. "It's the… That's the best I can do."

"Do you think he'll get a dial-finding power?"

"I once beat up a gang as a walking pinball machine. The application isn't always direct, but it ought to give him something he can work with. Or failing that, if someone else picks it up, he'll be able to find them just as well as I could."

"I don't suppose you'd be willing to help us search yourself?"

He shakes his head emphatically. "I can't-. I can't become Master again. I can't risk it. You don't know how many people he killed-." He starts crying. "God. He just told them to walk into an incinerator and they did it!" He looks up at Ms Birchall and Mr Dow. "I'm sorry, but this… This is where I need to be."

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019