1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

He forgot there's no "Funny" reaction button on this board.

Ardy likes this.
  2. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Radion, Suitcase Nuke, Jade Breakup, Anti-Life, and Alan Dying

3. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

And giving people telepathy would just make everything worse.

Chojin Patriarch and Ardy like this.
  4. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

discounting the Trauma of (failing) to shield against a Nuke and Point-blank and having a good chunk of his body criped, a focused radiation weapon designed specifically to kill New Gods crisping a good chunk of his guts,poor communication leading the the person he loved to try and kill him in the middle of his proposition,having a close encounter with the ALE in the other universe, having a chunk of the ALE forced into his soul that Temporially destroyed his ability to feel positive emotions.....

5. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

sarcasm
    /ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
    noun
    1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
      "she didn't like the note of sarcasm in his voice"
      Synonyme:derision, mockery, ridicule, satire, irony, scorn, sneering, scoffing, gibing, taunting

6. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here, and I suspect I'm not alone in that regard.

Xelloss likes this.
  7. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't understand whether or not this is sarcasm, and I suspect I'm not alone in that regard.

Wait, was that sentence sarcasm? I wrote it and I can't even tell at this point.

This is giving me a headache. I'm just going to go... I dunno, look at cats. There are lots of cats on the internet. That sounds nice.

8. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Schrodinger's sarcasm man. It both is, and is not, depending who looks at it.

9. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

They can phase through matter and fly.

Ground strike!

Also, now that I think about it, M'gann could totally pull off 'Street Sharks'!

10. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

should be ' brooch '

' called '

Mr Zoat likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  12. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Yet Desire was able to drop in on him briefly, once.

13. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well yes, but he was merged with the embodiment of avarice at the time. "We still want." Being a big part of it at the time...and that much want sort of falls into Desire' s domain I should think.

14. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

If that’s the case, then it seems violence really is the solution to this issue.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  15. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

Just like every other issue.

Ardy likes this.
  16. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I do not believe that Vaer is being sarcastic in this instance. It's possible, but I doubt it.

17. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know, I think Zoat mentioned at one point that Paul is going to fallout with Batman, anyone think it’s gojng to be because of Jason Todd/Red Hood?

Also: Paul never talked over Nabu with Captain Marvel on his apology tour, what’s up with that?

edit: it was not about that

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
  18. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

9th January
    06:26 GMT

Streets… Streets are clear. Sinestro?

An image of the local area appears in front of me. Huh. The cordon is still there, but it's a good deal further back. The surrounding buildings have been emptied out too. That might just be a security measure…

M'gann frowns at my construct. "That's not what they agreed."

"There might have been an alert of some kind."

She raises her right hand to the side of her head and focuses, turning slowly in the air as she scans the Manhunter positions. "They don't know why they've been pulled back."

I nod. "Which is bad for us, because it means that they're trying to conceal it from your telepathy, whereas if it were something legitimate they wouldn't have any cause to."

"Can you bring in any more help?"

"I've already got drones here. They're in stealth mode right now, but if you think a display of force in potentia would be helpful..?"

"Not yet." She takes a small martian device off her belt. Ah, a martian long distance telepathic communicator. "Put me through to the Prelate's office now."

Hm. I don't have a swarm of Construct Lanterns I could send out to probe the area. I could boom tube Orange Lanterns into the city, but they wouldn't know anything about the situation. Heck, I don't know exactly what's going on. I instruct one squadron to spread out to get a better feel for the area.

"M'gann M'orzz. Why have the Manhunters around the theater pulled back?"

She's speaking out loud for my benefit. The actual communication is transmitted from the.. brain in her hand to another like it in the government building. Routing should be automatic; the city authorities know that we're here. They're the ones who gave permission. I doubt that martians are immune to the occasional miscommunication, but this looks deliberate. Someone they believed had authority to do so gave an order.

"Then order them back into position. The fate of our entire world depends on this meeting!"

I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have the authority to make demands of whoever it is that she's talking to. But she's right: if a government official accepts an obligation and then welshes it renders them completely untrustworthy. You go from civil meetings in hotels to meetings in armed camps at best. Parts of the galaxy use hostage exchanges to make meetings like this happen. You'd have to be some sort of short sighted idiot to try something here. If this is a betrayal, that undermines everything I'm working to build here!

M'gann looks around, eyes shining and jaw taut. "Then find someone who can, and get them to do it." She puts the communicator back on her belt.

"Do we need to.. bypass the system?"

"Not yet. Can your ring scan further out?"

I nod. Sinestro?

My construct glitches, then zooms outward. The city… Well, I've never been here before but nothing.. sticks out as being out of the ordinary. I dismiss the construct and increase power to my aero discs, rising higher into the air. Can't see the entire city from here… Can't see anyone. There are a few floating buoys to mark where the Manhunter cordon should be…

I reach up and lower my goggles over my eyes. Not.. a lot different. Almost all Martians can go invisible, but since they're almost all telepathic they don't usually bother. Manhunters are over there… I take a moment to check the tunnel entry points.

"Anything?"

"No. No, not yet." Nothing, nothing… "You?"

She floats up to join me. "Not yet. But it could take hours to find the right official."

"I can open a hush tube to the officer in charge of the picket if you want to interrogate them in person."

She shakes her head. "I'd want more evidence that something was actually wrong before assaulting my superior officer."

"I thought J'onn was your superior officer."

"He's my.. supervising officer while I'm on Earth. Because the Manhunters are usually more of a policing organisation than a military, the command structure is geographic. While I'm in this city, I report to this city's command structure."

I suppose that makes sense. "S'yrra mentioned a 'Marshal'..?"

"The Marshal's office is there to coordinate between them. Some investigations go through more than one city, someone needs to make sure that useful innovations which occur in one city are copied by the Manhunter forces in other cities. And sometimes someone in a city's government is suspected of malfeasance, they're the ones who organise the investigation."

I look around again, becoming a little more concerned. "So there's a mechanism for bypassing local command and control?"

"Yes? We're not immune to corruption."

"If such an investigation were underway… What visible signs would there be?"

"I… Don't really know." She looks around as well, her shapeshifting armour growing notably thicker and extending over her head. "But I imagine that no one in local government would know what the Manhunters were doing."

"And what sort of forces does the Marshal -who S'yrra informed me was preparing for an imminent counterattack against the White uprising- have under their command?"

"Anything he could requisition." She pulls her communicator off her belt. "M'gann M'orzz to City Commander R'oh K'arr."

"Who?"

"Uncle' J'onn's superior. Sort of." Her eyes flicker as someone on the other end picks up. "Sir, I need to know if the Marshal has requested additional forces for an internal review."

I look around again. Sinestro, any ships incoming?

No, Lantern Grayven. All ships are within the confines of their original patrol routes. Two are close enough to this city to support an attack, but neither appear inclined to do so.

Did the locals jump the gun? Were they supposed to wait until the largest possible number of ships were in the area, then pull out as those ships suddenly received simultaneous new orders?

"Sir, I'm overseeing a peace conference of White Martian community leaders. If the Marshal has sent those ships to Pa'leve'ria without a very good reason you need to call them back now."

So where's this sodding attack coming fro-?

I look up, and see a faint shimmer near the roof of the cavern. Sinestro?

As far as I can tell, there's nothing there. So either your soul is playing up, or someone is using magic.

I draw my daiklave and create a fusion cannon construct on my left arm. Now, there could be a perfectly good reason for that shimmer-.

Another shimmering area appears right next to it.

"M'gann, ceiling."

I hold up my right hand and send a weak wave of energy upwards. As it reaches the shimmering area it bends and distorts-. No you don't. This could fuck up everything. SHOW ME.

Something… Breaks, and for a moment I see the forms of four Martian patrol ships appear above us, main guns orientated on the theatre!

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  19. Buggy123

I'm not sure why, but when he said that magic was involved my first suspicion was a sort of double-cross. Someone on the revolution's side who doesn't want a peaceful resolution, so they staged a attack to frame the loyalists.

20. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Oh, dear. Kind of expecting this, but it's worrisome.

Of course, the question is who really arranged for it: On one hand I would not be surprised if Karmang and possibly some of the Hyperclan were capable of subtle mental influence to encourage the choices that would lead to this, without being noticed. On the other, racism and the fear of losing power can also lead to objectively suboptimal choices.

21. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Always be yourself - unless you can be Megatron.
    Then always be Megatron.

Hora godspeech hora.

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...turning slowly in the air as she scans the Manhunter positions.

M'gann looks around, eyes shining and jaw taut.

This scans oddly, given the rest of the sentence. Perhaps 'sometimes when someone' would fit better?

Double space (it shows up in the text edit, but not in post, for some reason.)

Things are about to get real heated... Let's hope whoever's behind this prepared to lose.

Invisitext for anyone who can't see it:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Natural speech.

24. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The Reds fucking up would be entirely on character, I see a dark future for Mars.

Prince Charon likes this.
  25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I was right, Air Strike.

26. Buggy123

You're not wrong but... it doesn't really seem like what you'd normally think of as a air strike.

They're underground, which really limits your options, but still. Air strikes ought to be done by gloriously loud jets screaming by just above you, not a couple of stationary semi-spaceships sitting above the target and pointing straight down. Where's the style, the pizzazz, the shock and awe?

27. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Is this a false flag attack? Feels like one. The Manhunter ships being retrofitted or repaired Grayven saw for shorter range work.

A 'Manhunter' ship attacks a gathering of Whites working on a peaceful solution is just the thing to really start the race war and fulfill some agendas.

BR549, Prince Charon, CTrees and 6 others like this.
  28. RagnarokAscendant

RagnarokAscendant Exists

Hey, quick question for Zoat.

You've mentioned that Source-worship is common beyond Earth? Is that supported by DC canon?

Aeess likes this.
  29. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

You are also missing Initiative, Beta Male and Mirage from the thread marks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

No idea. Probably not.
    Thank you, added.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy and Twilight666 like this.