1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Contrary to popular belief, just because something fails once does not mean it's doomed to failure again, especially if the circumstances change in subtle but important ways. The guardian programming is being removed, and Karmang has almost certainly learned from his mistakes last time, and there are independent entities (Grayven, the Justice League, etc) who want an egalitarian martian society as well.

And what Karmang did last time wasn't quite the same, either. Last time, he educated red martians with the intent that they'd spread his knowledge and work together to try to remove the guardian block and more. In the process he also inadvertently made a planetary government which was, in part due to the guardian programming, colorist.

Now, he's learned from his mistakes, and this time he is explicitly trying to create a stable and egalitarian planetary government. Furthermore, he has the pre-existing framework of a planetary government and educated society to build off of. And while he might have empowered Hyperclan, he has not indicated that he actually plans to leave them in charge. Especially given that he disagrees with how violent some of them want to be.

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Let's all not forget that Karmang has no formal education or even experience governing others. He is a magic teacher.

His solutions are simple and straightforward and he will be very surprised when they backfire

Obliviated fan and Navi-Hank like this.
  3. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

the former.

he's done it once allready!

Navi-Hank and Ardy like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Oh, in other news, the tribunal to adjudicate on my indefinite suspension from Sufficient Velocity is being convened.

5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Are you thinking of moving back?

6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

He's thousands of years old. Are you certain you want to make absolute statements about him like that?

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He spent thousands of years sleeping. He doesn’t have any modern political experience. He is essentially a powerful terrorist with noble ideals. Just because he’s thousands of years old doesn’t mean he’s wise.

8. Mr Zoat

No, I'd just like to be able to 'like' people's posts again, and get rid of that annoying 'you are suspended' banner.

9. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC, if you have AdBlock plus... or was it UBlock. One of those. You can right click the banner and there should be something like a 'block element' option which will hide it. I did that so I didn't have to keep staring at the mod banners.

Bramble Thorn, Navi-Hank and Bgbg like this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's interesting, who's your advocate?

11. Mr Zoat

No idea.
    Does appear to be available on whatever I'm using.

12. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

It's much less fun when you can't see their reaction.
    Ublock origin is available for both firefox and chrome, and lets you pick elements to hide by choosing that from the menu bar icon thing and then clicking on the relevant element.

13. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

You know, I'm honestly curious as to what the skin color of a Martian child who has never had the Guardians' programming placed onto them, born to Martians who had that programming removed, would look like, and what the effects would be on Martian society. If they all turned out to be red at birth, that would have... Interesting connotations. If they were all white, also interesting. Same for green. But if they all turned out different colors? Or if non-standard colorations appeared? Well, in the interests of avoiding a lengthy discussion, I'll just say that I'm looking forward to what comes next.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... You aren't appealing the ban?

15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat has indicated that Red Martians are what Burning Martians would look like when not setting themselves on fire.

And since the transformation from burning martian is a telepathic virus and not genetics, green and white martians are a psychosomatic condition from the guardian brainwashing.

So I'd imagine that "liberated" martians would have red kids.

Obliviated fan likes this.
  16. Itypeslow

Itypeslow Corpses for the Corpse God!

Mr Zoat has also used "Tharn" from Watership Down, which means pretty much the same thing as far as I can tell.

Obliviated fan likes this.
  17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

You should probably get one or ask for one, unless they've changed how those work.

18. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

8th January
    22:33 GMT

A decidedly worried M'gann is already crossing the room towards the huddle of White Martians as I step out of the hush tube. Several start backing up immediately, but one of them steps forwards and… They're having a telepathic conversation. A moment passes and everyone simultaneously turns to look at me for a second, then returns their attention to her.

Maybe I should have brought a G-Gnome along or something. I can let one of them through my shield without letting other people through, probably due to them not really being 'people'. Or perhaps due to them being my.. employees. Or vassals.

One of the Whites shifts into a somewhat more humanoid shape, then walks closer to M'gann. The rest of the Whites turn and walk out, except one who heads my way. He stops quite close to me and looks up at my face.

"If you're trying to talk to me telepathically, it won't work. I block everything."

He blinks, then his neck bulges slightly as he gives himself the ability to speak. "That sounds lonely."

The voice is… Slightly high pitched, chirpy? I'd guess young female, but I'm working off human norms there.

"Most species in this galaxy don't have telepathy. Most people ever born will never have their mind directly touched by another."

"Oh. I… I can't imagine it."

I smile. "Not a fan of Mister J'aarkn's work? He had direct contact with-" The martian in front of me cringes. "-a great many humans-."

"I… Ah… Wasn't.. watching his work for the social commentary."

"That's a shame. He struck me as a rather thorough man. But what did you want to talk to me about?"

"T'ronn told us that you were the one who made M'gann into a Red Martian. Is that true?"

"No, it-. That's a rather dramatic oversimplification. Reds are what martians look like when they don't have Guardian programming compelling them to look Green or White. I am capable of removing the programming, I just… Well, initially, I only knew two martians and only one of them was interested. Later on, when the demonstrations started in earnest I didn't want to add fuel to the fire." No, come on, be honest. "Or spend the rest of my life breaking the mental bonds imprisoning your species. I'd have to do each of you individually and frankly I've got better things to do."

"I see." He blinks. "Ah..?"

"You want me to do you."

"Ah… Yes."

I extend my left hand in benediction. "You have to really want it."

"I do."

"No, look." I clench my left fist and point to my ring's sigil. "This ring's powers are dependent on avarice. I wanted to help M'gann. You?" I shrug. "I'm indifferent. So you have to want it. For at least a few minutes, becoming free has to be the most important thing in your life."

"Free..? From the Red Martians?"

"From any impediment preventing you from coming fully into the power that is your right, be it from the Red Martians, the Guardians-" Other Whites. "-or your own fears and weaknesses. You must single-mindedly want it. Your single-minded desire must-."

"I don't think I can.. do that?"

I shrug and lower my left fist, raising my right in its place. "This one runs on fear. I could create a circle of fire around you, if that would be easier?"

"Ah..?" He backs up. "No, that… Sorry I-? Bothered you." He backs up more, nearly bumping into M'gann and T'ronn on his way out.

M'gann sighs. "Grayven, he was forty two. That wasn't necessary."

"It was if I don't want every member of the local resistance bugging me to remove their programming. And I didn't lie-"

"Ping."

"-to-." Hm. "No, I don't think that would work on a martian. Might be worth considering later, though."

T'ronn stares at Mother Box. "Why do I understand what the box meant by 'ping'?"

"Martians use telepathic biotechnology. New Gods like myself use arcanotechnology; it speaks to the soul." I regard him carefully, but he hasn't had enough contact with humans or M'gann to have internalised the body language yet. "Do you understand the situation?"

"B'enn B'lanx wants all out war. And you want me to prevent it... Somehow."

"Sort of. I don't know enough about Mars or Martian society. I just need… Someone who could plausibly take a leading role. Someone who was at least known to White resistance organisers. I was going to ask M'gann to do it, but apparently you're the man of the hour."

"I.. wouldn't go that far. It was all just-."

"Just spontaneous, yes, I know, that's why it's so frustrating." Honestly, if Apokoliptians were this badly organised Father wouldn't have needed to bother with Grace. "But that doesn't matter. In a situation like this, where no one has legitimacy or even knows what legitimacy looks like, leaders are the ones who lead. B'enn B'lanx is leading. Karmang is leading. And I've got no idea who else -if anyone- is doing the same thing."

"Hundreds of White organisers. I mean, what we were doing was illegal in a lot of places, so we had to be careful. But I know a lot of names and-. Well, fake names, but I could get in touch with them."

"Could you get them together in one place?"

"What? Now?" I nod. "No? Travel is restricted, and the organisers I know are too busy organising local groups to do anything… Wide scale."

"I can teleport them, you, or anyone else. And to the best of my knowledge no one on Mars can track hush tubes. The White leadership needs to agree on a broadly unified position and nominate a spokesman who can deal with the Planetary Council. There doesn't need to be a leader-" Though there should be, and probably will be. "-just someone who can speak for Whites. Because if there isn't a reasonable person, all they'll hear is B'enn B'lanx."

"Maybe they want to hear B'enn B'lanx."

M'gann looks scandalised. "T'ronn!"

"I've… There are a lot of angry Whites out there, M'gann. And I.. was.. speaking to them, meeting them. We got things thrown at us because Mum and Dad were different colours in Mel'dilo'rn. And our city's supposed to be liberal. I've met Martians in our position whose neighbours mindscoured them."

M'gann gasps quietly.

I shrug. "Do you think that things will be better if you have a worldwide civil war?"

"No, but convincing people to calm down-."

"I'm not saying 'calm down', I'm saying 'channel your rage productively'. Come up with a list of demands they can address, give them someone they can negotiate with. Because if you don't, B'enn B'lanx will be making the running."

He thinks for a moment.

"Can you teleport me to places now?"

"Yes."

"I'll need to talk to a lot of people to set this up. The first place we should go is probably…"

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

We should make him our mascot. :D

Wassam, Sargon, FourthPear and 27 others like this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hmm... Not sure if miscolored or tightly controlled emotion. I'm gonna go with the later, given Vril Dox II's text...

...but one of them steps forwards and…
    (or their number, depending on your preference)

That's a noteworthy outlook... Just how human does he consider the Genomorphs to be, outside of fully human ones like Dubbilex or Ixy?

The rest of the Whites turn and walk out, except one who heads my way.

I'll bet. Research for shapeshifting or a fetish thing? ;)

Bad pun, Grayven! :p

Phrasing! :oops:

Extraneous Quotation mark here.
    Also, he clearly didn't want it as much as he thought he did. Typical teenager.

Has Motherbox always used Quotation marks?

I just need… Someone who could plausibly take a leading role.

Got to wonder how fake names even work for a telepathic species. Something like a spoofed network address?

A very British turn of phrase. For anyone wondering, it's like 'taking the lead' or 'setting the pace.'

"I'll need to talk to a lot of people to set this up...

Well, things are picking up speed. Let's hope they can find a Martin Luther King to B'enn B'lanx's Malcolm X...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  21. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I wonder how Paragon OL would handle this.

22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Find some White Martian suitable to join the Orange Lantern Corps? Maybe even Karmang himself? Or ask Karmang for suggestions - while not necessarily politically savvy he does know his own supporters fairly well. There is no 1 a quadrant rule like there is for the GLC. Grayven doesn’t have a working corps at the moment, so he can’t do that. A White Martian with a little experience could probably remove every Martian’s programming simultaneously - they would at least be capable of desiring so.

This seems to be like what Zoat is trying to give OL as an advantage over Grayven. Grayven might be more capable on average, but he doesn’t have a large group mentality/ actual team, which could make an interesting “lesson” for a fic based on a Justice League cartoon. Grayven CAN’T be everywhere and do everything no matter how capable and OP he gets. His team is full of powerful people who can’t really work together beyond a basic level. Actually, OL’s mental exercises have all been to enable him to work as a team member by making other’s wants his own even if he would normally be indifferent. This is the perfect mentality to work on a team of any size with an orange ring. In fact, this even explains from a meta point of view why he’s losing power. He will probably end up as just another powerful member of the OLC, but with the OLC capable of saving the universe from Darkseid or something, while Grayven might end up unable to do perfect teamwork and therefore at a loss against, for example, Darkseid.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  23. Mr Zoat

Yes. Becoming Red has resulted in M'gann holding herself to stricter standards of professional behaviour.
    Thank you, corrected.
    In the Renegade timeline, their legal status is unclear. Grayven generally treats G-Goblins as normal humans, G-Prometheans as retarded humans and the rest as organic tools.
    Thank you, corrected.
    We may never know.
    The ring would have translated the metaphor non-literally.
    What? They're both single.
    Thank you, corrected.
    The martian wasn't mentally prepared for that sort of demand.
    When pinging out loud, yes.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Indirect communication by written message. Martian civilisation being what it is, writing is often safer than telepathy.
    That's why I put the link it: to explain it to the poor benighted colonials without needing them to expose their ignorance.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Only with less adultery.

SPAGHETTI POSTING WOOO!
    The SI prevented in from happening by preventing the information reaching the public domain and giving the Reds time to fix their society.[/quote]

24. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Oh, the Red Martians are actually going to stop oppressing the White Martians because of that?

Huh, a lot of people who died in Grayven's timeline probably don't deserve this then.

Prince Charon, Alexandercctv and Ardy like this.
  25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

If they do stop oppressing so much, it would probably still just delay the problem. It will take a while, if ever, for White Martians to gain true equality. Though Karmang may be satisfied with the current attempt at improvements. I was assuming in my previous posts you were wondering what OL would do in a situation where White Martians have already rebelled for some unspecified reason.

Prince Charon likes this.
  26. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

I don't think that there was any actual evidence of the Red Martians working to reform their society in the Paragon timeline. The Hyperclan and Karmang are also still in the background preparing for their own strike.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"CAKE FOR ALL WHO LAY DOWN THEIR WEAPONS!"

general cheering

28. Mr Zoat

The SI doesn't know.

29. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

...you know, it didn't ping for me back when he appeared previously, but...

T'ronn, voiced by Bruce Boxleitner?

Prince Charon likes this.
  30. king_karasu

king_karasu Actually a prince

Martian Luther King Jr.