1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Well yes, that's what dashes like that do. That's what they're for. (It's called an "appositive.")

Commas aren't used for pauses, though. (Case in point, I'm not pausing in that previous sentence.) That particular comma wasn't representing a pause anyway; it was denoting list membership. And commas can also set off appositives. So in its grammatical role as a comma, a dash does a perfectly good job of doing the same thing. So you don't need the comma there.

Prince Charon and Navi-Hank like this.
  2. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

I'm thinking of it more like Confucius showing up in the People's Republic of China.

Obliviated fan and Prince Charon like this.
  3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Like someone commented earlier, this is essentially a powerful wizard claiming to be Merlin showing up in modern-day England and trying to restore Camelot with an army of changelings/ fey by force. He might even have Excalibur to prove he is Merlin or something.

Hm... that could make a good sci-if short story / anime plot. I’d set it in Steampunk England though.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I made a joke that Gravy could deal with the goatfucking babyeating conspiracy that rules DC England by waking up King Arthur.

Obliviated fan and WhiteNoise like this.
  5. sacrarium0

sacrarium0 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I don't know if anyone cares, but I mirrored the sufficientvelocity part of this story here:

https://sacrarium0.github.io/wtr/

I will take this down if the author objects.

6. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

Don't the Sorcerer-Priests who effectively rule Mars consider Karmang to be their founder and most prominent source of inspiration? I thought that he was more like a Jesus or Buddha figure in that the Sorcerer-Priests claim legitimacy through their professed adherence to his teaching. My perspective was that Karmang's return and opposition to the established order was as much a religious crisis as it was a political crisis.

topin89 and Chaoswind like this.
  7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I thought that people who don’t know magic don’t care as much, and that Martians were likely polytheistic (though nothing has been said on if they worship the source or not), he might essentially be considered a demigod. I am assuming that since he likely isn’t the main focal point, it’d be at most like the Prophet Muhammad (Founder of Muslim religion). From what I know, this is similar to Merlin in that he’s essentially a famous historical figure, who passed down the word of God, but never claimed to either have divinity or know the one true way (guided by God, but not infinitely wise himself) / be the one valid prophet himself, effectively expanding on previous works, whereas the Buddha is the one founder of a religion, who invented something new entirely by himself.

Maybe Moses is a better comparison? Brought the 10 commandments, one of the main prophets behind the YHWH trifecta of religions?

Also, as someone who doesn’t know much about Buddhism, isn’t the entire point that the Buddha managed to break the cycle of reincarnation, and therefore never be reborn? Instead of them being happy, wouldn’t him coming back just break the entire point of the religion/ invalidate it?

8. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Buddhism has a whole group of entities that have put off escaping the cycle in order to help others do so.

Obliviated fan and Bramble Thorn like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 24)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

10th January
    17:57 GMT

"AAAAAAAGH!"

M'gann falls to the ground clutching her head. T'ronn remains upright but doubles over, arms clutching at his chest. And the rest…

There's a shimmer around their bodies, similar to what the Burner used. But like that shit Karmang said, they're not immune. They're being affected. Their flesh is breaking down exothermically. They're being burned alive by their own bodies. Even the guards-. Their armour is evaporating off their bodies and their bodies are locked in place. For any of them who still have Guardian programming, fire is their greatest fear. And they can't get away from it.

Mother Box, purple ray drones here now!

Ping.

AND SEND A FUCKING BOMB TO Z'ONN Z'ORR! ONE OF THOSE REALLY EVIL ONES I COPIED FROM DESAAD!

Ping.

Oh, I think it is!

Fuck, what do I do? All of the-. No, not all: J'emm is shuddering, but something he's doing is keeping the flames at bay. Don't know how to help. Try and put one out. Sinestro, feel free to call out suggestions at any time.

Noted. But I'm afraid, Lantern Grayven, that-

I project yellow light over the closest guard, trying to work out whether it's possible to stabilise-

-I don't believe that there's anything you can do.

-their bodies. Their disruption effect simply shreds my initial probe but with all of this fear around I've got strength to spare. My next attempt takes the form of a medical sarcophagus-

Boom!

-and I frantically reduce the temperature and jab a neural probe into the guard's head to see if I can work out which bit of his brain is doing this! The first purple ray drones fly through the boom tube, purple beams striking burning martians to no apparent effect. Patterns of activity are all over the place, I don't know! Amateurs shouldn't attempt brain chirurgery! Suppress everything somewhat? Sure, let's try that.

He's still burning.

I can… Feel it as the drones start giving individual martians up as lost causes. As the grim calculus of survivability indicates to their control programming that even if they can help some they can't help these.

By some Herculean feat of will, one of the still-burning Sorcerer Priests staggers out of his seat. Okay, scan. What's different about that guy?

Nothing obvious, Lantern Grayven. The patterns of activity in her mind appear to be a little less erratic, but I imagine that is due to the mental exercises that she performs as part of her vocation.

Right, replicate-.

He's dead, Lantern.

I exhale sharply as I dismiss the construc-. I look at M'gann. No, she's-. Scan. She looks fine, but-.

She's a telepath who was listening to the dying thoughts of dozens of people burning to death. I'm impressed that she's even vaguely functional. Her brother is in much the same state.

More and more… Martians are falling recumbent, probably dead. Only a handful-.

The sorcerer falls, dragging herself towards-. She's going towards J'emm, who is just now catching fire himself. Ah, she's going to die anyway. I grab the crawling sorcerer and put her down next to J'emm. I think she.. recognises or.. something, because she immediately starts using her burning limbs to make gestures. As they.. burn down, she-. She's using mass from the rest of her body to allow her to keep casting.

An admirable courage.

Wait, cold guns! Those can-!

Stabilise molecular vibrations at the cost of heat. Using enough power to stop whatever this is would freeze the martian you used it upon solid.

J'emm staggers as the tufts of flame beginning to flare from his body suddenly go out while the sorcerer next to him… Succumbs to her wounds, the hard edges of bones…

Bones visible as…

I look down at my own blood as it pools on the floor.

Oh. That, that explains…

I sit with some force, the pain I'm in starting to seep into my awareness. Nothing… Life-threatening… I think. Mars isn't as bad for magic as the Vega Systems are. So as long as-.

A squad of Manhunters swoop in, weapons seeking a target! I'm clearly bleeding and appear to be non-threatening, the drones are shutting down as… As those to whom they are attempting to minister finally expire. T'ronn's anguish-pose appears to be marking him as a non-threat, but M'gann is becoming alert and-.

"Stop!" J'emm pulls himself up, using the pulpit to support himself. "It was Karmang. Karmang…" He loses his grip, but one of the Manhunters stows his weapon and flies forward to help him up.

A couple of drones remember who made them and begin playing their healing light over me. Won't do much for the blood I've already lost, but it should accelerate the rate at which my wounds close up. M'gann looks at me but I wave her off and she goes to check on T'ronn instead. He's… Gradually coming around, though if his body language is exaggerated enough that I can spot it he must be in a bad way.

"Why-?" M'gann looks at me. "Why did he do it? We were-. They were listening. Peace could…"

"Hrgh." Ah, throat. Hadn't.. specifically noticed. Construct. "Hate doesn't need a reason. Just a tar…" Ugh. "Target. Karmang blamed them, or… Their forebears. Or… He might… Might genuinely believe… This was the best way."

"He was… He was always planning on attacking them. He just… He just used us as a way in."

I nod, once. "Probably."

J'emm is helped to ground level, the Manhunter's right arm under his arms. "Was.. anyone else affected?"

There's no sound for a moment. Telepathic conference, no reason for the Manhunters to speak out loud for my benefit.

Mother Box, outcome of bomb attack on Z'onn Z'orr?

Ping.

I'll get Circe to check later. Where is she?

Ping.

Hah. Heh. Hah. Yes, I suppose she does need to sleep sometime.

I look over to where J'emm and R'oh K'arr are looking at each other, probably having an impassioned argument about what to do next. Shit, what a mess. J'emm is now -in effect- planetary overlord and the Hyperclan might well be making attacks all over the place now. I'm not really in any condition to help-

[​IMG]

-but I suppose that's no reason not to try. Ugh. Support The Ally.

Mother Box, tell Mortalla to evacuate the children at once, then keep all tubes available. This is going to be a long day.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And no bitching about it, this bastard deserves everything coming to him...

Change of gender in mid sentence. Mistake, or a scan correcting the reference?

Dammit, Grayven, I'm a Power Ring, not a miracle worker.

Invisitext:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  11. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I guess every once in a while they have to act like dumb supervillains.

I've gotten too used to everyone acting in a reasonable manner in this story.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Topher876

Topher876 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think you mean dying thoughts?

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well I guess Karmang is less a "You get more flies with honey than vinegar" and more a "If you really want flies, nothing beats blood and rotting meat" kind of guy.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's no way a realistically portrayed Motherbox actually follows through with that request.

And Martians can survive that.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  16. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Grayven's Motherbox has known him for a while, and is probably willing to give him at least a little slack. Also, "bomb the home base of that guy who just lied and killed a entire planetary council, possibly dooming the planet to a bloody civil war" is not that ridiculously evil of a request.
    Possibly. Shame that at that point half of them were dead, the other half were mostly dead, and Grayven was probably not at his A-game after he lost that much blood. Might've worked, might not, but it never got tried.

17. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Not necessarily on Earth-16.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Actually, some flies are specifically attracted to vinegar.
    Do you believe that the New Gods of New Genesis never use their Boxes in combat?

19. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

How exactly did Graven lose all that blood again? I mean what did you do?

20. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Evil DeSsad bomb?

YES!

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I am sure those of New Genesis have.

But that's not this.

This is someone from Apokolips sending a weapon of evil horrific death and destruction to a location that might have an untold number of innocents living in and or around it.

And there's no way a Motherbox would do that.

22. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Noooo, it's the hyperclan headquarters... everyone there is Hyperclan, and they consider it a holy place so they don't allow anyone else there.
    This is basically bombing the military headquarters of a terrorist organisation.

While Mother Box is from New Genesis, that means that it is nice, not a pacifist.

23. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

Also she probably recognises that the Hyperclan are all horrible people.

24. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, building on this:

Z'onn Z'orr was clearly stated to be at the top of Mount Olympus (the tallest mountain on mars), and remained undiscovered by the rest of mars. And given that all martians live underground anyway, it was probably very thoroughly isolated.

"really evil bomb" does not necessarily mean "horrific death". Or at least not "horrific slow death". It might just be a terrifyingly effective and scary bomb, like a dirty bomb, or a fuel-air bomb, or a neutron bomb, or cluster mine bombs, or a chemical weapon payload.
    All rather scary and unpleasant and generally avoided for reasons like collateral damage and lingering dangers that can kill or horribly injure civilians, but if you're targeting somewhere where all structures are military fortifications, all people are enemy combatants, and where absolutely no one else lives, has lived, or will live for hundreds or thousands of years... well, a whole lot of the evilness of all those bombs is sorta irrelevant. Especially when immediately and permanently denying it's use to the enemy, and killing any present enemies like VIPs, is very important.

25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Hm... DeSaad was studying part of the Anti-life equation, right? (Not certain). This could be an Anti-Life bomb, if that’s a thing. Everything gives up on life and just dies inside. In addition, no structural damage and you can go back in immediately. Possibly even interrogate some of the Hyperclan. Fairly certain that Anti-Life would be a little overkill however.

ChestBurster and Obliviated fan like this.
  26. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Updates like this make me regret not being able to understand Mother Box. I half expected that second Ping. to be a Pi- instead.

27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think it's something like how the Royal Victorian Order is 'in the Queen's (or King's, when the UK has one) personal gift,' meaning that QE II doesn't have to consult with the PM or Parliament before granting any level of the RVO to someone, she just chooses them. I might be misunderstanding, though.

Yeah, it's good to be reminded that for all his Renegadeness, Grayven absolutely is a hero. Arguably more of a hero than ParaPaul.

28. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Also, the mother box had a choice of bombs, given that Grayven merely specified "one of those really evil ones". So it probably picked one that doesn't work by the tortured souls of children or whatever. The lesser of several evils, if you will.

29. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

One of the Martian bad guys cut his arm to the bone.

30. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Just one Grayven? I'm disappointed in you. I expected you to send ALL the bombs.

*while sitting on his couch

Obliviated fan, Navi-Hank and Ardy like this.