1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I wonder how many of the Red Leaders will have to die during this meeting. It could go anywhere from none to all of them depending on how things go.

I'll be surprised if a single one of them doesn't do something immensely stupid. Like send an attack while both Karmang and Grayven aren't around to help because they're at the meeting. Or somehow admitting they had something to do with the first attack.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

"fortress" and "miracle", I believe.

Wheenesss, w34v3r and Mr Zoat like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Fastness, meaning 2.

Thank you, corrected, on the other one.

5. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Well played. I strongly approve what you did here, though paragon-Paul should've used it on his trip to Mars as well. Go team Grayven!

For anyone else: (in)famous science fiction author Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land introduced the word "grok" into modern English. Simply put it means "to understand completely" and is used repeatedly by a peculiar human raised exclusively by Martians... Martians that seem to have some traits in common with lovecraftian elder gods, not comic book Martians.

6. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

It's fascinating, that book was my first insight into why anyone gave a flying damn about etymology or other languages at all.

Grok was also the martian word for drinking, it meant that they equated the act of understanding something to physical health and improvement, which was a way of showing how much the martians cared about learning, because they'd already established how much they cared about water and drinking, so to equate gaining understanding to one of their most vital processes was a clever way to demonstrate how highly they valued knowledge, and how they understood it to be different from mere data.

Rafin, Ardy, Obliviated fan and 8 others like this.
  7. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Grayven just guaranteed that Karmang is playing both sides and is the one who warded that strike force.

8. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

Is that some white text I see?

9. Mr Zoat

I don't.. think so..?

Bramble Thorn and Ardy like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Surprisingly hard to find something on Texan succession which doesn't reference the British exit from Europe.

Please actually check the link before reporting me.

11. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Think that should be Texan secession, actually.

12. Mr Zoat

Can't get away with nothing...

13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I am going to be surprised if any of them actually believe him, even if Grayven gets the lasso of truth and a magic Oath involved.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  14. Nekokaburi

Nekokaburi Getting some practice in, huh?

I think just as likely they'll believe he is who he says he is, and then pretend they don't, so they can go on preserving status quo, and maintain their power/status.

15. Itypeslow

Itypeslow Corpses for the Corpse God!

I think you have a Fawlty tower there.

16. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Not sure it matters that he is Karmang, as opposed to it mattering that he is a powerful wizard. As in, even if they do admit he is Karmang, they wouldn’t care.

17. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Ahaha... I had to give thought to a similar “legendary figure returns” type thing for something else. The best comparison I could put it as is imagine if King Arthur returned? Ah, though Merlin might be a better figure. Of course there's going to be doubters, but that's undoubtedly a powerful image. If they have the power to back it up then all the more so.

BR549 likes this.
  18. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

A similar proportion to the number of humans who are Flat-Earthers maybe?

Obliviated fan likes this.
  19. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

From what I understand this is the equivalent of Jesus coming back. You don't think that they'll care that the central figure of their religion has returned?

20. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

When you think about it, the stagnation of Martian society is only partly due to the Guardian meddling Infants picking up thoughts in the womb means the whole society is self-indoctrinating regarding the status quo.

Obliviated fan likes this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

They had ancestral memory as burning Martians, the guardians just changed it so that they got different specific things from their parents - so that they could actually grow their society instead of being born psychopaths.

22. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

10th January
    17:53 GMT

A full Council meeting. Just one of those oddities, I suppose. Once a species has communications technology more advanced than simple radio, it becomes perfectly possible to conduct all business remotely. And yet, aside from a few cerebralists like the Rannians, nowhere does. The ancient meetings of clan chiefs morph into… Well, the meetings of clan chiefs with more sophisticated weapons and wearing more expensive clothes…

"…discovered that the claims made for centuries concerning…"

The point is, people get comfortable with their government looking a particular way. Earth legislatures still meet in big halls, even if not everywhere takes it to quite the extent that the British do. Father still holds court, despite that being an institution introduced by Queen Heggra, who was far politically weaker than he is. Tamaran still has High Councils, where the great and good migrate to the capital for a month or so every decade to make the reigning monarch's life miserable.

"…handed down by the very…"

And Martians still gather in small stone amphitheatres. The ruling princes of each city, -including the new appointees who can't take their seats due to their cities being held by rebels- their seconds and the ambassadors who usually occupy these seats. A small raised dais for the coterie of first among equals who make up Mars' executive. J'emm now sits there, while the seat that was his as the ruler of a city is occupied by S'yrra.

"…apparent by the ferocity with which White Martians with no prior…"

Another section for the priesthood, who if they were human I'm sure would be staring down their Abraham-figure with open hostility. A few more technologically sophisticate touches are noticeable; artificial lights bring the level of illumination up to something that doesn’t strain the eyes, the stenographer is using modern Martian recording equipment rather than a stone tablet and the honour guard comprised of Red Martians have modern weapons.

"…very least, the abolition of all laws, global or local, which place formal restrictions upon the colour of those who can occupy them." I return to the present as T'ronn winds down. "And preferably, a radical reform of the functioning of those offices from which White -and Green- Martians have long been excluded."

"Thank you, T'ronn." J'emm is acting as Speaker, though I don't know whether that's a new thing or not. "I am however curious as to what you consider the alternative to be."

"The alternative?"

"Yes. What do you believe will happen if this council does not come to terms with you?"

"I would keep working to persuade council members to change their positions, both as a body and as politicians with considerable authority over how their individual cities operate. But if this council absolutely refuses to negotiate, White Martians will begin to feel that there isn't a way for them to gain redress though peaceful means. It would.. probably push them towards joining up with people like B'enn B'lanx. It's not that the vast majority have any particular desire to.. make the civil war worse, but… There's a widespread refusal to accept the status quo."

Status pre bellum, actually. If things stopped where they are now, then the White cause will have seen significant progress. Several cities would be under their control, and a great many Whites who want their status improved but don't want to constantly fight local authorities would probably migrate to them. That would probably do fascinating things to their economy…

"Thank you. Grayven." I focus my attention on J'emm. "You have our gratitude for making this meeting possible." I nod. "While you have explained it to me personally, please state your interest for the record."

"I hope to organise an exchange of knowledge and expertise between M'arzz and various other worlds, to the benefit of all. I do not believe that doing so is practical while there is a wide scale civil conflict happening, and I would very much like to offer aid in reaching a peaceful settlement. Ultimately, if this council is unwilling to negotiate, I have an uninhabited planet at my disposal upon which those Martians unwilling to accept the position Martian society offers them could settle as an alternative to warfare. Amenities would be a bit basic to begin with but no one profits from slaughter."

Or as a place for you to exile those who refuse to adapt to the novel idea that White Martians are people too. I don't have to like people in order to have uses for them.

"A planet which you control?"

"It's in my gift." If only because no one wants it. "Naturally, the precise relationship would be something I would negotiate with White community leaders."

"I will hope that it does not come to that, but you are right: it is preferable to war. And… Karmang."

Karmang spreads his hands. "I hope that my identity is not still in doubt. If a clear view of my memories does not convince you then I am not sure what will."

"You must be aware of the reverence which Martian society has for you. Why did you not attempt to make your displeasure known to previous generations?"

"I did, at least twice. Let me show you the result." His eyes glow, and everyone in the chamber stills for a few moments. No, not completely. Karmang grows an extra pair of arms and makes a few gestures. Adding magical realism to the thing? No idea. Sinestro, add those gestures to the log.

Certainly, Lantern Grayven. But aren't you concerned about that?

No, not really. It isn't doing a thing to me, and there are… Sixteen Sorcerer Priests right there. This place is almost certainly warded-.

Karmang's hands are still moving, and the man himself is floating in a circuit around the chamber. Hm. I put my right hand on M'gann's left shoulder with a degree of force. She shakes, blinks and then look up at me.

"M'gann, what exactly is he showing you?"

"The…" She blinks as she returns to the present. "First… Journey he made to a monastery. When the priests had him beaten and thrown out for claiming to be himself."

"Hm."

"If you wanted to see it-."

"No, just a… Momentary flash of paranoia." One of the priests similarly shakes himself out of the trance, their arms shuddering in a way which appears to be involuntary. "What's wrong with him?"

"He's the Primate of the monastery Karmang went to; the Hall of H'ronmeer, named after the student of Karmang who established it."

My eyes widen, but I'm already flying towards Karmang. Might be nothing-. "Karmang, could-?"

T'Pexor tackles me out of the air, shapeshifted spines tearing into my armour! FUCKFUCKINGFUCK! Construct blades shoot out of my environmental shield trying to rip through his body, but he just ripples, either phasing or shapeshifting around-. Gah! Some sort of energy beam from his eyes!

"Grayven?!"

Think you're clever, do you?!

Yellow light leaps between the tines embedded in his flesh, disrupting what I hope is a phasing-based defence.

"Greghhuh!"

He's.. burning, I can see it, but-.

At the edge of my visual field I see every spectating martian jerk in their seats, their skin shimmering-.

"My first attempt to free us of the Guardians' influence!"

I tear my right arm free of T'Pexor's barbed tentacle, my blood flowing freely as I grab his head and squeeze!

"Turning the matter disruption aura on-"

His head compresses, shapeshifting away from the area I'm compressing. I see M'gann fly at Karmang only for a spout of rock to rise out of the floor and grab her ankle!

"-without stabilising it. I call it-"

I try freeing my left arm, and lose all feeling in it as the blades slice me to the bone!

"-H'ronmeer's Curse."

A construct blast from my eyes smashes through his own energy beam and finally forces him to loosen his grip. Sinestro, contact Circe.

"Now burn!"

Karmang and T'Pexor vanish as the Planetary Council burst into flame!

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Oh neat. That'll help things.

Sargon, mauke and Alexandercctv like this.
  25. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Welp, so much for peace.

It was a good attempt, but you can only do so much.

26. Promenius

Promenius Not too sore, are you?

...I must admit, I'm a bit confused as to what happened in this scene. Might be because I have a bit of a hangover... would any kind soul be willing to roughly explain it for me?

27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Ah, so this is how he gains the title 'Karmang the Evil.' Either he was planning this all along, or he must have decided at some point that there was no point in bothering to continue negotiations. Sadly, I really think the former is more likely. T'Prexor's action seems too planned to be otherwise.

28. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

By pretending to be Ghandi Karmang played the Council like a fiddle to get into their midst and, using ancient sorceries, make them all into Burning Martians who can't turn off their abilities.

Fun was had by all.

29. Mr Zoat

[Passes Promenius a large glass of water.]

In order to address the political aspect of the ongoing civil war, the entire Martian government gathered together to meet with representatives of the White Martians. While T'ronn genuinely wanted peace, Karmang used it as an opportunity to murder them all. Grayven spotted something was up, but T'Pexor tackled him before he could do anything about it.

30. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

Tldr: Karmang was Always Nuclear Ghandi.