1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

You can always take the approach that Grand Fenwick did in The Mouse that Roared. Invade Avalon, and when they invade you, insist on becoming part of Avalon. (Though it might be more effective to play hard-to-get.)
    They would definitely care. A guy like that ends up knowing a huge amount of classified shit, and if Pantheon ASSUMED DIRECT CONTROL during a battle, that would be very, very bad.
    Reward? That would imply that he needed to be rewarded for something, when he's just been reacting to their his desires.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Diller, TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  2. AyiosKat

AyiosKat Know what you're doing yet?

At minimum a company is 80 people, I'd actually call it 1 under-strength company.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  3. Leonidas333

Leonidas333 Well-Known Murderhobo

I doubt it. With the right combination of powers, maybe. Except that you need to defeat Dragons detection software, Taylors power, Amys Ygg, the precautions Riley put in place after the master/stranger got them at school, and any other tinker project that may have been put in place as precautions by the tinkers of pantheon. Plus, all it takes is for one of those children to go traitor for the entire scheme to be blown open, and trying to throw the blame off to someone means that you need to fool a combination of Lisa, Dragon, and Dinah. Oh wait, Lisa is probly asking this to Dinah every day- "What is the chance that a party will take hostile action against pantheon within the next 24 hours?" -(note, may not exactly be phrased that way, but you get the gist). Attacking Pantheon isn't viable unless you are willing to spend resources equal to the entire protectorates worth of loyal and trustworthy capes, and you have a way to fuck with precog.
    Oh, Coil is in there too.

Volkogluk and dasstan like this.
  4. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

It was intentional.

Chapters only happen to characters when something interesting is going on in their lives. You're free to write an omake if you like.

Chapters only happen to characters when something interesting is going on in their lives. You're free to write an omake if you like.

Jack of Olives and Ryan Bazana like this.
  5. gatewaewanderer

gatewaewanderer Wandering Fool & Intermediate Lurker

There is at least one mildly interesting question I wouldn't mind the answer to concerning Noelle and Trickster - has Noelle finally managed to remove the stick from Trickster's ass, or is he as much of a dick as ever? :)

Seriously, since Noelle has been acting as secretary for Pantheon since a good while before Avalon was officially announced, she's likely seen and heard quite a bit. A recap of some of her most interesting experiences, interspersed with news on what happened to the other Travellers (and maybe what happened to other major Traveller asshole, Cody, since last we heard, he was still in the CUI, unless that's changed from canon,) would be interesting, maybe as a prelude to Noelle welcoming / accepting a phone call for someone important to setup a meeting with Pantheon as she did with Alexandria a while back when Alexandria went to discuss things with Pantheon after Pantheon's victory against the Simurgh as said interlude ends. I'd try my hand at it, but lately when I can get the muse cooperate with me and get the juices flowing, most of what comes out is mild-to-extreme crack, and the meeting would likely be with the Animaniac's Boo the Chicken, Earth Bet's first Non-Human, Non-Entity, Non-AI Stranger-Class Cape...

Volkogluk, TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  6. dasstan

dasstan :)

I'm probably misremembering, but wasn't he killed in the fight with Behemoth? I thought there was something in there about the CUI members not being able to jump back in time after a certain point in the battle.

7. gatewaewanderer

gatewaewanderer Wandering Fool & Intermediate Lurker

I don't remember him being mentioned by name or description, so I dunno...

8. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Actually, if I'm remembering things right it's even worse of an idea than that. Because I have some vague recollection of someone mentioning that Taylor can re-take control of all the various suits they've provided people at a moment's notice, or at least shut them all down, which is a great big chunk of any attacking force suddenly turned against you or just a liability.

Of course... nobody else knows they can do that, at least not for sure.

No, the PRT have access to a bunch of children who are incredibly mentally screwed, and not likely to take orders unless they damn well want to. It takes a lot of time and effort to train proper infiltration teams. Even then, the kiddies might choose to simply break away from the PRT, as there is almost nothing to tie them to them outside of their father's death (and that;s a bundle of problems in itself).

As soon as they step onto Yggdrasil (if they can even get through whatever is guarding the portal) Amelia or Taylor will know they're there. If they pay the least bit of attention to what's going on, that right there is where the 'covert takeover' stops. The ground drops out from under them, they drop into stasis pods, Riley pulls out some blood samples and they work on the anti-master/stranger drug before letting the kids out virtually powerless.

And since this is a covert thing, and the PRT/USA government wouldn't dare admit what they just did, Pantheon is now free to force Heartbreaker's kids to work for them via implanted bugs/Riley's tech same as Coil. Congratulations, your large covert task force is now in the hands of Pantheon.

9. Finbar

Finbar I trust you know where the happy button is?

One thing I am curious about, is whats happened to Brian?

I recall him escaping and not killing Piggot, but whats he been doing since then? It's been a while after all.

Volkogluk and TanaNari like this.
  10. Daunmi

My guess is that TanaNari is holding him in reserve so he can be used at the worst possible moment to fuck everyone over. He's neglected to respond to previous questions regarding Brian, which usually means there's something going on.

sephlington, Diller, dasstan and 2 others like this.
  11. Finbar

Finbar I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well......thats not good.

Actually, Brockton Bay is a rather large plot hole right now.

what happend to the Crawler and Imp Statue? Was it destroyed by the orbital strike?

12. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

Imp was napalm, not crystallize

13. Daunmi

Imp wasn't ever a statue, or at least was never a full statue enough to get a copy out of. Burned to death, if I'm remembering right.

As for Crawler, either smashed to bits, or used by the Endbringer to remake itself at one of it's level changes. I mean, what they dropped on the city was pretty damn annihilating, and at this point he wouldn't be regenerating from it regardless.

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  14. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 305- Taylor
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 305- Taylor

It's eleven at night here, I sighed inwardly. High noon Japan, and when they wanted to hold this meeting. "They're doing this on purpose," I stated. "They want us off our game by having us tired for this meeting."

"Probably," Amelia agreed, reaching over and brushing my hand. Instantly I felt like I'd just woken up from a good sleep. AcceptanceGlad. "Don't worry about me, I probably wouldn't crash for another hour even without the meeting."

"Thanks," I responded a bit belatedly. I looked down at my 'formal' armor. A few modifications had been made to our dress outfits. Mine being a deep metallic blue with gold trim. While Amelia was in a softer green and white costume design. Both were capable of passing as nice, if concealing, women's business suits. The fact that the armor was all one piece wasn't concealed at all. If anything, it was emphasized by the design. If we were going to be taken seriously, we'd have to look the part. And this equipment certainly looked serious.

It also hid what the few admittedly unnatural curves I now had. Definitely playing up the masculine role I adopted for my public persona somewhere along the line. Deep inside, the little girl that had dreamed of one day being a paragon of feminine beauty like Alexandria died a little. Well, at least I was no longer pedo bait like I was a year ago. Now it was just gay men.

I noted that Amelia's hand hadn't left mine. And one gay woman, I amended. Oh well, I could live with far worse fates.

"I have a direct link into your emotions and I still have trouble figuring you out, sometimes," she smirked at me.

"Just thinking about the weird path life's taken me," I responded, then I kissed her forehead. I was pretty sure my late teen growth spurt was over, so now I knew I'd always be a bit over half a head taller than my fiancee. "It's good, but it's definitely very, very weird."

"I know what you mean," she agreed. "Wouldn't trade it for the world." She nuzzled into me a little.

"It'd be a pretty lousy trade," I pointed out. "After all, you'd be giving up two worlds that you already own."

She gave my arm a light swat.

"One minute to showtime, ladies," Lisa's voice came over the com system. "So unless you want to try for a world record setting quickie, you may want to get ready for meeting the Emperor of Japan."

I stepped away from Amelia and let her give my outfit a final quick look. SatisfactionDesire. Really, Ames, you have to think that now? SheepishAmused.

She looked away, toward the viewscreen. I wasn't sure what kind of equipment they'd be looking through, but we had a beautiful system at least partially designed by Dragon, although it was really more Emma's work. Hmm, I should probably remember to thank her for the effort more often.

Our screen clicked on, showing what constituted the Emperor of Japan, a ten year old boy. He was dressed in a sharp suit, and I was glad for our 'public' armor design being fairly lacking in ostentatiousness, more akin to a military uniform than a superhero costume. Lisa and Sabah certainly made the right calls with that one.

Next to him stood the effective Emperor, the boy's uncle. Currently the Regent of Japan, until his nephew was old enough to be officially recognized, and one of only two valid male heirs to the throne, after a home grown terrorist/progressive supervillain group attempted to eliminate the royal family for good several years ago. They were partially successful in the attempt, killing several members of the royal family and others that could be considered valid heirs should the direct royal line be deceased. There were no doubt advisors watching, but this wasn't a negotiation. Nothing legal or binding could happen here, today.

Nothing legal or binding would achieve what we were here to achieve. Laws and treaties had their place, but right now we were more concerned with the symbolism and romanticism of this arrangement. That's what we needed to make use of. Everything else was secondary.

As we were, in theory, the guests at this meeting. And I was, in theory, the man in this partnership, I spoke first. "Thank you for seeing us, Emperor," I opened. "It is an honor to finally speak with you in person." Even though you're a child and the Queen of England has far more power in Canada than you do in Japan. We probably have more power in Canada than you have in Japan.

<It is good to meet you,> the translation tech did its job masterfully. Only by lip reading would you realize it wasn't what the boy actually said. <I appreciate your awareness of our interests at this time.>

"That's probably a translation error," Lisa whispered voice came into our earbuds. "They're using archaic Japanese. Trust me, they're not going to admit they're 'interested' in the way we think that word means. And don't worry, our tech's translating to what you say into modern Japanese. There won't be similar translation errors on their end."

<Especially in the wake of the death of Fish Demon,> the boy's uncle spoke. <Surely you must have many concerns right now to worry yourselves with.>

"Leviathan," Lisa volunteered, unhelpfully. "They're saying that we consider them valuable enough to go through this crap, and they're right of course. This is their negotiation tactic, so we're running Plan Three for now."

More helpful. So we are going with aloof and confident, almost bored. We can do that. We've certainly practiced it enough times to make it convincing.

"Most of our significant concerns are already being dealt with," I spoke.

"We trust our subordinates to handle the lesser details," Amelia agreed.

"There is little left for us save diplomacy and preparations for the next Endbringer conflict," I added. "There is little we can do to accelerate our Endbringer preparations beyond where they currently are."

<I see,> the child-Emperor spoke. <My advisors tell me you wish to speak of marrying one of your people into our royal family.>

"My apologies," Amelia apologized. She was, of course, to be the softer part of the conversation. "While that possibility was mentioned between our advisors and yours, I'm afraid things have changed. I trust you saw Atropos' public unmasking of her identity."

<We have,> the Emperor spoke. <It is indeed, as she said, portentous that one of our own was responsible for Leviathan's death.>

Translator must have worked out that kink, at least. "We've been told that she is being celebrated as a hero in your nation," Amelia added. "The Avenger of Kyushu, I believe the exact phrase was."

<You are correct,> the older man confirmed. Not that he needed to, we already knew the answer.

"She has captured the hearts and imaginations of your people," Amelia continued. "As well as those of most of the world. She's a household name throughout much of the world. That's why we believe you should grant her a royal title, and permission to start her own branch of the royal family, without the marriage. She would, in essence, have the status as a non inheriting son of the former Emperor."

<Preposterous!> the uncle exclaimed. <The very idea of it is absurd!>

"There is precedent for it," Amelia argued. "Other heroes of Japanese history have been granted similar titles-"

<Not for centuries! Such a thing is more myth than history,> he insisted. <And never a woman.>

The boy just watched, obviously less emotionally attached to the idea. Although it would be him who approved the idea, when it was approved. And it would be, if we had anything to say in the matter.

"Emperor," I spoke up, directing the comment at the one who mattered. "Your throne is dying. Japan is dying. The royal family no longer has the support of its people, and everyone knows it. What we're offering you is an opportunity to salvage your nation."

<By surrendering it to foreigners,> the Regent argued.

"By revitalizing it with new ideas," Amelia argued. "By healing the rifts and allowing it to move into the future. Japan was suffering even before Leviathan's attack, and it never recovered after. This is your chance to fix that."

<We are a strong people, we can solve our own problems. One of those planets you have been giving out to the Europeans would accomplish a great deal,> the man responded. <Or are you denying us a portal for political gains?>

"Maybe Japan could rebuild itself," I started, ignoring the chance to point out that if we gave them a portal it means they didn't achieve anything on their own. "But there are enemies in your back yard. Were we to build a portal in your nation, you'd face invasion from China within the month. Even if we were to use our resources to protect you, millions could die in the conflict. Already eleven of the portals in Europe have faced similar assaults. Only three succeeded, and they were eventually reclaimed by their rightful owners. Would you see Japan face a war with the Yangban?"

<They're right, Uncle,> the boy spoke up. <We cannot win against China. Avalon offers an excellent opportunity to restore our nation.>

Wow, that was a lot quicker than I expected.

<Your advisors also spoke of opening the gate to Avalon and giving Japan governance of its equivalent lands?> the Emperor asked.

"More," Amelia spoke. I did my part and slapped them with sense, now it was Amelia's turn to offer them a consolation. "Avalon's oceans are smaller than Bet's. You should have a couple hundred more square kilometers of land, conservatively estimated."

"In addition," I cut in. "Most of Avalon is unclaimed. With Japan's current population and some creativity, you could very easily claim a full quarter of our world's equivalent to China. Perhaps significantly more, with luck and time."

<We would have to accept your nation's laws in our colonies,> the Regent cut in, sounding less than pleased. <And with it, the risk that our colony would abandon its homeland in exchange for other loyalties.>

"You had to accept the United States' rule after the World War," I countered. "And even if you do lose your colonies, you'll have one of the direct portals to Avalon, and all the trade opportunities that offers. Avalon's oceans cannot support life, Avalon's soil is not yet ready to support crops not born of the Yggdrasil. It is to your extreme economic and political advantage to accept our offer."

<What do you gain?> He demanded.

"People," I answered. No sense in hiding it. "As with all the colony worlds, we are in need of colonists. In addition, before Kyushu, Japan had a strong focus on education, art and science. All things that we wish for Avalon in the future."

<You don't need the royal family to get Japan's people,> the Emperor cut in. <They will flock to your American portal no matter what we say or do here today. We lack the power to stop them, it will be a repeat of the exodus of refugees after Kyushu.>

SurprisedImpressed. That's a very good grasp of the situation. "You are very observant, Emperor," Amelia praised

<To accept your offers, all of them, would allow us opportunity to profit from the event and protect our honor,> the boy continued. <Including, perhaps, reclaiming a good portion of the people we lost after Kyushu. In exchange, all you seem to be asking for is a title with no legitimate value. It is an excellent offer, and I am inclined to accept.>

<Nephew!> the Regent objected. Do they really address each other like that, or is the translator still glitching out?

<I am still your Emperor, Uncle,> the boy cut him off, then looked back to us. <There must be one stipulation.>

Dammit, isn't there always? FrustrationPersistence.

<The Avenger of Kyushu may have her title, but she shall never be allowed to live within the palace,> he asserted. <This is the home that my ancestors bequeathed to their descendants. She is neither of royal blood, nor a royal consort, this will never be her home. Save if she chooses to marry a true member of the family in the future. That same rule shall extend to any future family she produces.>

SurpriseAgreement. Is that all? "I believe that's acceptable," I responded, carefully hiding my happiness at this development. Lily had been worried about them trying to take her freedoms and visibility. Reducing her to a sheltered symbol and doing little more than parading her about to look good and then sequestering her away again. But this was a specific decree that made that impossible. Literally the ideal outcome. "We will, of course, consult with Lily and our advisors to determine final arrangements."

<As must I,> the boy nodded. <There are trifles beneath all great things. However, I believe we are in agreement that in exchange for a portal to Avalon, your Endslayer will receive the title of Princess. Now if you'll excuse me, I have many matters to attend to.>

"Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown," Amelia quoted.

The boy smiled. <Interesting quote,> he responded. <I think I like it.>

"It's from Shakespeare," she volunteered. "Henry the Fourth."

<I will remember that,> he agreed. <I shall instruct my advisors to expect your contact in three days, I expect that shall be long enough.>

"Yes, thank you," Amelia answered. "Goodbye."

The screen turned off.

ReliefSuccess. "Wow," Amelia smiled. "That went enormously better than I thought it would."

"I know!" I agreed. "That was almost... too... god damn it. Lisa, please tell me this sudden feeling of absolute dread is unwarranted."

"Depends on what you consider 'warranted'," Lisa spoke over the com.

==================

A/N- Wow. This chapter really ran away from me. Over 2300 words.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  15. Daunmi

I didn't wait till the end. At this point I figured something was wrong.

:)

'unwarranted'

They're not considering anything warranted, Taylor's asking if it's unwarranted, so Lisa's comment should include the same.

Ryuketsu, Buggy123, Twei and 7 others like this.
  16. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Interesting. Progress has been made.

Which means that there's problems coming down the line, fast.

I would imagine there was supposed to be a word in there. 'plotted or 'attempted', perhaps?

17. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

Should be italicized.

Divabot likes this.
  18. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

AcceptanceGlad
    SatisfactionDesire
    SheepishAmused
    Fourth, as both a title, and as a signifier of royalty.

TanaNari likes this.
  19. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

This update felt genuinely Taylor. I like it.

pepperjack and TanaNari like this.
  20. rooster

rooster Succ

Whaaa? What's this about Brian?

Did you guys miss him being a villain that was put down by Pantheon a while back?
    I can't remember what happened to him afterwards, but I don't expect him to make a return at all.

TanaNari likes this.
  21. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Yes but he was rescued en-route to the Birdcage and his location is currently unknown.

He is certainly coming back at the most inconvenient time, Tananari is probably mildly annoyed that we're drawing attention back to him so it will be minutely more difficult to blindside us with that option.

22. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Obviously Brian was going to come back by ganking Accord. (We haven't heard from him lately either.)

Thunder Man Soul and dasstan like this.
  23. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

maybe Brian and Accord are now married... :D

powerofvoid, TanaNari and dasstan like this.
  24. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Obviously he joined the YangBang.

Snake/Eater and doomlord9 like this.
  25. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Not sure if that's a typo but...

I would join too If I could manage it.

Faraway-R and Silvercrystal like this.
  26. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Brian/Accord - the Honeymooners or the Odd Couple

27. Faraway-R

Faraway-R Getting sticky.

Eheheheh. Taylor has learned well.

Why, I expect her to expect dropping of the other shoe after Scion is dealt with...

Fast forward 3000 years and three entities are visiting. "Ah, so that is the other shoe. Quite a long wait, though." And then entities were backup parahuman generators.

28. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

By the time the next Entities visit, they'll have figured out a Lensman-style Sunbeam weapon.

What's that, you ask?

It's a weapon that focuses about 95 to 99 percent of a sun's power into a single particle beam. It will melt planets.

Because in Lensman, they don't think small.

29. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Correction, an Omni-Dimensional Sunbeam weapon.

Because the only thing more overkill than using a star as fuel for a beam weapon is using 10^50 stars as fuel for a weapon all at the same time at the same target in the same beam.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  30. dasstan

dasstan :)

... In 3,000 years, the next Entities will take a gander towards the Milky Way, see the multidimensional, galaxy spanning Confederation of Human States (lead by the Empire of Avalon, of course) and Nope right along to somewhere else.

Assuming they don't run out of power first (and with the naked singularity tech backed by years and years of Dragon and Co's refinement, they won't), I would fully expect them to have figured out symbiosis with the passengers by that point.