1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Huh. Yeah, that was bullshit.

2. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

AFAICT, the problem wasn't what you had to say, but that you had to say it right after everyone was told to just stop. What you had to say was praiseworthy, but it was really the wrong time-place to say it.

3. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

And now for a bit of fanart.
    [​IMG]

4. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

*re-reads chapter*

Sunset is best Pony Waifu. (Actually everypony is best pony waifu...but Sunset is the bestest.)

Bramble Thorn and RichardWhereat like this.
  5. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

*Check*

Huh, so it's not. That's gonna be corrected but jsut so you know, you appeal by contacting our admin with your issue with a mod's ruling.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because DC has done "exit the comic and meet your creator" storylines there is no distinction between Doylist and Watsonian reasoning in the DC multiverse.

7. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Minus the pitch black darkness and Cthulul shit trying to eat you.

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He does remember the JLA cartoon and one of hie personal villains says they invade in the future so...

Is not like the opinion of lke four or five people matters to him more than Earth not being prepared for an alien invasion.

That he can mind control unless is alien or the actual Elder Gods themselves.

9. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Oooh, this is juicy. I've been hoping for more Thanagarian nonsense for a while now.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given Nth Metal disrupts constructs Paul is probably going to get his ass kicked at least a little on Thanagar.

11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

There still is if the creator (in this universe, Zoat) comes up with a Watsonian reason for something to happen, as opposed to just saying it does. In this case, Zoat provided a Watsonian reason to the people in-universe, so Watsonian logic applies. He also named them the same thing people did in older comics, so Doylist logic applies.

Crucially, Watsonian logic can still be written by an author, even if it is an open secret in universe that he exists.

The distinction is - people in-universe don’t know they are created most of the time.

Prince Charon likes this.
  12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

If he starts a fight, probably. He still has his freeze ray though, so he can still fight civilians/ low ranking military.

13. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Ah, the HEAT strategy

14. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

But do crumblers work on Nth metal? Also, what about the thing where you can make it explode by running a current through it like he did to take out phased targets?
    And what about qua weapons? Remember OL has a weaponer on speed dial, so he can just ask how to make something that will wreck their shit.

15. Itypeslow

Itypeslow Corpses for the Corpse God!

Shouldn't this be: "have no" or "had no resistance"?

Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  16. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

OL gets his ass kicked in pretty much every battle unless he's fighting a fellow hero.

RagnarokAscendant likes this.
  17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

complaints

have

Mr Zoat likes this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Crumblers shouldn't be effective against Nth metal given how they were they described as working.

Remember Nth Metal disrupts constructs, so nothing that involves touching the material would be effective.

He could also ask her to make him a suit of super orange battery power armor.

But he won't, because Paul doesn't think like that.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Because Zoat is going with the "power batteries are highly explosive" bit of lore.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  20. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

The name of the episode is Wing and Dagger, which I took to be the Thanagarian equivalent of Cloak and Dagger. I'm pretty sure Lightsaber Girl and her umbramancer friend are Marvel, so by process of elimination I think the conflict in this episode will be more focused on intrigue. So, while Nth metal has a potential to be an issue, a far more likely threat is Paul not using his empathic on people that he believes to be trustworthy in a society where, at least in the DCAU, romantic conflicts are settled by assassination.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  22. Threadmarks: Wing and Dagger (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

21st January
    14:32 GMT

Lantern Dul floats in interstellar space a short distance from her current stop on the Orange Lantern Corps Goodwill Tour. From the looks we were getting as we headed into orbit I'd say that she was at least reasonably well received by the locals, who to me looked disconcertingly like a cross between crabs and lictors.

Sometimes being able to interpret non-humanoid body language is weird.

"Got everything you need?"

She blinks slowly at me, the thanagarian equivalent of a puzzled frown. She's wearing… Slightly heavier armour than she wore to the conference. Not sure whether she's used the time since to put it together or if she didn't consider it necessary. Heh, but now she knows me better. One mace, two side arms, one glowing ring…

"I mean, no personal effects? You mentioned that you weren't the only one assigned to your original mission. Among humans, we would customarily return their personal effects to their next of kin."

"We didn't have much. I left everything with their bodies on what's left of our ship." She notices as my eyes widen. "Almost all thanagarians are materialists. None of them thought what happened to their bodies after they died was important."

"Um. If you give me the coordinates I can pick the ship up and return it to Thanagar." I place my right hand over my heart. "My oath to Gaea that I will not access its data storage or perform detailed scans of the ship or of its contents."

"Why? What do your people do with the remains of dead spacefarers?"

"My people go into space on rockets. We don't have enough spacefarers to have a tradition. Water warships that sink are left alone, but that's on a living world. In.. space… Take it from someone who's died, that's.. not a good place to leave them."

"You believe that their souls are trapped there forever."

"I don't have enough magic researchers to task them with studying the process in detail, but based on what I know…" I nod. "It's a distinct possibility."

She regards me sceptically for a moment, but apparently decides that there's no harm in humouring me. "I'll refer your request up my chain of command."

I nod. "Thank you. Now, for the journey to Earth we've got a couple of options. I can teleport us-" I raise my right hand to my forehead. "-there instantly, but Hinon tells me that unless your control is excellent you could risk physical and psychological damage." I lower my right hand. "I could get around that by suppressing your mental activity or connection to the orange light, but those options have their own problems. Alternatively, I can fly us there, which will take a few hours, or create a large zeta beam emitter construct to send you there in a few seconds."

"If your people have controllable zeta beam transportation then why do you still fly in space with chemical rockets?"

"We'd use zeta beams for that too, but we've only recently got the power generation capacity to keep them running. And of course we can't go anywhere safely without a receiver station. As it is, it's a fast but expensive way for getting around one planet, and… Not very useful otherwise. I'd basically be firing you at an upgraded version of the zeta beam generator invented… Fifty seven years ago. It's still the only one configured for long ranged travel."

"And it's safe?"

I nod. "Tested it yesterday. The people studying it are quite enthusiastic about getting a live subject through."

"Zeta beam."

"Rightyho."

I fly away from her to give myself space, then generate the large interstellar zeta tube. Not just the actual tube bit; even with it looking more like Dr Erdel's original version than the more streamlined modern version that part still isn't particularly large. I've also got the exotic radiation generating equipment, the generator and the capacitors. And a cartoony-looking control panel with one of those u-shape levers you can wrap your fist around, because why not?

I wrap my right fist around it. "Ready?"

"Yes."

I pull the lever down. The interior of the construct glows for a moment, then Lantern Dul is gone.

One. Two. Three…

"Illustres to Lantern Dul."

"I've arrived. I'm heading to Officer Hol's place of residence."

"Good show. I'll meet you in orbit."

I dismiss my construct, focus on Mr Cantrell and raise my right hand to my forehead once again.

21st January
    07:34 GMT -7

I appear a mile or so above his house, then move my right hand to my right ear.

"Call Richard Grayson."

"Compliance."

A few seconds of dial tone…

"Hey."

Not 'hey, Oh El'. Which means that he's not 'Robin' at the moment.

"How is she?"

"Not… Great." He breathes out slowly. "And not just because of you. She's having nightmares about what happened to the little people in Switzerland."

"Yes, I'm not surprised. I'd have tried saying something, but I was more worried about her staff. And I didn't want to sound too sympathetic in case I inadvertently gave the impression that my rejection wasn't entirely earnest."

"Oh, you don't need to worry about that. She's pretty convinced."

"You've… Had contact with people who've done.. things under the influence, haven't you?"

"Yeah. Nothing.. quite like this. I'll.. keep visiting her."

"Has she-? She could talk to her friends about it. Her.. normal friends. Her identity isn't a secret-."

"This isn't really something most people have a whole lot of contact with. I'm not sure if they'd actually help or… If they'd get scared off."

I nod sombrely. "Any ideas?"

"I do actually know a good trauma counsellor. I'm going to talk to Zatara about arranging a meeting."

I nod. "Switzerland was quite a bit… More than she is used to. That might well be for the best. Though… If they ask why she started using the Star Sapphire in the first place-."

"Then she'll just have to tell them."

"I suppose she will. Thank you for talking to her."

"Hey, what are friends for?"

I hang up and lower my hand. Oh, hang on. I hold my left hand out in front of me. Ring, call Hinon.

Compliance.

Her face appears, floating over my ring.

"I'm heading to Thanagar. Do you want me to get you anything?"

"No." She doesn't bother actually looking at me. "I should be finished with my survey by the time you get back. We can talk about it then."

"Alright. See you when I see you."

She looks up, frowning. "That's a tautol-."

I hang up, and fly down towards the Halls' garden.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Hahahahahaha. I do enjoy Paul yanking Hinon's chain.

24. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Don't be rude to best Grandma. What are you, american?

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Does Robin still have a crush on Zatanna? I'm wondering because, would it be considered healthy for her if she got over Paul and then decided to try things out with Robin.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Lantern Dul floats in interstellar space a short distance...

...That's quite the image...

The space between the words of 'space farer' reads oddly. Maybe make it one word (spacefarer, after seafarer) in each case?

Human bullshit. You'll get used to it.

...original version than the more streamlined modern version...

Of course. It's the style of the thing, after all.

I wrap my right fist around it. "Ready?"

PTSD and a broken heart. Hoo-boy, she's gonna need all the hugs...
    Holy crap, Common Sense? In a Superhero? Mark the calendar! :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Batman and Robin are among the few comic-book (or cartoon, in this case) superheroes that I'd expect to know good trauma counselors, even if I doubt they use them, themselves.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know very well that Death doesn't care where you die, so stop being silly Paul.

Otto von Saurion and nobodez like this.
  29. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Honestly they all should. I mean, I don't expect that here due to the deconstructive nature, but just in general.

30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Remember -afterlives are planet exclusive and sort of suck people in. Death doesn’t get you to them. Otherwise there would be no ghosts, and I’m fairly sure DC has ghosts. She might make sure you do something you’re supposed to. That doesn’t mean that that something isn’t staying right where you are if you are on a dead planet. Paul even linked a scene in the comics where the same happened, so he does have reason to worry.