1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not to the extent necessary which moving near the speed of light would require.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I never thought I'd ask this question outside of a DND campaigner.(Granted I didn't think I'd ever be asking this at all) ............ Is it still bestiality if its polymorphed?

reddraggone9 and Navi-Hank like this.
  3. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Flash cheats. Period.

Seriously, nothing about the flash is "the simplest solution to a human speedster that can move at 90% C". It's all bizarre arbitrary rules to let him do that but not make him ridiculously OP at the same time.

I've read a story with a realistic speedster. That is, realistic as in the fewest necessary handwaves, minimal secondary powers (or at least secondary powers they tell you about), and least amount of phlebotium to make their powers work.

To sum it up (possible spoilers for the story):

• They can create more-or-less arbitrary fields of acceleration in, or very close to their body. There are functional limits on precision, etc, but it's good enough to move their limbs or such without tearing them apart. The maximum sustained acceleration is about 10,000,000,000 G's. This also allows them to reduce (but not eliminate) air resistance and supersonic-shockwaves-thereof.
    • They can "clamp down" on all of the molecules composing their body, both consciously and unconsciously, preventing any sort of movement all the way down to molecular vibrations and chemical reactions. This effect isn't absolute, but it's strong enough to hold everything in place even at nuclear-fusion temperatures.
    • They have a "secondary brain", which forms a gestalt with their normal organic brain most of the time. Necessarily so, because the secondary brain is volatile over timespans of a few hours, and has to be kept stable and up-to-date via the normal brain. However, the secondary brain can think millions of times faster, and the 'clock rate' is consciously controllable.
    • They can "entropy and momentum dump", meaning they can use the ground to change their momentum and to dispose of waste heat. This is necessary because all of these abilities obey things like Newton's Laws and Thermodynamics.

All of this together results in something like a Flash-level speedster, with as few things shoehorned in as possible. You get the whole can-run-near-lightspeed thing, you get the instant blink-and-they're-gone sorta thing, you got the thinking really fast thing, all the major tropes are there.

You can't really get rid of any of these things without compromising a lot of those tropes, and (almost) all of these powers come from the same core ability: the ability to create arbitrary and extreme acceleration gradients in a small area, along with the sort of computing hardware you'd expect to go along with it. Everything except the entropy dumping is built off of that; the entropy dumping is something else spoilery. Now, what powers it is another matter...
    At birth, she was magically connected to a extradimensional being/space ship/life support capsule from a higher-energy universe. A sort of being that would feel at home on the surface of a neutron star.
    But there's no danger of running out of gas.

Now, lets look at the consequences of this minimalist power-set:
    • Touch or grab something at speed? Is it small enough to fit in the dampening field? If not, that's not so much "grabbing" as "exerting 1000x more force than any material on earth can withstand". Prepare for inevitable broken doors, and carrying people is right out.
    • Read a entire library in a hour? Perfectly possible, the secondary brain can hold it, but anything that isn't jammed into the organic brain before you sleep is going to be lost. If you get any ideas about building a apartment complex or a bridge in 10 seconds flat, well, just keep in mind the first bullet point.
    • Run around the world before you can blink? Well, maybe. That trick for reducing air resistance isn't perfect. 10-20% C isn't that bad, but if you want to run around at 80%+ be prepared to leave behind a trail that would put a nuclear arsenal to shame. And you're subject to relativity, same as everyone else; no reaching lightspeed.
    • Throw things? Absolutely, it just has to fit in the damping field. Small rocks work well.
    • Throw things at 20% C? Yep.
    • Throw a pile of things at a reasonable subjective pace (10,000 a second), at 20% C? Yes.
    • Laugh at anyone who tries to grab/shoot/blow up/otherwise hurt you? Yes. If anyone even manages to hit you, you technically qualify as the strongest being on earth, and definitely the most durable. And that molecular clamping is instinctive and runs on a tiny, non-volatile part of your secondary brain, so you're no more vulnerable in your sleep or at any other time.
    • Shrug off mind control? Well, your normal brain is vulnerable, but unless there are telepaths that can manipulate a extra-dimensional computer running millions of times faster than they are (hint: there aren't), you can't exactly be mind controlled at speed, and it'll wear off if you speed up (for instance, if they try to get you to use your powers for nefarious purposes).

Put simply, you end up with someone who qualifies as probably one of the most powerful people on earth in any remotely reasonable setting. I'm somewhat amazed that the author of that story managed to make a actual, decent story with actual conflict, with a protagonist that is so ludicrously powerful.

4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I am somewhat less amazed. I've read all the way through it and it's definitely a good story, but the secret sauce that makes it work isn't especially mindblowing: the story isn't about using the powers. If the story was all about violent conflict, then Flicker would be ridiculously overpowered and the story would consist of predictable curb-stomps. But it's not, and that's why it works: it's primarily a social story, and the powers are just worldbuilding to set up that social story. There ARE violent conflicts, but they serve as major climax points instead of being everpresent like they are in most superhero fiction.

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

but yeah 556 bounces off his skin causing him to bleed (partially bulletproof) I reckon a 20mm cannon would mush him.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  6. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Since both Magni and Sunset are human-shaped, it would be "with a not-pony"-ality for her.

Prince Charon and DrThoth like this.
  7. Threadmarks: Wing and Dagger (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

20th January
    20:01 GMT -5

I look around at the eager-. At the faces of my team mates. And at Mr Hol, who is lurking in the background having said that he's interested in getting an alien's perspective on his society. Ah, my first lecture. Kaldur did say he wanted senior team members to take a greater role in teaching, and after he saw the amount of time I was spending on reviewing information on Thanagar I suppose that it's only natural that I was volunteered. At least they look a little more attentive than they did when Major Adams gave his lecture back when we first started. I don't.. think that Thanagarian culture will ever become an important part of a team mission, but I suppose that you never know.

Kara's come along as well, and I only had to niggle her a little. Zatanna hasn't, which...

Yeah.

I dim the lights with a thought, and use the lecture room's hologram projector to bring up an image of the Milky Way galaxy.

"Thanagar."

A green line points to it. And -given the scale- about fifty other systems which are sort of nearby. I open a new window and bring up a slowly rotating image of the world itself.

"Population four point eight billion sophonts. Leading exports: farming equipment and computer equipment. Leading imports: agricultural products and art. Government type: military oligarchy. Politically unified, and the capital world of the Thanagarian Empire. Perhaps most relevant to us, it's the homeworld of Hawkman, Hawkwoman and.. Hawkgirl, in her original incarnation. It's also the largest and most powerful stellar nation in our region of space, having six colonies with populations of over half a billion as well as twenty smaller colonies, and a total military strength greater than any other stellar nation until you reach the Crown Imperium near Vega."

A blue line appears, pointing to Kranaltine. At this scale they look like they're pretty much next door to each other, though the distance is actually much greater than that. Thanagar quite pointedly isn't expanding in their direction, though whether that's because of the Crown Imperium or because they don't want anything to do with Vega I have no idea.

"That's pretty important, because it means that they're the largest major stellar nation near to us."

A yellow line, again almost right next to the other two.

"According to the testimony of Nylor Truggs, they end up conquering the Earth some time in the next five hundred years. They're expansionist, militant, and not exactly shy about conquering nearby systems and settling worlds that already have someone living on them."

Given that the idea the Blades of Alstair had of working as mercenaries for training purposes wasn't exactly novel, it's a little hard to tell exactly how big the Thanagarian military actually is. There's essentially no dividing line between private military companies that get conscripted in times of war, and state military groups which sometimes take external contracts. That's why I gave short shrift to Ms Hol's complaints last year when I did an assessment of the League's ability to fight Thanagarian 'corporate security'.

"Thanagar's population is split between two species, with no other group having statistically significant representation. The largest group are the dominant-" I gesture to Mr Hol with my right hand. "-bird-winged humanoids, commonly referred to as 'thanagarians'. The word 'Thanagar' itself comes from an older form of their most widely used language, Quarish, and means something along the lines of 'defensible home base'. They make up about two thirds of the population, and virtually the entirety of the government is drawn from their species."

"The remaining third is comprised of lizarkons."

I generate a construct image of what looks like a standard issue dinosaur man.

"The name sounding like the English word 'lizard' is a coincidence. The actual etymology of the word indicates that it come from an old Quarish word meaning 'from the ground' or 'restricted to the ground'. As you can see, they don't have wings, which put them at a fairly major disadvantage when competing with the thanagarians."

Though it's more than that. Without Nth metal throughout their bodies, they're actually weaker and -despite the scales- less resilient. They also were far slower in developing Nth metal based technologies. Early fights between the two groups were painfully one-sided. Never let it be said that diabolism doesn't pay.

Raquel frowns. "Quarish is a bird-thanagarian language, right?"

"It's spoken by pretty much everyone on the planet these days, but it was originally a small 't' thanagarian language."

"So it's not what they call themselves."

"It is these days. Standardised compulsory education, all government communications and all official records are in Quarish, and in some cases it's actually illegal to put them in other languages. Plekesh -the second most common language- only really survives because it's common in the older colonies, but again, their populations are virtually all small 't' thanagarian."

"So the.. government is stamping out their culture?"

"Oh yes, quite deliberately. Since the current form of government seized power, there's been a deliberate effort at social engineering. The lionisation of the military, universal national service, standardised everything, the requirement for at least ten years in the military for anyone who wants a senior government position and the generous grants given to demobbed soldiers who want to move to a colony. Part of that comes from how they came to power in the first place, and the rest is from the sheer social trauma the Equality Plague caused. Essentially, they want near total social unity and they feel the best way to get that is to force a monoculture."

Raquel realises that all eyes that aren't on me are on her. "What's the Equality Plague?"

"The Equality Plague is… The historical significance it has in their culture is roughly equal to the scope of the First and Second World Wars on Earth. Essentially, the plague itself was… Probably an engineered disease which eroded a sufferer's sense of self as well as creating a low level telepathic field between all sufferers. Thanagarians and lizarkons alike had no resistance to it, and it infected the entire planet about… Seventy years ago. Sufferers lost all personality, all personal drive and gained the ability to transfer skills and memories between them. The result was near total societal collapse, as people literally couldn't know who they were or which of the memories in their heads were their own."

"As a result, there were a massive number of deaths and the world was taken over by an individual calling himself the Lord High Equaliser. He ruled for about nine years, before being killed by a strike force of uninfected thanagarians from one of the colonies." Probably. Commander Andar told me that Queen Hyathis led the attack herself, and while that's possible -the colonies were in negotiations with her at the time- I haven't been able to find evidence from the colonial side that she was involved. Which doesn't mean that she wasn't. "Of course, that didn't cure the disease, it just removed the one man the infected instinctively obeyed. The colonies were trying to find a cure, but they weren't having much luck and people started dying again."

"That's when Queen Hyathis of Alstair enters the story. At this point the situation on Thanagar was pretty desperate and the colonial authorities were looking for help anywhere they could get it. Hyathis claimed that she could cure it, but in return she wanted Thanagar's territory to be added to what she already controlled. The colonial authorities agreed, and she got to work. Alstair's sophont life forms are plant-based, and Hyathis is very good at floramancy. Everyone on Thanagar got a injection of cultured algae, and she used that to remove the disease from their bodies. The total time from the first cases of the disease to the cure was about eleven years."

"In the aftermath… A substantial number of thanagarians weren't all that happy to find themselves part of the Alstair Empire. While the exact proportion is.. pretty much impossible to find out now… As in, if you question the official line on Thanagar you will get arrested. What is agreed upon is that Hyathis took possession of the Lord High Equaliser's fleet, crewed it with thanagarians who were definitely loyal to her, and then returned to her home system with the intent of conquering her immediate neighbours. While she was away, there was a revolt -again, it's hard to get reliable numbers on exactly how big it was- which resulted in a military junta coming to power. Every Zaredian in Thanagarian space was killed -along with a lot of loyalist Thanagarians- and the new government was able to build up their defences enough that Hyathis couldn't recapture Thanagar. They're still technically at war, though there hasn't been any direct armed conflict recently."

"Ah…" Wallace glances back at Mr Hol. "You get arrested for… What's the official version?"

"That only a tiny coterie of traitors ever supported Hyathis and that she probably created the plague herself to extort Thanagar's compliance."

"And… Is that true?"

I shrug. "At this point, it's rather difficult to say."

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes, but I was underselling.

While DC might have certainly changed things around, because hey, why would they stop now, but last time I read about his depth tolerance, Aquaman's depth tolerance was "comfortable at any depth of water one can find on Earth."

So while the diving record in real life is about 1000 feet, Aquaman can go for a refreshing swim 7 miles down in the Mariana trench.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Interesting. I wonder how Hawkman and Hawkwoman feel about Paul teaching his teammates the completely impartial probable truth about the situation in Thanagar.

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's gonna take some time for her to put it behind her, I bet...

Rocket, asking the important questions...

Huh, I'm reminded of the Cerberus science team aboard the derelict Reaper, in Mass Effect 2...

"As a result, there were a massive number of deaths and...

the world was taken over by an individual calling himself the Lord High Equaliser.

From context, I'm guessing these are the plant-based sophonts from Alstair mentioned above?

Well, an Infodump, but a pertinent one...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

How boy. Paul just being honest is going to royally fuck up Thanagar.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Now that's just a lie.

But I guess Paul doesn't want to induce an existential crisis by explaining that their creator just wasn't that creative when it came to naming.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    I really wish I'd read Hawkworld before I started writing this. In that, Hawkman is getting ground down by the casual violence of Thanagar but has no idea how else a society could operate. Then he gets sent to Chicago and gets exposed to both the ideological and practical realities of running a civilisation a different way.

Hawkwoman on the other hand -after finding out during the Rann-Thanagar War that her civilisation was being taken over by satanists- preferred to side with the satanists than the people they were fighting against.

14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

For example, Robin, while unpowered, dented an apparently concrete wall in one of the S1 episodes.

15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Languages other than English exist in universe. Both Doylist and Watsonian logic are potentially true. The writer created the name, but the universe also wrote in a backstory to the language - coming from Mr. Zoat in this universe. It’s true and a coincidence in this universe because Mr Zoat says it’s true - and he’s creating this world.

Possibly, The comics and fiction just happens to be right due to information somehow escaping from the in-universe perspective.

Paul can’t say which is actually true in universe - the author’s have inside information they happen to write about, or the universe is created by the author’s.

Basically, either author’s creating the world, or info escaping is true in Paul’s original world, but he can’t say which.

Edit: What Paul is talking about isnmt that the author’s create the world, but that the language in-universe has roots in the Thanagarian language. It’s not the ring translating something completely different into Lizarkons, to get the meaning of the name having the word lizard in it across, Lizarkons is what it actually sounds like in universe - though for all we know it could be written Lis-Archons or Liz’Ar’Kons more accurately.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  16. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s not bestiality if they are capable of reasoning and can consent.

17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Do you perhaps mean 'Watsonian,' not Darwinian? Otherwise, I do agree with your post.

18. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

...and meets a certain fuego-loving Wizard for Hire.

I'd read it.

19. Stsword

This discussion reminds me of the revelations about Hawkworld (not the Hawkman prequel, but an apparently magical place that bridges the planets and inhabited by animal people ala Thundercats) in Brightest Day.

Can you imagine Shayera's reaction to finding out that Thanagarians are the result of humans and Manhawks mating?

That Manhawks are descendents of actual hawks from Earth?

That Lizarkon are descended from lizards from Earth?

Of course I think the alt.Paul in that world would feel a headache checking the DNA scan and discovering that the hawks are aliens who are somehow humans descended from birds.

Because that's just a big screw you to genetics. A human and a giant bird putting on some Barry White and suddenly there's homo sapiens accipiter.

To be fair to DC, I didn't get the impression that Hawkworld is supposed to operate on the same laws, though.

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Isn’t evolution planned in DC? There’s a group of people that decide what every animal will look like.

21. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

What episode was Sunset Shimmer found?

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Fool's Canon, in April 2011 Episode 42.

Drode, Bramble Thorn, Belenus and 6 others like this.
  23. Stsword

The Animal Masters, they showed up in Animal Man.

I think other planets were out of their jurisdiction though.

Although Animal Man made a universe with their techniques, so maybe they are universal. shrugs

Regardless, evolution of animals happens through the red.

Like in World War 3 storyline, they mess with the Red to give all of humanity kryptonian like powers temporarily.

24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

along

Mr Zoat likes this.
  25. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

"Originally we were going to call it the Hawkforce, just like we were going to call the Red Animalforce!"

26. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

As someone with only casual knowledge of DC the equality plague sounds A LOT like that one mind parasite that was mentioned a while ago, during the Paul in Marvel episode (the thing that makes marvel humans hate mutans or some other bullshit.)

Is this a case of low key plagiarism?

27. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

Mister zote could you please explain that line I'm not very familiar with the backstory of hawks and I'm not exactly sure how them being devil worshippers helped?

Alexandercctv likes this.
  28. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

knows

Mr Zoat, could you please tell me where his ability to go into the honden and 'gimmeport' comes from? Is it an outgrowth of his enlightenment and if someone else attained orange enlightenment they could learn to do the same, or is it stemming from his soul, and someone with sufficient orange light in their soul could do it?

Is it something that can be replicated as an advanced orange ring usage, or by someone connected to the OLCPB?

And that little visual show there was probably completely unnecessary, but she wanted to make perfectly sure he know she was doing something orangy, so as to shut him up.

Old Aged Person?

Error 404
    Add-On 'Voice of God' not installed in this story.

You mean Gaia didn't look like she did in Captain Planet when OL met her in the grove? No, I refuse to believe it.

You poor fool. Now you've said it. And no take backs allowed.
    DIBS ON THE MIND CONTROL HEART RING!

As someone who got a week long ban for a post disagreeing with someone who thought group think shaming of anyone who disagrees with you was a swell idea, I have to disagree. Because apparently that is current politics. Nevermind that I don't think that is part of any political platform. That I think that is just an unhealthy and toxic approach to any and every issue, and it doesn't matter which side of the issue you may be rooting for.

Notice there is not actually an avenue of redress is a mod has a beef with you. There is no appeals process in the rules. There is no "How are are Mods Modding? Have they gone mad with power? Let us know at 1-800-FUCK-YOU." in the signature of the mod post that banned you. You just get it jammed in the ass, with no thought to aftercare at all.

There is a reason I am currently only reading an episode once it is complete. Fear of getting too involved in the forum involved and getting randomly buttfucked again.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Probably not. The bacteria the SI isolated became canon decades later and is an independent being, rather than something which merges other people together.
    The SI knows that the myths concerning the Seven Devils are probably real, at least to a degree. No other life form on Thanagar uses Nth metal in quite the way they do. While he can't be certain, the Seven Devils are an obvious source of that difference.

Also, you... Really couldn't get my name right? I mean it's.. right there.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, basically. In theory, anyone could do it, but it would be far harder to reach if their soul wasn't made of orange light and they would probably end up like Larfleeze at best if they weren't enlightened.
    Old Age Pensioner. Obviously not literally.
    I'm assuming that Gaea chose the form of a local woman, though she could pick something else if appropriate.
    You.. sure you don't want the heart gauntlet?
    I don't think that the appeals system on SV or SB is more than a token effort, so I'm not prepared to give them any points for it. The example you give doesn't sound like current politics to me, but I'm not getting the context here.

30. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

The post that got me banned for a week was here.
    https://forum.questionablequesting....-si-thread-fourteen.8938/page-17#post-2406680

Some had the wonderful idea that the best way handle controversial issues is not through civil discussion, but getting a bunch of people together, socially engineering them until the majority all support "the correct opinion" and giving them free reign to bully the people who have the "wrong opinions"

And this is just monstorious, and it is monstrous no matter if the "correct opinion" is something you agree with, or disagree with.
    Because you are trying to make people more close minded, and intolerant, and thinking that bullying those who disagree with you is something to be proud of, a goal to aspire for.

And I vehemently pointed out the wrongness of that.

I didn't think opposing that would be a political issue. Because it's not about politics at all. It's about not cultivating something that is toxic to thought and reason.