1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

Forget about the constructive power of criticism, it just seems downright weird that someone who hears that a colleague has been depressed ever since the majority of his family DIED HORRIBLY would immediately jump to mocking his personal problems. Even for Grayven the complete lack of empathy seems jarring and out of character.

2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Didn’t she turn her parents into potted plants on accident or something? I know canon Twilight did that, which contributed to her shut away behavior. I think that was mentioned once - not sure if it was mentioned as not having happened though. That’s relative experience on that front at least. As he says - he’s a sociopath (?) autistic (?) trying to solve what he sees a friendship / companionship problem. He’s trying to find Magnificus someone that can relate to him and possibly comfort him, without feeling jealous or mocking him for his jealousy of his syblings.

sainen and Navi-Hank like this.
  3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Well, yes. I'd classify that under 'annoying and unhelpful,' but I suppose it did need to be said.

I will admit, though, that I am biased against Vaermina, having previously been greatly annoyed by many of his posts in Zoat's threads on SB.com and SV.com, and now here.

That wasn't how I read what he did, but it may be a valid interpretation. Grayven is really bad at helping with this type of problem, though.

4. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Yeah, I second (third?) the lack of empathy on Gravy's part and particularly with the Zeroth world problems bit, but..... Eh, he is the renegade one.

5. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Can we please stop derailing threads to bitch about Vaermina supposedly derailing threads?

I'm sorry (no I'm not) but I remember this same conversation happening with at least some of the same participants at least three times and I came into this story like... Two threads ago.

I'm pretty sure that Magni wouldn't respond well to normal therapy. Two reasons. First and most obviously, he could run intellectual circles around pretty much anyone else. The therapist wouldn't be able to get past his defenses, and it's not likely he'd want the help enough to relax them independently.

Secondly and less obviously, one of his siblings was a social polymath, wasn't she? Last thing he wants right now is to be reminded of her and all the "soft subject" digs he never realized might have actually hurt her, thinking that she died disliking him over stupid ribbing.

Thus, introducing him to Sunset Shimmer with a healthy dose of sarcasm. Magni doesn't need or want pity, with the life he's lived the idea of being pitiable at all is anathema to him. He's missing out on human interaction. He needs to be reminded he's still a person, by spending time with another person who isn't his revenge-obsessed dad.

And I think Grayven might be trying to do the matchmaker thing too, because there's a decent chance that those two could be genuinely happy together. Maybe not a great one, but it's there.

Drode, Bramble Thorn, Enochi and 15 others like this.
  6. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Trying to be impartial/ devil’s advocate - the military DOES put a lot of funding into research funding, and the opponent being a strawman IS a bit obvious. His problem seems to be that he’s the politician trying to push stasis - find a solution for the supervillain problem that works and does not involve hiring unknown, possibly untrustworthy contractors. Military spending is a traditional solution, and something Republicans always call for - it’s what usually gets voters to vote for them. The point is he’s thinking like a boring politician - even Horne probably agrees military spending isn’t necessarily bad, but it’s made for defense against foreign threats, and traditional solutions aren’t what is needed here. Problem is that instead of doing his research like a normal person, the obvious strawman uses his opinion that expanding - rather than reorganizing - the military is the best solution.

7. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Or, the DC movie is wrong. After all, they called him Shazam. DC hasn't beein trying to get things comic accurate since Nolan. Don't worry about it.

Simonbob, BBJimmy and Prince Charon like this.
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I came into this story a few months before SV banned us. Trying to defend Vaermina because essentially the same people were making the same kind of comments to him a few months worth of threads before I joined - he’s been posting things that don’t make sense in this story, but are DC canon / his head theories for quite a while. At this point , I think he might either be slightly OCD about DC canon, or get off on people being angry at him. Either way, being angry and responding to him isn’t gonna help if you want him to stop. Don’t respond to the person who you think acts like a troll. Just ignore him - even if he’s wrong, don’t be mean to him about it.

9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

If no one in the company has ever said it in an interview, the way the movie says it might be right by default, since it’s the only official source. Also, pronounciations of names might be different in different universes (with how DC writing works).

Drode and Navi-Hank like this.
  10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

There have been Captain Marvel movies, TV series, and cartoons before, so the question is how the name was pronounced back then.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Thanks!

12. Lubaf

Lubaf Meow.

In more a realistic world then DC, the Military might be a valid response to the problems posed by Supervillains... but it'd almost certainly require a completely new kind of military organization.

The military has special forces already, and pouring more money into that isn't going to get you better operatives quickly. You need specialized R&D to counter the multifacited problem of supervillains. And then you have the problems that militaries generally make shitty police forces, and a lot of supervillain action is going to be taking place in cities, where militaries usually really don't like operating for very good reasons.

If Knight is only proposing increased military spending (and, this is important, the story as written sounds like that's what he was doing), he deserved to have his ass kicked. Again, supervillains are too multifaceted a problem to be amenable to a one-size-fits-all solution.

In other words, Vaermina is once again reading a different story then the rest of us, but that being said, he has a valid point for that imaginary story.

Thanks
    Luc "Arguing Past Each Other" French

LaVa, Drode, Prince Charon and 9 others like this.
  13. Queshire

So..... you're saying that we need Xcom. Right. Gotcha.

14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Or the zero-teams from Mandated. You don't have to worry about not getting your soldiers back if you don't want them back.

15. Queshire

Well now, taking that attitude in Long War sounds like a real good way to wind up with the Earth taken over by aliens.

Bramble Thorn and Sceptic like this.
  16. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Hmm. If I'm recalling correctly, in the Paul timeline Magni ended up with Nyssa. For the Grayven timeline, could this be the start of Magni x Sunset?

Let's ship it.

Also, on the military thing . . . I mean, sure, for the supervillains that are bulletproof, ten assault rifles are going to be just as ineffective as one assault rifle. But a lot of supervillains are perfectly vulnerable to bullets, and throwing more guns at them makes it that much easier for at least a couple bullets to find them.

17. Lubaf

Lubaf Meow.

Again, supervillains are multifaceted problem, and guns are a one-dimensional solution. While non-bulletproof supervillains are more common then bulletproof ones, they're also more likely to avoid the kind of confrontation that allows you to straight up shoot them.

More or less, yes. That might be an interesting twist on the X-Com formula, come to think of it.

Thanks
    Luc "S-Com: Supervillain Unknown" French

Drode, Bramble Thorn and Vorian like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

One sniper can kill a non-bulletproof supervillain.

One platoon of riflemen can kill a non-bulletproof supervillain and wreck the rest of the town he was standing in.

Prince Charon, lywrin, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  19. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

Just to note, on Earth-16 the military developed X-ionized blades, which are apparently mass-producible and performs well against pretty much everything OL's tried it against. He seems to have forgotten he has them lately, but I remember him cutting through various starship hulls and superpowered aliens with them.

So the military R&D isn't completely useless.

20. Mr Zoat

He used them against the mutant gnomes in the previous episode.

They were created using technology taken from an alien ship. While the SI can replicate it easily enough, it's massively expensive to reproduce using Earth technology.

21. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Hm. I wonder if introducing person who felt they were HELD BACK to a person who felt they were NOT GOOD ENOUGH is useful. Better than introducing an exactly similar person, I guess. Hugbox bubbles are not that healthy.

Drode and RichardWhereat like this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Being Bulletproof is a sliding scale Mr Zoat.

As are Sniper Rifles.

DAT_NOOB and Navi-Hank like this.
  23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Name a partially bulletproof person in DC. It’s usually all or nothing. Sniper Rifles - which the military already has - and therefore just needs consistent, not increasing funding, work against things like bulletproof glass, but bulletproof villains are still bulletproof to the point they don’t work. They don’t NEED significantly increased funding to deal with supervillains. Doesn’t mean it won’t be useful. Crucially, Horne isn’t advocating decreasing funding - he’s not anti-military, he’s just against expanding funding when an already well-funded military isn’t showing results.

Though, if there wasn’t a war in Vietnam/ Iraq, it might not actually be that well funded.

We’re not actually talking about having 10 guns in the entire military. We’re talking about increasing military funding not doing much if it’s not run well enough - the US spends $617 billion yearly on military expenses, with an extra $99 billion in case of war. Spending an extra $100 billion isn’t gonna make much of a difference when dealing with supervillains, and the US can’t afford to pay themilitary even twice as much as it already is.

The problem is that this is the DC military., not the actual US military - It’s not well thought out, and they don’t find super geniuses to come up with their tech. Instead their tech is modern tech, and they don’t find Ex-criminals, like the actual US does/ did. (E.G. Werhner von Braun).

They’re at the point where they could pay Mr. Freeze / Captain Cold billions to come up with affordable freeze guns, and still save money compared to what they spend now to come up with the same tech. That would probably stop them stealing, let them live in luxury, and deal with whatever issues they have (e.g. saving Nora Fries). Mr Freeze would be so much easier to control if you have him millions of dollars of funding to save Nora and any resources he needed.

Same thing with Zeta tubes. You want teleportation? Fund whoever that tech belongs to to find ways to make it affordable, and suddenly you’ve just got the ability to drop bombs into the middle of whatever buildings your enemy leaders live in. Even if it takes too long to set up, you could airdrop a zeta tube, and then have any amount of shock troopers step out.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Drode, Gantradies, Chaoswind and 7 others like this.
  24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Aquaman.

Drode and Vorian like this.
  25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Alien ship? So no Silver Shield in this fic then, since he's the "alien ship" in question.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Wait, really? Sure his powers change a lot between authors, but I thought he was mostly human in most versions.

27. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

A human who can go diving at depths that would crush a normal submarine.

28. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

And the Flash would break the bones in his foot after a single step, but he doesent have any increased durability.

29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Earth 16 humans are more durable than Earth Prime humans just at baseline. Even civilians can survive impacts that would shatter the ribs of a real-world human.

Prince Charon likes this.
  30. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Normal humans can go diving at those depths, more or less.

The inconvenient thing about submarines is that they have to keep the inside at a much lower pressure than the outside. But humans diving in water can't, and don't. Instead, we just compress so all our blood and tissues and such are at the same immense pressure as the surrounding water. You'd think that means we'd be crushed into a pulp, but as it turns out we're mostly water and other liquids, and water essentially doesn't change volume under pressure.

There's... more complex issues. Breathing gasses can get a bit weird; something something, absorption, 95% hydrogen air mixes, etc. If you had gills you'd be fineish. If you want to go REALLY deep, the pressure down there starts to interfere with a lot of the enzymes in our bodies, among other things. Solutions exist, but would require genetic modification or magic.

Overall, I'd say a baseline-resilience human with some magic and/or a biomancy-modified body could survive fine even at extreme depths. And Atlantians have both.