1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Gee, shame I don't see Brahma mentioned anywhere there.

Come on, come on, can you really say that Kalpa and Brahma years aren't the sort of thing that'd go on in a comic book? Ha!

Anyways, that was just an excuse to share a little bit of neat trivia anyways, so............

2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

They didnt mention the rainbow serpen3who created the universe either, but they mentioned gods of earth, which Brahmah is. Or are we to just take the real world assertions of their followers as fact here? Because it seems like that's what you're doing.

Senevri likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

John joined the marines to get his college course funded. I imagine that architects are a little more flexible than career marines.

4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I fail to see why you think it's funny that I point out a matter-manipulation effect that could contradict your claim that it was green because lantern ring.

its Lanterns

5. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Unless it’s a British spelling I didn’t know about, that should be “confirmation”.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  6. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

On that I wouldn't know. I've dated a marine, but not an architect.

Of course he did shut his office down, and does channel the green light....which historically tends to lead it's users to a certain level of bullheadedness.

infinityDivided likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  8. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Only if you believe their PR.
    There are many ways to resolve certain contradictions, such as gods having many names, or subjective realities, but DC actually has a pretty rigid structure - potentially more so than our reality.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  9. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hey, all I said was that they have always been called the "Most powerful weapon in the universe."

Then I was asked for a panel of a Guardian saying it. I gave it, and others, but to my complete non-surprise, the goalpost was instantly moved.

Beyond that, a Power ring can do god damn anything the writer wants it to do.

10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

No no, we've got an even more rigid structure.

11. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

24th January
    03:39 GMT -8

"One of the Controllers took a human with weak telekinetic abilities, enhanced them to near-Lantern levels and now wants them to generate data on their combat effectiveness. By killing his way through this Sector's pirate groups." John looks fairly impassive at the news. "Unfortunately, he's had basically no training and doesn't appear to really understand the complexity of the task."

"Does he work for you?"

"No. He's not an Orange Lantern. He also doesn't work for the Darkstars or LEGION, where I could make a metaphorical call and get him new orders. The only person he regards as having authority over him is the Controller who gave him his powers."

John turns to Hinon. "Can you give him orders?"

"Since I didn't build him and I don't have any formal agreement with his master, no."

"
    Why.. are you here?"

"Hal put a redirect on the police chief's phone just in case any of his old enemies came here looking for him. And the League takes anything orange very seriously." He frowns. "Hey, weren't you supposed to be keeping watch on that Xor guy?"

"He's looking after some suspected pirates." I hold out my left hand. "Illustres to Lantern Xor."

A few moments pass, then a construct image of Lantern Xor appears.

"Illustres."

"
    The man I fought is calling himself 'Effigy'. He is obeying one of the Controllers, though he isn't a formal part of our organisation. He believes that the people you rescued are affiliated with pirates."

"Should I kill them?"

"
    Not unless they attack you with enough force to threaten you, or if you discover good evidence that they are murderers. Otherwise-. Were they Ungarans?"

"Yes."

"
    Go to Ungara and raise the matter with their police. Ungara's judicial system is a fair one. Oh, and once you hand them off, bring the ship there as well. They'll want to examine it."

"And if 'Effigy' attacks me or those I hold?"

"
    If that happens, notify me at the earliest opportunity. But nothing changes. Protect yourself and your charges as you think best. I would rather he be taken alive, but don't risk yourself or them to do it."

He beats his fists against his chest. "I obey."

"
    Thank-" The image disappears. "-you."

John nods. "Okay, but what about the rest?"

"I have to admit, I've focused my efforts on local and galactic issues. I don’t know much about this Sector. How big a problem is piracy?"

He shakes his head. "Not much. Long-distance shipping never really picked up after Devlos Ungol was defeated."

"Wasn't that… A hundred and fifty years ago?"

"He was a mass-murderer whose fleet devastated entire planetary populations. Plenty of species still haven't recovered. And those that still have starships use them for trading locally, with their own colonies and outposts."

"Those that.. still have? How do you forget how to build starships?"

"Devlos controlled worlds by bombarding them from orbit. They didn't forget, they just lost the industry they needed. And once he left, they were more concerned about things like food and shelter. Civilian infrastructure. Ships weren't a priority."

"And… Pirates? I know that the Black Circle are the largest unified group, but where did they come from?"

He shrugs. "Some of them are ships from planets that couldn't support them any more. Most of them used to be part of Devlos's fleet. Abin Sur and Starkaðr got most of them, but a Space Sector has a lot of room to hide in."

"You and Jordan never took a crack at them?"

"Sure, when we actually knew where they were. But we never had time to just take a few years away from our other work and hunt them all down." He gives me an appraising look. "You think you can do better?"

"I think I don't want Mister van Wyck making a mess of things. He doesn't look particularly human but I'm sure by this stage 'humanoid in weird costume' makes everyone think 'human'."

"Actually, I don't think most places in the Sector know we exist." He glances at the sky again, though Mr van Wyck has long since vanished. "What can that 'Effigy' guy do?"

"Did you read our report on the Burning Martian?" He nods. "Mister van Wyck can make constructs out of-."

"No, though I can see why you would think that."
    Hinon is looking at a construct image of him, her eyes narrowing as she studies it. "They aren't constructs. They appear to be made of telekinetically-excited skin. Or something like it. I would guess that Jevek created chimeric tissue -part human and part martian- and tied it into his molecular destabilisation effect. He's controlling it through telekinesis rather than emotional intent. He should have a finite volume of it, though of course he won't need to recharge from a personal lantern."

"
    So he probably can't do complex devices that actually work, has no AI support and…" I frown. "Are Maltusians telepathic?"

"Not in the classical sense, though most of us can rearrange the matter of someone's brain precisely enough to introduce new thoughts. Why?"

"
    I didn't see a computer in his costume. I doubt that he's flying around without some sort of map…"

"Neural program. Given how his brain was shapeshifting I'm sure it will take. I don't know how good his recall will be for new data, but I doubt that Jevek would be so incompetent as to set him loose with no direction but the starlight."

I nod. "So we don't know what else Jevek gave him, knowledge wise, but he could be anywhere from completely ignorant of our abilities to fully briefed. His faster than light travel is slower than mine, though… I don't know how fast you are."

"Is he telepathic?"

I shrug. "Not that I noticed. Which is a nuisance, because I can disrupt telepathy. I haven't studied telekinesis in the same detail."

"It's still a pain in the ass. You going after him?"

"No. I think it would be a better use of my time to go after the pirates, given that he is merely misguided while the pirates are thieves and murderers. You?"

"It's the middle of the night for me. If you're not about to start a war then I'm going back to bed."

"Tomorrow? You know the Sector better than me, and I imagine that a Green Lantern will get a good deal more cooperation than I will."

He glances at Hinon, who waves her right hand. "It would be awkward for me to directly oppose another Controller. In actual fact I'm about ready to head back to Maltus. I need to find out what else Jevek has been doing with himself."

"Alright." John nods. "Midday. I'll meet you in the Mountain."

"I'll look forward to working with you."

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  12. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

But Paul did study telekinesis! Or at least has people who did so:
    1) Thinking Cup is a telekinesis machine. I expect at least some study to have been done into how it works
    2) There are psionic telekinesis amplifiers in GL database of technology Paul has access to. He even made Megan martian-adapted psionic amplifiers for her telekinesis. I would expect that such weapons have counters in the same database.

13. Prosecutor-0

Prosecutor-0 Getting out there.

Typo here, should be "once".

Mr Zoat likes this.
  14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yay! Space adventures with Arrogance Lantern! I mean, Green Lantern! Yay!

15. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't think the bolded lines are supposed to be Controller-speech Orange, given that it's Paul's words and narration.

Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  16. timeForced

timeForced Getting some practice in, huh?

John's pretty reasonable.

Cherico likes this.
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sensible...

Logical orders. Defend yourself and your charges, and at least try not to kill your attacker. Nice to see he's got a handle on Xor's sense of honour.

By being blasted into a pre-industrial age. Remember Tamaran?

"Devlos controlled worlds by bombarding them from orbit.

And once he left, they were more concerned...
    (Prosecutor-0 caught this one first)

Most of them used to be part of Devlos's fleet.
    (Tricky name to keep straight)

Could be a good team-building mission for some OLC Recruits in future.

Miscolored text. Should be uncolored.
    (B.B Rain posted first on this.)

...Ew. Nasty.

Miscolored orange. should be uncoloured?
    (again, B.B. Rain got in first.)

Ah, that would be the 'mind-control' power mentioned in the arguments earlier.

Yes, I'm sure dumping data straight onto his brain will be conducive to long-term stability.

Hrrrm. And what happens when he goes looking for pirates only to find OL got there first? Another Kill-stealing tantrum?

And the unspoken followup: "And how badly he's screwed it up this time."

Well, a roadtrip ahead. Jolly Cooperation for all!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Weird. It was correct on my copy.
    Thank you, corrected.

19. Scrumptious Egoi

Scrumptious Egoi Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I dunno if that can compare with a guy whose oath basically says he owns everything.

20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Only what he can see...but with the magic of snek that's not that big a limitation.

21. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I always enjoy Paul working with other Lanterns and exploring local sector has long been overdue.

Ardy, Vorian and Prince Charon like this.
  22. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Found a typo: this follow-up conversation happened on screen. Surely that must be a mistake.

I'm kidding, of course. I'm pleasantly surprised we actually got to see it.

True Ninja and Prince Charon like this.
  23. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Well, on a macroscopic level. AFAIK, our universe hasn't crisised. Not that I'd know if it had.

OTOH, we seem to exist in a subjective reality where you cannot separate between a memory glitch and hopping to a near-identical parallel, in which everything is made out of nothing and maybes.

Vorian and Prince Charon like this.
  24. Sad Machine

Sad Machine Unshackled Unclaimed

Wait isnt Hinon dating Alan?

Ardy likes this.
  25. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not unless she wants to fight Wonder Woman

Vorian and RichardWhereat like this.
  26. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Reasonable people talking things out instead of going fisticuffs, yesssss...!

Prince Charon likes this.
  27. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I think it's probably best to take a timey whimey view of the Godwave.

The Godwave is the source for all superhuman powers in DC except those with extradimensional origins, which would include the Guardians of the Universe, who have been around for 10 billion years or so.

It's also supposedly the source of the Glow, which likewise the Guardians have been manipulating for billions of years, even before the Brightest Day revelations, and the Quantum Field, which is essentially the backspace pass to reality, the level of subatomic particles, which logically means the Quantum Field would be older than the universe as we know it.

So the only way to make it make sense I can figure without just ignoring the whole Godwave thing, is to assume that the Godwave created things retroactively.

So the Old Gods attacked the Source which created the Godwave which in turn created the universe and all life within it which then created the Old Gods which then created the Godwave, etc.

If one prefers the doylist explanation that all the booze and drugs DC pays its writers in caused them to forget the Godwave, well that works too. :)

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It seems a bit more likely that the people who claimed it were just wrong about the Godwave creating the various energy fields.

29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That is a possibility, but Green Lanterns, Captain Atom, and the Flash were all affected by the Godwave in Genesis. And everyone affected by Godwave was supposed to be affected because the Godwave was the source of their abilities.

Although it also affected Starman's Cosmic Staff, which was an odd choice, because it's supposed to be powered by perfectly normal stellar radiation.

And as a Source Elemental, Takion was shown able to manipulate the Speed Force, the Glow, and Quantum Field when Flash, GL, and Captain Atom confronted him in his limited series.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Isn’t canon that the Flash (Barry Allen) generates the speed force?