1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Well yeah. Where else would it go to binge watch GoT?

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

A parallel universe where they let Mr Martin finish writing the books before trying to adapt them, so that the series didn't jump the shark-warg.

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

No, light is neither a particle or a wave, and it is what it is all the time. The laws of physics aren't contradictory at different scales, either. Your confusion arises from poor pop-science communication and an attempt to fit it onto an imperfect metaphor.

A photon is an excitation of the electromagnetic field. Given that as its nature, its behavior is sort of like what the layperson understands a particle to act like, and sort of like what the layperson understands a wave to act like. But as a (slightly) better metaphor (that's still very imperfect) it might be better to imagine a surfer riding on a wave. Such a thing could interact with other waves (including reflections of itself off of barriers) as well as other surfers.

Gravity isn't contradictory on the micro scale, either. Obviously gravity doesn't REALLY blow up to infinity in the middle of every proton, so that means our model isn't quite right. The simplest solution to the dilemma is just to say that elementary particles (such as quarks) aren't actually point particles, but rather that they span some definite amount of space. That way you can never reach a distance of zero from a massive object and therefore the inverse square law never blows up to infinity. Conveniently, this is exactly how string theory describes elementary particles.

It's true that our current mathematical models don't have a good description of EXACTLY what happens there, but that's primarily because it's still an area of research.

Its own future

4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

And yet, none of them simply say "we are trying to build up earth's defences, what do you people think?" The way they are doing it now, people still don't get a vote, it's just a different group of elites.

5. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Lex is building the ships in public. People most certainly are giving feedback, and they can vote to have their governments support him or oppose him. Or they can boycott LexPower and remove the mechanism he is using to fund it.

6. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The only beverage cup I ever use weighs five pounds, and it's made of solid metal. I've tried tons of others; cheap glass ones, plastic water jogging bottles, fine porcelain dinnerware... But out of all of these, my giant, impractical, ridiculously heavy cup is the only cup I've ever found that lasts.

Hmm, wait. Maybe I should just stop putting molten lava in them... but it's so good for warming coffee!

nobodez likes this.
  7. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Outside the metaphor, the lava is human nature, so we're understandably reluctant to stop pouring it in.

8. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

So what you're saying is the secret ingredient is mind control.

Buggy123 and Ardy like this.
  9. Narutosramen

Narutosramen Getting sticky.

I mean, that wasn't the full quote, and this isn't either, but you lost the meaning behind the quote when you cut it there. This is for context.

"Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…" Winston Churchill

Ninjaed

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s lava, so probably brain bleach.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That and or kill Aquaman.

Given what Fatherbox did to him I rather doubt Renegade reads as human so far as any realistic scientific measurement is concerned.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Buggy123

Ah, the age old question; "should we stay true to our nature, to our humanity, or change?".

It's a good question, and also gets kinda complicated because of how hard it is to distinguish between X-anity and stuff that, well, isn't.

But I'm adamant that with the right people in it, you could probably make just about any political system work well enough. Winston's quote isn't wrong, but I disagree with it because it places the blame on the form of governance, when in reality the problem is us. Democracy just happens to be the most corrosion-resistant form of government we've come across so far.

And relating back to the story, Grayven happens to have a plethora of political, economic, technological, and even specifically bioengineering resources at his disposal. And he wants to make human society stable and prosperous, and he's not shy about transhumanism. If there is anyone who can slowly guide the human race towards a better form of X-anity, it's him.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I never got what that meant exactly.
    Does it mean that even if it would cause you less than nothing to help me that you still wouldn't do it because meh?
    Or does it mean you won't help me because you want nothing to do with me because you hate me?

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The phrase as I understand it is the first, an expression of just not being capable of caring any less.

Prince Charon likes this.
  15. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Of course that's true, it's trivially true. In a society of perfect idealized angels where everyone's first and highest goal is flourishing for all people without selfishness or bias, anarchy, totalitarianism, and democracy all have precisely the same results. If everyone agrees, it doesn't matter who has the votes because every vote passes by consensus, and the consent of the governed is irrelevant because they all agree with the government by construction.

The question is whether mere mortals (who are somewhat altruistic, but only when they're comfortable themselves) can make a government work. And you'd need to pull out some awfully important core values of the human utility function to make people remotely resemble the philosopher's angels. Or make abundance so vast and effortless that everyone naturally becomes their best self. Neither is happening this side of a Singularity; not a chance.
    The guy who wrote the X-anity thing clearly knows no evolutionary or developmental psychology and probably no dev-bio or evo-bio either. We are monkeys. We will always be monkeys. Anything descended from us will be a supermonkey or Vile Offspring.

Your metaphor is garbage. We're not lava, we're just hot water. The various forms of democracy are different types of cup, monarchy is a plastic bag, and anarchy is a paper bag.

Drode, Simonbob and Bramble Thorn like this.
  16. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Neither are the mechanicus however they are still considered human enough by the Imperium at large. If you scanned either of them you'd get 'Some vaguely human-like DNA'

Edit: Unless I'm wrong on my 40k lore

17. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

Pretty sure that applies to... most every metahuman ever?

18. Buggy123

Finally, criticism. It's been ages since I've actually gotten to argue a point.

Well, yes. But I'd say that you don't need to go to quite that extreme of a point to get something relatively close. Having a society is rational, to put it simply. You can get nice things like a house, high quality food, the internet, etc, much more easily in a society than you possibly could in small groups/alone. If you have people who can decently and consistently put aside emotions and gut reactions and make rational decisions then you are already on a much better foot than anything in human history, even if you don't really change anything else.

Granted, that doesn't make it... simple. Democracy is still pretty good, other forms of governance have flaws beyond "people are stupid". And rational does not mean altruistic; if you put people in situations where the best choice is to do something negative for society at a large they'll still do it unless you mess about with a whole lot of other key X-anity things, and so you have to start designing the system to keep people from ending up in that sort of situation.

I'm not sure that altruism is a good thing. Trying to increasing altruism while leaving everything else intact will get you something like... a Mother Teresa hack. You get a society where, sure, everyone is trying to help others... who primarily want to help others, and don't want much of anything for themselves. And altruism can lead to helping people back on their feet... or carrying them until they forget how to walk. It's a balancing act, and it's a delicate one; I'm not convinced it's stable, and I'm not convinced we can't do better.

Part of the reason I linked that website, criticism aside for the moment, is that it presents one of the few models of people/society that I think would actually work decently, provided you're already tinkering with all the important bits of our utility function. And as I see it, humanity has to change. Significantly. Our best hope without changing a whole lot is probably something along the lines of The Culture, where we become the glorified pets of another group that actually has their shit together. It just goes downhill from there.

So looking around for viable alternatives is a really good idea, and as a example, and to respond to your criticism about how this race could possibly develop, I provide the Eldrae:

So you're a sufficiently-advanced alien, and you're working on a brand new artificial planet. You've got the ecology fleshed, you finally smoothed out all the problems that the disc-shape caused, and now you want to put something a bit... smarter on it. And hey, while you're at it, why not make some servants at the same time?

So you fish about for viable species, and come across some carbon-based bipeds that you think will probably develop a society eventually. You take a couple, and start fixing up their biology; you get rid of that inconveniently short lifespan, add in optimizations all around, hybridize them with the main strain of life you used for rest of the planet... Looks good, now for the brain- ugh.

Okay, well... take most of this out, they're servants and decorations, not animals trying to compete in the wilderness. Nudge things around a bit so they think on a more suitable timescale... that hyperbolic discounting definitely has to go. Just improve things all around with memory, intelligence, problem solving, get rid of that choice fatigue... maybe make them a bit manic, a bit more eager for change. There, that looks good.

Now just set them down and... did that other being just start encroaching on my solar system? Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to wipe it out-

One extinct sufficiently-advanced alien race and thousands of years later, and you have a unique sort of humanity-descendant which has had all of the monkeyness left far behind. The details are... complicated. But the essence of it is that you end up with a race that isn't completely alien, mentally or culturally, but is still vastly changed. And, the point I argue is: improved.

I'm not a multi-phd expert on sociology, biology, and psychology, I don't know for sure if this fictional society would actually work, or if the people in it are actually as plausible as they seem. I do think, however, that if it does and is, then it is pretty much universally better. I provide it as a example of a at least half-decently thought out example of a alien race (even if the author is not a expert in all fields), that I would point to and say "we should just do that." It's not the only one, of course; I think Greg Egan has some great examples of viable transhumans which are more human-like than them.

To put it simply, you think humanity, the utility function of humans, needs to be preserved, and we have to find the best way to work around it. I think humanity needs to be ripped out and thrown in the garbage, and we should be shopping around to find a good, stable alternative, that is still at least vaguely similar and produces similar results. Because what we have now sucks, and it shows.

My metaphors are kinda hit and miss, this I admit freely.

(Sorry for the sorta-rambly and disjointed post, this is a complicated topic and I find it difficult to write half-decently, respond to all points presented, keep it concise, etc all at the same time)

19. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

They'd have to put different people in charge of it to do that.

Anarchy isn't even a paper bag, it's a pair of shaky hands at best, and no container at all, realistically.

This is a weird discussion.

20. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

24th February 2012
    22:26 GMT +7

I set the mug of coffee down on the low table between us. Mr Hyde looks at it for a moment, then his eyes come back to me.

"Not drinking anything yourself?"

"Worried about poison, Mr Hyde?" I retake my seat opposite him. "If I wanted to kill you, I assure you, I wouldn't bother with that."

He picks up the mug and takes a sniff. "No, that was just a social enquiry. Since this appears to be an informal meeting."

Fair enough. I shrug. "I don't drink coffee. I don't like the taste. Fruit juice, milk, squash… It always feels a bit weird, drinking things like that with supervillains, but at home I like to set a good example for my children."

"You run a dry house?"

"I cook with wine or beer sometimes, but I don't.. drink. And those amongst my retainers who do have clear instructions to avoid doing so around my children." He takes a small sip while maintaining careful eye contact, then sets the mug back down on the table. I make a sort of opening flower gesture with my hands. "So. Any ideas yet? I appreciate that it's a lot to take in."

"I want to join the Light. I appreciate that you'll want greater signs of commitment from me, to test that I've got what it takes-." I exhale slightly too sharply. "What is it this time?"

"Why?"

"Why.. join? Because the guy at the top gets the biggest payout. You told me that the Light's interests are so broad that some third world shit heap being corrupt cuts into your profits. That level of international power is something I want to work towards."

"I.. fear that you've got the wrong end of the stick, Mister Hyde. While.. some members of the Light benefit financially from their membership, it isn't.. actually by all that much. Personally, for example, I'm out of pocket. Only.. one of our members has profited substantially, and all we did there was ease the way for a product that was already excellent."

"Then what are you doing?"

"Hm." I sit back slightly. "Where do you see your descendants being in five hundred years' time?"

A slight twist on the classic interview question, but one which throws him slightly. Not that he shows it much. "Because if I don't take the human race's future into my hands…"

I'm already shaking my head.

"Put it this way: will they have the slightest idea who David Hyde was? And do you care?"

"You're trying to get your name into the history books?"

I shrug. "My species… Well, the Elite of my species, live indefinitely. In five hundred years, I fully expect I'll be around to see the results of our actions. We're investing in human civilisation, and what we get from that isn't necessarily money." I wave my right hand expansively. "If I were to give you… Say… Ten billion dollars. What would you do with it?"

"Build my own base. Upgrade my sub. Make enough legitimate investments that I could conceal my income."

"I'm not hearing anything you couldn't do with fifty million there, but alright. Keep doing the same thing you're doing now, but with more in the bank? A man who invests wisely can live his entire life on considerably less than fifty million. You could buy a new face, a new ID, go somewhere where they don't care about certain shipping-related criminal acts that may have occurred in your past. You could do… Anything."

"Alright then. What should I want to do?"

"There's nothing wrong with wanting that. Work for us, and if you want a base, we can make that happen. Better weapons and equipment? Since we're now having a face-to-face relationship, there is no reason for us not to make certain exotic pieces of technology available to you. Concealed income? Please." I lean forward. "But if you want to join the Light, anything. Not nothing. People join the Light because they want something money can't buy. Renown. Acclaim. Political and social influence. A place in the history books. To ensure a particular vision of the future of mankind. Out of a sense of responsibility. Just for fun, even. Being a member of the Light gives you a chance to make things happen. But it isn't cheap. I'm not threatening to blackball you, Mister Hyde. But if there isn't anything in those categories that you actually want, you might be better off where you are now."

He nods, sitting back and taking another sip of his coffee as he mulls it over.

"You knew what I was going to ask."

He says it as a statement, but I nod anyway. "Not for certain, but it was one of the likely lines of enquiry."

"And if you knew I was going to ask, you've got offers prepared."

I shrug. "My knowledge of you is far from perfect. But… Just as I have devices in an isolated warehouse I could show you if you requested technology, I have a… Few suggestions, if you're looking for something of greater personal value."

He makes eye contact again. "Tell me."

"I understand that you have a son."

He doesn't flinch, but he does go rather still.

"My children are adopted." I shake my head. "I never met their natural parents, and as I understand it they did the best job they could. Your ex-paramour and.. cabin boy, on the other hand-."

"I'm not sure he's even mine."

"Ah! Then congratulations." I hold out my right hand, transmute a blue ribbon banded cigar into being and pass it to him. "It's a boy."

"You're sure?"

"Ring-scan DNA check. Not.. one hundred percent reliable, but certainly more reliable than, say, human blood tests."

"I haven't even met him." I smi-. "What? You can make that happen? Make eighteen years of me not being there just disappear? My father had me leading strike teams at his age."

"He's been leading a team of superheroes as an Atlantean military officer. His skills aren't in question." I lean back. "It's tricky, isn't it? Forming personal relationships when your face is so well known? As a criminal? Not just.. hiring a prostitute or whatever when the urge arises, but forming a bond with someone of worth? Someone whom you wouldn't mind being the mother of your heir?"

"If you're got a proposal to make, make it."

"I can get you a pardon for those crimes you and yours have committed against Atlantis. Not without conditions, but nothing that would disrupt the work you're doing for the Light. I can get you a meeting with Kaldur'ahm. I can't build a relationship for you, but I've found that building a relationship with one's offspring is rewarding in itself. And… Once you're no longer being hunted with quite the intensity you are now… Certain things become possible that are now… Difficult."

He raises his eyebrows. "You trying to play matchmaker?"

"I know a lot of people… Have contacts in places where you don't. I suspect that a corporate mixer of Light contractors would be a lively gathering, but I'd be happy to make introductions. Or not, as you see fit. But you're not getting any younger, and I imagine that you'd want to be more involved in the early life of your second child than you were in that of your first. And have their mother be a little more understanding about the nature of your business."

He stares at me, perhaps trying to decide whether he'd live if he lunged across the room at me.

Then he looks aside, chuckling quietly. "Oh, you're good."

"No. Not 'good'. Never 'good'. After all, I'm only human."

He frowns faintly. Oh, right.

"Metaphorically speaking."

"So how's this going to work?"

"I don't believe that you have any outstanding operations at the moment. Is that correct?" He nods. "Then it's time to put on a grey hat. Head to the east coast of Africa. Find someone… Illegally dumping toxic waste. Seize the ship and fully record everything they were doing. I will arrange to have the crew picked up and arrested."

"Am I doing this pro bono?"

"Of course not. I'm paying you. Our aim here is to portray you as what you are: a capable mercenary, whose crimes mostly involved being on the unpopular side of civil disputes. Meanwhile, I will be boning up on Atlantean legal precedence and arranging an appointment with King Orin."

"You really think he'll pardon me?"

I shrug nonchalantly. "We'll see."

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  21. Athrawe

Athrawe Getting out there.

Grayven the wholesome matchmaking supervillan

22. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Maybe not Orin... or, at least, not without good incentive.

However, if that incentive involves rebuilding positive relations with Queen Clea and her city-state...

Heh, I enjoy the fact that this is all weirdly wrapping back around to canon, what with Manta and Kaldur ending up working together.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

'Interests', I think? And we see what Manta really wants.

That'll make anyone think for a minute.

Oh, that's just a bonus, dear fellow.

...He just doesn't get it, does he? Small time.

Now we're talking! Use your head, Manta.

...Few suggestions, if you're looking for something of greater personal value."

Panic mode imminent. I can just picture him making the slightest eye-twitch.

Hook, line and...

Interesting. He wants something.

And hope no long-underwear types take exception to your actions, and are stupid enough not to trust your word.

Oh, my. Turning another long-time villain away from the black-hat life. Grayven's got a lot of catching up to do if he wants to beat OL's record.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  24. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Well it's not like this is the first time he's done it...

25. Buggy123

I don't remember very well, at this point in canon what has Black Manta actually done, crime-wise? There's something with Atlantis, but other than that he's just a actual mercenary, not a villain?

Ardy, Wheenesss and DAT_NOOB like this.
  26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You know YJ Kaldur is a bit luckier than his comics counterpart.

YJ Black Manta actually cares about him, has redeeming qualities.

Comics Kaldur, his father only sees him as a tool to get a magic item, and well he killed an infant, so not much there in redeeming qualities.

He altered his henchmen to become waterbreathers to infiltrate Atlantis.

As for his crimes, he works for the Light, so I imagine he did whatever they wanted him to do.

But the stuff shown was attacking Atlantis to steal that Starro for the Light, a plan that involved blowing things up as a distraction.

Drode, Bramble Thorn, nobodez and 6 others like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

I caught that crisis on two earths line.

erebus1994 likes this.
  29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Having recently seen Marvel’s Runaways on Hulu, have to wonder what those kids would be like if they grew up knowing and accepting that their parents were into shady stuff (for those who don’t know the show, it’s about a group of kids whose rich and famous parents are actually supervillains). Like if they were actually indoctrinated and didn’t somehow pick up morality from somewhere. That seems similar to what Grayven wants to do here - have his subordinates in the Light get families who would actually accept the work they are doing, and be able to carry their parents’ legacies, instead of just being millennials.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  30. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

I was wondering if he would make that kind of slip-up in the last update.