1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

There is the fact that the invaders in this case have cause to be here and threaten earth due to Gravyen harbouring several members of their race that didn't exactly go through customs. Hope he filed asylum / refugee papers when they arrived, Like Paul did for Xor.

Maxima and her consort are on American soil, (unless Gravyen's mountain has been given Embassy status by Horn and his government at some point). So they've entered the nation illegally. While America doesn't have an extradition agreement (nor any formal ties) with their planet/nation, nor would they be likely to recognize an attempted political assassination fleet as representatives of such, pretty sure they'd have something to say about having their nation (oh and the rest of the planet) stuck in the middle of an interstellar civil war by proxy.

Gravyen better have a nice gift for General Lane when the smoke clears, or he's going to lose a lot of political good will with this stunt.

Gantradies, Ardy and Gilhelmi like this.
  2. Bomaz

Bomaz Know what you're doing yet?

But but but that's the finale and expected best part of the episode

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

As if physics actually apply in the DC multiverses.

In JLA: Scary Monsters they had to deal with invading entities from a universe of 0K. "Demons" who were nuclear based lifeforms like Mr Atom 1.

Nasty buggers. "Evolved" like Doomsday and were infectious, Wonder Woman and Superman were being hellformed into new recruits.

Fortunately they ran into a firefighter who was an untrained shaman whose lineage had been guarding that particular Hellmouth for millennia.

Kishana Lewis was a love interest of Martian Manhunter's, but her being a shaman whose patron was Fire- The Fire of Life that Warms the Sun and the Earth and the Fire of Creation that birthed the Universe, well that made things a little awkward considering MM's fire phobia.

Considering the author was of X-Men fame, basically Kishana was a shaman of the Phoenix- the fiery symbol of the unending life to death to life cycle.

boo600, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It has been demonstrated here that freeze raying an apple just makes it freeze and shatter when hit. That sounds more like all the water inside turned to ice than anything else. I think the whole reduce to 0K thing is an exaggeration. Most likely just reduces the entire object it hits to 0C and skips the extra energy it takes to change from one state to another. So all water inside immediately freezes, but no other weird physics happen. Or it may get just change the phase of something so that it automatically becomes solid but doesn’t actually lose much temperature / energy. A “hold still why don’t you” gun.

5. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I'm pretty sure that the epic boss battle with Mr. Atom was the finale and expected best part of the episode.

6. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

i think the PRC does, but there's... issues with it killing/eating pilots, from memory- and it's training intensive/ maybe needs interface implants on top of training that'd just be a wasted investment after 1-2 sorties (memory is vague) - id honestly say it barely counts as a warship unless there's a fix for the crew-fatality problem (unless im being stupid and getting my alien fighter craft/starships confused again?) its..well, despite how advanced it might be, a borderline-useless technological dead-end-
    in a actual prolonged open conflict, it'd be imperial japan's "keep the aces at the front till they're all fed into the grinder at all costs" blunder all over again (comparatively, in the pacific, the US was fairly regularly rotating them back to the mainland to de-stress/help pass on practical knowledge to the trainees)- would bleed competent/trained personnel left and right-a was a little surprised they were still playing around with it at all in the present after discovering that flaw- trained, ideologically loyal space-rated personnel don't come cheap, no matter how ruthless you are about losses...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Jormuungaand and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Actually Lex in New 52 had a few victories, was the new Superman for a while, saved the World and almost became a God. While it sucked for most people, for Lex it was basically awesome.

Then Rebirth happened like five minutes later but.... eh victory is boring.

Read 'Superman: The Black Ring" and then we talk, okay?
    Now I demand for Lex Luthor to be replaced by Doctor Evil.

Edit: About the Black Ring, let's face it, a world or universe of eternal bliss would be fun at first then basically kill all life in the universe. Because if you are "happy" no matter what then what motivation you do have to do anything? Life is struggle, life is conflict, life is the pursuit of happiness. To be happy all the time would be the anathema of Life...

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

It is Anathema to the current forms of life.

Ardy likes this.
  9. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

NnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That universe ended like five minutes after Lex lost his powers so it would have been pointless anyway. And even if it didn't, you know who would have undone the change anyway.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Threadmarks: Bended (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

3rd March
    14:01 GMT

The holoscreen shows a picture of the fully recovered Mr Atom glowing brilliantly, while all around him Geiger counters drop off to near baseline levels of radioactivity. A jump in the recording, and then a video clip of Mr Atom walking around Ozyorsk with three children on his shoulders, the red object built into his chest plate glowing.

"In case you're wondering, that's why the Russian government was happy to let us use the Chelyabinsk Oblast as a staging area."

Superman nods, smiling. He looks a good deal less sunburned than he was yesterday. And a good deal less naked. I've got no idea how his underwear survived and I'm not going to check for some sort of 'censor physics'.

"Um." William raises his right hand. "Is that really Mister Atom?"

"Sort of. After you destroyed the central processor of the original, its remains were taken into custody by the Department of Energy. The Sivanas stole them, studied them and created a design based on them: Mister Atom 2, the giant robot version I saw on Venus. This Mister Atom is the restored original."

Red Tornado studies the image carefully.

"Another sibling of mine?"

"More of a cousin, but it's the same core technology. Only he uses radiation rather than the classical elements. Oh, and his chassis was built by the Sivanas so it's far more advanced. He did say that he wanted to meet you."

"I would like that as well."

William looks a little sceptical. "When I met him he kept going on about how he was going to rule the world. How exactly did you talk him down?"

"He was only a day old at the time. Artificial intelligences can have a mental sophistication that far outpaces their emotional maturity. He was basically doing the robot equivalent of shouting 'no' when someone tried to feed him vegetables."

"Oh."

William looks shamefaced. I raise my hands.

"But there's no way you could have known that, and he was still genuinely dangerous. And not sophisticated enough to listen when you tried to talk him down."

"I didn't.. try all that hard." He shrugs awkwardly. "Just 'stop', really."

"But you did this time, and that's what you're getting evaluated on."

I look around at the seated Justice League.

"So, quick summary. The 'mysteriously' revived Mister Atom, aided by Mirror Master and a large number of hirelings, committed a number of high tech thefts around the world. This was to enable him to upgrade himself, build robotic avatars with the powers he had and shield his minions against his powers. Ultimately, his plan was to attack the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository with General Lane's access codes and get enough high-grade nuclear material to make himself unbeatable."

"And thanks to you, he didn't even get close."

Jordan shrugs, only slightly sullenly. And he's been a good sport about wearing the 'Be nice to me, I died today' sticker. "All his help ran off."

Mr Queen put his sticker on while insisting that Ms Lance comply with its instruction. Mr Allen noted it and then ignored it, and it's still on the table in front of him. Ms Thal disintegrated it with a tap of her mace when she thought I wasn't watching.

"Because you and Flash pressured him into rushing the final stages. The wargame allowed for the villain side to make mistakes as well as the hero side; pressuring someone into making errors is a perfectly viable approach in real life as well. If I'd wanted to throw you up against a flawless opponent you'd have been fighting me."

Guy snorts.

"You took down Mister Atom, and apprehended a small number of metahuman mercenaries and a larger number of baseline human robbers." Images of the League's successes appear on the holographic display behind me. "With the Lanterns stabilising all the dust thrown up from Lake Karachay, there wasn't a horrible nuclear incident. General Lane was recovered alive and in one piece. Damage to the locations which the villain team attacked was generally minimised."

I shift that screen to the side.

"You didn't get Mirror Master, and the leader of the metahumans evaded capture along with an indeterminate number of his colleagues. There were quite a few deaths, as a result of their use of short-lived disease weapons and radiation attacks in addition to conventional attacks."

Major Adams points to one image.

"I don't remember us being called in to China."

"The Chinese government elected not to inform the League of the attack in the belief that they could handle it without external intervention. Technically, they were right, though the casualties they suffered would have made it a national tragedy."

If they would have allowed the news to spread. Sometimes, totalitarianism can be really useful.

"The League has good contact procedures in place, but they rely on the other party actually using them. The League has good reasons for not butting in whenever it feels like it, but sometimes that approach has adverse consequences. And, of course…"

Mug shots of Mr Queen, Mr Allen, Ms Thal and Lantern Jordan appear on the screen with red X's over them.

"Four League members died. Green Arrow, from a weaponised disease. Flash, from intense gamma radiation. Hawkwoman, from being repeatedly shot and Lantern Jordan from being shot once. I'm going to suggest that everyone have a look at their personal protective equipment and feed back to Batman, Aquaman or myself with their updated requirements."

Mr Allen glances at Mr Queen, who just nods. Clearly deducing that we've already had that conversation, Mr Allen looks my way.

"Have you got anything that would protect us against gamma radiation that strong?"

"Several things. Automatic emergency teleport recall, certain types of force field…" I shrug. "We'd need to test how they interact with your speed, though."

King Orin nods. "We should be able to produce wards against radiation. It's not something Atlantis has needed before now. We don't enrich radioactive materials ourselves, but Mera tells me they can make wards against just about anything now."

"This is especially important because a significant proportion of the Justice League doesn't have superhuman resilience. A lot of you weren't able to participate in the Lake Karachay fight at all because the radiation would have killed you."

Naturally, I checked everyone who went there over before they went home for the day. The attack which 'killed' Jordan was more simulated than anything, but I didn't like how some of the cells in his skin were behaving. Mr Freeman, Diana and William were fine, as was Major Adams when he reappeared a few hours later during the clean up. Bit of an awkward moment where he nearly attacked Mr Atom, but he realised that things had changed before he followed through on his initial impulse.

"Apart from that, I think the biggest takeaway is that there are plenty of sites storing exotic material you can't easily get to and.. and in some cases, don't officially know about. I've got a list-"

The list appears on the 'bad' screen.

"-of things which Mister Atom was able to acquire but not use, and if he'd gone for the long game things would have become quite unpleasant. But since the wargame is over, let's run through everything from the beginning."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  12. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

1. Wasn't there a fourth casualty prior to Jordan that pulled OL from his conversation with the Flash?
    2. What happened to Red Rocket Red?

13. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Mr Zoat said Paul was just referring to when he killed Nabu.

14. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hooray! We complained a chapter into existence!

Death stickers for all!

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Nice of Mr Atom to help with the clean up.

So this wargame was what? A solid B for the League? Mistakes were made but they still did well?

I'm still a bit surprised that this was such a straightforward plan though.

I expected Paul to be sneakier, more subversive in his attack.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, good, we do get the debrief. Thank you, Mr Zoat. And I see Mr Atom is making himself useful.

I shudder at the cost of the indestructible underoos...

With a fresh CPU and core program. I wonder how that works with AIs. Is he the original reborn or a third model? I suppose a look at his soul would decide...

Perhaps Reddy can get some ideas for chassis upgrades he'd like. A more human-like shell perhaps?

So it was a temper tantrum. One that could have irradiated huge swatches of Russia... More than it already was...

10 points for attempting diplomacy, -5 for execution.

True, probably good to encourage methods other than righteous face-punching.

So many weak points in the plan. I'm guessing he lacked the perspective of a five-year-old child to spot them.

Hahaha... Well, that's one way to get them to use their heads, rather than their fists.

Oh-ho, some hard feelings, I see.

Don't laugh, you may not have read his report on Earth -14, but I'm sure the others did take note of his takedown of the other League.

+5 points for each success...

-5 for each of these. So a net win, barring the team casualties.

Ah, China... Let's hope it doesn't take a real disaster to shake them out of that bad habit... Their super-functionaries can only do so much.

A fine balancing act is needed. Or getting more moderate super-functionaries involved in international work.

This isn't the first time he's had to point this out, people. Pay attention!

Yeah, a passive defence that trips every time he goes supersonic isn't going to be too useful.

Then again, how many of them would have been useful in that fight anyway? The mages could have stopped or slowed down Mr Atom, yes... But Pointy-Stick-Launcher-man? Man Dressed Like A Bat? yeah...

I'm guessing that happens a lot after his Leaps. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug...

Ah, the point-by-point breakdown. We don't need to see this, I think. Especially if it's going to be a powerpoint presentation...

Once again, the readers spoke, and Mr Zoat listened. And we thank you for it. Finding out just what the bad guy plan was makes the previous chapters make more sense...

Corrections:
    ...chassis was built by the Sivanas...

17. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Bwhahahahahahha!

Maybe consider "Naturally, I checked over everyone who went there before they went home for the day."?

18. Mr Zoat

Ah. No, sorry, I wrote that last weekend. When I said that I was going to skip it I meant I was going to skip the full, instance by instance evaluation.
    Thank you, corrected.

19. Sendral

Sendral Getting some practice in, huh?

For clarity, I'm relatively sure that Captain Marvel was referring to the first incarnation of Mr. Atom, whom he defeated; he's lamenting not communicating better against the original rather than the one from the day prior, and Paul is noting that said original was essentially throwing a tantrum and unreasonable.

20. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

I agree with your assessment.

21. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Ugg. I really really want to slap Paul for the Flawless Opponent remark. I kinda feel like most the time I end up wanting to root for whoever he is facing rather then the protagonist.

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Out of everyone here who's the only one that's actually died?

Oh, that's right, you Paul.

23. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I mean, Hubris is an insidious killer. But also, he has a point; OL has extensive data on the League, and a power ring. That's a losing battle for a lot of people, if he's playing for keeps and not doing something stupid.

Strictly in the sense of a wargame, he should be able to maintain an effectively near-perfect OpFor.

24. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

This might be modern politics, but it’s bipartisan, I just read it, and I wanted to share it with a bunch of other nerds. A bipartisan agreement for the 2020 national defense budget is splitting off a section of the US Air Force and creating the US Space Force.

25. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

This is relevant to this fic exactly how?

26. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I sort of suspect that everyone there wanted to smack him. I am a little surprised that Guy didn't.

Cuchulin, BBJimmy, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  27. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I was expecting Mr. Yao to speak here or for members of the league to look in his direction as he shakes his head (hinting at a follow up later)... Mr Zoat is like you forget to include some members of the League and the team at times, something that is odd because you do have a member list you can check for both the youth team and the league.

I know Mr Yao is taciturn and all that, but he is very underrepresented in your updates.

28. Maelgwyn

Maelgwyn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, wasn't Rocket Red stuck in a mirror last time we saw him? What happened with him?

DAT_NOOB and Navi-Hank like this.
  29. DiceArt

DiceArt Not too sore, are you?

He was probably released, and made to sit out the rest of the exercise as though he was still trapped in the mirror.

Prince Charon and Jormuungaand like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

"Guys?"

Mr McCulloch went back and let him out once the exercise was over.