1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

So the Paul/Jade multiversal kidnapping continues.

EDIT: Also, you seriously need to give your little side stories a coherent list somewhere.

2. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Change "expending' to "expanding".

Change "be" to "me".

3. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Should I be imagining an ACME magnet here?

4. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

At the end of last episode, Green Lantern Jade described it as "a vast tuning fork".

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Did he already kill the caveman, or is he still tracking him down?

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Have the League still not cut his hand off?

Even if it kills him, you already know how to revive him!

CTrees and moralrelativity like this.
  7. Grek

Grek (she/her)

Zoat, you tease!

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, he basically went through high school and college as Batman's sidekick, with no other heroes around. That would make a person dour and grumpy...

Ah, the beginning of the Unlimited Era DCAU episodes.

Dammit, I can't not hear Abridged!Alucard there. "Bitch, I Kill People!"

Remind me, is he wearing the mullet in this version?

"Not that I'd like to be dead. I'm not suicidal at all."

The old saw: "Some people just need killin'." If the quality of the human species would be improved by their death, there's no point avoiding it.

If only because most people can learn to change, given the right motivation...

Please, Dick. He's taken on League members with little trouble. You think you'd stand a chance, even with Batman's planning?

I doubt she'd ever go through with it, given the chance. Some people talk a big game...

"That's so very, very sad." Dude needs to date. Pity Starfire is only what, fifteen?

Admittedly, he can turn it down, but yes, bit hard to miss glowing green dude. And I doubt some of the stupider comic ideas, like Black-Ops lanterns who can lower the glow to almost non-existent, apply here.

Ah, yes, this Dick didn't part with Bats on good terms, did he... And no, I don't follow the 'bats slept with batgirl' thing...

Ah, he pulled the Sentry technique. Vandal's probably not enjoying his sunny vacation right now...

Good to see the Ring is still trying to bring him back in line. And failing.

Someone is about to have a bad day...

Ablative armour for the win. Bonus for being ablative armour you can instantly remake.

Well, quick and messy. Power rings don't mess about.

And the rockets and machine guns were a distraction for the ninja-wannabe. Great,

DCAU Cheshire. Well played, Mr Zoat. She's not affiliated with Ra's Al Ghul in this universe, is she?

Oh, dear, this again.

"Not the slightest." This will really be satisfying to see resolved, later...

And more alternates sucked into the beyond. Seriously, the payoff for this is going to be epic...

Good to see AGL in action. And one more piece in play for whatever the person behind the cracks is planning...

Correction:
    Looks like a tense error. 'targeted', perhaps?

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    'Killed' is tricky, but he has already thrown him into the sun.

Ah, sorry. Thank you, corrected.
    No, he got it cut.
    Thank you, corrected.

10. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

They actually dont know how to create Lazarus Pits and Nyssa doesn't have a reason to revive him when hes powerless.

11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

“Queen” and “Head of State.” Looks like Paul is in Eastern Europe’s Kaznia (as opposed to some foreign power visiting the U.S.). And Cheshire is headed along for the ride to a place between dimensions!

Oh dear, I think we might get a scene of this “Green” Paul draining Green Lantern Jade’s ring at some point. That seems like the sort of thing that’d cause a mass argument/fight to break out between multiple Jades and Pauls. Hmm. I wonder if Renegade-Paul remembers the comics well enough to avoid looting the “Green” lantern ring in the chaos, assuming they meet.

edit: Oh, and has anyone watched “The Boys”? How is it? I’m mostly asking Zoat’s opinion since he knows the source material and I trust his judgment on superheroics, but any With This Ring fan can chime in. Or privately message me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Actually NightmareWarden, i think that it makes perfect sense.
    Anti green doesn,t have a lantern and drains green light so mayde Green Lantern Jade has a lantern in subspace that she could recharge her ring with and give him some light.
    I am wondering how Sybarite will recharge if there aren't demons around for him to consume, unless OL gives him a lantern?

Will the OLC try to gain the white light so that they can bring back assimilated people back to life?

If not then will they figure out a way to restore assimilated people during the story, and if so then when?

DrThoth, Cuchulin and NightmareWarden like this.
  13. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

My main question is who and why is collecting alternate Pauls and Jades? What is the endgame here?

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I'm pretty sure they could offer her something.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Probably Red Queen Jade went crazy and now wants a harem. Since in this multiverse she keeps dating Paul, she wants the 2 people she’s been attracted to - through her iterations - herself and Paul as harem slaves. That or it’s Time Trapper Paul.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Wheenesss like this.
  16. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

This is how time trapper paul is sustaining his own universe, we are told he is cannibalizing other universes for their energy, the red queen was an step in his plan to make his universe real, and clearly so is kidnapping his and Jades/redqueen alter egos.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Will the paragon and renegade meet in the story?

Will the paragon meet Grayven, not renegade, just regular Grayven?

Were those gordanians at the peace conference working for Grayven?

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey can gods who aren't New Gods Awaken people like renegade does or not?

If they can't do they alter the souls of people they ascend to godhood in a diffrent way?

Do people need to be demigods in order to ascend to full godhood, or can they be mortals that somehow earned their ascension?

Aside from the Titans do other ancients beings, those that predate gods and were part of their creation story, like Ymir and that crocodile from Aztec mythology, exist in the universe of your story?

I recommend you read Reyels fic on Fanfiction net "Avengers Goddess", i really think you'll enjoy how the gods and various pantheons, of the MCU universe, are portrayed in the story.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Celestial archer was awakened by a Chinese goddess, so its fairly likely that some of them can... The bigger issue is WHY they would... I can only see some gods doing so under fairly particular scenarios.

Cuchulin, david and Prince Charon like this.
  20. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I may be misinterpreting this passage, but for what it's worth, bullets in a fire, outside of the barrel of a gun? Don't do much. The shell casing is much lighter and weaker than the bullet itself, so they just pop off, without the bullet moving very far. Because the casing is light and gas from the burning powder start escaping almost immediately, the casing debris both loses speed quickly and can't get too much speed to begin with.

It's extremely unlikely to create structural damage, even in residential construction. SAAMI has a great video floating around on YouTube on testing what happens when large amounts of ammunition are on fire (including 100k+ rounds in a simulated gun store) and the answer is... You'll get debris penetrating a single layer of sheetrock, but not two, and definitely not wood.

21. Mr Zoat

I have no plans for them to do so.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    It's not 'earned' so much as 'achieved', but yes.
    Not any longer.

22. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

You'd think that, but no. If we could somehow build a machine that absorbed gamma radiation to power itself it would solve quite a lot of problems. Aside from its potential to clean up irradiated areas by producing power, such a thing would potentially also be a perfect or near perfect gamma shield, one of the scientific unicorns that we hope to have a thousand years from now. Unfortunately gamma is FAR more energetic than the visible spectrum light that solar panels work with and tends to just punch through things.

I was under the impression that it was Timetrapper Paul and Red Queen Jade collecting their alternate selves and that it wasn't meant to be a mystery.

Ngamer11, Navi-Hank and Ardy like this.
  23. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Mr Zoat have you fighred out how you're going to keep all the Pauls from doing a tech exchange?

24. Mr Zoat

I haven't figured out a lot of things.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's Teen Titans GO VS Teen Titans.

26. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Personally I loved it, though I thought that the comic was stupidly dark and graphic just for the point of shock value and Garth Ennis' mean spirited dislike of all things superhero and the show toned it down enough to be realistic while still being pretty brutal at times
    Iirc it's less that he's cannibalising other universes and more that he's introducing small changes into their timelines which then snowball, forcing the Legion of Superheroes to fix it, collapsing the alternate timeline he created and ultimately giving him more energy with which to sustain his timeline than he started with

And his plan to solidify his timeline as a proper one somehow involves working alongside Red Queen Jade to kidnap their alternate selves

27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Okay, why does he have a ring? Wasn't the League and Superman going to help him?

That would mean removing the ring, therapy and so on.

What went wrong?

Gilhelmi likes this.
  28. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

I just found something rather interesting. I spent some time exploring the internet, and came across a website that seems to be a good source for anyone seeking to better understand Lantern capabilities and limits. I cannot fully attest to full accuracy, as I have not had time to check the sources, but it seems likely that it is mostly correct. I just felt that it might help to field any future questions about the canon Lantern capabilities compared to what happens in this story. From what I have read of my source, everything seems to line up (ignoring creative liberties that all authors must be granted).

http://www.dcuwiki.net/w/GLCWP_Great_Book_of_Oa

Gilhelmi and Ardy like this.
  29. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

It is early March in the Paragon's timeline, I am suddenly suspicious that Ambush Bug is behind the Kidnapping of the Paul's and Jade's because he is trying to 'ship' them.

Because in Justice League: Action, Booster Gold called on himself from a few dozen different universes to help in a pinch, they even have a calling tree to contact one another. Last "year", Ambush Bug used Skeets (connecting him 'somehow' to B.G.) when fighting Paul.

COINCIDENCE?!? probably, but I do love a good conspiracy theory.

Ngamer11, Chaoswind, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  30. Threadmarks: Gammadion (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Gammadion

4th March
    12:35 GMT

"…which meant that we were able to prove that the entire corporate governance team were involved in breaking the embargo."

I nod as Jade and I slowly proceed through the gardens of the Grand Forum.

"Is that all the Reach have going on here?"

"It's the only plot that we know about that was anywhere near being completed."

We stop in front of a cascading, red-flowered mini-tree. Like a… Willow with roses, and those ornamental red leaves? The scent puts me a little in mind of oranges. The species which inhabits this planet is really into gardening, and it's considered an honour to be allowed to work on their communal gardens. Somewhere near the entrance a couple of Delegates and the richest woman on the planet are on their knees doing the weeding.

"Has their economy adapted to the sanctions?"

"They knew that trading with the Reach was a risk. Most of the 'reputable' companies who had operations on the Reach side of the border already had procedures in place to try and prevent them sending anything 'inappropriate' back."

I let out a hiss-chuckle.

"And how well was that working?"

"About as well as you think. Their procedures weren't terrible, but the Reach has a lot of ways to try and get past border security and before we got here the planets they target weren't sharing information. They didn't know about things they'd tried in other places, or how other planets stopped them."

I nod.

"And that's being fixed now?"

She nods. "That's why they invited me here. There are Darkstars stationed on about thirty percent of Periphery worlds, now. Even when there aren't enough of us to actually investigate anything, we share data between ourselves and then pass it on to the planet's police."

She looks up towards the lights marking the space dock where the planet's small LEGION fleet lies at anchor.

"And now that there's a neutral party to police the trade routes, they're trading more with their neighbors. Without having to worry about 'unaligned' raiders cutting into their profit margins."

"The Reach haven't upped their game?"

"They're still trying to pretend that they're a peaceful trading empire."

I look at her with an expression of complete incredulity on my face.

"Really?"

She nods as she takes hold of a branch and gently lifts a flower towards her nose.

"We think it's a cover; we're supposed to think that they're still in the 'diplomatic protest' stage while they ramp up their infiltration efforts."

I nod. Seems to make sense.

"So, what now?"

"Now,-" She drums out the names of her three clicker colleagues on the tree's bark. "-and I are switching to training the locals how to use Maltusian equipment. LEGION is building a recruitment and training center. It's not likely that the Reach will try anything else here until the war starts."

I nod again.

"Are you finding the work satisfying?"

"I am." She releases the branch and turns back to me. "But you know that, don't you?"

"I'm not-" I tap my right forefinger against the orbit of my right eye. "-looking, but you have sounded pretty happy."

"Aside from a few days after they found out that I come from a world that's much less technologically developed than this one, they… Respect me. Respect my skills. I have friends and allies in the local police forces. I'm doing useful work without needing to do.. 'evil'. And every day I see the people, the.. civilisation I'm protect-."

She frowns.

"Is this part of a plan to get me to take an orange ring?"

I shrug.

"It's a potential outcome that I've considered. It's not something I'm specifically aiming for. We've… Had a couple more Lanterns we've had to put in the Blue Cells, so…" She nods. "I'm not trying to herd you in that direction. Maybe you eventually decide to try a ring again…" I shrug. "Maybe you don't. Either is fine."

She nods, takes my proffered right arm and then we resume our precession around the garden's highlights.

"What happened to your third ring?"

"I gave it to the team's new Zamaron member."

"Zamaron?"

"Half-zamaron. The other half is korugari. You remember I said that-."

"Star Sapphire recruited her?"

"Yes, and once she stopped freaking out about someone using the orange light, I gave her a ring to play with."

"Shouldn't you be supervising her?"

"She hasn't even put it on yet. She hasn't gotten further than holding it. She's had it drummed into her from birth that the other colours are bad and I'm not even sure that she can use it."

She nods, then waves at a local couple with her free hand. My rings tell me that their expression at seeing her is one of mild awe. I don't rate a second glance.

I smile inwardly. Positive reinforcement, that's the thing!

"Your mother went out vigilanting with Artemis last night."

Jade smiles faintly.

"I hope she doesn't nag her about that as badly as she does her schoolwork."

"Did she used to nag you about your knifework?"

"I… Don't remember it that well. I never hated her as much as I did Dad, but… I can only remember a few of our lessons together clearly."

"What did she-?"

"Can we-?" She shifts uncomfortably. "Talk about something else?"

"Sure. Ah, I managed to kill four more Justice League members yesterday."

"How badly did they do in the wargame?"

"I'd give them a 'B' overall. I'll make it a B Plus if they actually upgrade their equipment this time. Better still, the Sivanas think that if Mister Atom could kill that many Justice League members that easily, they were right to focus on fighting the sheeda, because…"

Her smile is a little less faint now.

"Did you tell the League about that?"

"I thought it best not to."

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019