1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mist Again

Mist Again Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

So I took a break from reading this fic for a year or so and boy did I miss a lot. I’d love to catch up again, but I’m hesitant.

Trans-humanist themes have a been a major part of this story since the beginning, and, to quote one biohacker, “One of the key concepts of transhumanism is morphological freedom, the freedom to make our own decisions about how our bodies look, feel, and function. I think this idea resonates deeply with many queers.”

I was saddened to read statements of gender essentialism from a trans-humanist like you Zoat. Gender non conforming people were some of the original biohackers, and ignoring trans people when including themes about morphological freedom is a real shame when they have such a big stake in it, and have been fighting for it since time immemorial.

Without them, well, you haven’t exactly shot yourself in the foot, but it seems you have been trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle without all the pieces.

Or not. I’m not one to rush to judgement usually, and where as ideally I’d try to catch up to see for myself, here I’ll ask if anyone on this thread to could briefly help me understand what’s going on queer people wise.

boo600, IsActuallyBatman and Cuchulin like this.
  2. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

Think you dropped an 's' in this title, unless Hawkman borrowed his wife's weapon to do some preemptive anger management.

3. Grek

Grek (she/her)

While Mr. Zoat has not edited the story or apologized for the Z-E-R-O arc, he has avoided anything similar for the past dozen or so arcs since then. Likewise, in the entire six year run of the story, he's posted similar content maybe three times total, including the arc that got him banned on SV. Up to you whether you'd like to read WTR with the understanding that the author is likely to post something that will offend you once every other year or so.

E: To remind people, this thread and this forum in general is not the place to post about whether or not you think a particular view on gender is correct. I'm intentionally leaving my opinion out of it and just commenting on what themes the story has contained in the past and is likely to contain in the future. Please DON'T reply to this with arguments about whether Zoat is Shitler or not. This is not the thread for that.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  4. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair, he can - as proven in the Syndicate universe when the DCAU League showed up - take down the League's core in under a second. He's not flawless by any means, but he is incredibly powerful and aware of all their weaknesses and able to take advantage of those weaknesses. He's more prepared than Batman and has instantly deployable hard counters to any of the other League members who have any means of touching him. Meanwhile the only decent hard counter I can think of to Paul is currently on the other side of the galaxy training to fight the Reach. And not exactly the safest counter to try to use even if she weren't.

I was going to comment on this....but no. That's a can of worms best left unopened.

All I'll say is that if you simply skip that arc you'll find the story since then is up to the standards you know.

5. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

Not to mention the fact that the League probably wouldn't be aware he was an enemy until the last moment, and that OL would probably call in Orange Corps assistance if it was a real fight. He has hard counters for League members that the League knows about, as well as likely possible counters he could have snagged from Earth Prime comic lore.

Gilhelmi and Navi-Hank like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Siskolous
    Do you mean Jade?

DrThoth likes this.
  7. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Comms were on the fritz from the radiation, so Man Dressed As A Bat being present would probably have improved their tactics.

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

C- They saved the day but they lost the Flash.

Chaoswind likes this.
  9. Mist Again

Mist Again Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

• Rule 8 warning. 'It's not about that but...' No. You don't get to rant about it and say it isn't about that.
    It’s not about being offended. People do plenty of offensive things everyday that I find distasteful, and there simply aren’t enough minutes in the day to be upset by every single one of them. Gender essentialism and misgendering is irritating, but hardly reaches the cruel depths of more active transphobia that kills and murders and rapes and harasses and evicts and fires and gaslights and refusals to treat and abuses and so on.

I’m interested in queer biotechnology because, as long as the queer people are being afforded the same respect as the AI are, I believe there’s a lot of untapped potential here.

boo600 likes this.
  10. Grek

Grek (she/her)

You'll probably want to take a look at Rule 8 then, because (as interesting the topic is) this is empathically not the place to discuss it due to the forum's ban on anything relating to current politics. You may also find these threadmarked moderation posts about said rule as it pertains to this thread informative. At the very least, you should PM a mod to double check that it's okay?

Cuchulin, Gilhelmi, Travisplo and 5 others like this.
  11. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

12. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Yes. There are several ways in which Jade can be used as a counter to Paul. The most direct would be mind controlling her to fight him because he would never be able to bring himself to want to hurt her. That's dangerous because if he detects the mind control before she brings him down you're screwed because he can counter that. You could also use her as a distraction or a foil in the hopes that his feelings for her are strong enough to shut down his rings, but given that he's enlightened that seems unlikely to work and even if it does he's got plenty of other toys tools to use.

Yet another reason not to open that can of worms.

Actually for a long time they had an announcement about Rule 8 in the banner aimed specifically at those of us who followed Zoat over from SV. Since it's gone now I can only assume the mods decided that we're all well behaved enough to not need the reminder. Let's not prove them wrong, k?

13. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Awesome, honestly Mr Atom could be answer to cleaning up other sites that have dealt with serious fallout and remove dangerous byproducts.

14. Grek

Grek (she/her)

I feel like having Mr. Atom and Captain Atom on the same team would be confusing. And everyone knows Zoat would never do something confusing with names!

15. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

A Mr. Atom and Captain Atom team up would be pretty strong, otoh.

16. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Is this meant to be Mr McCulloch?

Cuchulin, Chaoswind and Mr Zoat like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Will paragon and Jade continue their relationship, or will the break up like renagade did?

When is Jade going to make an apperence in the paragon side?
    When is Jade going to make an apperance in the renegade side?

When will crisis of Pauls and Jades happen, what year?

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Something that saddens me is the way so few people who took issue with what I said appear to have actually read it.

Neither I nor the SI have any problem with people changing their bodies however they want. There just happens to be a part of our language which refers to one particular trait.
    Thank you, corrected, thought that is an interesting idea.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No sign of them breaking up yet.
    Tomorrow.
    Pass.
    Probably 2012. Though it could happen in a lot of years.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Would anti green SI date Nyssa, if not then who?

Is Saul dating Charlotte, Super Dupers leader?

20. Mr Zoat

He's completely dependent on her to stay alive, he's her best chance to get her father killed. And is severely emotionally damaged. It... Probably wouldn't be a healthy relationship.
    No.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is Saul romantically involved with anyone?

What is going to happen to anti green SI now that Superman is back?

Gilhelmi likes this.
  22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Correction:
    *Comrades

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is Luna going to show up during the Equestria episodes?
    Will Discord show up?
    Will the Storm King?
    Will King Sombra?
    What year are we going to see the SI that ended up in Ame Comi universe, and what is the colour of his ring?
    In what universe did violet SI end up in?

24. Mr Zoat

No.
    Changed my mind. That's tomorrow. Jade's Friday.
    Yes. Quite a lot.
    Very briefly.
    Probably not.
    No.
    Probably never.
    I haven't decided that such an individual exists.

25. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I was thinking about the whole schizo-tech/Boss Smiley "why does all the super-advanced technology so rarely make it out to general public usage" plotline that's been running through the story from the beginning.

It's occurred to me that the SI has only ever recognized one half of the mystery. Yes, there's a question of why the general public doesn't start using the technology, but there's also the question of why Earth is the only place the schizo-tech appears in the first place. We've seen a lot of alien worlds by now, and it's clear that this phenomenon of "genius invents technology far beyond general tech level of their planet" just isn't a thing on most planets. Paul frequently seems to shrug it off as "that's Earth for you" while questioning the "why doesn't the public adopt it" aspect, but if you have two examples of abnormal events about a linked topic, there's a decent chance that they have a related cause. The question of why a robot like Mr. Atom could be invented with vacuum tube technology and why nobody else is making robots like Mr. Atom seem likely to be related questions, not separate questions.

On a related topic Mr Zoat, does the SI have any interest in acquiring the secrets of Mirror Master's technology for general usage? He's made Captain Cold's freeze gun a core part of his arsenal, as well as encouraging others to use it. Why not the Mirror dimension? Seems like it would have a lot of uses for easy transport that could compete with dolmon gates. Going by the origin story it doesn't sound like the "special mirrors" are very difficult to produce, though of course there may be factors of which we're unaware. If Mr McCulloch is primarily interested in money, OL could offer him more than he could ever spend.

Also on a related topic, magic and superscience are two of the hardest 'powers' in comics to deal with because they can do anything unless the writer decides they can't. You seem to have developed a pretty good sense of 'magical theory' for the DC universe that helps you decide what magic users can and can't do. Do you have a similar guiding philosophy for super-science that helps you determine, "Dr. Sivana can probably invent something that does 'this' but he probably can't invent something that does 'that'"?

26. Mr Zoat

The mirror universe is sufficiently weird that the SI is focusing on other things.
    No.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Well... a robot that feeds off of radiation isn’t really that hard to make. That’s preety much what anything solar powered is. The problem is making it efficient and making it able to gather radiation, while still having extra energy left over. As opposed to passively absorbing it, both of which are problems that could potentially be solved in the next 100 years with no problem.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Random thought, but the new Harley Quinn cartoon got me thinking: How has the increased prevalence of Hellenism in the public eye impacted the mental health of Maxie Zeus?

29. Threadmarks: Irritation
    Mr Zoat

Day 389
    1st September 2004
    01:44 GMT +2

"Well, sure, but I'm still not clear why you said no."

Mr Grayson… Has a posture a lot more like Batman's than I remember the comic version having. His voice even has the slight growl that Batman has. I suppose that might be a product of him not having been exposed to other superheroic influences; here, Tim Drake is a member of the Titans while Richard Grayson never was. So he never had that alternate model to base himself on.

"I thought that my response was fairly succinct."

The Justice League is expanding. Dramatically. As in, everyone who isn't a total lunatic -and a few who are- has been invited to sign up. And as the League's founding members give their big commencement speech, Nightwing and I are down here. On Earth.

"'Succinct' means brief and clear. It doesn't mean that it makes sense."

"You know I kill people, right?"

I think he frowns. The domino mask doesn't do much to conceal his identity, but it does make his expressions hard to read.

"I thought your ring made you do that."

"'Made' is a tricky one. It never literally puppeted me. I could have resisted. I could have chosen to remain dead."

"But it tortured you if you refused." I nod. "Is that why? You don't think you deserve it or something?"

"No." I shrug. "I'm not unusual for valuing my own life more than that of other people. But… Even under duress… Most of the time it didn't bother me… Anything like as much as I…" No. "I hadn't ever seriously considered killing anyone before-" I raise my right hand. "-this. But when I did it, when I went after the Shadows, it didn't bother me at all. And having had a lot of time to think about it… I don't regret killing them. I think it was right for someone to do it, and… If I was the man on the spot, okay."

"Oh." … "So the reason you aren't joining the New and Improved Justice League is that you don't want to stop killing people, even if you aren't being forced to do it."

"Basically, yes. I mean, I'm not killing everyone I fight-."

"Because someone would have stopped you by now."

I pretend not to notice him taking hold of one of his smoke bombs.

"Yes, let's go with that. But if they're sufficiently vile and have evaded justice before… Sure. And let's not forget that I've still got to kill Ra's al Ghul."

"Huntress is going to sign up, and she's sworn that she's gunna kill Steven Mandragora."

I raise my eyebrows slightly.

"Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts. How about you? What are you doing down here?"

He glances down towards the hotel we're both watching.

"Guess I just got used to being on my own."

"Which is why you've spent half an hour talking to a known serial killer. You like being on your own so much."

"I just want to keep you where I can see you."

"I glow green."

"How did you get Kaznian citizenship?"

"Do you want me to tell you something you might have to lie about to Batman-" He doesn't twitch so much as lose animation for a moment. "-later?"

"If we're going to be working together I think I better."

I fold my arms across my chest and look around, not focusing on anything in particular. "Have you ever hated an ex so much… That you wanted to throw them into the sun?"

"No. But I'm guessing I know what happened to Vandal Savage now."

I smile at him. "Look on the bright side: technically, he's not dead. In a few billion years or so he'll be right as rain."

Ring-

Ow and I don't even care.

-time to arrival?

The Queen's arrival-

There's an explosion from down the road!

-will be delayed indefinitely.

Shit.

Mr Grayson is already running along the rooftops as I shoot past him, my dome shield slamming into place around the royal limousine. The rocket targeted the lead armoured car, but it looks like it failed to penetrate. The car was spun around and I doubt that anyone inside is up to doing much right now, but that beats-.

I get the shield up just before the second rocket hits them. My shield fails, but that's fine: the anti-armour rocket has blown its load and the car's armour can easily cope with the rest.

And now I know where my assailant is hiding. Green javelins form in the air next to me and shoot forward, punching through a train station kiosk and causing the would-be assassin inside to dive towards the tracks, tossing the rocket launcher as they go. I form-.

Bullets slam into my environmental shield, and I send the javelin at the auto-turret instead of the assassin. It explodes, showering-. Damn it! One more javelin at the assassin, punching through their right lung as they flee and probably not killing them, then I generate a construct carbon dioxide extinguisher and start dousing the flames… The turret's batteries exploded, and the ammunition-.

Bodyguards from the rear vehicle have left their car, one going to the front car while the rest take positions around the limousine. Fire alarms ring, but I think that's the fires out. Structural damage… Relatively minimal. Bullets from the belts mostly went into the building, but it's solid stone. I'm a little worried-.

"Agh!" / "Yuggh!"

I turn as someone-. A woman with a sword, cutting down one of the bodyguards by the limousine while another has a knife in his throat. Mr Grayson drops off a building, diving at her. She effortlessly sidesteps, facing him as he rolls into a crouch-.

My green fist closes around her and lifts her into the air, the crushing pressure preventing her using any of her weapons. Green mini-dress, green thigh boots, long black hair. Ugh, custom weapons. A no-power would-be supervillain attempting to kill a head of state in her own country. Literally the only reason for me not to kill her immediately-

She spits, and a small amount of saliva is turned away by my environmental shield.

-is to find out who sent her. That could be worth…

Mr Grayson looks up at the sky as red light-

Shit did I miss a fire?

-shines down on the town.

"Do you have any idea what that is?"

It looks like the sky is… Cracked, for want of a non-ridiculous description. On the far side is a blood-red glow, and… Some sort of 'U' shaped object.

"No."

I create a shield-

"Acquisition successful." / "Acquisition successful."

-as whoever this is and I are pulled into the openi-.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  30. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

So, is this the forming of the Paul Corps...I mean if Col. Sanders has his own multiversal force, why can't he...